The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:41 am

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I'm DSwift, and I'm jumping on the AMA bandwagon. AMA! 
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Hi.

I'm DSwift.

Last I checked, I was a decent at best Sora main with probably a bit too much matchup knowledge for it to be healthy as well as being a Tournament Organiser who has run a fair few too many series of tournaments over the course of six months.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon for AMAs because it looks fun and seeing as I have no computer to play SSF2 with and a surprising amount of time to spare, why not?Suli's looked interesting, so here's the one nobody asked for, nor expected. :pikachu:

The questions do not have to be SSF2 related, so feel free to ask.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:27 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
Are you really good at this game?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:32 pm
YIM WWW
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Doqtor Kirby wrote:
Are you really good at this game?

I said I was decent at best.

Let's just go with no to make things simpler.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:35 pm
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: spid3y916
Currently Playing: SSF2
Should I jump on the AMA bandwagon even though I cannot give anything good to the competitive scene whatsoever? jk
How's being a SSF2 TO and what's your biggest dream for both SSF2 and in life in general?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:04 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
Smash 4 mains?

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:04 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Melee or Brawl?

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:15 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
If you could change one character placement on the current tier list, where would you put them?

Also, any idea of what career you're looking to do?

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:25 pm
BR Member

spid3y916 wrote:
Should I jump on the AMA bandwagon even though I cannot give anything good to the competitive scene whatsoever? jkDO IT!
How's being a SSF2 TO and what's your biggest dream for both SSF2 and in life in general?

1. It's can be a mixed bag really. On the one hand, it's actually a lot of fun. Seeing your tournament go well makes you feel like your work's paid off, yet if it goes badly, you can feel a bit off maybe even starting salty suites :pika:. The main downside for my TOing skills is the timezone. If you want participants, then ideally you'll need to base timings around the US timezone, which is often really late for people in Europe, which isn't the most ideal. However, I think the best part is TOing with someone else. A second TO can give you another opinion, and you can often get a good conversation with another TO. Generally, it's incredibly enjoyable.

2. In SSF2...I'd say my biggest dream is to gain back the respect I lost last year. There wasn't much of it, but I think just improving consistently would see this through, and the only thing being the best would do to me is inflate my head and I don't need that.
In life, my dream is to succeed. Getting somewhere within computer science is always a good thing, but the best I can ask for is to enjoy life. Not much, but then again, it's enough.

SoF | Suli Hyuga wrote:
Smash 4 mains?

Oh boy, has this varied over the course of my time playing it.
The only character I've stuck with the whole way is Robin. Robin just clicks with me and setting up traps is incredibly fun. I tend to gravitate around a certain number of secondaries, but the most common are Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario, Greninja, Falco, and Mii Swordfighter. I make it a policy not to main the same characters across games, so this is why I don't play Lucas, Mewtwo and Ganondorf anymore.

The short answer is Robin, as they are the only character I've stuck to playing sonce I first got the game.

Corrin looks fun though.

TSF|Skailler wrote:
Melee or Brawl?

Personal preference is Brawl over Melee, but not by much. Melee's a lot of fun if I feel like a fast paced game, but I tend to prefer Brawl more due to my pathetic reaction times. Plus Brawl has Wolf, and that's one thing that sells me :) As much as I like Melee, the game just doesn't click as well with me like Brawl and Smash 4 do. So, given the choice, I'd usually play Brawl over Melee.

Also, there's no Melee/Brawl scene where I am, but Brawl actually has semi-competent AI so that's another reason XD

tW|Sorabotics wrote:
If you could change one character placement on the current tier list, where would you put them?

Also, any idea of what career you're looking to do?

Difficult. One would be to move Sora out, but that's just kidding myself.

I would move Naruto to 14th, moving everyone else up. Naruto's rep isn't good enough for a top 10 character in all seriousness. (Block's somewhere, Scum's left, and Miracle and Niayre don't enter many tournaments). Considering all the characters in the A Tier tend to have either strong rep (Tails, DK and BBM) , or increasingly strong rep (Goku and BM), leaving Naruto as a bit of an outlier, especially considering characters like DK and BBM, who have really had increased rep.

As for the career I'm looking to do, I am looking to do something in the computer science area of work after I finish university, (which is a while, considering I haven't actually started university yet :D), but I don't have my heart set on something as of yet.

Keep the questions coming guys :)

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:33 pm

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
where's sora on the tier list

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:09 am
BR Member

WRXJoey wrote:
where's sora on the tier list

The best I can give you is a range: He's guaranteed bottom 3, and he probably belongs at either 28th-29th.

Anyone who plays this game knows Sora's got a serious problem with poor KO power, light weight and poor survivability, as well as pathetic disjointed range. His matchups are in general poor, with him winning no matchups and going even with only a few characters ( :wario: , :captainfalcon: , and :jigglypuff: come to mind), and being beaten by everybody to varying degrees ( :sonic: and :kirby: aren't too bad for Sora, whereas :bomberman: , :ichigo: and :metaknight: absolutely annihilate him). Finally, Sora's results are really sporadic. Sora has placed high before in tournament (Cruisin's had 5th, Anonim's had 1st, Eldog had 4th iirc and I've had 7th before), but other times it's been less good (Myself and Anonim placed 13th and 17th respectively in Crow's Nest and Sora doesn't have a history of doing well either). His results are too inconsistent to make a considerable impact on the list, and his playerbase doesn't do much in terms of participating/gaining results (Cruisin plays a few other characters afaik, I don't enter tournaments often, and Anonim gets relatively sporadic results).

The best point I can make is that there are too many flaws in both matchups and design for the character to do well and the inconsistencies in his tournament places really don't help his situation. Whilst his meta looks like it could be developing further, I have a feeling that if he's going to change his place this demo, it'll be like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. (Someone will do well with him, people will claim he could have unused potential, and then they'll realise that it'll be down to that player's own skill that he actually won, and nothing to do with the character's potential, moving him back down.)

TL;DR - Sora's around 28-29th. His results are inconsistent, his matchups are terrible and he will probably never move far from that spot.

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:34 pm

MGN Username: 194
Currently Playing: most likely Celeste
Waifu: Curly Brace
Do you realize bandwagoning is a bad sign in this game? I should vote you already :pikachu:

Avatar and signature pics by Semicolon.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:44 pm
BR Member

0xC2 wrote:
Do you realize bandwagoning is a bad sign in this game? I should vote you already :pikachu:

Haha.

Damnit, I just got found out. Better Lynch: OxC2 :pikachu:

In all seriousness, I tried running a power madness game on Crusade. It seemed to work pretty well, but I wonder if anyone's gonna make another MG Mafia any time soon. I'd join if it happened.

Or maybe I'll just think of a good setup or something.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:08 am

MGN Username: Yoshiblaze
Currently Playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, Kid Icarus: Uprising
Who do you like TOing with the most? (My guess is Skai)

And

What do you think of the Kirby/Sora MU?

Sm4sh Main: :pit:
Brawl Main: :kirby:
Melee Main: Image
Fav Video Game Character: :yoshi:

Thunder Edge Staff Member: Head Tournament Organizer (when Thunder Edge existed)

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:42 pm
BR Member

Yoshiblaze wrote:
Who do you like TOing with the most? (My guess is Skai)

And

What do you think of the Kirby/Sora MU?

1. Tricky question actually.

Whilst I really like TOing with Skai, I can't really preference anybody. EZVega and Electric91 (Hypest) helped make some of the tournaments feel really official and were still pretty fun to talk to. If my connection went bust or some other problem occured, they were pretty understanding and were pretty much always cool with it (save for that last time). Additionally, when I did stop TOing for Hypest, they were somewhat concerned that I was forcing too much work with them. Both you and Skai help really start and keep that friendly vibe when your TOing and I've had a lot of fun TOing with both of you, and you're also a lot of fun to talk to about things in general and with SSF2. Whilst both sets of people have different merits regarding their style TOing, I can't really pick a favourite.

2. Kirby/Sora is an interesting matchup and one I admittedly haven't played much.
Sora can hold his own in general fairly well, due to his superior speed and disjoints. Whilst Kirby is a lightweight, making him easier to kill, he's also more difficult to combo, and Kirby not only has better kill moves (obviously), but also a much better time recovering than Sora. Because of this, Kirby can take more risks when edgeguarding, as he only has to worry about getting stagespiked or hit with a XFCD Flowmotion, which would weakly meteor him, whereas Sora would lose the edgeguarding game due to his lack of options that would end up crippling his recovery/lead to a punish. Kirby also gimps Sora very easily. So Kirby would win offstage game. Sora's punish game is hampered by it's reliance on combos, and at low percents, this doesn't do him any favours, as he has increased difficulty comboing due to light weight, and he's not able to kill particularly early at said percents. Kirby can get good enough mileage out of some of his moves such that it would cripple Sora, or force him offstage (such as a Bair) or a hard punish such as an FSmash or USmash. Because of Sora's hampered combo game, which in essence leads to a hampered punish game, Kirby would also win punish game. Sora however can play neutral well enough due to his disjoints, and he can generally do well in a neutral situation against Kirby simply because he can rush him down and deal enough damage to compensate for his lack of combos, leading to a more hit-and-run style. Because of this, on the neutral game, Sora can generally outperform Kirby simply by virtue of his speed.

Depending on your perspective, this could be considered 55:45 because of Sora winning the neutral game in theory, or it could be considered worse/better. However, most Sora mains will probably agree that it is 55:45 in Kirby's Favour.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:17 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Who is your favorite Smasher to watch? Not just SSF2, but Smash in general. Also, do you watch "the real fighting games" or play them competitive?

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:05 pm
 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next