The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
Donkey Kong 
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
It's pretty character-specific. Characters with spikes generally do better. MK can dair or nair for pwnage. Any projectile with the right trajectory or disjoint will also work (bombs, Super Arm, fireballs, ki blasts, turnips, ...). There are some characters who don't have a good projectile, spike or good aerial, or good disjoint. Then, you pretty much have to attack DK as he comes out of the move: the timing makes it hard, but most characters can deal with it.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:28 pm

MGN Username: Shine!
Currently Playing: Minecraft Bedrock & Roblox
Waifu: All guys from Free!
DK's recovery is easy to gimp. Anyone with a DAir Meteor Smash can gimp him. The hitbox on his head and feet are still there. And while he can move left or right to try and avoid it, it's not like spinning kong lasts that long. If DK is trying to recover from under stage/bottom blastline he can't sacrifice any vertical distance. His recovery is amazing yes, top 5. But like everything he has limits.

Also Peach is the best at gimping DK. 1 turnip can kill a DK.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 pm
YIM

Shine! wrote:
DK's recovery is easy to gimp. Anyone with a DAir Meteor Smash can gimp him. The hitbox on his head and feet are still there. And while he can move left or right to try and avoid it, it's not like spinning kong lasts that long. If DK is trying to recover from under stage/bottom blastline he can't sacrifice any vertical distance. His recovery is amazing yes, top 5. But like everything he has limits.

Also Peach is the best at gimping DK. 1 turnip can kill a DK.

1 turnip usually won't do it, because they can upB again and the turnip won't be active anymore. You'll usually need two turnips to guarantee that edgeguard. Or you can d-tilt his hurtbox which works well when DK recovers from vertical rather than horizontal. It creates a moment where his arms actually go on stage, so Peach can d-tilt from a relatively safe range.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 pm

MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
Since I'm only seeing one negative review I'll post my concerns as well. Everything about DK is fine, attacks and all, but the vertical height of his upb is too high. It goes about at high as Tails jumps and upb combined (not including when you are onstage). His superarmor and speedbuffs and all that crap are fine with me, but His upb has too much height. He shouldn't be able to jump higher than a character that can fly.

I cant hit him with a photon cannon cuz his upb blocks that, so please don't suggest that idea :]

If the height is going to remain, he shouldn't have the pseudo-superarmor to the upb. It's just a thought, but I think that in that regard, a choice between the two should be made.

Don't get me wrong, I want him to have a decent recovery, I'm simply recommending maybe a 1/3 less height with the neutral buff height.

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm
BR Member

his up b's insane jankiness and the knockback on giga punch are the only things wrong with DK.
those things getting fixed would make him perfectly fine imo

Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:46 pm
BR Member

The thing about the special is that the armor is not anywhere close to unbeatable. It's also a really slow-moving uncancellable attack, and not that hard to punish. If he is recovering low, try to avoid shenanigans with feinting horizontally and just dair. If he's recovering high, just wreck him when he gets down. DK's recovery is good, but not that hard to counter as an edgeguarder.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Gimj wrote:
Made an account just to post about this character. I don't know who is in charge of this game's balance, but DK's recovery is literally the most blatantly overpowered, intended-change I've seen in a game. He is a comboing heavyweight with god-like recovery, broken concept in and of itself. You have to either kill him from the top or smash him at 200% just to ensure he does not recover. Spiking is possible but that UP-B can recover from anywhere pretty easily, not to mention his god-like ledge grab range.

DK was fine before this patch, but I will never use him again until this recovery buff is toned down extremely. It's just asinine, I'd say DK is the best character in the game now and his concept is inherently broken. The only weakness he has is his size and no projectile.

upb/sideb are math errors, and very bad ones at that. my b. we were pulling allnighters before both releases and i was on some fruit loops-induced high or something i guess

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:51 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
DK does have a ton of power behind his moveset. I personally like the new KO potential the Giant Punch has, though I think it should need more charge time just because of it's insane power. Especially since it makes most (not including me, YOLO) opponents nervous when DK has one of these charged up. Not to mention the super armor it has.

Side B is just stupid, sure it's range is short but it's shield-stun is basically pressure heaven.
I think nair is bit much considering he already has a fantastic aerial game, I say just give it a BIT of start-up lag. Kinda like what you did with MK's dair.
Fsmash is also pretty stupid in range and speed. I honestly believe it should be one or the other, leaning towards range.

Now something that NEEDS toned down is uspecial, is stupidly safe, not to mention it combo's into itself mutilple times. 100% needs less priority. ASAP
The mobility it gives while grounded is also stupid.

I like DK otherwise, he's pretty cool. BUT, dat recovery tho.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:10 am
BR Member

I think DK needs Giant Punch to have more startup lag so that you couldn't get EZ cargo throw kills or uair -> nspec to kill at 50% every stock. Other than that, I think he is a fine character. His recovery is kind of like BM's: it has a ton of distance, but is easy to gimp.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:12 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
DK does have a ton of power behind his moveset. I personally like the new KO potential the Giant Punch has, though I think it should need more charge time just because of it's insane power. Especially since it makes most (not including me, YOLO) opponents nervous when DK has one of these charged up. Not to mention the super armor it has.

Side B is just stupid, sure it's range is short but it's shield-stun is basically pressure heaven.
I think nair is bit much considering he already has a fantastic aerial game, I say just give it a BIT of start-up lag. Kinda like what you did with MK's dair.
Fsmash is also pretty stupid in range and speed. I honestly believe it should be one or the other, leaning towards range.

Now something that NEEDS toned down is uspecial, is stupidly safe, not to mention it combo's into itself mutilple times. 100% needs less priority. ASAP

...omg

you're ok with giant punch, a move that kills at 20% and has super armor the entire time, but sideB is too OP?
g2g

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:03 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
[TSON] wrote:
you're ok with giant punch, a move that kills at 20% and has super armor the entire time, but sideB is too OP?
g2g

^^^^^^^^^^

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 am

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
[TSON] wrote:
gEmssbguy13 wrote:

...omg

g2g

No, sorry about that one. Lol, this was awhile ago when I was first experimenting with DK.

I take back with what I said with s-special. I think just uspecial and nspecial are the only nerfs needed.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:02 pm

MGN Username: Mr Tunra_23
Currently Playing: SSB64, SSBM, SSBB, Project M, SSF2, MK9, Pokemon Showdown
In all honesty DK needs more of a nerf then just his Giant punch and Up b... His smash attacks go off way too fast for a heavy hitter with such killing potential, Back throw should not kill at 50% it took a lot more to kill with back throw in the official smash games, Down Throw and Up throw shouldn't be able to chain grab most of the cast, and hitboxes should be fixed seriously not even kirbys up tilt in ssb64 was this disjointed.

Edit: If DK's throw are to remain the same then at least give him a terrible grab range to balance it out.

SSB64 Main:Image

SSBM Main:Image

SSBB Main:Image

Project M Main:Image

SSF2 Main: Image

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Currently Playing: L4D2, SSF2
Just because DK went from being low-tier to high-tier all of a sudden he needs like 256 different nerfs ?
DK is good now, so what ?
Deal with it FFS

I can agree with the Neutral-B, I never use it anyway, way more fun to kill with UpB.

No DI - A SSF2 v0.9a Combo Video :
YouTube Video:

FALCON...PUUUUNCH

MGN username : Shady75

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 pm

MGN Username: Mr Tunra_23
Currently Playing: SSB64, SSBM, SSBB, Project M, SSF2, MK9, Pokemon Showdown
I'm not saying to nerf him completely to the point that he's useless. I'm just saying that dk's hitboxes/Attack speed/killing power should be nerfed a bit. Not til he's pretty much 0.9a DK but just to the point where Back throw doesn't kill you at 50% or forward smash having to fast of a start up, or dk not having that big of a hitbox.

SSB64 Main:Image

SSBM Main:Image

SSBB Main:Image

Project M Main:Image

SSF2 Main: Image

Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 pm
 [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next