The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm

[ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Deep 

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Deep is a dungeon crawler/platformer/action/metroidvania/a bunch of other things that I'm making in C++ for PC and probably eventually Mac as well. You control a robot who has to explore a giant randomly generated world, consisting of many unique environments and terrains, while battling the wildlife for survival. As you progress you'll collect microchips which can be installed on your robot to provide it all kinds of tools, both explorative and combative.
ImageImageImageImage

(note the above .gifs are captured at 33 fps and so don't entirely accurately represent what the game looks like, since it runs at 60 fps)

There's a website, http://www.deepthegame.wordpress.com where I post blog updates every once in a while with new pictures or information about the game, and sometimes videos.
Here's the description of the game that I have on my website:

Quote:
When people ask what my game is about, my explanations tend to start the same way; “Well basically you’re a cute little robot dude. I like robots.” (the cute little robot dude is pictured several times above). But that’s a pretty useless description. The trouble is that Deep doesn’t really fit neatly into any genre of game. It’s pretty Deep™ and complex that way. Let me get you interested by hyping up the key points of what makes the game unique.

• The Robot
The cute little robot dude is actually a big feature of the game. At the outset of your adventure, it’s equipped with nothing but a bumper bar attachment that can be used for basic self defense. However, as the game progresses, you’ll start to collect Microchips. There are well over 100 different Microchips, and they all give the robot some kind of upgrade that will help out in combat, exploration, or both! They also change how your robot looks, adding new bits and pieces to his exterior. You’ll find different Microchips on each playthrough of the game, so if you have a friend who is also playing Deep (make sure you and all your friends are playing Deep), you’ll both end up with totally different robots! There’s a limit to how many you can have installed at once though, so you’ll have to pick and choose which set of Microchips you think best suit your style of play.

Oh, and also, the robot has what’s called a Personality Core, and can be quite talkative! He’ll have dialogue that is partially randomly chosen, and partially dependent on what is actually going on in the game. Some of his comments are quite funny, and others are quite helpful. I think you’ll grow quite fond of the ‘cute little robot dude’ by the time you finish with Deep.

• Gigantic Randomly Generated World
The world of Deep is absolutely gigantic (and funnily enough, goes pretty far underground)! When you play the game you’re going to have a lot of exploring to do. What really makes it special though is that the world you explore will be different to the world explored by every single other person playing the game! When you create your save file in Deep, lots of really complicated programs and algorithms that I wrote work together to create a huge world that is completely unique and full of cool exciting stuff. Like mushrooms. One time it made a world with lots of mushrooms.

Mushrooms aside, even the names of the levels are randomly created by the game! I’ve seen it come up with names that are simple, like “Frost Cave”, names that are badass, like “Devil’s Lake”, and names that are absolutely over the top awesome ridiculous, like “The Volcanic Pits of Courage”. It just gives the world you get to explore that much more personality. Even after spending hundreds of hours testing and working on the game, I honestly still often find myself exploring to see what kinds of cool environments the game has come up with. All of this also means that even after you finish Deep, you’ll just be able to start again with a new save file and have a whole new experience with the game, and enjoy it just as much.

• Fun, Frantic, Strategic Combat
Deep doesn’t take place on Earth, and this is made very obvious by the cast of alien creatures you’ll encounter! Each species has its own unique behavioral patterns and self-defense mechanisms, and you’ll have to get to know them all if you want to stand a chance. Deep’s combat is unique and somewhat hard to describe. There are a lot of different ways to handle any given situation, and your options only expand as you start to find more Microchips that let the robot use all kinds of cool weapons and tools. Some weapons use physical resources, which you’ll want to collect and preserve. Others are battery powered, requiring you to charge up your attacks. Other tools still don’t even directly attack creatures, and instead provide you with a whole new set of tactics! This is all without even mentioning the bosses!

• Anyway...
…I really could sit here and write out the reasons that I’m excited to make this game, and not be finished for a very long time, but I don’t want to spoil everything before the game is even out! Hopefully these these features have you excited for the game’s eventual release. If you’re looking for more info, check out the F.A.Q. page. If your question isn’t answered there, feel free to contact me using any of the links up the top of the page.

Last edited by Tid on Sun May 31, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
This game looks great so far! Might turn out to be 2deep4me but whatever I'll probably buy it anyways

Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks, glad you like the look of it

Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Currently Playing: with power. Nintendo power.
What you've got is definitely looking good. The sprites could use a bit of touching up, but then, that's to be expected of a solo project.

My biggest gripe, from what I'm seeing so far, is in the logo itself; it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the game. It's shiny and futuristic where the rest of the game is dark and natural. Even the robot character himself feels more like WALL-E while the logo suggests EVE.

By-the-bye, what's the game being programmed in? Game Maker? C+? Flash?

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

I should warn you for that

Fri May 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Sir Raptor wrote:
What you've got is definitely looking good. The sprites could use a bit of touching up, but then, that's to be expected of a solo project.

My biggest gripe, from what I'm seeing so far, is in the logo itself; it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the game. It's shiny and futuristic where the rest of the game is dark and natural. Even the robot character himself feels more like WALL-E while the logo suggests EVE.

By-the-bye, what's the game being programmed in? Game Maker? C+? Flash?

Yeah, I've never been the best sprite artist, hoping to become more competent out of necessity through working on this. I can see what you mean about the logo, I designed it before a lot of the visual aspects of the game were finalised, so it looked more in style back then. It'll probably get a redesign at some point.

C++.

Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Hey so I took a break for a couple of weeks for various reasons but I'm back now and I have a pretty lengthy content-filled update prepared for this week, make sure to check it out when it gets posted in about 10 hours from now!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:06 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Pochi
a golden heart that gives you another heart to your maxium life? I'm sure i saw this in another game...

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:
imagine having sex with a clown though
instead of a dick he just has one of those flowers that shoots water out

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Currently Playing: League of Legends, Killing Floor 2, Overwatch
Waifu: Cleod9
Pochiman wrote:
a golden heart that gives you another heart to your maxium life? I'm sure i saw this in another game...

The idea has been used in a lot of games. Like when you collect the heart containers in zelda and it adds another heart and I think you can link it to mario's 1-up system.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:24 pm
Site Moderator

i only saw it in zelda,but for me it doesn't have anything to do with mario's 1up system

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 pm

It's not from anything in particular, I went with making it a differently coloured heart to the usual health pickups because with the small item sprites, colour is the easiest way for me to make something visually distinct.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Currently Playing: with power. Nintendo power.
For the sake of keeping a single style, maybe you could consider making the health upgrades a different kind of chip. Like a RAM upgrade or something.

Also, now I find myself wondering if there's a reason why the organic bosses are carrying microchips on them...

also I hope there's a microchip upgrade that gives you a collectible radar.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

I should warn you for that

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:10 am
Site Moderator

it reminds me a bit to cave story

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am

Just to let y'all know, rather than weekly blog posts, I now post a new screenshot on the website twice a week. Should help me finish the game faster.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 am

Tid wrote:
Just to let y'all know, rather than weekly blog posts, I now post a new screenshot on the website twice a week. Should help me finish the game faster.

wow are you sakurai

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:39 am
Site Moderator

Kyuubit wrote:
Tid wrote:

wow are you sakurai

sakurai posts 5 a week

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:16 pm
 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next