The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 am

[ 3 posts ] 
tW|Sorabotics's BR App (Third Time's a Charm) 
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
Name: tW|Sorabotics

How old are you?: 20

Which characters do you play in ssf2 (the greatest game bestowed upon us by his majesty, Cleod9)? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game) I main Peach and pretty much only Peach (as many know). While I have tried several other secondaries (Marth, Mario, Naruto), I'll just go into why I play Peach. I love her recovery and her high priority aerials. But most notably, I loooove her edgeguarding game. Her fast float and great recovery allows her to do super deep and hype edgeguards that I can't get enough of!

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.): I've played Smash 64 a little, and usually play Fox or Yoshi. Melee is my highest skill level smash game (outside of SSF2) and I play Pikachu and am temporarily trying Marth as a possible replacement main (I also secondary Falco and Roy lol but not in a serious manner). I have not played Brawl very much, but I understand some things about it. I usually enjoy playing Falco, Marth, and Lucas.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place? Yes, I have attended many smash tournies. My college hosts Melee and PM tournies every Friday and big melee tournies a couple times a year. My best placing by far was at GatorLAN Winterfest 2014 (January). It was a Melee tourney with over 200 entrants and I placed 13th. I usually place top 8 or just outside top 8 out of 30 melee entrants at each weekly tourney. I have also been in several SSF2 tournies, with two second place finishes, a 5th, 7th and a 9th place I believe, most of which had 20+ entrants.

When did you start playing ssf2 (the greatest game bestowed upon us by his majesty, Cleod9)? I started playing back as a sophomore in high school during 0.6 or 0.7.

What is your favorite stage in ssf2 (the greatest game bestowed upon us by his majesty, Cleod9)? Explain. Competitively, my favorite stage is ToS. It has the open nature of FD with platforms on the side to aid recovery and allow for a safe spot to play defensively when your opponent has momentum or when you're at high percent. Casually, it's always been Comet Observatory, I love the transitions into the different galaxies and the sprite work on the stage.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the ssf2 (the greatest game bestowed upon us by his majesty, Cleod9) tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others? Hmm, this question always gets me, and my answer changes week to week. But if I had to say, I think Meta Knight is the best in the game. However, I don't think any player has unlocked his full potential quite yet so its hard to say. Objectively though, Meta Knight has high priority aerials, multiple recovery options, and quick moves, allowing him to have a great edgeguarding and punish game. He has a fast dash speed, allowing him to approach more easily than some of the cast and allowing him to tech chase well. However, MK is a lightweight so he can die off the top easily and may have trouble KOing if unable to land a sweetspot Nair, Fsmash, or U-spec. But his pros outweigh his cons in my opinion. Lloyd is definitely a close second though.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the ssf2 (the greatest game bestowed upon us by his majesty, Cleod9) tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others? Hmm, I think I'm going to have to go with Jigglypuff on this one. While she has good aerial mobility and good aerials, she lacks a good way to deal with projectile-based characters and characters with long range, which gives her many disadvantageous MU's. She is also the lightest in the game so she gets KO'd off the top very quickly, and her dash speed is the second slowest or slowest in the game, so her ground game options are limited. She is viable, but I would say she is the least viable, especially since I haven't seen anyone make good headway for her meta.

If you could make only one change to ssf2 (the greatest game bestowed upon us by his majesty, Cleod9) as it currently is, what would it be and why?
I think a small amount of crouch cancelling could make competitive SSF2 a little better. It would make a lot of quick, safe moves that people spam less safe and make people start to think of new ways to counter it and come up with better neutral games.

What is your view on items in competitive play? Items should never be allowed in competitive play. They are random and offer any player the chance to win by luck.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam. Yes, I have skype.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.

I want to join the BR because I want to offer my knowledge of smash in general to the BR. After playing Melee with high level players (top players in Florida such as HBox, Renth, BluEG, etc), my understanding of smash as a whole and SSF2 have grown immensely. I have put a lot of time into competitive SSF2, which has allowed me to become skilled and teach others. I want to contribute my knowledge not only to the member of the BR but the the community as a whole. I believe the BR needs more members who have knowledge of Smash outside of SSF2 and Brawl.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)

I encourage you to watch my Peach combo video and maybe parts of my Peach tutorial (there are timestamps in the description for each section). These videos exemplify my knowledge and understanding of SSF2 and general smash concepts. You may also watch matches against top level players and tournies on my channel.

Peach Tutorial (I know its long, you don't have to watch the whole thing lol)
YouTube Video:

Peach Combo Video
YouTube Video:

Link the videos on channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorabotics/videos

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Use the stagelist from below to answer the following questions:

Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS (both stages can be stricken at once)
Smashville
Stadium III
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:
Warioware
Dreamland
Tower of Salvation (Cannot be played if FD/3DS are stricken)
Castle Siege
Dracula's Castle

1.) What is Peach´s best/worst stage and why?
2.) Discuss the Peach vs. Jigglypuff MU. Elaborate general gameplan, possible strategies, neutral game, combo options, edgeguarding, possible punishes etc. Conclude with a +/- ratio that sums up your thoughts (e.g. 60/40 means that Peach is the advantage).

Be detailed in your responses.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
[quote="Skailler"]Use the stagelist from below to answer the following questions:

Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS (both stages can be stricken at once)
Smashville
Stadium III
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:
Warioware
Dreamland
Tower of Salvation (Cannot be played if FD/3DS are stricken)
Castle Siege
Dracula's Castle

1.) What is Peach´s best/worst stage and why?

Hmm, I would say that Dreamland is Peach's best stage in general (though this can change depending on the MU. Its a relatively big stage, allowing Peach to survive off the top a little longer and gives her more room to tech chase with float cancelled aerials and more room to pull turnips for a defensive game or a safe approach. While I do like ToS for Peach, I think the platforms are important for Peach's punish game. Peach can cover platforms quite well with float cancel U-airs and Nairs, and she can auto-cancel her parasol on the top platform into any attack. The large amount of space on both sides of the stage allow Peach to take full advantage of her fast float to secure deep edgeguards against opponents with limited recovery options.

I believe that Pokemon Stadium can prove difficult to play on for Peach. The main reason for this argument is the low platforms on both sides of the stage. Since turnips disappear when they land on platforms, opponents with good range or projectiles are able to play a safe game against Peach with no fear of getting hit by turnips by staying by either far side of the stage. Since the stage is medium sized, it is harder for Peach to approach since turnips will be hard to land and it won't be a close quarters battle (and turnips don't travel as far when thrown compared to the regular smash games).

2.) Discuss the Peach vs. Jigglypuff MU. Elaborate general gameplan, possible strategies, neutral game, combo options, edgeguarding, possible punishes etc. Conclude with a +/- ratio that sums up your thoughts (e.g. 60/40 means that Peach is the advantage).

In this MU, Peach has to use her float aerials very precisely. Since neither of these characters can combo each other, this is a game of spacing and patience. Peach must also use turnips to her advantage, since Puff has a difficult time dealing with projectiles and since Puff can combat Peach's good aerials with her own. If Puff wants to win, she has to play very safe, and capitalize as much as possible once she lands a hit confirm. She has to respect Peach's turnips and Nair and watch out for Fair as this will be Peach's primary KO move on her since Puff dies off the top easily. Peach will have to watch out for Bair walls from Puff, as they can block some of Peach's approach options. Luckily, Peach won't have to worry about Rest too much since she is a floaty and it is quite difficult to combo into a rest against a floaty. Puff's roll is also good, so Peach will have to be patient and not get caught approaching too rashly or else she can get F-smashed and die off the top corner or the side. In neutral, Puff will be throwing out Bairs and Fairs while Peach will be throwing turnips to ensure a hit confirm or weaving in and out with float with Nairs or Bairs to catch puff inbetween her attacks. If Peach lands a turnips and she's close enough, she should go for a Fair to force Puff to come back down to stage. If Puff lands a Bair, she will have to try to land another, and then read her DI to follow-up. Puff will be able to get U-air chains on Peach as well as Dair into U-tilt or grab. Peach has a limited combo game against Puff, really only able to chain a couple of Nairs together, or a D-tilt into Nair, Ftilt, or even U-tilt if puff lands on a platform. If Peach keeps getting outbeaten by Puff's Fair, she should start incorporating Bairs, which come out very quickly and have a good hitbox. F-tilt can actually stop Jiggs from coming in if times correctly, and can lead into an aerial follow-up. Puff Nair will also prove to be a useful tool to catch Peach is she's on the ground or goes in too aggressively, as it has high priority and stays out for a long time.

Puff wins the edgeguarding aspect, as she has multiple jumps to both avoid being edgeguarded and to allow her to go far offstage to intercept Peach's recovery. Jiggs will have to use Fair and Bair to keep Peach offstage. Peach will often be forced to recover low and sweetspot with Parasol, which is extremely difficult to edgeguard onstage, or float high above the stage and airdodge through Puff's attempts at edgeguarding. If Puff recovers low, Peach can use turnips, Nairs, and Fairs to try to get her but if Puff recovers high Peach will be forced to read when Puff will use her jumps and read it with a Fair (the optimal option) or clip her with a Nair.

As far as punishing goes, Jiggs will have to punish with multiple Bairs or Fairs, and F-smash. U-air chains will work as well if Peach is coming from the top of the stage. Peach will have to airdodge through these or use Dair which has high priority despite lacking range. While Puff will have to land clutch edgeguards and good reads, if Peach lands a Fair either in neutral or off of a turnips, Puff will die at around 85-100% depending on her DI. Puff will also die from Peach U-smash quite early, but it will be extremely difficult to land since Puff will be in the air most the game. Puff can also use F-throw to finish Peach off at low 100's percent if close to the side of the stage and Peach can use F-throw to KO Puff as well. Peach Nair and Puff Bair and Fair will not kill early, so they will have to rely on the options previously stated to finish each other off.

Overall, both characters have a solid aerial game. Although Puff has a little bit better of a recovery, and a slightly better combo options, Peach holds a stronger advantage in the neutral. Peach has more options to take Puff's stock early, with F-air giving Peach the opportunity to take the lead even if percents stay even each stock since it KO's off the top quite well. Peach has turnips at her disposal to keep Puff at bay, rack up percent, and get follow ups into aerials. Puff will have to work much harder than Peach to secure this win in the end. I would say the MU ratio is 65:35 in Peach's favor.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:38 pm
 [ 3 posts ]