The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 11:34 pm

[ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next
MG Mafia XIX: Dota 2 Mafia - GG 

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Unvote

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 am

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Unvote

but deph i'm watching you (play dota 2)

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
No no no. The theme is for fun. It exists only to add colour to the game and occasionally to inspire roles or unique mechanics. However, the theme has no bearing on whether a given individual is scum or not. Zero. Zip. Nada. The only thing that matters is play. Trying to read the game based on te theme is essentially an exercise in guessing what decisions the moderator took when designing the setup. It's poor play and is ridiculously advantageous for the mafia. Themes don't win games. Playing mafia wins games.

Let's assume for a moment that you have managed to figure out exactly what roles are in the game. Even so, you would still have to figure out who has those roles in order to win. You're still at square one regardless of howich thematic content you guess right about.

I pointed to Ace Attorney mafia as an example of a game where the town was so focused on figuring out the theme that the mafia was able to do almost nothing and win. It just doesn't work. Honestly, in a setup with hundreds of potential characters, what are the odds of guessing correctly about anything? Let's just focus on playing mafia.

I will respond to everything else in a little while.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 am

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
Being the paranoid person I am, I basically think everyone is null right now. For example, my gut's telling me that Brik is town, but based on experience, I can't trust my gut so much when it comes to Brik.

Basically applies to everyone else.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Read through again, Brik seems to be town. He's been proactive in trying to steer the game on course, or at least appears to.

Sorry for the slight inactivity, I'll be more active. (nursing school)

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 am

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
Before I begin, a few things.
@TOWK: Votecount, please. Also, prod Champetero, please.
~~~~
King Arthur wrote:
Currently, the only real town vibe I have is coming from Brik. Everybody else is just null at the moment.

Genis wrote:
Being the paranoid person I am, I basically think everyone is null right now. For example, my gut's telling me that Brik is town, but based on experience, I can't trust my gut so much when it comes to Brik.

Basically applies to everyone else.

Dr.Geno wrote:
Read through again, Brik seems to be town. He's been proactive in trying to steer the game on course, or at least appears to.

Sorry for the slight inactivity, I'll be more active. (nursing school)

This is something that should draw your attention. These are all full posts, and all of them state that Brik is town, while either withholding judgement on the others or saying that everyone else is a full flat null. While I definitely like that people are stating their views(PoE is really powerful), I don't like that this isn't conducive towards trying to find scum and eventually win the game. Also, when you guys are saying stuff about your reads, please don't just say something about one person and stop there, because that's not going to help us win the game, eventually: not voting/questioning/pressuring will get you absolutely nowhere in terms of anything.
~~~~
Genis wrote:
Terra wrote:
Going with pure gut right now, my main suspect is Genis. Don't like the RQS and his coverup, and his subsequent participation in setup speculation. Dephius is not far behind, though.

Vote: Genis

Er, ok. RQS was mainly to get discussion going (which didn't work because everyone didn't want to do it anyway). I suppose it wasn't much of a good idea since we've done it so many times, but I was attempting to stray away from votes with s*** reasons. As for the setup speculation, I just wanted to contribute some of my thoughts on the subject. However, I've yet to see why participating in trying to help the town could make me mafia, but whatever.

Anyway, since I have school tomorrow and need to sleep, I'll probably tell you who I suspect later that day.

I can understand why you want to use the RQS, but the main point of this early part of the game is to gather as much information as possible, and I'm not quite sure how the questions you asked would've created content enough to try to find out someone, since you can pretty much answer it the same way town or scum and get away with it.

Also, your participation in setup speculation is not the sole reason I had a gut feeling you were scum: it was that I felt you weren't really trying to help the town. The combination of the RQS and just purely setup speculating gave me a feeling that maybe you purposely went along so as to blend in with the town(since everyone else was speculating: everyone being Dephius, Nixter, Arthur and Thomas in that order), and not do anything else. Vote remains on you for now.

Genis, I'd like to ask you this question: who is your largest scumread, and why? This applies to everyone else as well, by the way, but I'm primarily concerned with Genis.
~~~~
Thomas Terminator wrote:
Brik, this isn't Ace Attorney Mafia.

New game, new possibilities, speaking the fact that Dota 2's characters fit your average Mafia roles.

Take Jojo's Mafia for example. It was based off of characters from the Jojo's All-Star video game. According to Lucina ( now known as Franziska von Karma), Shoop's character (Weather Report) wasn't in the Jojo's All-Stars video game, which no one really seem to catch until the end of the game where it was too late.

My point that i'm trying to prove is that in some way, the theme does matter. It didn't seem to matter that much in Ace Attorney, but I have a good feeling that for this game, the theme does matter.

While Brik has already replied to you, Thomas, I'd like to ask you this question, if you don't mind: what applications of setup speculation do you think will apply to this game? In other words, where would setup speculation play a part in lynching mafia/finding townies/eventually winning?
~~~~
Here's a very rough idea of what I think right now, which isn't much, but it might help.
Reads List No. 1
Town(Strong>Weak):Brik, Kyuubit
Null(Town>Scum): Everyone not in the top or bottom, in no particular order
Scum(Strong>Weak):Genis, Dephius, Thomas

I'm quite sure I've explained everything, but if you have any questions on my current reads, please feel free to ask.

Everyone in the Null section(Champ, Luc, Geno, Nixter, Arthur), please post more, in regards to the above question(who is your largest scumread) as well as your thoughts on Genis, Dephius and Thomas. Obviously anything else would be useful, but this is the most important in my opinion.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:55 am

Currently Playing: baseball.
Sorry internet was down.
Terra wrote:
Before I begin, a few things.
Here's a very rough idea of what I think right now, which isn't much, but it might help.
Reads List No. 1
Town(Strong>Weak):Brik, Kyuubit
Null(Town>Scum): Everyone not in the top or bottom, in no particular order
Scum(Strong>Weak):Genis, Dephius, Thomas

I'm quite sure I've explained everything, but if you have any questions on my current reads, please feel free to ask.

Everyone in the Null section(Champ, Luc, Geno, Nixter, Arthur), please post more, in regards to the above question(who is your largest scumread) as well as your thoughts on Genis, Dephius and Thomas. Obviously anything else would be useful, but this is the most important in my opinion.

1)Well my reads aren't so strong right now but my largest scumread would be Thomas.He has kept defending set up speculation which won't help town win the game.It was the very thing that made town lost the last game.

2.a)Genis:He tried to do a RQS but everyone refused to answer.He was talking a lot by set up speculation.He got a little defensive when you voted for him.Null

2.b)Dephius:He was one of the main talkers in set up speculation.He said that roshan was the most likely 3rd party when there are a lot other possibilities.Null

2.c)Thomas:Read above.

@Terra could you explain why do you think Kyuubit is town?

Thomas Terminator wrote:
Brikanorak wrote:
No, the theme is promoting pages of useless filler posts that do nothing to help us win the game. See Ace Attorney mafia.

My vote is 100% serious. I actually want to lynch Terra.

Brik, this isn't Ace Attorney Mafia.

New game, new possibilities, speaking the fact that Dota 2's characters fit your average Mafia roles.

Take Jojo's Mafia for example. It was based off of characters from the Jojo's All-Star video game. According to Lucina ( now known as Franziska von Karma), Shoop's character (Weather Report) wasn't in the Jojo's All-Stars video game, which no one really seem to catch until the end of the game where it was too late.
People weren't going to argue about a "confirmed" townie.

My point that i'm trying to prove is that in some way, the theme does matter. It didn't seem to matter that much in Ace Attorney, but I have a good feeling that for this game, the theme does matter.
Explain how the theme does matter?Assuming you found all the roles how will you find out who is who.Also set up speculation can help mafia claiming because they can just claim a character that has been speculated.

Pre-edit: Fixing a couple grammar and spelling mistakes.

@Brik
What do you think about Thomas and Terra?

Unvote.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
Unvote since I forgot to

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:17 pm
BR Member

Why I want to lynch Terra: the movie: the book: the forum post:

It's pretty simple. Terra said in the Tips and Tricks section that he is always super agressive as town. His play thus far has been much more controlled than usual, with significant traces of scum Terra tendencies. Therefore, there is no doubt in my mind that he is mafia.

Other than that, my biggest scum read is Dephius. I've seen little - if any - useful content from him, and his defense of setup speculation as a viable strategy has been poor. What worries me most, however, is that town Dephius would never have any reason to promote theme-centered play. It seems much more like a scum Dephius tactic, in line with his patient style of ensuring that the town gathers as little information as possible.

I'm not sure how to feel about Genis. Setup speculation is kind of his "thing", and it tends to be a big part of his gameplan regardless of alignment. However, it is also his default method of trying to appear town at the beginning of a game. If we were to look strictly at what he has posted in this game and ignore any elements of meta, it would be safe to say that while Genis appears active, he has contributed almost nothing towards the advancement of the town. I'm definitely entertaining the possibility of him being mafia.

I don't have an opinion on Thomas yet. He hasn't done anything other than speculate and give poor arguments as to why that's helpful. It kind of matches Dephius' play, but for some reason I'm not getting quite as strong a vibe. I want him to post more.

Kyuubit is null in the truest sense of the word. His posts could go either way (man).

I'm not a huge fan of Champ's last post because he's basically parroting the major points of the last page or two. I felt like I was reading my own post at one point. That said, I take this as an indication of someone still learning the ropes of the game and not necessarily a scum tell.

Everyone else should post more, including King Arthur.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I apologize for my absence yesterday, I went straight from school to the hospital where my sister gave birth to a darling baby girl and we later went out to Olive Garden for my dad's birthday.

After I finish my leftovers, I'll catch up on this.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Brikanorak wrote:

Other than that, my biggest scum read is Dephius. I've seen little - if any - useful content from him, and his defense of setup speculation as a viable strategy has been poor. What worries me most, however, is that town Dephius would never have any reason to promote theme-centered play. It seems much more like a scum Dephius tactic, in line with his patient style of ensuring that the town gathers as little information as possible.

Theme centered play? Were we going to speculate the third-party the entire game? I promoted one, small discussion that barely lasted a page and was quickly ended and suddenly this is a scum-tell? And how did you all plan to get the game moving? RVS votes that go nowhere? RQS that accomplish nothing? An attack on someone who, at the time had zero posts, and based off unreliable meta?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:33 pm
BR Member

Actually, that's a really good question. Were you going to speculate about the third party the entire game? As far as I can tell you still would have had to figure out a way to actually start the game after the third party discussion was over because that sort of thing doesn't give any indication of player alignment. Assuming that the speculation discussion had gone off without a hitch, where would have moved the game next?

As far as I can tell my method has worked pretty well so I'm not sure I see the problem with it. ~_^

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:12 pm
BR Member

*where would you have moved the game next

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:14 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Town read so far is Brik, he seems to be pretty active in leading the town into the right direction

Not sure why Terra is all up on Genis' case, though, jumping the gun to the RQS is rather harmless

Champ is mostly just echoing what's been already been done/said so there's that, too

not exactly any "scum reads" but it's what I see so far

I'd like to see Arthur post a little more, too

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
Wow. Um, ok.

Brikanorak wrote:
Why I want to lynch Terra: the movie: the book: the forum post:

It's pretty simple. Terra said in the Tips and Tricks section that he is always super agressive as town. His play thus far has been much more controlled than usual, with significant traces of scum Terra tendencies. Therefore, there is no doubt in my mind that he is mafia.

If you don't mind me asking, what "tendencies" do you actually see?

Brikanorak wrote:
I'm not sure how to feel about Genis. Setup speculation is kind of his "thing", and it tends to be a big part of his gameplan regardless of alignment. However, it is also his default method of trying to appear town at the beginning of a game. If we were to look strictly at what he has posted in this game and ignore any elements of meta, it would be safe to say that while Genis appears active, he has contributed almost nothing towards the advancement of the town. I'm definitely entertaining the possibility of him being mafia.

I actually can't really defend myself on this one. It's true that I haven't been able to contribute anything today, and it's completely my fault. I'm attempting to help but failing, and I'm sorry; I can definitely see why I'd be suspected.

However, while I was unable to help the town up to now, I'm still trying to. I don't know if that says anything because people always doubt it, but whatever.

RG4L | Champ wrote:
2.a)Genis:He tried to do a RQS but everyone refused to answer.He was talking a lot by set up speculation.He got a little defensive when you voted for him.Null

Of course I would be defensive; I don't want the town to kill me. Would you rather have me just ignore his vote and cause more suspicion on why I did so?

As for my largest scumread, I'll get to that. I'll need a while to examine everyone's posts up to now.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm
 [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next