The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 2:42 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
Does training with better players really help? 

I hear "train with better players" as a strategy to good at this game but the only thing that hpn from doing this is me learning nothing while the "better player" just learning to combo and punish much better and I get worse because all I do is get wrecked. I've been playing ryu and my brother uses waluigi and rayman and I get absolutely wrecked, my brother is now better than me and I have learned very little to maybe nothing but getting wrecked by faster moves, in conclusion i can say playing better players does not improve anything but making u a better combo fodder.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:04 pm

MGN Username: VanillaKunikida
Currently Playing: SSBU, SSF2, SIFAS
Waifu: Hanamaru Kunikida
it does.
its actually way better than training with lvl 9 cpus. (something psychossf2 will never understand)

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:48 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: CraftGMC
Waifu: Random No. Generator
While training with better players certainly does help (and much more than with a Lv. 9 CPU unless you're actually more of a beginner i suppose), i don't recommend playing against people who are WAY better than you, unless the pro player isn't some "NO MERCY" tryhard that quits the match after realizing you're at a much lower level and instead actually for once goes on with the match while going easy on you.
Plus, if they played a character you often play as, you may want to save a replay of the match and watch it to learn about their strategies (that and, you can also see what you've been doing wrong)

Well, old friends, this is the day where everything will be archived for all to see and reminisce about.
This isn't a farewell, but rather a "See you later", as we move on to the next world

who'd've guessed my secondaries bit would have a new purpose!

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 am

Well I'm new to ryu tbh. Thanks for the advice tho, they sound legit.

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:58 pm

MGN Username: bagrielmarmanjo
Currently Playing: SSF2, M.U.G.E.N (rarely), GBA Kirby Games, SSBC, Deltarune
Waifu: i like bepis
Vanilla wrote:
it does.
its actually way better than training with lvl 9 cpus. (something psychossf2 will never understand)

About that, does he even know if the new update came out?

out of ideas here '-'

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:46 am

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
All CPUs are garbage really. The only way to get better is to race a deformed clone version of yourself play with others. Don't be afraid of being bodied. Even taking a single stock or landing a single hit on a good player is enough to help you get better since it teaches you how to get past their guard and improves your adaptiveness to other playstyles.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am

MGN Username: NASAPeepo
Currently Playing: It's my personal life.
CraftGMC wrote:
While training with better players certainly does help (and much more than with a Lv. 9 CPU unless you're actually more of a beginner i suppose), i don't recommend playing against people who are WAY better than you, unless the pro player isn't some "NO MERCY" tryhard that quits the match after realizing you're at a much lower level and instead actually for once goes on with the match while going easy on you.
Plus, if they played a character you often play as, you may want to save a replay of the match and watch it to learn about their strategies (that and, you can also see what you've been doing wrong)

The thing is, you can't really determine skill based off of one match. There is another factor; lag. I am one of those "NO MERCY" people but I never quit. Better to punish people (they may learn something) than to pity them. I usually hold back at first then slowly start to use techs and combos out of my arsenal.
Going all out is fun if you are kinda pissed. Peoplee like Killatores quit if I don't land first 3 hits even where there is no lag.

That said, it's a much more convenient way to get better. Analysing replays for mistakes helps, too.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:35 am

MGN Username: ButterMosaic
Vanilla wrote:
it does.

What do you expect from some kid who does nothing but make jojo memes in imgflip.
this is the type of trash he finds intriguing now:

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:49 pm
 [ 8 posts ]