The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:23 pm

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ZSU's Item Sprites! 

I'm not that good at spriting, but I wanted to try my hand at a few projects. Please give feed back if you'd like! Thanks!

Fire Bar!

Making this one was kind of bothersome. I was having a difficult time making it feel like the bar was actually illuminating light (notice how the colors at the top of the bar are brighter). I also tried to make it so that it looked like the bar had some 3d elements to it. On the corners I put slightly different colored blocks, in an attempt to make it feel like the fire bar had the slightly slanted edges that it does in Smash 4.

I also made the top of the handle much darker than the rest of the sprite. This is so I could imitate the fact that the cube on the handle is covering it up, make it so that little light reaches that area of the bar.

Making the fire was also kind of tedious. I just couldn't get the right design down, but if there's a will then there's a way. Surely enough, I was to able to find something that I liked. Here's an image of the official Fire Bar (yes I know it has less fireballs...)

Pow Block!

This one wasn't really that hard to make. The only problem I had was the fact that it was two small originally. This meant I couldn't get all the detail I wanted. I also may have gone overboard with the gray shading. Here's the official version...

And for now...

The Metal Box!

This one was completely the books, and it turned out great (IMO). There's not much to say though. My only problem was making the exclamation mark fit within the box. Official version...

This is it for now, but expect more soon.

Last edited by 0_ZeroSuitUser_0 on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:06 pm
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: likiji123
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Hyper DBZ
Waifu: Robbie Rotten
None of the sprites are appearing...

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Hmm... the images don't show up.
You need to upload your images to a photo host (imgur most recommended) and copy and paste the generated link.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Fixed! We should be good now!

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:25 pm

MGN Username: Micbro
Currently Playing: Super Smash Brothers for 3ds, Super Smash Flash 2, Kid Icarus Uprising (after game stuff)
the pow block needs to be smooshed more and the fire bar's handle might look better with a 3d perspective but overall pretty impressive.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:39 pm

-Micbro wrote:
the pow block needs to be smooshed more and the fire bar's handle might look better with a 3d perspective but overall pretty impressive.

Thanks for the tips! I'm still working on 3d perspectives so hopefully I'll get there one day. However, I'll definitely go back and edit the pow block.

Anyway! Time for a new item! Introducing the Timer!

Making this was pretty difficult. This largely has to do with the amount of detail that went into the sprite. It was also a struggle to get everything to be symmetrical. The image above is pretty small, so here's a bigger once so that you can see what I mean.

Here's my source of reference.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:44 pm

MGN Username: MGoku9
Currently Playing: SSF2, Crash Tag Team Racing, Dragon Ball Budokai 2
Try comparing with Mario and some other items (like, the fire bar with beam sword) to see if the size and the way you make them look similar.

I am the base for Event #11: Laagggggg

== SSF2 ==
Flash Card #10

RIP Forums. Hope you're having a good day, though! Unless you main Marth /s.

Mon May 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Been working on a stage sprite of the Gameboy. It's not done yet, but it's pretty good so far.

Edit: The bottom part isn't meant to be seen, and so it will remain void of detail. Also, this is the Gameboy when turned OFF.

Edit again: Credit for sprites goes to SSF2 dev. team.

Also, source of reference... http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/images_extra/Game_Boy_Screen_Replacement_1st.jpg

Attachments:
oie_mZFsJfvQA5Cb.png
oie_mZFsJfvQA5Cb.png [ 71.61 KiB | Viewed 5802 times ]

Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 pm

Game Boy is on pause for a second, but I'm curious to know what your guys thoughts are on my first attempt at 3D spriting.

This stage is based on the dungeons seen in Startropics. Trying to make it was pretty difficult. Like I said, I've never done 3D before, but I think I did the best I could. I also tried to sneak a lot of references into the stage. You should be able to see them if you look close enough. However, some are pretty hard to spout unless you're a Startropics fan. However, this stage also isn't completely finished and saw I'll be adding a few more things. Stay tuned.

Here are some of the things I referenced...
[url]
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/startr ... pics-3.png[/url]

http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/st1.png

http://www.ign.com/static/test/top100/images/top100_nes_screenshots/35_startropics.jpg

Sat May 07, 2016 3:10 pm

MGN Username: Micbro
Currently Playing: Super Smash Brothers for 3ds, Super Smash Flash 2, Kid Icarus Uprising (after game stuff)
That is a nice informational post. what game is the stage designed for and I recommend to try out shading more areas on your sprites. Looks pretty good so far!

Sat May 07, 2016 11:31 pm

Decided to resprite the fire bar, clock, and metal box.

The clock is now much more circular and detail is way more reminiscent of the actual smash version.

Both the fire bar and metal box got a brand new 3d rendition.
~~~~

Hope these are of better quality, and I'd like to know all of your guys thoughts!

Wed May 11, 2016 5:18 pm

I recommend you to make your images smaller, since they lag the page a bit too much.

Wed May 11, 2016 9:30 pm

MGN Username: MGoku9
Currently Playing: SSF2, Crash Tag Team Racing, Dragon Ball Budokai 2
I'm still with mah tip.

I am the base for Event #11: Laagggggg

== SSF2 ==
Flash Card #10

RIP Forums. Hope you're having a good day, though! Unless you main Marth /s.

Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 am

YouTube Video:

Hey guys! So I finally finished respriting the StarTropics stage! Take a look!

I thought that the original stage was a bit to big. Not only that, but some elements of it just seemed to out of place and off. The new sprite looks much more focused and cleaned, but still manages to pack quite a bit of detail.

In case you were wondering, this stage is based off the dungeons in game called StarTropics. It's an RPG game that was produced by Nintendo for the NES. The stage itself is based mostly off of elements from the first game in the trilogy (enemies, dungeon design, etc).

In the front of the stage are three platforms that are casting shadows over the water. I honestly wasn't sure how to go about these. In StarTropics these platforms are basically just black rectangles coming from the water with green tops. The gray stuff on the bottom of them was me using some creative freedom. It's meant to give the sense that the color of the platforms has eroded away a bit due to water constantly hitting up beside it.

These three platforms are the main ones fighters duke it out on. The black spots on the green tops of the platforms are meant to be cracks, or just be their to give a sense of more detail. Just like the game, there's large caps between each platform. However, I decided to get a bit creative.

Character sprites are of course those of SSF2. Anyway, in StarTropics one of the bosses you face is Octo the Huge (see image below). He'll be attacking characters with his long tentacles, but the rest of his body is submerged.

And a better look at are Octopus friend...http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110811161647/nintendo/en/images/f/f2/ST3_-_Octopus.jpg

It was pretty hard making the tentacles, and they still look off to me. Also, the reason why these aren't animated is due to my computer receiving tons of lag due to all the different frames of animation. It should also be noted that the tentacles were once much more triangular, but stuff happened...

Anyway, let's talk about some of the background detailing. In the back is a single platform with a red top. These types of platforms were also often found in the dungeons of StarTropics. On top of the platform is a Jelly. These are basically the goomba's of StarTropics and pose basically zero threat. The flying creature is called a Nocto (specifically the red variation) and another enemy found in StarTropics. The Jelly was pretty easy to make, and Nocto sprite is almost completely identical the original.

Finally, we move to the far back. Like the original sprite, it's just a couple of stalagmites coming from the water (with one of the ceiling as well). I do think I did a better job at shading this time around. Anyway, that's it for now.

Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm

I think the stage is too small imo

Sun May 15, 2016 6:33 pm
 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next