The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 am

[ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
Zelda 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Discuss Zelda specific gameplay here.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 am

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2, TF2, DotA2, etc.
My waifu is amazing, she hits hard and hits a lot. unfortunately her fireball control suffered a nerf but she's still amazing, IMO.

EDIT: After playing around a bit, she's not able to control them as well as she used to, but it's still a lot of control.

Also I forgot to mention that godlike recovery.

Mains: Zelda, Chibi Robo, Mario

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:21 pm

MGN Username: Rossuizan
Happy that they improved fair/bair/dair for Zelda. Landing the sweetspot is much easier than before. Her new Din's Fire seems to either blow them towards Zelda or away from Zelda. If it hits towards Zelda it sets up for an utilt into uair kill.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:24 pm

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
I never play Zelda, but landing those tips is incredibly satisfying and is fairly easy as Ross has said. I haven't tried her much against people but it seems like she could very well be a hidden titan.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:14 am

MGN Username: meda9871
Currently Playing: Tales of Xillia, SSF2
I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how Zelda can approach shields because in most circumstances, the opponent always has a better option to attack. Grabs seemed obvious but nearly every character has a longer and quicker grab than her. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Forget this comment, I just keep forgetting you can be grabbed in the air if close enough

Last edited by meda9871 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 am

MGN Username: Quote
Wow, I'm honestly super surprised that more people aren't discussing Zelda. The devs were hyping her up early on, and for good reason. Her combo game is so smooth and she outputs a lot of damage really quickly. She's not really fast, but she doesn't have to be. Her moveset is designed to force approaches and then punish the opponent for doing so because of her great defensive options.

meda9871 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how Zelda can approach shields because in most circumstances, the opponent always has a better option to attack. Grabs seemed obvious but nearly every character has a longer and quicker grab than her. Any suggestions?

Start pressuring with Din's Fire. That's #1. If you want to do it offensively, you can. Just move a bit forward each time (zoning, baby).

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 pm

MGN Username: Nstinct
Currently Playing: Smash Bros. 4 3DS, Super Smash Flash 2
These forums do appear to show who are the popular characters. Zelda has the least post which shows that few people liked her in the previous version and even less people bothered to try her now. She'll be recognized as soon as Shiek players accidently press B while holding down.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:14 pm

and great contributions like that certainly help

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Agreed that Zelda has a lot of potential, guess I'll try to liven up the discussion a bit.

I like the changes to the knockback trajectories of F-tilt and Side-B. Because they knock opponents towards Zelda, you can easily chain a b-air or f-air sweetspot into them. The knockback of u-air was reduced but it was honestly a needed change, it was too strong before.

Zelda's game is pretty solid. She forces players to approach her with sideB where she can tend just space f-airs or b-airs to the face, especially since these moves have such a low ending lag. Her jab and her n-air make her pretty effective at close quarters as well. It seems like her smashes were buffed because they're faster now, before it was super easy to SDI out of them because they took so long, making them ineffective kill moves because you could dodge the final hit.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:03 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
meda9871 wrote:
Grabs seemed obvious but nearly every character has a longer and quicker grab than her. Any suggestions?

woooooah now

i'd test that theory

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
[TSON] wrote:
meda9871 wrote:
Grabs seemed obvious but nearly every character has a longer and quicker grab than her. Any suggestions?

woooooah now

i'd test that theory

Yeah, please do. It just looks obvious/slow because of the unique hand motions she makes for her grab.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 pm

MGN Username: Shine!
Currently Playing: Minecraft Bedrock & Roblox
Waifu: All guys from Free!
Hi! I know I just joined the forums but I've been maining Zelda since september 2013 xD me and my friends played SSF2 competitively together in class and Zelda always brought me wins no matter how hard my friends tried. So since I downloaded 0.9b I wanted to share my thoughts on her changes.

•Buffs
-I've never had trouble hitting sweetspots on fair/bair/dair but they're just so much easier to land now! I actually had trouble trying not to hit sweetspots when testing the sour spots! Loved it!(and the epic freeze frames!)
-Fair in particular recieved additional buffing as it now deals horizontal knockback as opposed to it's vertical/diagnol knockback in the previous demo allowing it to properly KO at the same percents as Bair.(70%-80%+)
-Nayru's Love now deals 11-17% when all the hits land as opposed to 9% and it's hitboxes last over most of Zelda's ending lag making it alittle more safer than from last demo. Also it's reflector is fixed!
-Fsmash ends earlier with the mini hits not pushing the oppenent away from the last hit. Fsmash and Usmash have better KO power.
-Dins Fire comes out and travels faster and it now has knockback that could either aid in edgeguard situations or set up for a follow up. It also properly charges the farther you send it out. The explosion lasts a while like it did in the last demo.
-Faore's Wind's teleport hitbox(the yellow ribbon) has more priority and range and the move is faster overall. Also all of it's advance techniques are still there.(Shortports and Ledgeports)
-Zelda is all around faster with more combo potential.

•Nerfs
-Dins Fire iss not flexible like it was and has to travel a set distance before you can release it. It's explosion is awkward and hard to hit with unless you're good at predicting your opponents movements. Also it auto explodes when it hits a wall or side of a platform.
-Faore's Wind's reappear hitbox(cloud of smoke) damage was reduced from 19% to 10-11% and can't KO at early percents anymore.
-Down tilt now pushes the opponent away from you no longer locking them in place for a swift dsmash, but that makes this move deadly when your opponent is at the ledge as it's still a powerful meteor smash.
-Dash atk and Utilt have lower knockback and can't KO like they used to but they can now combo into each other and lead to better follow ups.

•Neutral
-Zelda has new particles on alot of her moves and particles added to Nair and Faore's Wind.

Summary:
I got to play Zelda again today and she plays so well!! Omg I noticed dash attack and utilt have been reduced in knockback and I love it! Zelda can pull off a dash atk > utilt > utilt > uair combo. I don't mind losing Utilt and Dash atk as kill moves because of the lightning kick buffs. I was also playing with dins fire and it felt pretty good tbh, like I was able to play volleyball with megaman by using dins fire. Overall Zelda was mainly buffed and given subtle changes of knockback to her moves, all her main kill moves are improved and all the extra moves she had that had too much knockback are now great for leading into her kill moves. Definitely high tier.

Last edited by Shine-chan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:14 am
YIM

MGN Username: Yellowkirbyguy
Currently Playing: Super Smash bros 3ds.
You know, i was skeptical about the Lightning Kick buff Zelda received because i felt that the lightning kicks are meant to be the reward for sweet spotting it (Like Falcon's Knee") Then i realised, she wouldn't be as balanced as she is now.

So i'm guessing the general idea for Zelda is to be a defensive character? Camp with Din's Fire then as they get close you unload a variety of attacks?

Shine! wrote:
•Nerfs
-Dins Fire feels so weird to use now...It's not flexible like it was and has to travel a set distance before you can release it. It's explosion is awkward and hard to hit with unless you're good at predicting your opponents movements. Also it auto explodes when it hits a wall or side of a platform.

The controls for Din's fire has been restricted a bit but from what i've noticed is that if you dash jump and perform the move you'll detonate the attack right on yourself if you only tap the special key and not hold it down.
It is a fast moving controllable projectile so having a large hitbox would become somewhat overpowered.(Edit~ I know it has that charge but i'm talking about all the time not just charging it up.)
As for how it hits the opponent(this is asumming you're facing right) if the right side of the fireball hits, it'll send the opponent away from you, if you hit with the left side of the fireball it'll hit the opponent toward you.

Chopper wrote:
And then there was Trainer James. Little Jim was the only one in the bike gang...who had to use training wheels.

School's getting a bit more important, so i'll be on less frequently due to this.

3ds Friend code~ 4210-4750-3059
Pm me if you've added me so i can add ya back please

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:18 am

Yellokirbyguy wrote:
You know, i was skeptical about the Lightning Kick buff Zelda received because i felt that the lightning kicks are meant to be the reward for sweet spotting it (Like Falcon's Knee") Then i realised, she wouldn't be as balanced as she is now.

So i'm guessing the general idea for Zelda is to be a defensive character? Camp with Din's Fire then as they get close you unload a variety of attacks?

The controls for Din's fire has been restricted a bit but from what i've noticed is that if you dash jump and perform the move you'll detonate the attack right on yourself if you only tap the special key and not hold it down.
It is a fast moving controllable projectile so having a large hitbox would become somewhat overpowered.(Edit~ I know it has that charge but i'm talking about all the time not just charging it up.)
As for how it hits the opponent(this is asumming you're facing right) if the right side of the fireball hits, it'll send the opponent away from you, if you hit with the left side of the fireball it'll hit the opponent toward you.

Ya the Lightning Kick buff was much needed for Zelda to be balanced. They're alot like their melee incarnation. Even with it's restrictions I'm glad Dins is still a reliable projectile. I know about the dash jump explosion which I guess could be a good way to approach if you want. Zelda is a defensive character with amazing punish and edgeguard game made better by amazing recovery, but I noticed in SSF2 she has a few ways to approach like short hop fair/bair, Shortport Faore's Wind, and even just dash attack(decent range, amazing speed, and godly priority).

Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 pm
YIM

Where da Zelda mains at? :cry:

Last edited by Shine-chan on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:07 pm
YIM
 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next