The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm

[ 3 posts ] 
The effect of port priority on gameplay 

What do you think should be done about priority and clashing?
The current system is fine. No changes needed 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
The system could use a damage threshold, clink when within and outprioritze when without. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
The system could use a damage threshold, trade hits when within and outprioritize. 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Always trade hits regardless of damage. 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Always clink regardless of damage. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Change the winner to P2, so the person who picks the game type and stage has some sort of disadvantage. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other solution/fix 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

The effect of port priority on gameplay 

MGN Username: warriorman222
Currently Playing: SSBB, SSF2, COD Ghosts, Pokemon Y
EDIT: To make this post a bit more productive, i'll suggest two(4, but 2 useful) things you can do if you don't main a swordie like Llyod, Sora, Marth, Ichigo who can all ignore this for the most part, even Chibi Robo skirts this:
1. Figure out which moves of yours have inflated hitboxes and try to abuse them to react to the the 360 coverage pseudo-disjoints( Goku's smashses, BM fair and bair
2. figure out what moves your character has with 3~5 or less frames of startup to outspeed the pseudo-disjoints(BM nair is F1, Falcon's nair, Goku's nair, Tails' aerials, basically every sex kick) mainly because these are all the best abusers and can out-cheese the nair spam in
3. Make your own room and turn the Tails MU into a fever dream and make the Sonic/Luffy MUs actually take effort to beat
4. Pray they pick Luffy or Kirby whose priority are so bad they can't even make use of this

Okay this isn't tourney exclusive, hell it's more applicable to online than it would be there despite higher skill due to the constant latency. If what I say is factually incorrect I will delete this post without complaint.

tldr there's no clashing P1 attack beat P2 attacks. What should be done about this, if anything?

In the main games, when two hitboxes collide, the game compares the damage and cancels them out (clink) if they are within 8% and the higher damage cancels out the lower damage if the difference is 9% or more. So for those who don't know, clinking moves for the most part doesn't seem to exist (A dev correct me if I say anything false), player 1 beats player 2 if they both collide at the same time. P2's Falcon Punch can get beat out by the Kaio-Ken Aura, and that turn a hard read kill into 80% chaingrab + likely throw gimp (or 0-rekt on 3DS aaaaah). Tails/Goku vs *insert skintight hitboxes or spacie here* is a complete nightmare if Tails is in slot 1, because there are so few ways to get past a halfway decently space fair/nair repsectively which can easily convert into a string. Fox can reliably recover vs Falco and Tails spikes if he's Player 1, and Marth doesn't care about any of this lol fair spam beats nair spam any day of the week

As a personal experience, I just had 2 back-to-back matches vs a Sonic, once as Luffy and again as Goku and then Ichigo. As Luffy, despite winning by the skin of my teeth, I died 3/4 times getting strung/juggled to death by homing Attack because nothing I did in the air could stop it from racking over 100% on me (I tried and supposedly landed every aerial, every grab, and dspec, and the one time dspec worked on time he just floated back towards me and faired me through my uair), and when I (foolishly) switched to Goku, I could probably point out 100 instances where moves could have traded but just didn't, about 10 of which were in my favor (All dsmash and usmash, if you're ever joining a room as Goku you can skimp the above vs non-disjoint enemies because deceptive hitboxes). Then I picked Ichigo and all in the world was well after that.

I literally challenged the guy to a rematch a few minutes later, made the room and picked Goku, threw out random reactionary nairs and uairs and stuffed roughly 30 homing attacks without fail. He literally couldn't do more than 30% to me before getting 4-stocked because of the oh-so clear advantage my hitboxes had over his.

I don't know how many people actually knew of this, but I wanted to hear other peoples' opinions on this, as well as solutions if any are needed. And for those you don't know, now your eyes are opened as to why DK's 60% kill combo starter beats every move in your kit including smash attacks, even when you

Secondaries: :luigi: :ichigo: :bowser:

Pockets: :bandanadee: :isaac: :Pichu

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
We are fully aware of the competitive issues that occur with the way port priority affects the game right now. Tson and I had a session at Smash Con where I was completely incapable of edgeguarding his Pichu because of port priority on the upB, and we both acknowledged what was going on.

And before you point out that smash con was months ago, fixes come when they come.

But to actually provide something useful to the thread, AFAIK we will be using the same system that the main games use, where grounded moves clank if the hitboxes overlap and are within 8 percent of each other and the weaker one will be outprioritized if the percent difference is greater than 8, and midair attacks will never clank (they will behave on pure priority).

Imo no poll is needed unless you are wondering in earnest what public opinion is on what should be done, but I think the answer is pretty obvious if the question is seriously considered.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:02 am

MGN Username: warriorman222
Currently Playing: SSBB, SSF2, COD Ghosts, Pokemon Y
The poll is there because most people I saw wanted trading hits, yet I didn't know if they mean trading as in one person takes a falcon punch and the other takes 2% from Kaio Ken Aura, or both moves just stop instantly), or clinking (I meant both moves just stopping instantly, as in both moves get outprioritized instead of one). Also I saw a few people somewhere saying it was fine, but I can't find them so maybe they changed their minds or something.

Also it kind of instilled a sort of "ignorance is bliss" moment in me; I honestly almost wish I still thought it was me being too slow or making too much use of poor hitboxes and when i tried to just bait out moves instead of realizing that it was the game and making my own room to become part of the problem, or picking Ichigo to become part of another problem... I feel knowing about the "mechanic" made me worse as a player rather than better as it should. But maybe that's just me.

That being said, what do you do about it if anything? I can hardly imagine playing as some characters knowing what exactly led to you getting 0-deathed by that DK or Goku.

Secondaries: :luigi: :ichigo: :bowser:

Pockets: :bandanadee: :isaac: :Pichu

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 pm
 [ 3 posts ]