The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:53 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
Is Sm4sh dead? 

Is Smash for Wii U and 3DS dead?
Poll ended at Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm
Yes, it's been dead for a while. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
In light of recent events, it certainly is. 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
I think it will survive as a classic, like Melee. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not yet, but very soon. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, but the fanbase is faltering. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, it still has a solid fanbase. 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

Is Sm4sh dead? 

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
Remember, we're talking about Sm4sh, as in the wii U and 3DS ports, not SSF2.

I think Sm4sh is dead because you don't see as much activity around it on Youtube or other places anymore. Tournaments aren't as common, and the footage doesn't generate any hype or reactions from the crowd. We don't hear a lot of people talk about champions like TSM Zero or Ally anymore, and lately even they have been getting wrecked in tournaments by bayo mains.
There's also no more excitement behind exploration and discovery of new techs or strats. We've pretty much figured out that Bayo is the undisputed champion of the tier list with Cloud and Diddy Kong tailing behind as counterpick characters. Even tournaments that are famous for featuring low tier champions are being dominated by the Bayo meta. The most recent patch tried to nerf Bayonetta, but she's still at the top of the tier list.
Some of our favorite Sm4sh youtubers, namely Alpharad, Lythero, and WeeGee plays, have talked less about Sm4sh, and lately have gone to discuss other games. Introspektive is still hanging on, but he's dull and won't be much help to the fanbase. Pretty much the only hope for the Sm4sh fanbase is Izaw, but I doubt he really has the content the demographic of Sm4sh looks for.
We'll pretty much have to hope that Sm4sh gets a following similar to Melee, where there are fans devoted to the game even 15 years later, but seeing how a lot of people don't appreciate how Sm4sh runs slowly in comparison to Melee, that's not likely to happen.
Just now I played online and hosted a room called "Sm4sh is dead" and I got significantly more requests to join than I normally get when I name the room something like "1v1 NA West". This tells me that there is already a consensus that Sm4sh is losing steam and may very well be lost from the hearts of the SSB community.

So I ask you, with tears rolling down my cheeks, do you think Sm4sh is dead? :cry:

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:20 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
not the right section for this friend, this is the ssf2 section. but no, it isn't - the tournament we're going to be at over the next few days is one of the biggest smash 4 tournaments to date lol

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:43 pm

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
tson wrote:
not the right section for this friend, this is the ssf2 section. but no, it isn't - the tournament we're going to be at over the next few days is one of the biggest smash 4 tournaments to date lol

Where else should I put this poll?
I put it here because I was pretty sure the most people who are active in the smash community visit this section.

Anyway, Thanks for your input TSON. But I'd like to know if the tournament you're going to feels hype. Does the crowd shout when a player performs a combo that is not well known? Are there any low tier mains? Do people perk up for reasons other than a famous player going up to the console? Does someone who doesn't main Bayo or Cloud win, and how does everyone feel about that?

I just feel like everyone's getting tired of Sm4sh, like it's not cool anymore.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
no one gets hype for unknown combos bc combos are flowcharts in smash 4 for the most part lol

anyway this would be the correct section
https://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=18

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 pm
 [ 4 posts ]