The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:23 pm

[ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
Meta Knight 

MGN Username: FluffyRuff
Mostly things I've said before, but in 1 post (I may find more good things out in the future but won't add them to this post).

In case some might not know what these mean.

Bair = Back air

Fair = Forward air

F smash = Forward smash

D smash = Down smash

Nair = Neutral air

Up b = Up special

Dair = Down air

Good things I've been seeing with :metaknight: when I use him is:

His down throw at the ledge, while someone is trying to recover or you catch them at ledge with a grab, down throw acts as a spike and gives characters like :donkeykong: no good chance of recovering, I think it's still like that if you do it on someone at 0% (possibly).

So I guess you can say that :metaknight: has a 0 to death grab, but have to be really lucky to get it, and hope the character you use it on, doesn't have a really good recovery like chibi robo or maybe :blackmage: (though you can hit :blackmage: with a dair while he's trying to set up his teleport back on stage).

He can grab after the 2nd hit of his bair (if you don't hit the 3rd hit and it's on the same plat form as you) or forward tilt (the 3 hit).

I'm still labbing to see what else I can do after the 2nd hit of his bair, it's a really good combo move imo that you should really learn to use/take advantage of (since the 3rd hit doesn't always go I think).

Edge guarding is insanely good, and is a must to learn as a :metaknight: player.

Bair (when you get the 3rd hit) can be spammed till they reach blast zone.

His nair is extremely good too, and it messes with :falco: and :fox: s illusion recovery, tho the problem is, the nair if timed wrong or bad positioning, will send them back on stage instead of back off.

Forward air can actually combo them off stage into the blast zone (I think it can be spammed too).

Also Dimension cape (aka down special) can be used to take your opponent off guard (maybe), for example against :isaac: , if you think the :isaac: player has enough time to up b back on to a stage platform (lets dreamland for this), you can space your self (so you don't get hit by his up b) and down special to K.O or get him back off stage and do good damage.

This is why I think down special needs to be practiced with A LOT, get the timing right.

I think his up tilt and down tilt combos work REALLY well against :fox: and :falco: .

Though :bandanadee: can't be comboed easily, I think it still takes 2 up air hits to up b (aka shuttle loop) to K.O him (I'm pretty sure :bandanadee: dies early to that combo because of how high he goes when he gets hit), so that's also a weakness :bandanadee: has for exchange of being hard to combo imo.

All the 4 moves I said in the previous post that have weaknesses, can also be of really good use, but you need to practice how to use them and not just throw those moves out there expecting something great to happen (cause it usually wont lol)

:metaknight: DOES NOT like fighting strong up air and up b characters like :fox: , :bowser: , :wario: etc.

BUT! imo, :metaknight: has a really good punish game. For example against :luigi: , his up air is good, but if you learn to air dodge fast fall, you can hopefully catch him in the air with a up air string to up b. Idk if this would work same against someone like :bowser: (pretty sure not against :fox: ), so yeah lol.

Also, when they DO hit you with an up air, try to fast fall dair to stop their attempt to up air you (don't know yet if it stops :wario: s up b) or try to fly away but be sure your at a good distance to fly away so another up air wont hit. You can't air dodge right after up air hit (or any hit I think) so yeah. Maybe as soon as you do your jump after the up air hit, you can try to air dodge quick before another up air hits you (maybe).

I would mostly suggest fighting against characters with strong up airs on the ground, and not fly around so much.

When coming to fighting projectile characters like :mario: and :luigi: , At-least for what I do, I fire ball and bait with up smash or up airs.

I think trying to bait that out, and fast falling to maybe dair or fair, is a good way to probably get in? Well it's something.

Because :metaknight: has flight, I say maybe let them keep spamming projectiles and fly around them, but make sure to watch out for them to probably fair or up air like :samus: may do. Flying around projectiles is a good thing :metaknight: , don't bother shield against them, imo shielding as :metaknight: kinda suks.. kinda.

When it comes to fighting projectile characters as :metaknight: , imo it's better to fly around them then shield when they are spamming projectiles.

You can still sometimes try to shield then grab them and up throw (which usually mostly only kills around 155+%).

His up throw is a cool funny SD move that can take away both players stocks with them not being able to escape it (maybe unless :megaman: bomb can still activate like in ssb4, same with :link: )

I think :metaknight: neutral jab (not the forward tilt) is a good move to stop momentum, but remember that you can't spam the neutral attack because people are able to grab or attack you out of it (just like tornado, but idk if they can grab you out of it lol).

I think neutral attack could be a good edge guard tool to stop their second jump or make their flight shorter, and makes you able to go for a f smash maybe. They are able to grab after the 3rd or 4th hit I think of the neutral jab.

Don't over estimate his recovery, he has multiple jumps yes, but his 4th and 5th jump lose have lower height than the first 3 jumps, and even with up b, it still is a hard recovery for :metaknight: for when he gets spiked, so be careful.

His down special can be used a run away to safety move sorta, just don't do the slash if you think they wont get to the spot your trying to teleport to at the right time, cause not doing the slash when you down special causes less lag.

Try practicing side b and his 5 jumps to up b on the ledge. Idk if down special is a good idea to use to get back to the ledge, cause you can sometimes end up SDing instead of reaching on stage or the ledge with down special and I feel same way with tornado. So when recovering, I'd just mostly recommend just using side b to ledge and his 5 jumps to up b.

Some people might be like me and have a habbit of where they would up tilt to attempt trying to combo them after they get hit by it, but you just end up staying on the stage/plat form and keep doing up tilt, so yeah, it's good to practice to dash attack and up tilt and get off the floor and try to combo, unless of course your fighting someone like :falco: or :fox: where you could go for something else after the up tilt like maybe down tilt to another up tilt to f smash or another down tilt.

Because of his 5 jumps, you can maybe play mind games on the ledge.

His back throw is really good, he can hit right after the back throw which allows him to have a chance to up b (so basically can be used as a kill setup for up b or up air string to up) He has a chance to do this because, after he hits them right after the back throw, they are forced into the air and they stay up there long enough for you to do it, but they are also able to move out of the way so you may not be able to catch them. Sometimes they might not go so high in the air, but you can still fair.

His down throw is also good for trying to combo like, down throw to down tilt into something else, but they can roll the opposite side of where you facing so you would have to guess. But sometimes when I predict the roll, I usually bair and get the 2 hits from it into another grab, or do something else when predicting the roll, but I think the bair is good.

His up smash doesn't kill anytime soon, but can be used to send opponents back into the air to continue combos or start them (maybe not at low percent to start).

So again, main things I think most :metaknight: players should first learn to do (maybe not first) is, practice up air string combos, back air combos (after the second hit), down special timing, recovery, teching, up tilt and down tilt combos, and stopping the neutral jab to try grab, hit or run away, shield droping and back throw setups.

I might be wrong about some things, but feel free to correct me if I am :mrgreen: .

Btw, anyone know a good combo that could lead into :metaknight: s tornado?

I hope this post helps people who wanna use :metaknight: but not sure about things he can do.

Edit: I think someone might do a take a shot everytime I said "I" or "maybe" challenge here lol.

Edit 2: I don't mean for this post for people to read it and think I mean you should play :metaknight: in only 1 way, but you can take ideas from this post and maybe mix it into your play style if you find yourself struggling with certain things too.

Practicing: :yoshi:

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 pm

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
oh.
my.
FFFFFFAAAWWWWWWWKKKK!!

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:04 am

darkyrinorex wrote:
Sometimes they might not go so high in the air, but you can still fair.
Do you know what DI is? If you do, one thing you can do is see what followups work at certain precents and DI. If you don't, it is this.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:12 am

bunq wrote:
darkyrinorex wrote:
Sometimes they might not go so high in the air, but you can still fair.
Do you know what DI is? If you do, one thing you can do is see what followups work at certain precents and DI. If you don't, it is this.

I do

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 am

What if I asked if they could buff his air speed or do something to make his ground game a little better? :thinking:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm

MGN Username: thebeep41
Currently Playing: Void Els, BnS, AK, DFO, GA2, and SSF2
imo MK is fine where he is.

o-o

"Because if you were truly tired of it, you would've done something about it."

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
:idea: :ichigo: :chibirobo: :captainfalcon: :link: :bomberman: :sheik: :idea:
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:58 pm

TheBeep wrote:
imo MK is fine where he is.

o-o

Eh, his grab has a blind spot, so yeah maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Tbh, if they want to try make :metaknight: a little more different than smash 4 :metaknight: , i'd honestly say change :metaknight: 's jab or side b, into this jab attack (that looks kinda like :marth: 's) he has in kirby planet robobot (this is just a random idea for the luls, no need to take this post seriously, but the idea could still be cool to add imo).

Doesn't have to be all the hits in that jab he has in kirby planet robobot tho.

Not my video

0:12 or 0:14
YouTube Video:

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:46 am

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
darkrinorex wrote:
Eh, his grab has a blind spot

Welcome to the club

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 am

Has anyone found some good combos for :metaknight: where people can't easily DI out of? I practiced so many combos just to find out everyone can DI easily out of almost every combo I try to do, mostly after down throw.. and when I look at good combo characters like :wario: .. I get a bit salty lol.

But yeah again, has anyone found a good combo people can't easily DI out of?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:28 pm

(since he seems like smash 4 :metaknight: anyway)

I kinda suggest making his up tilt more like his smash 4 up tilt imo.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
:metaknight: was one of the first characters I ever mained in the Smash Bros series.
I remember when I was 12 (2012), playing at one of my relatives houses on the Wii, picking :metaknight: because he looked the least um... Strange? I don't know why, but he looked the most approachable character to me. This was before I knew anything about the mechanics of Smash, or even the concept that the joystick input changed what move you performed at the press of a button. I also didn't realize you had to knock someone off the stage to kill them, so I was really bad at it.

Come just last year (2016), I was invited to a game club at my school where we played Smash for Wii U. Once again I picked :metaknight: because he was the most familiar to me, but everyone thought that I mained him from brawl because... reasons. Eventually I decided to branch out, and by this point I was very familiar with the mechanics of Smash Bros. Now, I can't play :metaknight: for the life of me, but he was the character that introduced me to Smash, and I'm thankful for him.

I'm trying to pick him up again, since he's a high tier character, but he's kinda tricky to use. I wish he still had the Dash attack>Up-B setup from Smash4.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:42 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Luckily for you, Dash Attack turns into a literal "do whatever you want" setup on spacies :chibirobo:

Can someone explain the design on Dair to me? I dont really understand what the move is supposed to do in its current state. In 0.9b it was pretty slow, but made up for that with decent KB and range, making it a solid edgeguarding tool. Nothing to flat out KO people with, but getting Daired offstage usually was enough to lose that stock. Beta Dair is still on the slow side despite its speed buff, but the KB is so laughably poor that it rarely puts people in a sticky situation anymore, thus making it obsolete for edgeguarding. Is it supposed to be a combo starter? Because that doesnt work out from what I can tell, and as a zoning tool it is simply outclassed due to its speed and weak grounded hitbox.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:22 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
TSF|Skylar wrote:
Luckily for you, Dash Attack turns into a literal "do whatever you want" setup on spacies :chibirobo:

Can someone explain the design on Dair to me? I dont really understand what the move is supposed to do in its current state. In 0.9b it was pretty slow, but made up for that with decent KB and range, making it a solid edgeguarding tool. Nothing to flat out KO people with, but getting Daired offstage usually was enough to lose that stock. Beta Dair is still on the slow side despite its speed buff, but the KB is so laughably poor that it rarely puts people in a sticky situation anymore, thus making it obsolete for edgeguarding. Is it supposed to be a combo starter? Because that doesnt work out from what I can tell, and as a zoning tool it is simply outclassed due to its speed and weak grounded hitbox.

Yeah, I've noticed that you can perform that setup on :fox: , :falco: , and :captainfalcon: . I think that :metaknight: 's aerials are all just options to keep your opponent unable to do anything to you in the air. Except for Uair, you can carry your opponent to the top with that thing.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Ravin_Raven wrote:
TSF|Skylar wrote:

Yeah, I've noticed that you can perform that setup on :fox: , :falco: , and :captainfalcon: . I think that :metaknight: 's aerials are all just options to keep your opponent unable to do anything to you in the air. Except for Uair, you can carry your opponent to the top with that thing.

Laddering with MK, at-least without plat forms, is hard to pull off (imo).

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm
 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next