The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:30 pm

[ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 54  Next
Sonic 
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
ZERO_OR wrote:
WelfareWednesday wrote:
I don't see why balancing super sonic is even important lol.

And honestly I have more fun with ssf2 sonic than I do PM

I feel the same way.

I prefer his voice clips from Brawl than Smash 4.

I do think Sonic's recovery should be buffed. I also think his damage output should be increased by a little.

His recovery is already really good imo, you can make it back from miles away. And he has a lot of guaranteed 2-3 hit combos to rack up damage.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:23 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, SSB, SSBM
Jammy wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
WelfareWednesday wrote:

I feel the same way.

I do think Sonic's recovery should be buffed. I also think his damage output should be increased by a little.

His recovery is already really good imo, you can make it back from miles away. And he has a lot of guaranteed 2-3 hit combos to rack up damage.

Not really. When you use homing attack someone needs to be near the ledge for you to home near there and sends you to far down most of the time for spring jump to be useful. Also it's a problem when your not turned around and you end up hitting the blast zone.

The devs were on the right track by making Light Dash go in the direction that it does now, but messed it all up by shortening the distance and putting Sonic in a helpless state. Than not having anything to compensate for it like increasing the height you get from performing Spring Jump or increasing Sonic's air speed. I have always been a Sonic main in the main games and in this game so this really gets me.

For one Sonic is suppose to have good air speed to go with his mobility. I have noticed his air speed was low and Phoenix Wright confirmed it when he gave me the results from his air speed test.

Two, Sonic is designed to have a good recovery in mind because that's how he was designed.

Three Sonic was never designed to go into a helpless state, but the devs made him go into it anyway. Yeah you guys can say, but Sonic goes into a helpless state in PM. However, PM is not a an official Smash title and you only go into a helpless state when you air dodge like every other character.

I know about Light Dash being a game breaker by it covering a lot of distance and making Sonic I guess broken. However, that's how Light Dash is in the Sonic games, it's suppose to send you far.

Really? What guaranteed combos does he have?

I also wish they would have given him more KO power in his attacks as well.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:55 am

MGN Username: ShadowYoshi360
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Pokemon Moon, SSB4, Mario Kart 7
Waifu: Makoto (Blazblue)
ZERO_OR wrote:
Jammy wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
WelfareWednesday wrote:

I feel the same way.

Not really. When you use homing attack someone needs to be near the ledge for you to home near there and sends you to far down most of the time for spring jump to be useful. Also it's a problem when your not turned around and you end up hitting the blast zone.

The devs were on the right track by making Light Dash go in the direction that it does now, but messed it all up by shortening the distance and putting Sonic in a helpless state. Than not having anything to compensate for it like increasing the height you get from performing Spring Jump or increasing Sonic's air speed. I have always been a Sonic main in the main games and in this game so this really gets me.

For one Sonic is suppose to have good air speed to go with his mobility. I have noticed his air speed was low and Phoenix Wright confirmed it when he gave me the results from his air speed test.

Two, Sonic is designed to have a good recovery in mind because that's how he was designed.

Three Sonic was never designed to go into a helpless state, but the devs made him go into it anyway. Yeah you guys can say, but Sonic goes into a helpless state in PM. However, PM is not a an official Smash title and you only go into a helpless state when you air dodge like every other character.

I know about Light Dash being a game breaker by it covering a lot of distance and making Sonic I guess broken. However, that's how Light Dash is in the Sonic games, it's suppose to send you far.

I agree with this. Light Speed Dash should either go a bit farther or not put Sonic in a helpless state. This is the worst recovery that Sonic's ever had (although it's really not that bad tbh).

Sonic's combo game is a bit lacking in SSF2 right now, at least compared to some other characters. The combos are there, but most of them are very percent-specific. Up throw combos into n-air and u-air depending on the percentage and Spin Dash combos into various aerials depending on the trajectory and the percentage, but apart from that there is little else. D-tilt may combo into itself, f-tilt and f-smash, though I'm not sure if some of those are guaranteed.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Jaguar3600 wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
Jammy wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
WelfareWednesday wrote:

I feel the same way.

I agree with this. Light Speed Dash should either go a bit farther or not put Sonic in a helpless state. This is the worst recovery that Sonic's ever had (although it's really not that bad tbh).

Sonic's combo game is a bit lacking in SSF2 right now, at least compared to some other characters. The combos are there, but most of them are very percent-specific. Up throw combos into n-air and u-air depending on the percentage and Spin Dash combos into various aerials depending on the trajectory and the percentage, but apart from that there is little else. D-tilt may combo into itself, f-tilt and f-smash, though I'm not sure if some of those are guaranteed.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Yeah about those combos I know about d-tilt into f-tilt, but its not really something. I haven't been able to win a match with Sonic once this demo or if I have then I forgot about it.

Also another thing that's funny about this is that Pikachu also had a great recovery last demo and was also in S-tier, but its recovery wasn't really that nerfed.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:41 pm
BR Member

ZERO_OR wrote:
Not really. When you use homing attack someone needs to be near the ledge for you to home near there and sends you to far down most of the time for spring jump to be useful. You just arent using it right, the horizontal distance you can get from the move far outweighs the drop in vertical distanceAlso it's a problem when your not turned around and you end up hitting the blast zone. If you somehow end up turned the wrong direction when you are trying to recover you have done something VERY wrong

The devs were on the right track by making Light Dash go in the direction that it does now, but messed it all up by shortening the distance and putting Sonic in a helpless state. Than not having anything to compensate for it like increasing the height you get from performing Spring Jump or increasing Sonic's air speed. I have always been a Sonic main in the main games and in this game so this really gets me. You shouldnt really be using this in a situation where you would get hit after using it. Personally I mainly use it to sweetspot the ledge, which it is really good at. Up B is great by itself (minus the bug)

Why is he SUPPOSED to have high air speed. Last I checked Sonic was good at running, not flying around everywhere
Do you realize that "because thats how he was designed" isnt a reason for it to be designed like that? The redundancy is real.
Three Sonic was never designed to go into a helpless state, but the devs made him go into it anyway. Yeah you guys can say, but Sonic goes into a helpless state in PM. However, PM is not a an official Smash title and you only go into a helpless state when you air dodge like every other character. Bruh this isnt an offical smash game either in case you havent noticed. Last I checked, Light Dash isnt even in the official Smash games in the first place, so it REALLY doesn't apply.
I know about Light Dash being a game breaker by it covering a lot of distance and making Sonic I guess broken. However, that's how Light Dash is in the Sonic games, it's suppose to send you far. BRUH THIS ISNT A SONIC GAME. You cant possibly justify why its OK to have a broken move.

Really? What guaranteed combos does he have? Are you sure you main Sonic? Combos are freakin everywhere and they arent exactly hard.

I also wish they would have given him more KO power in his attacks as well. He actually isnt very weak, although honestly I do think Nair should have a highish knockback sweetspot

Just to make sure, you do know you can change Light Dash's angle right? That move is far from bad for recovery.

And besides the mentioned arguements for Homing Attack (the distance) the move can also completely destroy a potential edge guard, along with being chargeable to both mess with timing AND increase distance.

The only change I'd like to see recovery wise is Light Dash's sweetspot having better priority, hell I even think the move needs landing lag.

EDIT Actually I can see Sonic's Homing Attack bouncing off of walls... in exchange for not bouncing nearly as high as he does now when he hits a surface

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:32 pm
SSF2 Developer

You can combo U-Throw to U-Air for scoring the KO. On the average character you can do it from around 80 to 100%, but won't KO some at 80%. The trick is NOT to jump, but to use only Up-B for height. It might not seem like you can do it, but Sonic's U Air has a lot of range.

Also, no one thinks he is S-Tier?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 pm

WelfareWednesday wrote:
ZERO_OR wrote:
Not really. When you use homing attack someone needs to be near the ledge for you to home near there and sends you to far down most of the time for spring jump to be useful. You just arent using it right, the horizontal distance you can get from the move far outweighs the drop in vertical distanceAlso it's a problem when your not turned around and you end up hitting the blast zone. If you somehow end up turned the wrong direction when you are trying to recover you have done something VERY wrong

The devs were on the right track by making Light Dash go in the direction that it does now, but messed it all up by shortening the distance and putting Sonic in a helpless state. Than not having anything to compensate for it like increasing the height you get from performing Spring Jump or increasing Sonic's air speed. I have always been a Sonic main in the main games and in this game so this really gets me. You shouldnt really be using this in a situation where you would get hit after using it. Personally I mainly use it to sweetspot the ledge, which it is really good at. Up B is great by itself (minus the bug)

Why is he SUPPOSED to have high air speed. Last I checked Sonic was good at running, not flying around everywhere
Do you realize that "because thats how he was designed" isnt a reason for it to be designed like that? The redundancy is real.
Three Sonic was never designed to go into a helpless state, but the devs made him go into it anyway. Yeah you guys can say, but Sonic goes into a helpless state in PM. However, PM is not a an official Smash title and you only go into a helpless state when you air dodge like every other character. Bruh this isnt an offical smash game either in case you havent noticed. Last I checked, Light Dash isnt even in the official Smash games in the first place, so it REALLY doesn't apply.
I know about Light Dash being a game breaker by it covering a lot of distance and making Sonic I guess broken. However, that's how Light Dash is in the Sonic games, it's suppose to send you far. BRUH THIS ISNT A SONIC GAME. You cant possibly justify why its OK to have a broken move.

Really? What guaranteed combos does he have? Are you sure you main Sonic? Combos are freakin everywhere and they arent exactly hard.

I also wish they would have given him more KO power in his attacks as well. He actually isnt very weak, although honestly I do think Nair should have a highish knockback sweetspot

Just to make sure, you do know you can change Light Dash's angle right? That move is far from bad for recovery.

And besides the mentioned arguements for Homing Attack (the distance) the move can also completely destroy a potential edge guard, along with being chargeable to both mess with timing AND increase distance.

The only change I'd like to see recovery wise is Light Dash's sweetspot having better priority, hell I even think the move needs landing lag.

EDIT Actually I can see Sonic's Homing Attack bouncing off of walls... in exchange for not bouncing nearly as high as he does now when he hits a surface

Really are you sure about that? I have been playing Sonic for a while now.

Yeah I try to do that as well, but sometimes when you go to low for you to be able to sweet spot the ledge.

[/u] Why is he SUPPOSED to have high air speed. Last I checked Sonic was good at running, not flying around everywhere
Hmmmmm well when you take that into account the same could be said for a lot of characters with good air speed such as DK, Falcon(who shouldn't even be a good runner as well since he is a driver), Peach and Wario.

Really? So if Kirby were to lose his great recovery than you wouldn't complain. Kirby was also designed to have a great recovery, but if the devs took that away than what would you say?

Bruh this isnt an offical smash game either in case you havent noticed. Last I checked, Light Dash isnt even in the official Smash games in the first place, so it REALLY doesn't apply.
I know its not and where did I put that I said it was a official title?
Because they took Spin Charge out which was a good recovery move. So shouldn't Light Dash be a good recovery move to replace that?

BRUH THIS ISNT A SONIC GAME. You cant possibly justify why its OK to have a broken move.
Broken?
lol the same thing could be said for Samus's bombs that made her broken at one point. What made the move to be considered broken was that the transcendent priority and invincibility frames in the move could be used in a short hop to keep knocking the opponent down.
Also another thing if you didn't read what I said "The devs were on the right track by making Light Dash go in the direction that it does now, but messed it all up by shortening the distance and putting Sonic in a helpless state." My apologies if you couldn't even read that part, but here read it again.
Edit:Well they should have had him go a little be further.

Are you sure you main Sonic? Combos are freakin everywhere and they arent exactly hard.
Well I guess your a Sonic expert now and an expert on everyone now aren't you.
Yeah Sonic has a great combo game. :colonthree:
Yes I am a Sonic main and I know what I'm talking about or its just the hitstun now in this demo and I'm not playing enough Sonic.

He actually isnt very weak, although honestly I do think Nair should have a highish knockback sweetspot
I never said he was weak, but I thought he could use a little more kill power in his move set.

Edit: Also last thing don't call me BRUH. We're not cool like that.

Mhmmmm just tried it and I got sent the same angle every time. Yeah sure its not.
swyft the hedgedog wrote:
You can combo U-Throw to U-Air for scoring the KO. On the average character you can do it from around 80 to 100%, but won't KO some at 80%. The trick is NOT to jump, but to use only Up-B for height. It might not seem like you can do it, but Sonic's U Air has a lot of range.

Also, no one thinks he is S-Tier?

I know what his combos are, but I ask if his moves could do a little more damagee.

Also do you really think that works on someone with good D.I.?

Nope not this demo.

Edit:Playing Sonic more now, but I still feel justified in what I said.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:45 pm
SSF2 Developer

What tier do you think he is?

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:49 am

swyft the hedgedog wrote:
What tier do you think he is?

I would probably say he is B tier or in A/B/C tier if the BR decides to do the tier list like they did last demo.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:50 am

MGN Username: ShadowYoshi360
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Pokemon Moon, SSB4, Mario Kart 7
Waifu: Makoto (Blazblue)
Compared to the other characters, sonic seems mid-low tier in 0.9b, but still very viable since this version seems to be pretty balanced as a whole. Aside from his ground speed, Spring Jump and Spin Dash, most of what Sonic has to offer is pretty average. He's not quite as scary as Sheik, Meta Knight, Fox, Marth, Lloyd, Captain Falcon or Pikachu for instance, but still solid.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Jaguar3600 wrote:
Compared to the other characters, sonic seems mid-low tier in 0.9b, but still very viable since this version seems to be pretty balanced as a whole. Aside from his ground speed, Spring Jump and Spin Dash, most of what Sonic has to offer is pretty average. He's not quite as scary as Sheik, Meta Knight, Fox, Marth, Lloyd, Captain Falcon or Pikachu for instance, but still solid.

I agree with this.

I just said give him a little touch ups and everybody goes into a fit.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Miracle--7
Waifu: Not a weeb so N/A
First of all, his recovery is great, what the hell are you talking about? Second of all you state that somebody has to be near the ledge for homing attack to work correctly. No they don't. Lets say a Marth fsmashes you in 3ds and you go off the stage. If you homing attack you go to the stage and can still use UpB OR SideB to recover. Third, if you know how to space properly the sweet spot of the SideB has ALOT of knockback, and it kills rather early as well. Its good that Sonic is helpless after using it. The only tweak they could make to the SideB is maybe making the sweet spot bigger and make the sweet spot priority really high. Other than that Sonic is fine.

EDIT: Except Spring Bug. TSON get rid of that now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJN2bI ... U4T8VXpgvA
My Youtube channel :D

Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Miracle--7 wrote:
First of all, his recovery is great, what the hell are you talking about? Second of all you state that somebody has to be near the ledge for homing attack to work correctly. No they don't. Lets say a Marth fsmashes you in 3ds and you go off the stage. If you homing attack you go to the stage and can still use UpB OR SideB to recover. Third, if you know how to space properly the sweet spot of the SideB has ALOT of knockback, and it kills rather early as well. Its good that Sonic is helpless after using it. The only tweak they could make to the SideB is maybe making the sweet spot bigger and make the sweet spot priority really high. Other than that Sonic is fine.

Sure its amazing.

I meant when you are trying to recover high with Homing Attack.

Dude I haven't got any kills with it at all yet.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:54 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Miracle--7 wrote:

what

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 pm

[TSON] wrote:
Miracle--7 wrote:

what

He wants you to get rid of the spring bug where Sonic can't use spring anymore after he uses it and gets hit. I think you already know what he is talking about, but just to clarify what it was.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 pm
 [ 808 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 54  Next