The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

[ 12 posts ] 
Jammy's Application 
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Name (aka Handle):

Jammy

How old are you?:

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):

I main Captain Falcon and play Marth as a secondary. I am also currently learning Fox for projectile heavy matchups, such as Samus.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):

I have played some casual Brawl and Smash4, but SSF2 was my first competitive smash game. Recently I have also picked up Project M, which I main Captain Falcon and secondary Marth in, two characters I picked up from SSF2.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?

I haven't attended any IRL tournaments, but I have attended the online SSF2 tournament Smash Island a few times. I haven't placed well in the past, but I feel that I have been rapidly improving, with my most recent tournament (SI7) having me place 7th. My highest placing in a tournament was the SSF2 Seizure Cup, in which I placed 2nd.

When did you start playing SSF2?

I started playing in version 0.9.1.1748, about 2 or 3 months ago.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.

My favourite stage is Tower of Salvation. Personally, I think it is a very neutral stage that many characters have good options on. The large flat area in the center of the stage allows for a lot of movement, and since there are no platforms in the center the stage isn't amazing for projectile camping, as approaches from above are unhindered. However, there are two platforms at the edges of the stage, which allows extension of combos, often into KO moves since they are so close to the edge of the stage, which I think is a unique and interesting factor of the stage. If walljumping is ever added, I think that this will further add to the depth of the stage due to the flat edges of the stage, much like Yoshi's.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?

I believe that currently, Naruto is top of the tier list. Firstly, he has an incredible neutral game. His Up-B allows Naruto to control space on the stage effectively, and pressures the opponent to approach differently or attempt to 'diffuse' the clone mine, allowing him to take advantage of this and land an attack or grab more easily. Combined with his Side-B, Naruto effectively never has to approach against a character without a longer ranged projectile, as he can stand behind the clone mine and pile on the pressure safely from afar, waiting for the opponent to approach and punishing appropriately.

Naruto not only has a great neutral game, but his close-up combo game is also extremely good. Utilt combos into itself at lower percents, which in turn leads into Uair, and Bair, allowing Naruto to rack up plenty of damage very easily. He also has a very safe approach in the form of nair, and dash attack combos into several of his other moves.

He also has several potent kill moves, including Fsmash which can KO at relatively low percents, Dtilt which comes out extremely quickly and has little endlag, Bair which can be used as a combo finisher and also comes out very quickly, and at higher percents Uair kills fairly reliably. Fair also has a fairly large hitbox which can quickly end an opponent's stock if they don't meteor cancel, or have a poor vertical recovery.

Not only does Naruto control space and combo effectively, he also has a ridiculous charge move in the form of Neutral-B. It can be fully charged inbetween stocks, and kills fairly reliably at 60%. The fact that Naruto can combo into this move and rack up percent easily adds to the potency of this move.

All in all, Naruto has extremely good control of many aspects of the game, and has even or favourable matchups against the entire cast.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?

I believe that Bomberman should be places last.

He has a very poor ability to approach due to his very short range and low movement speed. His main 'feature', being his bombs, are rather weak. Opponents can easily avoid them, and if Bomberman is playing against a faster opponent, he often has very few opportunities to set them up, barring between stocks. They also have fairly limited KO power, as even a fully charged bomb cannot KO heavier characters as high as 115% with good DI.

Bomberman's combo game without several bombs set up is also pretty linear and inconsistent, consisting mainly of Uair juggles and other 2-4 hit combos. His smash attacks all have fairly high startup and endlag, and despite Dsmash having decent range to both sides, none of them are too reliable.

His recovery is very pretty poor, as being sent too far offstage, even with a jump, makes it very difficult for Bomberman to make it back due to the short horizontal range.

All in all Bomberman has far too many weaknesses and far too few strengths to balance them out. I can see there being potential in his gameplay with smart use of bombs to extend combos, but it is high effort/medium-low reward as he currently stands in my opinion.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?

Adding walljumping. It is honestly one of my few complaints with the game, as it would add to many character's recoveries, and especially add some extra flair to my main, Captain Falcon (even if it is unneccessary).

What is your view on items in competitive play?

I believe that items do not have a place in competitive play. The random chance of a hugely advantageous item spawning, such as a hammer or bob-omb could stop the more skilful player winning the match, something that doesn't belong in smash and never should. Certain items however, such as Mr. Saturn and the Beam Sword could perhaps be allowed with a low spawn rate, as they could add strength to characters in very niche situations, while not giving them a huge advantage in general.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.

I have Skype :]

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.

I am extremely interested in gaining an insight into what goes on 'behind the scenes' and taking part in discussion about the game. I also want to learn as much as I can about SSF2 to further myself as a player, and I believe that communicating with other skilful players would be extremely useful in that endeavour. I would contribute my enthusiam to help further the community, as is shown by my hosting of my weekly tournaments and the creation of the IRC chatroom (with a lot of help from my boy doqk!), and would love to expand on these with the help of the backroom members.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)

Here's the most recent video of me playing seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpXwtttU944
Probably the best I've played to date. I don't feel like I was playing exceptionally well though, just improved a lot since the last tourney.

EDIT: oh and I found this weird 'tech' too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RKoAQg ... QyLLP4kW1g

Cheers for reading through this wall of text!

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:57 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
Use this list to answer the following questions.
Stage List: show
Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS (both stages can be stricken at once)
Stadium III
WarioWare
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:

Dreamland
Smashville
Jungle Hijinx
Mirror Chamber
Tower of Salvation
Castle Siege
Dracula's Castle
Sky Sanctuary Zone

1. From the Stage List provided, which stage is the most polarizing and which stage is the most balanced.

2. From the Stage List provided, which is Captain Falcon's best stage and his worst stage.

Be detailed in your responses.

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:53 am
BR Member

1. From the Stage List provided, which stage is the most polarizing and which stage is the most balanced.

I believe that the most polarizing stage is Sky Sanctuary Zone. This stage promotes campy gameplay, as the huge platforms covering most of the stage hinders approaches from above, giving projectile users such as Link and Samus an easy time avoided close-ranged approaches. The stage is also fairly large, giving players plenty of room to maneuver away from approaches and camp. The platforms cover a huge area, and as such platforms techs are very common, and can easily stop a character's integral combos such as Stomp > Knee, which again is a hindrance to combo heavy characters and allows campy players to live longer. The small areas jutting out at the edge of the stages can also mess up a combo or steal a double jump without the player's intention, making it harder for combo-heavy characters. Running off of these areas also gives a small amount of landing lag, which is EXTREMELY annoying during combos or techchasing. All in all, I believe that this stage overly favours projectile heavy characters and is too large of a detriment to close ranged characters.

The most balanced stage is Battlefield in my opinion. It has a nice platform layout that doesn't favour or hinder any characters too much, and allows for some nice platform tech chases and edge cancels, benefiting, again, many characters. The stage is moderately sized, allowing movement options while keeping the players interacting with each other directly. The blastzones are moderately sized, allowing many characters to utilise their full recoveries, whilst not allowing them to live forever or die too quickly. Overall, I believe that this stage is the most balanced as is allows any character to perform to their best ability if played correctly, while not overly benefitting any characters either.

2. From the Stage List provided, which is Captain Falcon's best stage and his worst stage.

I believe that CF's best stage is Tower of Salvation. The stage is fairly large, allowing CF to dashdance around and bait out approaches using his superior speed. There are no central platforms to stop CF's great aerial combos, and especially Stomp > Knee, with platform techs. The stage is sized so that CF's shorthop nair covers about half of it, allowing him to easily approach characters on the ground. The side platforms allow him to extend his combos with a platform techchase, or if an opponent misses a tech, continue the combo. Knee from the platforms can easily KO many characters as low as 50%, giving CF great kill power. There are no platforms on the main stage to block aerial approaches either, giving Falcon a much needed diversity in approaches against certain characters, such as ZSS. The blastzones are relatively small, allowing knee to KO fairly consistently at around 80%, and due to Falcon's weight he can often live for a while if knocked off the side by using his decent horizontal recovery. All in all, this stage benefits Falcon and plays to his strengths such as his speed and great combo and KO power, while hindering styles of gameplay that can counter him, such as projectile camping.

I believe that CF's worst stage is Sky Sanctuary Zone. Most of reasons I will give are detailed above, but I'll re-iterate in case I come up with something else as I type. The large platforms covering most of the stage stop Falcon's aerial approaches, such as baiting an attack with an empty jump and punishing with a double jump -> stomp. The small areas jutting out at the edge of the stage make it more difficult to combo and maneuver around the stage, hindering one of CF's greatest assets: his speed. The platforms also give opponenets ample opportunity to tech CF's aerial combos, although they do allow him to easily platform techchase. The stage being relatively small is both a help and a hindrance: it allows knee to kill earlier, but opponents also KO CF earlier. The stage benefits projectile based characters for the reasons I stated above, and since CF already struggles with these characters, it only further adds to the difficulties that a Falcon player must overcome on the stage. Overall, the stage gives Falcon no benefits over other stages, and the sort of decent bits (small blastzones, platform techchases) are heavily outweighed by the hindrance that it poses to Falcon.

Youtube         Twitch

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:18 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
1) Please discuss the Falcon-ZSS matchup on Yoshi's Story. Be sure to consider all of each character's options, and to cover the several facets of gameplay (like edgeguarding). Please be detailed in your response.

2) Analyse how Bomberman's neutral game changes when bombs are on the field. You may refer to the stage list if you want to give examples, and may also give examples from certain matchups for particular interactions.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:13 pm
BR Member

Phoenix Wright wrote:
1) Please discuss the Falcon-ZSS matchup on Yoshi's Story. Be sure to consider all of each character's options, and to cover the several facets of gameplay (like edgeguarding). Please be detailed in your response.

2) Analyse how Bomberman's neutral game changes when bombs are on the field. You may refer to the stage list if you want to give examples, and may also give examples from certain matchups for particular interactions.

didn't answer these at first because they required too much thought and I'm not about writing essays but I'll prolly answer them some time soon, just a heads up.

EDIT: aight nvm waiting for the next patch cause my previous answers are stupid lol

Youtube         Twitch

Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:23 pm
BR Member

STUPID 2014 JAMMY LOL

Youtube         Twitch

Sat May 09, 2015 5:47 pm

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
Jammy wrote:
I believe that currently, Naruto is top of the tier list.

Wed May 13, 2015 10:22 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
If you are not a backroom member please refrain from posting in other peoples' applications. Thanks.

Wed May 13, 2015 10:46 am
YIM WWW
BR Member

f*** the po-lice
8^)

Youtube         Twitch

Wed May 13, 2015 12:12 pm

MGN Username: Game-spidr
Currently Playing: Russian Roulette
Waifu: Spiders
Police comin straight from the underground people like got it hard cuz im brown
#RacistpostwhenJammyisBrownhesclearlygreen+5stylepointsforpostingwhendoqksaidnottoo
#havefunreadingthat

Ichigo combo video
YouTube Video:

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:41 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
Doqtor Kirby wrote:
If you are not a backroom member please refrain from posting in other peoples' applications. Thanks.

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:15 pm

MGN Username: ShadowAssasin2600
Lunary wrote:
Jammy wrote:
I believe that currently, Naruto is top of the tier list.

LOOOL ok I'm sorry I didn't read all the comments

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:12 pm
 [ 12 posts ]