The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:41 pm

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Looking for someone to help balance my Anime ratings system. 

Currently Playing: UNIST
SS wrote:
Tyli-Amuwau wrote:
Whimzer wrote:
better rating system:

robots?
yes > good stuff
no > trash it

Characters gay or lolis?
yes > good stuff
no > trash it

Character depth & development
yes > good stuff
no > trash it

Basically most anime sucks c***.

Yes. Yes. This. This is how you rate an anime.

Mechafags everywhere.

I just pointed out lolis- WAIT A SECOND. I gotta fix something.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 am
YIM

I've left this alone for too long.

I came up with a better system months ago but never posted it here. My new system is based on four categories: Animation, Characters, Sound, and Plot. I came up with it after seeing a similar system on anime-planet.com, but I digress.

All categories are weighed equally except Plot which is still double. So in esscence, Animation, Characters, and Sound are each worth 20% of the final score while Plot is worth 40%. The final score system is also different from what you would expect: The score is divided by 10, making it a multiple of 100 percent. 50% is average while 100% is absolute perfection and anything below 10% is utter garbage. I've already made some reviews in that regard and will use a similar system for grading manga and video games.

So yeah, post your thoughts on this because I'm going to lock this topic soon.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:09 pm
Site Moderator

It's alright, I generally dislike any kind of rating that's not small like X out of five, but that's mostly because it seems every review just goes in 7-10 and people just get mad over that sort of thing (like that whole 8.8 controversy).

Will you make exceptions to the plot rating? Some anime and other media can just have a excuse plot for more action and such.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin
eh, mine is still better

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
Judge Greene wrote:
It's alright, I generally dislike any kind of rating that's not small like X out of five, but that's mostly because it seems every review just goes in 7-10 and people just get mad over that sort of thing (like that whole 8.8 controversy).

Will you make exceptions to the plot rating? Some anime and other media can just have a excuse plot for more action and such.

As long as he doesn't think complex plots are necessary for the makings of a great anime.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:40 am

Currently Playing: Mandolin
even though anime is heralded as thought provoking and an art form

most of it is s***

and nook watches that s***

i saw him do it last night

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:31 am
Site Moderator

Well it's just like any other forms of media really, though yes trying to make something thought-provoking can be horrible and like others it does have its bad shows. But I digress.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:45 am

Whimzer wrote:

most of it is s***

Does he watch current season anime, shows from the last decade, or the 90s or the 80s?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 am

Judge Greene wrote:

You've been watching X-Play, haven't you? But I digress, the 8.8 thing is kind of irrelevant because I grade them as if it was a high school report card, and as I said, the rating is really just ten divided by ten and written in such a way that it only looks like a percentage out of 100. Furthermore, the four categories I base my grades on are out of ten so there's no reason to worry.

As for exceptions, see below.

SS wrote:
As long as he doesn't think complex plots are necessary for the makings of a great anime.

It's not so much that an anime has to have an unnecessarily convoluted plot; (that would actually lose points) the plot would just have to actually be there. As long as the plot is decent and not clichéd or unnecessarily overcomplicated (I'm looking at you, Naruto!) it would be vary rare to see a low score for a plot. In addition, the really long animes such as Bleach would have a harder time earning a higher score simply because of how long they are and Naruto's plot earning a high score is pretty much out of the question because it's A: unnecessarily overcomplicated, and B: 51% filler arcs.

And then there are the really sad animes that have no plot at all, such as Panty & Stocking (what a steaming pile of crap that turned out to be...).

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:49 am

Some plots can be complex, or just require a little thought but work just as well as a simple one. Others may have been done before but it doesn't mean it is clichéd if it isn't fumbled.

Which brings me to this point.
D-Block wrote:
And then there are the really sad animes that have no plot at all, such as Panty & Stocking (what a steaming pile of crap that turned out to be...).

For the record I only watched a few episodes but I immediately figured out the point of have an episodic plot like it did. Not to mention the massive f*** you to the anime of decades past, that is, a great piece of derision on the dearth of moeblob/otaku shows. The plot fit right in as part of the greater whole of what it was trying to do so I'm not sure how you'd be able to miss something like that. Note that this is just my opinion on the matter, if you still feel strongly about it be a plotless piece of s***, or that any show can have no plot, feel free.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 pm

Currently Playing: SC2, SSBB (4168-0287-1402)
may i inquire as to what this would be used for? im curious.
because in general i really dislike putting labels on videos/movies/art/etc. I like a lot of things that have aspects that I previously didnt like, and i realize different tastes of mine that i never even knew about myself before as i experience new things

:S

idk

Adopted by Shounic

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm

The best rating system is:
s***
or
Awesome

When there is no middle ground, people can't do their 'alrights' and their '8 & 7'. Like when people use 8s & 7s to be mediocre, when really 5 is mediocre. And then you have a bunch of things rated the same score when they are obviously not the same standard.
Maybe, it would also encourage people to delve further and actually read the whole review, to see why it's bad/good.

But, obviously, all that ^ is out of the question.
I like where you are going with the plot rating though, like that the plot doesn't necessarily need to be good by itself. Like a book or something. But it can get a high rating if it's simple but works well with the anime.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Whimzer wrote:

most of it is s***

we all know that nook secretly feels positively about almost everything

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:51 pm
YIM WWW