The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:18 pm

[ 7 posts ] 
Question. 

Answer, then lock.
In RP battles, is it preferable to post decent long RP posts, for the sake of detail, but then make it seem like the actions are the slowness of a slug on the moon, or to just do fast posts, but then showing your characters to dangers but also making it fast-paced?
In other words, how do we RP battle correctly?

Wed May 27, 2009 8:06 am

Currently Playing: The Game
It is up to you in my opinion. Every RPer decides for themself.

Left unlocked if anyone disagrees.

Wed May 27, 2009 8:15 am
Site Moderator

Well, if you look at good books, they can spend an entire page explaining how much hair a character has. And it works. So, in my opinion, describing in minute detail without having a lot happening is the best way.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2, Osu!, FTL, Cortex Command, Hearthstone
Personally, I feel that (I, being a amateur RPer) it either depends on what you want to lead your opponent to do. (You said RP battles) I'm guessing that a long, distractive post forces upon a form of weariness upon someone, as they read such a post. It all depends on the type of person. Psychology.
Also, It may also be preferable to post as such how your character actually thinks. If they are a fast-paced, "live life when it comes" type, then short posts may be preferable, but to the people that are always seemingly in a "bullet time" state may need more detail.

Like Thai said, it's up to you.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:01 pm
Legendary Ghost

Location: Where angels fear to tread, and man is but a cautionary tale.
Yea, mine are always 'Bullet-Time'

My character is one of cunning and speed. But at the same time i want to expose the fact she isn't invulnerable and has weakness's, which i hint at.

I prefer depth and detail, quick posts to me leave alot of holes.

"Ok so all you did was type you're slashing your sword at me?" Well you didn't say anything about how well defended you are, your characters composure, mental state, combat positioning, or power behind the attack. How much force is behind it? where is he aiming?. Its like they're just slashing at me waywardly and without concentration.

When an opponent doesn't provide those kind of details, its like they're leaving themselves wide open. It leaves so many options for me to reasonably counter-act with well within the bounds of RP, whilst not god-modding, that it becomes an easy fight.

To me, when you strike an opponent, you should be trying to assess what their character is capable of doing within the limit of what you know about them.

You're not going to expect my character Niniva, for example, to pick up boulders and chuck them at you. You arent going to expect her to take a hard hit, since she's rather frail. This all intertwines with what i believe a character profile is for, which is providing this kind of information pre-preemptively. I also believe you should read prior fights the character has been in, looking for weak points. When i fight, i hope my opponent catches onto the stature of my character and what would be effective in victory.

I'm almost more satisfied when my opponent has bested me, rather than when i best them.

Just my 2 cents.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 am

Waifu: I'm married
Nini wrote:
Yea, mine are always 'Bullet-Time'

My character is one of cunning and speed. But at the same time i want to expose the fact she isn't invulnerable and has weakness's, which i hint at.

I prefer depth and detail, quick posts to me leave alot of holes.

"Ok so all you did was type you're slashing your sword at me?" Well you didn't say anything about how well defended you are, your characters composure, mental state, combat positioning, or power behind the attack. How much force is behind it? where is he aiming?. Its like they're just slashing at me waywardly and without concentration.

When an opponent doesn't provide those kind of details, its like they're leaving themselves wide open. It leaves so many options for me to reasonably counter-act with well within the bounds of RP, whilst not god-modding, that it becomes an easy fight.

To me, when you strike an opponent, you should be trying to assess what their character is capable of doing within the limit of what you know about them.

You're not going to expect my character Niniva, for example, to pick up boulders and chuck them at you. You arent going to expect her to take a hard hit, since she's rather frail. This all intertwines with what i believe a character profile is for, which is providing this kind of information pre-preemptively. I also believe you should read prior fights the character has been in, looking for weak points. When i fight, i hope my opponent catches onto the stature of my character and what would be effective in victory.

I'm almost more satisfied when my opponent has bested me, rather than when i best them.

Just my 2 cents.

I feel the same way sometimes.
If I get defeated, it's always because the opponent took an analytical or clever approach to my character, and the character was developed enough for them to do so.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:14 pm
YIM WWW

You should at least give enough details to give an opponent a chance to expose or take advantage of a certain mistake, or miscalculation your character made. Or even just give enough details to make it ample to make an image in your mind. If you can actually visualize what's happening, it should be good enough.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:05 pm
 [ 7 posts ]