The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 pm

[ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
Meta Knight 

MGN Username: Mr Tunra_23
Currently Playing: SSB64, SSBM, SSBB, Project M, SSF2, MK9, Pokemon Showdown
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
I feel like MK needs ether a power buff, or needs to get his old dair back.

Donkey Kong practically owns MK onstage, alot. He outranges MK, outkills him, combo's the heck outta him, and pretty much gimps him as well (those meteor smashes tho). Since MK's KO options are very very slim, he can't do much with his attacks. Not to mention DK's uspecial shuts him down, which is basically like Ichigo's sideb but worse.

The only way to win this is not letting DK think or breathe, the WHOLE TIME. If he has a chance to charge up that Giant Punch, it's gonna be one heck of a matchup.

30/70, Donkey Kong's favor.

I couldn't agree more on the matchup. If Donkey kong touches metaknight once. He'll take a lot of damage and will already be at kill percentage. However Metaknight can stop DK's up b with his down air believe it or not. I still wish they make it like 0.9a though.

SSB64 Main:Image

SSBM Main:Image

SSBB Main:Image

Project M Main:Image

SSF2 Main: Image

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:12 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
MK v DK is in my opinion a win for MK (60-40). The minute DK is offstage, he loses a stock to dair, nair, or bair, all of which when spaced correctly beat DK's up-b. Just rinse and repeat those three moves and you win the stock. Additionally, MK can easily combo DK off the stage. The key is just to bait a move by DK, grab, nair offstage, and edgeguard.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:47 pm

MGN Username: sparty88
I need to see the hitbox of DK's up-b. And how long does the super armor last for?

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:03 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
MK v DK is in my opinion a win for MK (60-40). The minute DK is offstage, he loses a stock to dair, nair, or bair, all of which when spaced correctly beat DK's up-b. Just rinse and repeat those three moves and you win the stock. Additionally, MK can easily combo DK off the stage. The key is just to bait a move by DK, grab, nair offstage, and edgeguard.

I don't think so CodeSamurai... DK's recovery is so good he can just get back from the stage no matter how far he goes. Plus having metaknight comboing DK off stage is next to impossible when DK's hitboxes are so damn huge. I'm not saying it's not possible buts its just really hard to pull off. Now Metaknight can chain grab DK at low percentages or even start a tech chase later on but that's about all Metaknight can do for the most part compared to what DK can do him. This matchup is no doubt on DK's favor.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:08 pm
SSF2 Developer

I dunno about this being in DK's favor lol
MetaKnight can Combo DK -pretty- hard with that U-Air.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
I think its safe to say the matchup needs more looking into lol. I have a really hard time believing that DK counters MK.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 pm
BR Member

MK certainly has more than chaingrabs and tech chases on DK. Uair, as mentioned, combos into itself and nair. Nair combos into itself, fair, and dair. Fair combos into nair, fair, and dair as well. Once MK lands a grab or setup, he can easily take DK offstage. If MK can take DK's jump, which is not too hard, then you can just rinse and repeat bair until they're dead. It doesn't matter how far it travels: you can just keep doing it until they're dead. DK has range, but every move DK has (with very few exceptions) is punishable.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:42 am

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
Starkiller2 wrote:
I think its safe to say the matchup needs more looking into lol. I have a really hard time believing that DK counters MK.

Not really...

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
MK certainly has more than chaingrabs and tech chases on DK. Uair, as mentioned, combos into itself and nair. Nair combos into itself, fair, and dair. Fair combos into nair, fair, and dair as well. Once MK lands a grab or setup, he can easily take DK offstage. If MK can take DK's jump, which is not too hard, then you can just rinse and repeat bair until they're dead. It doesn't matter how far it travels: you can just keep doing it until they're dead. DK has range, but every move DK has (with very few exceptions) is punishable.

Good luck with punishing.... Just remember, all of MK's move are punishable also.

Think of it this way, if DK gets one well spaced combo starter on you, you be takin' lotsa damage. Heck I actually pulled a good 0-80% combo on this one MK, real person too.

Meta Knight can tech chase, chain grab, gimp, and combo Donkey Kong all he wants, but none of that matters if you can't get a kill in. Not to mention he can basically do all the above to you as well, and worse. You could be practically owning DK, but he could be in the lead a second latter due to a Giant Punch or fsmash. MK's KO options are slim and risky, one slip up could lead to death.

I'm also pretty positive that DK's uspecial actually outprioritizes MK, but that could be because most fail to actually space MK's move correctly.

I've tried the MU on both sides, and playing the characters to most of their potential(if not all). So I say with all my experience...

30/70, Donkey Kong's favor.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:26 am
BR Member

MK can outspace DK's upb with all of MK's aerials if done correctly, which I have tested many times. Bair or dair is most useful because of their semi-spike qualities, but if they recover high you can just nair them in helpless. Good luck gimping MK: he has one of, if not the, best recovery in the game. MK has fabulous KO options for a floaty lightweight: dsmash, nair, shuttle loop, dimensional cape (although that's pretty darn hard to actually land), and dair can all KO at reasonable (sub-150) percents. The actual percentages don't matter, however. If DK is forced to use his upB, a proper edgeguard from MK (which has a pretty low skill barrier) can effectively win the stock: even if it is death by a thousand bair stabs, MK has completely negligible risk in edgeguarding. On the other hand, getting gimp kills as DK requires enormous risk: missing a fair or dair offstage can be death for DK. DK doesn't really have any combo starters that are completely safe on whiff or sheild, even when perfectly spaced, so MK can always find a way to get in. DK does have in his favor that he kills really early with grab and that MK can't really go aggro because of DK's range, but MK's amazing offstage play, disjoint range as opposed to just range (which means a lot of MK's moves are safer than they might appear), and good air combos mean to me that the MU is 60-40 to 70-30 MK's favor.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:30 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
MK can outspace DK's upb with all of MK's aerials if done correctly, which I have tested many times. Bair or dair is most useful because of their semi-spike qualities, but if they recover high you can just nair them in helpless. Good luck gimping MK: he has one of, if not the, best recovery in the game. MK has fabulous KO options for a floaty lightweight: dsmash, nair, shuttle loop, dimensional cape (although that's pretty darn hard to actually land), and dair can all KO at reasonable (sub-150) percents. The actual percentages don't matter, however. If DK is forced to use his upB, a proper edgeguard from MK (which has a pretty low skill barrier) can effectively win the stock: even if it is death by a thousand bair stabs, MK has completely negligible risk in edgeguarding. On the other hand, getting gimp kills as DK requires enormous risk: missing a fair or dair offstage can be death for DK. DK doesn't really have any combo starters that are completely safe on whiff or shield, even when perfectly spaced, so MK can always find a way to get in. DK does have in his favor that he kills really early with grab and that MK can't really go aggro because of DK's range, but MK's amazing offstage play, disjoint range as opposed to just range (which means a lot of MK's moves are safer than they might appear), and good air combos mean to me that the MU is 60-40 to 70-30 MK's favor.

Taking out dk's up depends how spaced are you compared to him.

Yes... Meta knight does have the best recovery options in the game although shuffle loop could use an improvement either let metaknight glide up and down or drop the gliding thing altogether and make it like ssb4's.

No.... Meta Knight's KO options are decent at best since the only ones with great knockback are forward smash, Nair, and Dair. The rest can lead to some amazing combo's. A few example of character's with amazing KO options are DK( of course), Fox, Megaman, Zelda, Captain Falcon, Tails, and Ichigo since they can KO below 90%. It takes at least 120% to get KO'd by metaknight.

Now yes metaknight is amazing offstage heck he even has some of the best edgeguarding options against most characters(keep that in mind)... DK is not most character's is up b has been buffed to ridiculous heights. His up b can get back from anywhere horizontal wise.. And since metaknights nair is a semi spike it still ain't enough to take out DK, fairing won't even work since DK will sooner or later DI out of it, and Dair has a long startup and should only be used for tech chasing. While DK doesn't have any combo starters outside of grab. He can easily approach metaknight with nair and grab him when he gets the chance.

When Playing against DK you have to space DK like its no tomorrow. Being aggressive against DK and mindlessly nairing at him will immediately make you lose a stock trust me I learned that the hard way when I was facing a DK online for the first time. Your best tools to space DK with are forward tilt, Forward air, up air, and back air. DK clearly has a lot more tools to take out metaknight. Heck all he needs to do after He combo metaknight after forward throw is the hopefully grab metaknight again and back throw him. Metaknight will lose a stock instantly. Trust me on this one I've been playing as meta knight in ssf2 for sometime. I know every tool and mastered metaknight in every way possible barely making a mistake. I faced a lot of skilled DK players some of which I've won and some of which I've lost horribly. So if you ask me the matchup for Meta knight v DK is Not 70-30 in Meta Knight's favor. It's either the complete opposite 30-70 DK's favor at worst or 45-55 DK's favor at best either way this matchup is clearly not in meta knight's favor.

Edit: Meta Knight's down tilt is also good for spacing DK as well

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:45 am

MGN Username: sparty88
I would only use those tilts following up on a running nair, and still feel scared using them because DK can grab at any time at that range. I think a good KO move for MK against DK is his uspec. You're not going to find an easier target for that one.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 am

Let's not forget it's basically impossible to space any of Meta's moves unless DK's being stuipid. DK outranges MK in every way.

And yes, it is possible to gimp an MK. Also, if you happen to screw up once trying to gimp.... Spinning Kong will launch you, far far away.

I wouldn't say he has the best recovery in the game ether, he just happens to have alot of options. Still better than most of the cast, though not as many options as before.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:53 am
BR Member

SirTundra_23 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
MK can outspace DK's upb with all of MK's aerials if done correctly, which I have tested many times. Bair or dair is most useful because of their semi-spike qualities, but if they recover high you can just nair them in helpless. Good luck gimping MK: he has one of, if not the, best recovery in the game. MK has fabulous KO options for a floaty lightweight: dsmash, nair, shuttle loop, dimensional cape (although that's pretty darn hard to actually land), and dair can all KO at reasonable (sub-150) percents. The actual percentages don't matter, however. If DK is forced to use his upB, a proper edgeguard from MK (which has a pretty low skill barrier) can effectively win the stock: even if it is death by a thousand bair stabs, MK has completely negligible risk in edgeguarding. On the other hand, getting gimp kills as DK requires enormous risk: missing a fair or dair offstage can be death for DK. DK doesn't really have any combo starters that are completely safe on whiff or shield, even when perfectly spaced, so MK can always find a way to get in. DK does have in his favor that he kills really early with grab and that MK can't really go aggro because of DK's range, but MK's amazing offstage play, disjoint range as opposed to just range (which means a lot of MK's moves are safer than they might appear), and good air combos mean to me that the MU is 60-40 to 70-30 MK's favor.

Taking out dk's up depends how spaced are you compared to him.

Yes... Meta knight does have the best recovery options in the game although shuffle loop could use an improvement either let metaknight glide up and down or drop the gliding thing altogether and make it like ssb4's.

No.... Meta Knight's KO options are decent at best since the only ones with great knockback are forward smash, Nair, and Dair. The rest can lead to some amazing combo's. A few example of character's with amazing KO options are DK( of course), Fox, Megaman, Zelda, Captain Falcon, Tails, and Ichigo since they can KO below 90%. It takes at least 120% to get KO'd by metaknight.

Now yes metaknight is amazing offstage heck he even has some of the best edgeguarding options against most characters(keep that in mind)... DK is not most character's is up b has been buffed to ridiculous heights. His up b can get back from anywhere horizontal wise.. And since metaknights nair is a semi spike it still ain't enough to take out DK, fairing won't even work since DK will sooner or later DI out of it, and Dair has a long startup and should only be used for tech chasing. While DK doesn't have any combo starters outside of grab. He can easily approach metaknight with nair and grab him when he gets the chance.

When Playing against DK you have to space DK like its no tomorrow. Being aggressive against DK and mindlessly nairing at him will immediately make you lose a stock trust me I learned that the hard way when I was facing a DK online for the first time. Your best tools to space DK with are forward tilt, Forward air, up air, and back air. DK clearly has a lot more tools to take out metaknight. Heck all he needs to do after He combo metaknight after forward throw is the hopefully grab metaknight again and back throw him. Metaknight will lose a stock instantly. Trust me on this one I've been playing as meta knight in ssf2 for sometime. I know every tool and mastered metaknight in every way possible barely making a mistake. I faced a lot of skilled DK players some of which I've won and some of which I've lost horribly. So if you ask me the matchup for Meta knight v DK is Not 70-30 in Meta Knight's favor. It's either the complete opposite 30-70 DK's favor at worst or 45-55 DK's favor at best either way this matchup is clearly not in meta knight's favor.

Edit: Meta Knight's down tilt is also good for spacing DK as well

I would not want to randomly charge at DK, because he does outspace most moves. You have to play the bait and punish game hard, because DK does have laggy moves and because they aren't disjoint, a lot of moves like back air aren't actually that safe. The thing is that once you get in, you combo hard. Just one grab and DK eats 50%+ or the stock. DK doesn't actually have very much off of throws on someone as floaty and small as MK, and because of MK's airspeed and dair he has trouble juggling MK. The equalizer, if you will, in this matchup is that when DK gets a good punish, he can take stocks early. But MK has just as hard of a punish game, and in many ways a better punish and combo game. Dash JC grab can punish a lot of DK's options, and after the grab MK can combo DK to death a good percentage of the time. I'm not sure anyone can claim to have mastered Meta Knight or Donkey Kong: the game is new, and both of the characters have changed a lot from v0.9a.

As MK, I like to stay in the air and bait moves from DK. Then, you try to punish with grab, nair, or some other combo starter, with the main goal to get DK offstage far enough to force upB. Then, you can gimp that and win the stock. Just coming up and using tilts would get me grabbed, so I'd want to abuse his jumps and try to stay just outside of DK's range. DK has very few moves that are safe on whiff, so eventually I'd get a punish. Playing aggro MK would get you killed, and if you play that way then the MU would be at least 60-40 DK. However, if you play the bait and punish game, I'd say it's the reverse.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:07 pm

MGN Username: DJSKRELP
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
MK is B tier in my opinion.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:05 pm

TJM# wrote:
MK is B tier in my opinion.

This.

I consider him low-high depending on how people view his viability.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:08 pm
 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next