The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Stars of Fate 

Well, that topic up there explained to us that we need to make stuff on our own, so I thought I'd make something instead of waiting.

Worked on this with a few friends, the idea mostly came from them. Story was written by one of them as well.
Hope you like it even a little bit.
---------------
"Oi, shtep a bit closher. I shee you fancee a tale and whatnot?"
The elderly gentleman beckoned you closer towards him, his tight corner in the tavern. You nod
and answer his call without question.
"Well, I've got a tale for you..."

1347. The Earl of Retensburg has finally conquered the last of his territory lost in the fifty years
struggle. He dueled against Thenza of the South and Oppenhiem the Handsome for those fifty
dreadful years. However due to this struggle, the world had become a wasteland. Major roads now
lay empty, debris and skeletal fragments strewn across the surrounding area. The earth is bare except
for the few kingdoms that remain strong, which pride themselves as the only proprietors of green acres
and suppliers of items to facilitate life. However, their rule is cruel, and the commoners are slaves to the
life-bringing supplies they give, reducing them to litter more than working for their needs, often in inhumane
practices. These cruel bastards build up monuments, pyramids, and fortresses of their oppression through the
labor of the people. Those who stand up are whipped back down into place by ferocious handlers, for as
much heart they possess, they have no strength when compared to the man who hold their lives by a thread
in his palm.

It is a time of bandits and criminals, not just the high and mighty rulers, but the street rats too.
Chivalrous duties and martial law have been shrugged off for the new rules of the land, and how the
weak suffer from this fate. Fires burn as entire villages are set ablaze by the tyrants of the wastes,
leaving behind a path of destruction as they roam about. They, unlike the rich, build statues of ash
from the glowing injustice they perpetrate. Humanity has been reduced to it's lowest levels. Great
Thinkers no longer exist, killed by their ineptitude in the study of warfare and those who cannot
fight are the first to be torn apart, unless they learn their place and bow to the rulers, for the
bandits have no mercy, no matter who the target may be.

But, as the night howls, there are stars in the sky that shine bright, for they are a new light for
the world. Those who cower in fear will soon have the ability to walk outside and dance in glee, for they are
to be saved. Judgment will be swiftly brought upon the corrupt....

Freeform RP, you move wherever you want, and events take place depending on what you decide to do.

- Magic doesn't exist, this is a bit more realistic fantasy, which also means one group of playable species, human
- You start out in a neutral party, but you are able to group with the bandits or kings at any time, just be sure to note that they aren't the most trustworthy people.
- No instant-kills, acting like a god, etc.

Link to the bio, or fill out the sheet below.

Name
Appearance

No biography, there is no need to explain your past, doesn't matter too much to the story, and you
probably will have the ability to explain it in the story.
----
Name: "Viper" (Real name will be revealed at a later date.)
Weapon: A longbow with blades retractable on either side, both blades being poisoned (numbing). Of course, there are the arrows in his quiver as well, with a seperate pouch for the poisoned ones.
Appearance: A white mask is always placed on his face, war paint in the form of red streaks, two on each "cheek" (of the mask of course), decorating it. This mask has two eyeholes that reveal poisonous (not literally) light green eyes. The breathing hole(s) take the form of black dots spreading across his mouth. He wears a simple light brown robe over a vest of the same colour, along with pants of a slightly darked brown and black boots. He also wears dark brown fingerless gloves. On his back is his longbow, although it's a rather plain one, nothing really standing out on it unless he unsheathes the two silvery blades hidden in its sides. His quiver hangs on his back, a woodlike brown strap holding it there while the quiver itself is dark brown, several black arrows contained in it as a pocket attatched to it holds slightly bigger arrows.
----
Isaac Warryn
Weapon: Longsword, Steel Buckler
Appearance: Few have seen what Isaac looks like, as his nickname "Man of Steel" is indeed one that has been earned. A hulking, clanking mass of relatively simple plate armor is worn on his body at nearly all times, complete with an armet devoid of the traditional helmet spike. Underneath the iron is yet another layer of armor, light chainmail surrounding his torso and legs. There is the odd time Isaac will neglect his armet, revealing dark brown hair and a battleworn face, a small straight scar running across a left cheek and down to the jaw. Ghostly emerald eyes often penetrate the darkness of Isaac's helm even through the slits, but it does little to frighten opponents compared to the oversized Longsword resting on his back, a hilt of silver allowing the grip of an iron five foot blade, the edge sharpened far past lethality. Its' large nature requires two hands to properly wield, hence why Isaac has fallen to a simple wrist-strapped round buckler for protection that is no larger then two feet wide. Beneath the armor is a somewhat physically fit man that is quite tall by the century average, a mere inch over six feet.
----
Name: Marnid of Rivacheg

Weapon: A blackjack

Appearance: Marnid himself was of medium of build, not muscular and slightly overweight, though the last few days without any real food had started to take its toll, his black eyes shadowed by black bags themselves and his equally black hair was ruffled. His cheeks now bony and with crow's feet by his wide eyes, he looked even less youthful. Wearing a white linen cloth tunic that went below his waste, brown leather pants, and fur lined boots, he had little else in the form of clothing. When the cold seasons set in, he sorely missed the warmth of a fire and good fur coat. Well the thing that held up his pants was a cord of rope and that was where he hung his blackjack as well. It was a black iron rod attached to the bludgeoning end which was still dull red after his last run in with a ruffian.
----
Name: Sigrun Wasylyk

Weapon: Small knife, more or less a Kard

Appearance: Sigrun sports medium (to around the shoulder area), olive-black hair (black with an ever so slight greenish tint. Barely noticeable unless light reflects from it) in a basic straight style with an overgrown braid running down the back of her slender neck. Her eyes are a brilliant, piercing shade of green and her facial expression is often a grave scowl. A lustrous emerald necklace, matching her eyes, decorates the neck. Sigrun's petite body is accentuated by a tight, black linen shirt and a medium sized, frilled, burgundy skirt. Medium length leather boots are worn on her feet. Additionally, she carries a book with her that contains instructions in incomprehensible script.
----
Name: Vincent Harvey
Weapon: Cestus on both his hands, and concealed knives in his sleeves.
Appearance : As himself, he seems average, his build isn't very muscular, nor overweight, he has brownish hair and grey eyes, and he gives a calm demeanor. He usually wears a coat to keep warm, and has brown leggings and boots.

As the “Hanged Man”, he wears a dark leather jerkin, with a cap over his left arm. He has a noose wrapped around his neck, although it has been shortened over time to avoid any actual hanging accidents. He also wears a featureless mask over his face, and wrapped his head with bandages to cover his “burns”.
----
Name: Tiandra "Tia" Delmonte

Weapon: Bow and a series of modified arrows. Her quiver contains the traditional arrow, the sharp needle pointed arrowhead used for piercing, the four-pointed arrowhead used for gripping. She also carries black powder and a toxic concoction in the bottom of her quiver.

Appearance: Tiandra is slightly taller than the average woman with a rigid stature that gives the impression of her being commanding. Her body is slim though her arms and legs are well toned from her use of the bow and arrow and her great lengths of travels. Her hair is straight and auburn in colour, the length of up to the midsection of her back. Her bangs are long and parted to the side of her face. Her complexion is slightly tanned from her time outdoors. Her eyes are amber in colour and are almond shaped. Her expression is usually warm and friendly, though in these times one may find it hard to always appear to be warm. On a leather strip a sapphire ring is hidden under her violet long shirt. A brown belt hangs on her waist making the long shirt appear to be a skirt as well. She has blue leggings and leather boots that stop at her knees. Her bow is violet with silver inscribed on it, as is her quiver which always hangs from her back.
----
Dartreigh S. Landross [Dart]

Weapon: Dartreigh primarily uses a short javelin that can be used for stabbing or throwing. The tip had started to rust, but it is just as effective. His only other weapons are four throwing knives in a pouch on the left side of his waist.

Appearance: Dart is an albino, which is considered to be a curse or an act of evil just to be alive from where he had came. His hair is more of a dull gray than silver, he has very long and wild bangs that completely cover his eyes (though he can still see), he also has side burns down to his chin, but the back of his head is relatively short, which makes his hair look more round and elegant. His eyes take on a slant that give him a constantly depressed face, he has red pupils, of course, they also take on the shape of a vertical oval. His nose is slender and his mouth is wide, which always keep a stern face. He is a bit below the average height of the time, although it doesn't make him seem very short. The javelin he keeps on his back when passive takes a brown-orange color, the tip is long and comes from a short metal rod extending from the pole holding it. On the top of the pole which holds the steel object is a bell-shaped "guard" with a simple zig-zag design depressed on the shape; something he hasn't noticed is that his javelin is actually bent at a very slight angle in the middle of the pole. His throwing knives are dirty and have short hilts. He has relatively simple clothing, a black tunic with an undecorated red belt, loose brown pants and a pair of asymmetrical peasant shoes.
----
Akil Abham

Weapon: Akil's main weapon is a large, brown bow that he made himself from a fallen oak tree. Although he'd prefer his bow any day, he is also fairly proficient with a large variety of daggers and short swords.

Appearance: Like most Arabs, Akil has soft brown eyes, medium-light skin, and a full head of black hair. He has thin black eyebrows and a rounded face, Making him appear friendly. These days, the majority of middle-class peoples can't afford more than one outfit, but Akil was blessed with two. His first one is fairly normal, a loose fitting gray tunic that has certainly seen better days. This is mostly used during casual occasions where his tougher second outfit isn't needed. This second suit is a brown, hardened leather vest and pants. It is usually used during hunting outings, where bandits and animals would tear through his casual clothes. Unlike a large number of peasants, Akil prefers to put in the effort required to keep his clothes and body clean.

Last edited by Ingrid on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Waifu: I'm married
It's a good start, but it would help to flesh out the intro. Be more in-depth. Nobody will criticise you for giving as much detail as possible. This will end up as yet another idiot-fest unless you can attract the interest of better Rp'ers. To do that, you'll need a better intro. You're obviously smart enough to do it.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:45 pm
YIM WWW

Okay, more detail applied.

But it probably isn't sufficient unless you can explain to me what I need.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Well, some details about the world would be nice.
Also, try laying down some guidelines for how you want it to be played.

For example, Does this world have more than one race? Does it have magic? If so, then you need to describe the applications of the magic and its limits.
Speaking of limits, shouldn't you specify what limits our characters have? After all, nobody knows if they can be a king, high ranking bandit, etc.
There's plenty more you could do to flesh it out. You'll find it's much more interesting to Rp- especially as the Gm- when the Rp itself is detailed and organized.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm
YIM WWW

I assumed that the reader would be perceptive enough to notice that the backstory does not explicitly include magic, races other than humans, and that they are the "Stars" and therefore cannot be a king or bandit.
The world is explained as a desolate wasteland with three major kingdoms scattered about. The kingdoms are the only spots for miles that have green surroundings and are the only havens of life outside of small villages that dot the land. But the kingdoms are also a source of tyrannical rule. Bandits often travel to the small villages and threaten them to extort supplies and such, then destroy the villages after they are exhausted of what the Bandits desire.
All of that was in the backstory. I expect an individual to use reasoning to figure this out.

From previous experience and observations, a Freeform RP does not traditionally employ limits outside of what is specified in the story, therefore I assumed that people would read the story and comprehend the main gist of it.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
Once I'm done with me exams, I will consider this.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Looks pretty good. I'd join this if you'd let me.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Ingrid wrote:
I assumed that the reader would be perceptive enough to notice that the backstory does not explicitly include magic, races other than humans, and that they are the "Stars" and therefore cannot be a king or bandit.
The world is explained as a desolate wasteland with three major kingdoms scattered about. The kingdoms are the only spots for miles that have green surroundings and are the only havens of life outside of small villages that dot the land. But the kingdoms are also a source of tyrannical rule. Bandits often travel to the small villages and threaten them to extort supplies and such, then destroy the villages after they are exhausted of what the Bandits desire.
All of that was in the backstory. I expect an individual to use reasoning to figure this out.

From previous experience and observations, a Freeform RP does not traditionally employ limits outside of what is specified in the story, therefore I assumed that people would read the story and comprehend the main gist of it.

You don't HAVE to do anything, I simply meant it would be much more helpful to be as specific as you can- I think just about everyone here would agree when I say that a lack of direction tends to dry up.
But if you don't want to do it, or you have something else in mind, i'm not really in a position to tell you otherwise.
Also, I do plan to join this.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 pm
YIM WWW

If you want, you may start writing your bios for it.

I'm open for applicants at any time.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Name: "Viper" (Real name will be revealed at a later date.)
Weapon: A longbow with blades retractable on either side, both blades being poisoned (numbing). Of course, there are the arrows in his quiver as well, with a seperate pouch for the poisoned ones.
Appearance: A white mask is always placed on his face, war paint in the form of red streaks, two on each "cheek" (of the mask of course), decorating it. This mask has two eyeholes that reveal poisonous (not literally) light green eyes. The breathing hole(s) take the form of black dots spreading across his mouth. He wears a simple light brown robe over a vest of the same colour, along with pants of a slightly darked brown and black boots. He also wears dark brown fingerless gloves. On his back is his longbow, although it's a rather plain one, nothing really standing out on it unless he unsheathes the two silvery blades hidden in its sides. His quiver hangs on his back, a woodlike brown strap holding it there while the quiver itself is dark brown, several black arrows contained in it as a pocket attatched to it holds slightly bigger arrows.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Bah, why the hell not. If nothing else making a fresh bio will keep me in practice.

Isaac Warryn
Weapon: Longsword, Steel Buckler
Appearance: Few have seen what Isaac looks like, as his nickname "Man of Steel" is indeed one that has been earned. A hulking, clanking mass of relatively simple plate armor is worn on his body at nearly all times, complete with an armet devoid of the traditional helmet spike. Underneath the iron is yet another layer of armor, light chainmail surrounding his torso and legs. There is the odd time Isaac will neglect his armet, revealing dark brown hair and a battleworn face, a small straight scar running across a left cheek and down to the jaw. Ghostly emerald eyes often penetrate the darkness of Isaac's helm even through the slits, but it does little to frighten opponents compared to the oversized Longsword resting on his back, a hilt of silver allowing the grip of an iron five foot blade, the edge sharpened far past lethality. Its' large nature requires two hands to properly wield, hence why Isaac has fallen to a simple wrist-strapped round buckler for protection that is no larger then two feet wide. Beneath the armor is a somewhat physically fit man that is quite tall by the century average, a mere inch over six feet.

Relatively small. I would have been glad to do a background, but as you said, it's most likely best off being incorporated into posts. Then again if I fail to post, I can always write a background anyway.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:45 am

"
No biography, there is no need to explain your past, doesn't matter too much to the story, and you
probably will have the ability to explain it in the story."

Is this a joke? I skipped every post, and skimmed through the first, but seriously?

I mean, no character background sets no restrictions to how that character can act, really. Things can be made up on the spot, giving them experience in certain areas, and things that will easily kill an RP.

From my experience, only one of three things really happen when you don't have a background for characters. Either 1.) The RP dies out. 2.) The RP is overthrown with people who don't know what they're doing. 3.) People just bicker about other's characters and what they think that character should/shouldn't know.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:23 am
Site Admin

I always find Bios fun too ^.^ But that could be just me >.> I'll join this.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Belth wrote:
I mean, no character background sets no restrictions to how that character can act, really. Things can be made up on the spot, giving them experience in certain areas, and things that will easily kill an RP.

Well, Belth, if the members are competent enough it shouldn't be a problem. It has a certain degree of a "trust factor" going for it, and the DM can always call s*** at any time for something that the character shouldn't know.

Still, you're right. A background for bios would negate any problems that might come up.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Belth:
1. I completely trust the better judgment of the players, but if they allow their freedom to go out of hand, punishment would be swift.
2. Does it really bother you that much? If it bothers you, then go off and entertain yourself somewhere else. I believe I have the right to experiment to a certain extent with how I run my RPs. If you don't like it, then it is your problem, not mine.
3. I am NOT completely barring bios, I merely explained that they aren't as important in this, but you can write them if you want. More than half the time a bio barely influences how the player controls his/her character unless they specifically write that way. It is easy and reasonable to let something about your family slip out in a conversation and have that build up, morphing into an investigation of your past by the group. You could also ad lib moments where you have the freedom to change what hasn't been written, and it could turn out that two characters knew each other in the past. In my opinion it leads to more interesting possibilities to move the story forward and allows the characters to grow in a new way.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:15 pm
 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next