The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:13 pm

[ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next
Album a day in February -- with MG! 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
Esper wrote:
my headphones broke early last month and I assumed I'd have new ones by now, but I don't

so I might be a little late in participating

: (

thats ok bb
hope you get new ones soon

Scott wrote:
#2 - MF DOOM - MM.. Food

yeah, i figured as much. basically what logan said. i love madvillainy but there's nothing particularly dazzling about doom himself. he's nice and i like him and i think that most albums he's been a part of are nice hip hop albums. nothing mindblowing.

blossom wrote:
BT - Binary Universe

i liked that preview, i think i'll give that record a listen sometime! hope you had a nice day at work too

Auraka wrote:
Second album!; Art by Numbers - Reticence: The Musical. requested by term :)

i'm not reaaaally a fan of those previews but prog metal isn't really my cup of tea anyway. i'm glad you dug the record though :~)

Term wrote:
Today:
Mezzanine by Massive Attack

mmm, i'm really glad you liked mezz! it definitely has an amazing atmosphere, very dark and groovy and sexy. i get what you mean about the vocals, and when i was first getting into massive attack i honestly preferred the female vocals (and to some extent i still do) but i've really come around on the male vocalists. i love 'em. i really like horace andy's voice so man next door and angel and (exchange) are all very nice to me, but i can definitely understand why someone wouldn't dig 'em, especially at first.

you're definitely right about the album being a grower, it gets better the more you listen to it. if you give it a while it could easily end up being a favorite. : )

Nixter wrote:
The Antlers - Hospice

i liked this album the first few times i heard it, but after a while it lost its touch. the depressing mood and the vocals started to irk me, and now it's pretty much unlistenable entirely. i still see the appeal but it's not an album i like anymore. i'm happy you liked it though!

SYLVIA, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE OVEN

Arel wrote:
Invention by Daedelus

that's another favorite of mine! it took me a while to really appreciate, but i love how warm and comfy it is. it's great.

anyway, i'm gonna listen to nick drake's bryter layter and i'll be back to write about it~~~

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm
Site Admin

Well, here we are.

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter

First of all, I'd like to say that Nick Drake has a really beautiful voice.

Anyway, I've listened to part of this album before, and I'm enjoying it even more now than before, Very beautiful and melodic acoustic folk music. Some jazzy parts, lots of pretty string arrangements. Nick's songwriting is superb, and his voice fits great with the music.

I don't really have too much else to say about it. It's not a fairly complicated album at all, very easy to listen to and very very nice. I liked it a whole bunch.

I guess I'd say it's about an 8/10 to me. I really enjoyed it a whole lot, all the way through. I definitely wanna give it more attention in the future. Favorite tracks: Hazy Jane II, One of These Things First, Northern Sky.

Very cool album. Very beautiful. I see why Logan likes it so much.

Blue wrote:

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
I hear what you're saying about Hospice. I do really like the album, but I find I usually only listen to sad albums when I'm already sad myself. Wallowing in pity, I guess. As I've grown older I've realized that's kind of a bad mindset to be in lol. So I don't end up spinning the whole album very much

That said, blasphemous as it may seem I do listen to some of the tracks alone from time to time. Some of them have a certain sing-songy quality, y'know? Like Kettering, Two and Epilogue.

It's a haunting album, though. For what it is, it's brilliant. I think the difficulty a lot of people have listening to it is a testament to that.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:15 pm
Site Admin

i found it to be really enjoyable and haunting when i first heard it a few times, and to be honest sylvia and shiva aren't bad tracks (theyre the only ones i still like, really)

the album is just really stale to me now, the emotional factor doesn't do it for me anymore. i can totally see why anyone would like it, i just don't anymore

Blue wrote:

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:19 pm

MGN Username: blossom
I'm gonna have to agree as well w/ doom being p average. though I loved dangerdoom to death, 2006 adult swim & everything

Nixter wrote:
BT sounds great to me on paper, but for some reason I've never enjoyed any of his stuff :c maybe I'll revisit him sometime....

yeah I don't really care for most of BTs stuff, I was super bummed out when he released his next album and it wasn't anything like This Binary Universe. not like I hate it it's just not what I wanted at all

bear sounded nice, the album idea sounds interesting but I don't have time to listen to another full album today ): Kettering was great, albums on my list!
Lukepi wrote:

hope you had a nice day at work too

aww thx xo, totally love landscaping in freezing snowrain

love your album pick again, or atleast those 3 songs
"one of these things" is like mad relaxing dude

@term & arel
Mezzanine is super duper good & I'm glad you 2 like it too

@ kittenpuncher
I listened to opeth like 2 years ago and loved it but I never actually got any albums of them and completely forgot about them
what should I start with?

@ auraka
30 seconds into delusions of grandeur and i already want this album, super cool!! like wow i'm into this
au revoir is also soliddd

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:25 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
wow you do landscaping? cool.

you dudes ready for DAY 3?!?!?

gunna be listening to CYNIC

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Nixter wrote:
The Antlers - Hospice

Well... This album impacted me pretty hard, and I'll tell you why. The Antlers are a post-rock/indie rock band from New York, and this is the first record I'm hearing from them, Term showed me these guys so I picked this album due to his recommendation, so, enough about that, lets get to the review!

This album happens to be a concept album, a story of the relationship of a hospice worker (so someone who works for terminally ill people) and a woman who has a terminal bone cancer disease, and it dives into the melancholy and problems this situation arises for the two. Damn. The album is very depressive, the intro presents itself and you already know that you're going to have your eyes water at the very least by the end of the record, this record is lush, detailed, ambitious, self-reflective, and very touching; from the instrumentation of strummed acoustic guitar, the soft, minor chords of the piano to the twinkling electronics that appear and disappear like fireflies to the strings that stick to you, and of course the soft spoken words of the singer, this album weaves between long, droning notes to more active indie rock, you almost feel like the album itself is ill and can only do so much before it has to go back to resting, deep stuff indeed. This album itself is fairly easy on the ears, save a few moments, the track Atrophy goes into such a humming, droning noise-fest, the emotional and aural intensity it gives puts anyone in a stasis, it flurries around with bells as it wanes, draining you of your energy, then coming back with some acoustic guitar then goes into one of my favourite tracks: Bear a good single from this album, and one of the more lighter song, it's a nice boost and lets you get ready for the rest of the album, the least favourite track here for me is Two. Mainly for it's repeated acoustic guitar riff that goes on and on, it's not interesting, it's kind of annoying, the track itself is 4 seconds shy of being 6 minutes, and it kind of overstays it's welcome. The rest of the album is much more self-aware and even the more slow songs like Thirteen know not to drag on and throw in some diversions. Finally, I'd like to say the lyrical content is something to be looked into, the lyrics are very, very painful and full of sorrow, they cut deep, and a lot of them can probably be reflected into your own life, it's poetry, very good stuff.

I rate this album an 8/10; should you be looking into this album, listen to it from start to finish, hence why I only put one single as a link, I urge you to check out this record if you like acoustic/folk music, post-rock, concept albums, or even looking into the more involving sides of indie rock.

excellent review nix

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:50 am
YIM WWW

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
thanks kp, means a lot :D
your reviews tell it like it is, i like that c:

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
way to ruin the fun and not get mad at me calling doom average guys, damn

Nixter wrote:
The Antlers - Hospice

DONT EVER LET ANYONE TELL YOU YOU DESERVE THAT

in the process of listening to April. #02 right now, write up will come later
why did i pick kashiwa daisuke for this month i have no idea how to write about this

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:13 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
#3: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02
Electronic/Post Rock/Neo-Classical (?)

i told you i wasnt sure how to describe this: show
Another artist I'm sort of familiar with. I really enjoyed Program Music I, which surprised me, as I'm usually quick to write off music of that sort (i'm a disgusting philistine etc).
As I mentioned in the post above, I'm not entirely sure how to describe my experience with this album without sounding extremely vague (oh yeah that piano sounded nice) so I apologize in advance if this isn't very informative.

I enjoyed this album. It starts off with a nice little piano driven track called Do Re Me?. While this track is good, it's nothing outstanding. It does get a bit glitchier as it goes on, which is cool. This track doesn't matter though, because coming up after it is April.#02, which is a monstrous track clocking in at 27 1/2 minutes. Easily the greatest song on the album, April.#02 is an enjoyable listen throughout its entire runtime. Going into detail about every little moment on this track would be a little too daunting for me, so you can listen to the track here (part 1) and here (part 2) if you really have the time, but it really is something you have to just sit down and listen to so I won't blame you for not checking it out.

April.#02 is honestly too good. While the rest of the songs on the album hold their own (except for Airdrop, which drags to the point where its climax isn't even very enjoyable), April.#02's placement in the tracklist all but ensures you spend the rest of the album going "Man, I really wish I was listening to April.#02 right now".
As I said before though, the other tracks ARE good. Deepblue is the second best track here, and at 8 minutes long, I can actually recommend checking it out after reading this. You'd honestly get a better feel for the album listening to that, because aside from saying "it's glitchy post rock" there's not a whole lot I can say, and just saying that wouldn't do this album justice. You'll just have to trust me and check it out, honestly.
Overall: 7.5/10. Airdrop is disappointing, and the title track's placement does end up making the album feel disjointed, but the other tracks here make up for these few flaws. Especially the title track.

hire me, p4k
honestly just listen to Deepblue. idk. nice album though

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:31 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
Can I start late with not many albums?

Due to how much free time I have (all day, every day), and my really picky taste in music, if there's an album I want to listen to, I do it. I also don't have a big list of albums. And I usually listen to all of them fairly regularly. So that left me with a lot of trouble choosing. So here's the 3 I have so far.
If I find/think of more, I'll add them.

If for whatever reason you're interested in any of them, you can click them.
ImageImageImage
About the albums: show
Dragoide - Black Lines
I listen to Dragoide's discography fairly often, but I've never really given this album a proper listen. I don't think it's going to be anything special, compared to their other music.

Thrupence - Lessons
This album comes out on the 7th, hopefully. I've listened to and enjoyed everything Thrupence has released so far, so this should be pretty great.

Reasoner - Prologue
This is an album I bought a long time ago. I remember it quite fondly, but I haven't listened to it in a long time.

My brother wants me to play through all the campaigns in the Halo Master Chief collection with him, which comes out on the 11th. So, that day, and probably many following, I won't be listening to anything.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Yeah, you're welcome to pop in dude!

Today:
Kid A by Radiohead
Preview: Idioteque

I don't get Radiohead

I tried listening to OK Computer a few years ago and left feeling like I just didn't get it. Kid A is kind of the same way but to a lesser extent

There are some moments on the album I really enjoyed, like Idioteque and the first notes of Everything In Its Right Place (a brilliant way to open an album, by the way). There are some really pretty bits within the album's odd atmosphere, and the kinda jazzy bit for the last half or so of The National Anthem was crazy cool -- but as a whole I'm still kind of confused about Radiohead. I don't think their work is bad, but the fact that they're so overwhelmingly popular with a sound that seems somewhat inaccessible to me is just kind of confusing.

Anyway, the album's definitely a grower. I'm not really sure I'm interested enough to give it a ton of attention, but I think I will spin it a few more times at least, just to give it a fair chance.

Rating: Okay

Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:24 am

Radiohead is garbage music for people who want to kill themselves

Source: Luke's mom

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:27 pm

3rd album!; Memtrix - Voodoo EP

Okay album, contains of 9 drum and bass / neurofunk songs. Soo yeah pretty good electronic stuff, nice sinth work and drum and bass beats.
All these songs are about as good as each other, there's not really one that protrudes from the others. They begin with a good and sometimes soft intro that slides into the drum & bass jams.
Here's an example song: Memtrix - Limelight

although the songs did became a bit less swell after I listened to like 8 songs, like, they're all individually good songs but listening to much to this stuff becomes just, ehm, less enjoyable, not sure how to explain that well.

Rating overall: Pretty good, you might want to check it out if you're in the mood for dnb

Blossom: show
blossom wrote:
BT - This Binary Universe

So this album consists of 7 tracks over 73 minutes. Each track is beautiful. Every track is it's own personal adventure. They all progress wonderfully. The tracks start out quiet and pretty, and end up becoming really powerful sounding tracks. I can't pick a track I like most, every song has its own awesome moment that just makes me feel all bubbly inside. I could write endless positive things but no not today.

Wowww, really enjoying this preview, super chill atmosphere and powerfull at the same time, definitely gonna save it to my intend to-listen log

Nixter: show
Nixter wrote:
The Antlers - Hospice

Well... This album impacted me pretty hard, and I'll tell you why. The Antlers are a post-rock/indie rock band from New York, and this is the first record I'm hearing from them, Term showed me these guys so I picked this album due to his recommendation, so, enough about that, lets get to the review!

Whew you're good at reviews nix, nice write up!

Luke: show
Lukepi wrote:
Anyway, I've listened to part of this album before, and I'm enjoying it even more now than before, Very beautiful and melodic acoustic folk music. Some jazzy parts, lots of pretty string arrangements. Nick's songwriting is superb, and his voice fits great with the music.

After going through some of your previews I have to say, I agree man, what a voice! Super calm and flowing perfectly with the music, I might listen to his full album sometime, maybe next time with An album a day month.

scott: show
Scott wrote:
April.#02 is an enjoyable listen throughout its entire runtime. Going into detail about every little moment on this track would be a little too daunting for me, so you can listen to the track here (part 1) and here (part 2) if you really have the time, but it really is something you have to just sit down and listen to so I won't blame you for not checking it out.

I listened a bit of part 1 and it sounds really interesting, deep and unique to me so I'll listen to this later when I've got some more free time on my hands
Scott wrote:
honestly just listen to Deepblue. idk. nice album though

lol what, that intro haha, I love this glitchy and emotional sounding tune man!!
I'm keeping Kashiwa Daisuke in my mind for later

Btw I know that I often say that I love stuff but I mean it everytime lol, I like almost every kind of music really

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:13 pm

MGN Username: blossom
Girlfriends self titled
This album name is your price free by the way

Ok so "The Apocalypse Made Me Brave" is really up there in my fav songs, but I don't know the album otherwise.

initial thoughts: show
Patrick Ewing
Opens up with a pleasant 1 minute song . Fades in for a while, then at full volume adds a nice drum loop and some faint vocals. I wouldn't like this song as much if it was longer, but it works really well as a quick minute song.

Brobo Cop
Same loops all the way, the only thing is his voice, which even then he repeats some parts. but I don't feel these are negative things personally, I really like this song actually

Yeah!? What's It Tuba!?
this album has wonderful titles!
feels like the same formula, but I'm not sick of it yet

Untitled #6
I love the vocals, the loops are always awesome and paying attention to those quite is really fun. 1:50 adds normal vocals to it, and then loops it for a while. but the shouted vocals keep doing variations and each loop is fun to look forward to
song has a nice quiet ending with some pretty glitch. Really loved every part of this song

New Computers
I like the quicker addition of the more heavy sounds. Loud enough to feel like it's something important enough to listen to than just the main loop.
Ok so its just the main loop and some really good drums side by side and it's great.
absolutely love the drums which is something I don't say very often. Oh and the ending is fantastic

Bernie Mac Attack
this track's my friend's fav track, can't say it's mine but it's good song
Quote:
words are too slow,
so let's talk with our bodies.

Chex Urself B4 U Rex Urself
7th song in and it's starting to make me feel like he just loops the entire album with one loop i swear this one's been used once and had close similarities to the rest, idk man
every other part of the song sounds great, and it's not like i'm sick of the loop yet

Untitled #3
1 note loop it never goes away aaaaaa
I can't focus on the other parts too well because my mind won't forget that starting part.
kind of a negative point, i'll have to relisten to this song another time. It starts out really loud in the left speaker then quiets down and goes to the right, but it's just too overpowering for my mind atm
it sounds awesome and the vocals are amazing in though

The Apocalypse Made Me Brave
ALL TIME FAV~~~
this is the only song i'm familiar with and i'm well familiar with it
dude this song is the best.
love the vocals/lyrics(not in an angsty atheist way or anything). love the pretty strings @ start, then more wonderfully pretty strings
and then as he sings /our sins are purged./ it quickly transitions into a nice heavier end with more great vocals.

Untitled #5
After listening to The Apocalypse Made Me Brave my standards rose by 5000 and this song isn't doing it for me. it's a good song but I think I remember why I never listened to hard to most of these songs. If I relisten to the earlier tracks will I feel the same way? I'll figure that out another day.

End
just a gentle instrumental to end the album in a wonderful way.

This is a short album, at 27 minutes. Short but great. Last.fm users call it math rock
So this album does a lot with loops. The loop will come out at the start of the song and continue to the end without any variation to it. Then more loops come. Longer loops that aren't played as long. Then vocals come & i just love the shouted vocals. the drums are pretty notable in some songs. Every song has something awesome that makes the repetition sound nice. On a more negative side a lot of the songs sound reallly similar at certain parts, but the unique songs really make up for them.

I really loved half the songs, other tracks were ok. there's no track I felt negatively to.
I'm gonna go with an 8/10, makes me feel guilty for only contributing a dollar to it. I'm a bit worried that this rating might drop after extended listening but 4 listens in its still very enjoyable.

(wow i feel like everything i say comes off as stupid i'm so bad at writing, also super inconsistent writing style sorry i write these up over a few hours and i tend to switch between not caring at all and wanting it to look a little nice.)

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 pm
 [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 41  Next