The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:28 pm

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Land of the Setting Sun (Legacy Topic) 
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
Chouko was hungry. She was often hungry, granted. But this time she was really hungry. You know, really.

Harida's number one messenger was, however, to accord her some credit, a person of compassion. And despite her hunger, she felt that her priority must be to attend to the soldier who had fallen ill as a direct consequence of his protecting them from the star bugs. These were her sincere feelings, truly. Until the dragon princess entered the room ahead of her.

The visit could wait, yes. A sick man should not be crowded, after all. Too much moral support had been known to cause relapses (she had heard that somewhere, messenger’s honour). The poor soul needed space to breath, that he did.

Chouko burst into the tavern with glorious fanfare. (Which amounted to all of sliding the doors open as loudly as she could, grinning sheepishly at the disapproving bartender and closing them gently behind her.) She was hungry. She had no money, nor anything of value to trade for food, but she had a plan. With all the determination of a horseshoe mustache she strode across the room and leapt atop the central table, gleefully announcing herself to the establishment.

"I am Chouko Sasaki, not atch’yer service!" she bellowed. "And I bet I could eat more onigiri 'n anyone in this whole sorry bar! Who of y'all is brave'nuff to face me?"

She spun around, put one hand on her hips and, with a point of her index finger and an oversold wink at the man she thought would be most likely to accept her challenge, added, "Loser buys for both."

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:36 am

Hitomi slunk away from the main party as soon as she had assessed the situation. It was plain to see that Kimura had brought this on himself with his foolish machismo, and the calligrapher only used her relic's healing properties in dire emergencies anyway. If it was true that there was no doctor in town, though, she would have to keep an eye on his condition. But first, she had business in the bar. It had become almost habitual for her to visit the local drinking establishment immediately upon entering a new town. It had proved the most reliable way to both gather information and find work. Tonight was no different. As she entered the building, several of the patrons turned to look for a few moments before returning to their drinks, or whatever else they were occupied with. As she took a seat and looked about the room, she overheard some people talking at a table.

"-common dice games, but yes of course, just your company alone would be enough for us to treat you."

"Yeah, what my buddy here said. Of course let me reiterate when he says us, he still means me since I've almost cleared out these guys' spare change for now. Always do, I'm a bit of a local legend myself."

Hitomi allowed herself a mischievous grin. Perfect. She wasn't particularly skilled at gambling, but nevertheless, any occasion she'd had to participate in it had wound up being rather profitable. She withdrew a sheet of paper and used her relic to write out most of a kanji character, leaving it one mark short off completion. With that, she slipped the sheet into her sleeve before standing up and moving over to Heiwa's table.

"Pardon me." She interjected, giving a quick bow. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but-"

"I am Chouko Sasaki, not atch’yer service! And I bet I could eat more onigiri 'n anyone in this whole sorry bar! Who of y'all is brave'nuff to face me?" Hitomi twisted to face the source of the noise, perhaps more surprised than she should've been. She tilted her hat down further over her face before turning her attention back to the matter at hand, ignoring the overzealous girl's antics. Why couldn't she just con her food money out of people like a respectable traveller?

"Erm, that is, I just couldn't help to overhear." She continued. "Is it true what you said? You're him, the fabled bettor of Kyokaiyama? If so, it would be my honor to join your game. If you'd have me, of course."

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 am

Currently Playing: Skyrim,Warframe, and League Of Lag
Heiwa let out an audible sigh as they spoke to her. She really didn't feel up to gambling as shes preferred to hoard her coins and hide them. She also didn't care for any local legends never had probably never would. So she had formulated her answer carefully. But when she opened her mouth to speak another girl interrupted.

"Pardon me." Said the girl as she gave a quick bow. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but-"

Before that girl could finish another began shouting like a heathen. Heiwa began getting heated with the constant interruptions.
Heiwa let the shouting hooligan finish.
"anyone in this whole sorry bar! Who of y'all is brave'nuff to face me?"

Then Heiwa tried again to speak only to be interrupted again by the first girl.
"Erm, that is, I just couldn't help to overhear." She continued. "Is it true what you said? You're him, the fabled bettor of Kyokaiyama? If so, it would be my honor to join your game. If you'd have me, of course."

Heiwa was getting close to snapping but she managed to compose herself. She began to think before she took a swig of her brew. She stood up and began making her way to the child on the table, taking her drink with her. She looked down most of the way once arriving at the table she looked up at the young one.

"I'll accept your challenge." Heiwa smiled at Chouko. "Two bowls of nice and hot Miso soup."
Heiwa sat at the table setting her drink on the table. She motioned for the girl to get down before she continued to speak. "How terribly rude of me but I forgot to introduce myself. I am Captain Heiwa Yoki."

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:52 pm

It was not hard to find a shrine, but none of the places dedicated to "Zō-ki" and "Kamaitachi" (whoever they were supposed to be) caught Hideki's eye, and so the archer wandered. Like most villages, Kyokaiyama had groupings of shrines rather that dedicated houses for each; many lesser gods and spirits had no representation at all. If one didn't subscribe to any particular belief system, however, then one of the shrines of the Earth, Moon, or Sun would generally be used to pray. As the young man chanced upon one such trio of stone slabs, he saw two young girls praying at Sun's shrine. Well, what was left of the shrine, in any case; the masonry was in a terrible state of disrepair. As Hideki drew closer, the pious girls took notice of the approaching stranger and scurried away in a flutter of hushed footfalls.

---

"It's not too bad, Hime-sama, I was fed entire meals worse than this during basic training." Kimura said to the young princess after being forced to lay down to address her. His voice was less shaky now, but the atmosphere coming from everyone else in the room hadn't seemed to have lifted any.

---

Seeing they had clearly lost the famed captain, the men turned their attention to the new, less boisterous girl. The "famed bettor" taking the helm.

"I don't see why not," the apparent leader of the group said with a shrug. "we are very welcoming to outsiders after all."

---

If Oniwakamaru was looking for work, he was sure to find it. Things tended to need getting done in slow villages like this one. A roof's missing tile, a dwindling reserve of firewood: there was always a house or business in need. That being said, the evening hours were growing long, and "nightime" had already fallen for most of the village's inhabitants. There were a few exceptions, of course. The blacksmith, for example, was up late. Despite the distinct lack of beasts of burden in the village - equine or otherwise - he was busily crafting simple surpluses like nails and horseshoes. It was a strange thing, really.

---

OoC: Chouko and Heiwa are welcome to carry on.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:53 pm

"Oh... It looks like I chased your guest off. Please forgive me." Hitomi apologized, bowing once again. Nevertheless, she took a seat. Once she had settled, her hands began to move swiftly below the table. With her right hand, she reached into the sleeve of her left and made a single, quick stroke with her relic, completing the character she had started before. [運 - Luck] The paper began to dissolve as she slipped the brush back into her satchel, leaving no evidence of her subterfuge. The act had taken all of two seconds.

"So, what are we playing?"

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Waifu: I'm married
She smiled and placed her hands on the bed. "If there's anything I can do, let me know. It's my fault you're like this anyway." The dragon crawled down her arm onto the bed.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 pm
YIM WWW
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
As fleet as her feet were, the Haridan girl’s wits were maddeningly slow. Oshiro had instructed the company to lay as low as possible, which was decidedly not what Sasaki-chan was doing.

Yoko had been keeping a careful eye on the group’s youngest girls since they had arrived in town: as had been made abundantly clear over the course of their short time together, neither of the youths had any idea of how to properly comport themselves in public. The group’s calligrapher was obviously far too busy being her conceited self to spare any time in edifying her juniors, so whether anyone liked it or not, it fell on Yoko to ensure that the girls wouldn’t disgrace their honorable company. She expected the fiery princess to cause the most trouble on arriving in town, but was both surprised and relieved to see the young girl offer to tend to the wounded soldier that had apparently saved her life. Quickly diverting her attention to the Haridan, Yoko was barely able to huff and puff her way over to the bar Chouko had disappeared off to before the girl was giving an unfathomably rude speech.

It was worse than any ruckus the mountain-princess could have caused. This was a thousand, nay, ten-thousand times worse. It was bad enough that Chouko was causing a scene, but now, now, she had the audacity, the nerve, to go so far as to desecrate rice-eating competitions themselves! This wouldn’t stand. It couldn’t stand! It was one thing stand on a table and disturb an entire establishment’s worth of patrons, but it was entirely another to dishonour a sacred tradition that had been kept for thousands of years. Rice eating competitions were not to use onigiri, they were to be strictly measured in bowls of tamago kake: the golden color of the dish represented the excellence of the competition, and the raw nature of the egg represented the unbridled passion with which the competitors were expected to honour each other. How a girl of Sasaki-chan’s age could dare to confuse such a time-honoured tradition with lowly dried seaweed was simply unacceptable.

“Stop! Stop this at once you Haridan fool!” Yoko called with all the firmness she could muster in her out-of-breath state, panting as her slouched figure walking-staffed its way up to the girl’s table. “You can disobey Oshiro’s orders all you like, but I’ll be dead before I let you stuff your face with omosubi in a sorry excuse for an honorable match!”

The flautist noticed the other woman at the table, gave her a quick once-over, then promptly resumed her outburst.

“You apologize to this honorable woman this instant, and you sit yourself down and wash your hands before eating, and most of all you make sure you’re eating real tamago kake gohan!”

With all the immovability of an oak tree soaked in molasses, Yoko plopped herself down at the table and crossed her arms disapprovingly.

“...and don’t you think for a second that I won’t make you follow all the rules!”

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:01 am

It was only base pleasantries as the men made space and explained the game like somehow Hitomi had never heard of it before. However if overconfidence had an odor, the "famed better" would have quickly began to reek as the game began proper. Staring at him as he judged his calls, one might even believe somehow he had developed skill in this game of luck, maintaining his composure even with the other rambunctious out-of-towners and with his losing streak growing... At least for a time.

"Aaawa! How are you doing so well at this? I've never seen a winning streak so long! Please tell me your secret!" This sudden outburst came somewhere around the tenth bet, with the man assuming a full bow across the whole table.

---

As the small dragon approached, Umiko's free scarf-arm snapped at it. "Hey now, none of that, we don't need that beast digging his claws in where they don't belong. Now scurry off and let the man rest. Your concern has been noted."

"Don't be that way Ryuujin-sama," the soldier said once again coming to the young princess's aid. "A smiling heart does a wounded one a lot more good than a cold one does. No offense, I mean, I didn't mean you!" His sudden defense was punctuated with a series of meaty coughs.

Like clockwork, however, the next speakers arrived, Oshiro and the inn keeper, the latter with cold water and a rag to replace Umiko, the former with a request. "Men, please stay here and aid Kimura anyway you can. Ryuujin-san, Dai Hitto-hime, may I have a word with you two outside?" He left the door open for the two ladies to proceed first.

---

OoC: Chouko and Heiwa are still welcome to continue. Looking for Oniwakamaru, Hideki, and Kaguya posts.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Hitomi made her best effort not to look bored as the dice were rolled again and again, each participant guessing whether the result would be even or odd. What a dull game. No, it wasn't even a game. She would compare this exercise in futility to sansukumi-ken, but even that had an element of strategy. The calligrapher supposed she should be grateful since, being as this was a purely luck-based game, the effect of her kanji all but guaranteed victory. Still, it wasn't as exciting when there wasn't even the slightest possibility of being accused of cheating.

"Aaawa!" Hitomi jumped as her opponent cried out. "How are you doing so well at this? Ive never seen a winning streak so long! Please tell me your secret!"

The young woman was completely taken aback. Nobody could possibly be this ignorant. As if there could be a secret to guessing a coin flip. Absolutely prepos- oh. Right. Well, perhaps he was correct in this instance, but his thinking was still flawed. "N-no, I'm nothing special. It's simple prob-... I just got lucky. If you play Chō-Han a thousand times, something like this is bound to happen once or twice." Reluctantly, she reached out and rested a consolatory hand on the man's shoulder. "I think we'd better stop now. Maybe you should learn a more skill-based game. That way, you'd have more control over the outcome." Hitomi gave a reassuring smile that belied the intense discomfort she felt. She needed to take her winnings and get out while the going was still good. Looking around to see how Chouko's exploits were proceeding, she was quite relieved to see that Yoko had arrived on the scene. Certainly, the old woman would make sure that ditz didn't do anything too crazy.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
“Well well, Captain Yoki. Come to measure yourself against Harida’s number one rice eater, huh?”

Chouko sat down, eager to begin the contest. She hadn’t expected this particular fish to bite, but her stomach had no scruples against taking on a less worthy foe. With the energy she expended on a daily basis, Harida’s number one messenger could out-eat most men, nevermind your average strangely-dressed woman. Her meal was all but paid for.

Until Oba-san came storming in like the autumn rain. Oh boy. She did not look pleased, not one bit. The pint-sized dealer of discipline strode menacingly across the parlor, her brows furrowed deeply enough to hold chopsticks. For all her furor, however, she was angry about… Chouko not following the proper rules of rice-eating competitions? What a relief! And here she had thought that Oba-san would be mad about the means by which he was obtaining her snack. It was nice to know that everyone was on board.

As their new referee took a seat and the host delivered the bowls of miso soup that would whet their appetites for the trial to come, Chouko took a moment to study her rival. The woman seated across from her was sullen, but in possession of a most extreme confidence. She would have to be, to wear such a silly-looking hat in public! This was the type of person against whom the veteran’s gambit would work wonders. Chouko would start out deliberately slowly. Captain Yoki would win the soup round, perhaps even start her second bowl of rice before Chouko had hers. Let her confidence build up. That was the key. And when the stage was set… the poor captain would never know what had hit her.

It was time. Yoko readied the contestants. Chouko’s fingers tensed, prepared to snatch the spoon from the table with lightning speed. There was the signal, and… BAM!

Chouko howled in pain as her fingers struck the hard surface of the table, her spoon nowhere to be found. Correction. There it was, directly to the right of where she had inadvertently tried her hand at finger-style wood splitting. Had it… moved? No, impossible. She glanced up. Heiwa had already taken a second spoonful. Quickly! She couldn’t afford to give an unfamiliar opponent too much leeway! As she steeled herself for the subtle change in strategy that would be required as a result of this fumble, Chouko’s hand darted for the spoon once more, her eyes locked to the captain’s, and-

“iiiiiitttAAAAAIIIIII!!!”

Chouko screamed again as her fingers massacred themselves anew on the table’s surface, the ever-elusive spoon just to the right of where she had meant to take hold of it. Uncanny… She was certain that the host had placed it to the left of that weird stain. What was going on? Spoons didn’t move on their own, that was against the fundamental laws of spoons! Was she losing her edge? She had no reason to be nervous; her competition couldn’t possibly hope to beat her. Rice eating was her domain! But not being able to do something so simple as grab the spoon? How embarrassing!

Slow down,” Chouko reassured herself. The captain was already halfway through the bowl, but she could still catch up. She would. She had to. Shikame’s number one dish washer was one title that she didn’t want.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Currently Playing: animal f*** crossing,
Hideki didn't bother looking after the girls as they rushed away. Really, it was for the best. He'd come here looking for solitude, and would rather not have them hanging around.

He wasn't the kind of person to be very devout, but he wasn't exactly faithless either. It surprised him to see the shrine in such a sad state. Clearly it wasn't abandoned entirely, and in the current situation, he would've expected people to take care of the shrine in the hopes it would encourage the sun's return.

Hideki thought for a moment, then knelt down before the shrine to pray. It couldn't hurt, he supposed. After a quick prayer, he stood, brushing the dust off of his legs, and enjoyed the peace and quiet surrounding the shrines for another few minutes. Hunger was beginning to creep in at the edge of his awareness; with some reluctance, he turned and made his way back to the inn in search of a meal.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Mocharatte looked distraught. For a group of elders, they seemed extremely critical towards a thirteen year old. She smiled with relief when Kimura spoke up for her. She was about to speak, but Oshiro arrived and requested to speak with her outside first. She nodded dutifully and waited outside.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 pm
YIM WWW

MGN Username: Yoshiblaze
Currently Playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, Kid Icarus: Uprising
OoC: Well, this is overdue, isn't it? First post, point out continuity issues and stuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ishida drifted through the blackness of the ni- midday like a leaf in the breeze, slowly and lifelessly. On and on, as light as a feather, Ishida strode on the side of the rode, heading for home after getting a great deal on rice from the market. If only he cared enough to appreciate it. Ishida moved in the darkness like a specter, barely even visible despite his bright skin. He was walking quite fast despite the fact that nothing was waiting for him at home. Nothing was usually, or he'd know about it.

Hmm, another day, another hoard of aimless wanderers in this black abyss Ishida said to himself, looking at all of the people walking by him on the road. What could they possibly be doing at this time of day?.. Or night? Ever since the sun disappeared, Ishida's sleeping schedule was thrown for a loop, causing him to constantly not know what time it is. He awoke when he felt like waking up and went to sleep when he was tired, and he was tired a lot nowadays. Tired of being annoyed by other people.

A Ishida walked on, he passed the bar and stopped. Nobody really noticed him stopping suddenly. Nobody could see him very well, Ah, the bar. Where you could permanently poison your mind and body all for one effect that doesn't even last long. Ishida thought. Ishida both hated and loved the bar. The idea of intentionally putting such a destructive substance as alcohol into your body just for a dumb feeling made him sick to his stomach. Why must humans be so reckless? And many wonder why their loved ones die young. At the same time, he loved the bar. As a medic, incidents from within this place gave him a lot of business, though he felt a little guilty. Guilty of helping people who set themselves up for disaster. Why should they be helped? But alas, business is business and refusing to treat someone involves others getting frustrated and lots of needless arguing. Well, if any incidents happen tonight... or today and I'm on the scene, I can receive payment right away and buy more rice... Yeah, that's a good plan. Ishida figured the mess and idiocy of the drunk would be worth it for the money. Today's rice was very high quality, he had to admit. Ishida glanced at the gauntlet on his left hand and walked into the bar.

Sm4sh Main: :pit:
Brawl Main: :kirby:
Melee Main: Image
Fav Video Game Character: :yoshi:

Click to expand thumbnail

Thunder Edge Staff Member: Head Tournament Organizer (when Thunder Edge existed)

Last edited by Yoshiblaze on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Mocharatte watched the man enter the bar, knowing it was ridiculous, in retrospect. She couldn't see any burlap sacks around, and so she remained silent for a time before singing songs of sweet sorrow.

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 am
YIM WWW

Currently Playing: Skyrim,Warframe, and League Of Lag
As Chouko struggled with the table and the spoon Heiwa took her time and spoke in between mouthfuls. "So I didn't know that a fun game such as this had rules.. Nevertheless I'd rather do it our way. Then no matter who wins at least we'll have fun doing it." Heiwa couldn't help but crack a smile at the girl's struggles. She quickly recomposed herself.

"Come on how can you expect to win if you can't even pick up that spoon. You know what? Let me help you." Heiwa grabbed the spoon, after setting down her own, and handed it to Chouko. Heiwa picked up her spoon again only to see the young girl scarfing down the soup. Heiwa quickly grabbed the bowl and began to drink the soup. Shortly after the two bowls hit the table at the same time.

"Nicely done." Heiwa was impressed at how fast Chouko was. Before they continued Heiwa had a question. "So did I hear you mention Oshiro?"

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 pm
 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next