The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 2:46 pm

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Captain Falcon 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Discuss Captain Falcon specific game-play here.

Mon May 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Currently Playing: La-Mulana and other platformers
I can't seem to land knees on characters on the ground like I can in Melee. Nevertheless, he feels fast and responsive with a fun combo game. I haven't had any hiccups switching back and forth from Melee's falcon to this one so far.

Tue May 30, 2017 3:09 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
It's all a matter of timing. In Melee getting the Knee really low isn't that hard, but in here your only chance is to time the lowest part of SH knee with the little ground bounce when they miss the tech. Practice on a Fox CPu in training mode and you'll get the timing down.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
Not sure if it's just me, but CF feels a lot more sluggish compared to how he was in 9B. That, and he feels like and up air simulator now that occasionally decides to knee every once in a while. Almost feels like all of his hitboxes on his moves were increased in size for some reason, which is probably why I've been told multiple times now that he's top tier in Beta. His up air hitbox is massive feeling though... same with his sweet spot knee (plus it kills way sooner too)

I don't think I enjoy the new falcon compared to 9B falcon

Wed May 31, 2017 12:16 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Yeah. Falcon's feels slower. But I can't put my finger on what it is that's hurting him exactly. Dash-speed? Acceleration? Air-speed? Momentum off dash to jump? And his throw animation have longer frame-data. I can understand not wanting him to combo off every throw so easily, but that wasn't right solution. Less hitstun/knockback so he could be punished for being overzealous at low percents is what should've been done.

Now, I think Uair > Knee might only be easier because of the changes to jump-physics. It's possibe to now position your air-space more accurately to get the follow-up. But with much of his other combo-possibilities missing, this is now his most relied upon combo. There's less expressive potential in character now with his combo game simplified.

v0.9b Falcon was reason alone for a competitive Smash players to play SSF2. He had buttery-smooth, Melee-esque combos, and even more explosive standard movement then we've seen in any other Smash game. His jank is gone; good for that. He's "balanced" with the other characters too maybe. I know it was small tweak, but what made him such a lovable character to play in this game is gone. Really hope he gets refined in a update soon.

EDITx3: After playing him for some more hours: I really think Uair is a main cause for this. It's base-knockback and growth makes it really easy for the move to go into itself and Knee. It also kills way too early, I've been killing with it at 100% on heavier character. Plus, it being a damn good move to approach with and just throw in neutral. And I think this simple combo ability distracts from his other possible qualities. He can still sort of Dash-boost for movement in neutral, but it doesn't feel that effective.

I think much of him could be gotten used to, but his throws being so slow is very un-hype for his character and slowdown his combo pace. And Uair has a bit too much utility; would probably adjust it's knockback angle a bit higiher and make it a little less effective as a kill move. I could live with much of everything else for the sake of character consistency. It'll be up to the players to build-up his style to be a crowded-pleaser character he is.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Wed May 31, 2017 5:06 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
uair is identical rofl

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:27 am

Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
It is, but not like this, man. Lmao, just needs lower knockback growth or something. It goes from being a free combo tool, to knocking opponent way off stage at 60% for an easy Knee to gimp. In the right position, Uair > Uair > Uair > Knee can kill a lot of characters from 0%. It's like v0.9b Sheik's Fair: its just a little too good at its job.

Ir's an oversight, I'm just saying. Like v0.9b Sheik's fair, it dictates the character playstyle to be more linear and encourages the combo game to revolve around a handful of moves.

But... Can it not be overnerfed like Sheik's Fair was though...

YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive

Last edited by Z A L O on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:04 am

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
so I did some more fooling around with falcon. what use does his up-throw have? I can't find any reliable reasons for why I should use this throw at all over down throw mostly, but even forward throw and back throw seem to have better follow up options than up throw.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Those other throws, characters can DI away-and-down to avoid guaranteed follow-ups and force Falcon to guess in a tech-chase. Up-throw lends to Nair/Uair if they DI up or in. Can get Knee at mid-low or higher, especially if they DI out. Can chain-throw very well as long as you read the DI. And on floaties, it's your starter for Uair-chains to Knee.

YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive

Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:57 pm

MGN Username: EaglePie
Currently Playing: Melee/PM, SSF2, FEH
Waifu: ...idc
I pulled off sacred combo in SSF2 as Falcon. Your opinions are invalid. :chibirobo:

Brawl: Sheik, Meta Knight
Project M: Falco, Roy, Mewtwo
Smash Flash 2: Falco, Captain Falcon, Marth, Fox, Pichu
Smash 4: Roy, Dr. Mario
Ultimate: Lucina

Currently working on my own Smash Java project as a hobby

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:31 pm

MGN Username: riku434
Currently Playing: Project M
Waifu: Joseph Joestar
tfw you can grab Falcon during his Falcon Kick without being hit.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:43 pm

MGN Username: FluffyRuff
MeleeWaluigi wrote:
tfw you can grab Falcon during his Falcon Kick without being hit.

YOUCAN DO THAT?! LOL

Didn't know that.

Now I know to try punish it with a grab when I fight a :captainfalcon: in a tourney.

Practicing: :yoshi:

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 pm

Side B will proc on Fox's lasers, which can gimp him offstage.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:47 am

MGN Username: MEGA12312
Currently Playing: MH3U SSF2
Waifu: My bed
Played a bit with Falcon and i've got quite a bit to say with my (limited) experience.

His jab is fast, pretty average, but it's kind of weird how you can link Gentleman (third hit) to multijabs.

Tilts are pretty good, Kinda sad that up tilt doesn't spike but eh.

Aerials. Foward air is amazing as usual(on top of being very easy to combo into) , back air is pretty well rounded, down air is really strong no seriously. It's REALLY strong and Nair is really good for combos. Now.
Up air. It's not very consistent. It might be DI but sometimes it hits diagonally, and sometimes horizontally (Which can be used for killing lol)

Falcon punch is, well, falcon punch. Raptor boost is really useful at mid percents and can chain hit on spacies on low percent. UP be is, meh. Down be onstage is not useful (too much endlag)

Throws. Up throw can combo at low percents, being replaced by down throw later. Back throw sends at a pretty unfair angle imo. I really see no use for foward throw other than "hey, i'm facing the ledge and i got a grab"

The only smash attack worth mentioning is up smash because i've yet to hit it so i don't use it.

Sooooo if i got anything horribly wrong just say it, i'll keep an open mind about it.

BTW, i have no idea what C. Falcons' matchup is like, but i'm specially curious about spacies.

Wow they actually fixed Ness' throw. kinda

PICHU HYPEexcept not yet /:|

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Tailsis<3 wrote:
The only smash attack worth mentioning is up smash because i've yet to hit it so i don't use it.

LMAO :xd: :xd: It's so true though!

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm
 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next