The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 pm

[ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Meta Knight 
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
For a Fence of Pain against characters with startup on their recoveries, just do weak nair -> strong nair -> weak nair -> strong nair -> eventual KO. Because it eats through everything much like his other aerials, there's no need to be frame-perfect or have a true combo: most characters can't do anything even if they have frames in which to do them in. This is scary just because a strong nair does 20% and at mid percents sets up for this quickly, as well as nair basically being the scariest move in the game.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:25 pm

MGN Username: Jon
Currently Playing: peach, ichigo, marth
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
MK is really good, and I think he's the best character in the game. But he is certainly not overpowered. The tiers in this game are so close (I would say that this entire game's tier list is between Fox and Captain Falcon in Melee) that I really don't see any character being OP. MK certainly has few weaknesses, but he has some: no projectile or reflector, trouble killing onstage, trouble gaining height quickly which impedes his movement around platforms, a lot of moves that can be SDI'd, dies fairly early, and doesn't have great landing options. He does have great priority, fast moves, good combos, the best recovery in the game, great edgeguarding, good kill moves offstage and meh kill moves onstage (but still pretty good for his weight), disjoints that can wall out some characters fairly effectively, the air mobility and approaches to deal with characters that can abuse projectiles, and the speed to approach characters with more range than he has.

BTW, does anyone know of any use for Mach Tornado? It seems to me to be laughably underpowered.

It can be used as a kill move at the end of uair strings or a damage racker at the end of uair strings. Remember to mash special to get all the hits.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:39 am
BR Member

Isn't Shuttle Loop or Dimensional Cape better for that?

Dimensional Cape is a great kill move at around 100%. So many mindgames.

My favorite one is when if the opponent is just outside the Dimensional Cape range, you Dimensional Cape in place and then bait a run in and then you Dimensional Cape them. Also, you can bait a shield, don't use the attack option, and then grab or nair.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:36 am
SSF2 Developer

One interesting property of Neutral-B is its high Priority. In general, his moves have rather low Priority (surprisingly). They are fast and have great range though, which could give the illusion of Priority.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:12 pm

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
You can use Mach Tornado as an OoS option too or to recover differently.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 am
BR Member

Don't most of MK's moves just have transcendent priority instead of low or high priority?

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Not In This Game

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:20 am

For some reason, I feel weird trying to play MK. I guess I just don't get how to move with him? I assumed he was on the easier side. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Do any of MK's moves have transcendent priority?

Edit:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Your first instinct is probably to play Meta Knight like Jigglypuff with a sword.

That's probably part of why I failed when I tried him. :wee:

Last edited by pizzapress on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:54 pm
BR Member

The wiki says that MK has transcendent priority on up and down specials and throws and all of his normals.

MK is a weird character, and not super easy to play. He is slow in the air and, while he does have safe pressure with his long disjointed aerials and normals, he has trouble approaching against projectiles (except turnips) and he has trouble getting in against characters that outrange him as well.

In the neutral game, you have a monster initial dash. You can dash-dance (run back and forth without going into that running animation when MK floats) and bait opponent's moves and strike without warning. Your best approaches are short-hop fair, short-hop nair, and short-hop bair (out of a Reverse Aerial Rush). You have pretty good punishes: fair, bair, dair, and nair can all send the opponent to the floor, and MK has excellent tech-chases. With enough aerial momentum (out of an initial dash or run), you can chain his aerials and take opponents off the stage. You have excellent kill moves: the first few frames of nair, bair, dair, Shuttle Loop, fsmash, dsmash, and Dimensional Cape, which usually requires a read but is very powerful and flashy.

Your first instinct is probably to play Meta Knight like Jigglypuff with a sword. But that couldn't be further from the truth, because MK has terrible airspeed compared to Puff. Stay near the ground unless you're edgeguarding or in a combo, so that you can use your initial dash and get the air momentum you need to combo and kill.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
The wiki says that MK has transcendent priority on up and down specials and throws and all of his normals.

MK is a weird character, and not super easy to play. He is slow in the air and, while he does have safe pressure with his long disjointed aerials and normals, he has trouble approaching against projectiles (except turnips) and he has trouble getting in against characters that outrange him as well.

In the neutral game, you have a monster initial dash. You can dash-dance (run back and forth without going into that running animation when MK floats) and bait opponent's moves and strike without warning. Your best approaches are short-hop fair, short-hop nair, and short-hop bair (out of a Reverse Aerial Rush). You have pretty good punishes: fair, bair, dair, and nair can all send the opponent to the floor, and MK has excellent tech-chases. With enough aerial momentum (out of an initial dash or run), you can chain his aerials and take opponents off the stage. You have excellent kill moves: the first few frames of nair, bair, dair, Shuttle Loop, fsmash, dsmash, and Dimensional Cape, which usually requires a read but is very powerful and flashy.

Your first instinct is probably to play Meta Knight like Jigglypuff with a sword. But that couldn't be further from the truth, because MK has terrible airspeed compared to Puff. Stay near the ground unless you're edgeguarding or in a combo, so that you can use your initial dash and get the air momentum you need to combo and kill.

I will change that, I tried to get as much information about his transcendent priority from last demo. If a dev can kindly tell me which of his attacks have transcendent priority in them and I will update the page.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:00 pm

I'm really loving MK right now. Using that crazy dash to dash dance then run in and shorthop an aerial (nair or fair) is so rewarding, and you can do some awesome hit and run style stuff. I'm using him as my "personal" counter for when my friends play Fox or Lloyd, as I'm able to out space them really well. Still struggling vs Marth on FD w/ him, though I have beaten Marth on stages with more platforms like battlefield. Tips for any of those matchups I named are appreciated.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:14 am
BR Member

Marth is tricky for MK. Try and steal Marth's double jump, because then you can get early gimps. Besides that, just use dash-dancing to bait laggy stuff from Marth and then run in with SH aerial, grab, or usmash.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:02 pm

MGN Username: SickHakma
Currently Playing: Game
How I use this guy 'gainst that spammy a** link

Amazarashi
YouTube Video:

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:28 pm

MGN Username: Shine!