The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:07 am

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
The Comprehensive SSF2 Advanced Technique Compendium 
BR Member

Currently Playing: w/ emotions
Waifu: joey
Characters: Sheik, Zelda
Description:When performing Sheik/Zelda's up special, holding left and right at the same time will cause Sheik/Zelda to teleport in place rather than in a direction. This is a very underrated tactic that can be quite useful, as it offers a GREAT mixup option. Most opponents will try to read the direction you will teleport, and they will almost never expect the in place teleport. This also allows you to perform a weaker version of Shino-stalling by tapping away from the ledge while grabbing it to let go then immediately teleporting in place, allowing you to grab the ledge. Teleporting in place with Sheik is also very useful because you can use it to perform some troll edgeguards
Method:Hold both left and right after pressing up+special with Sheik/Zelda. Only doable on keyboard.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:35 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
^ Already has been mentioned.

Character: :samus:
Name: Bomb Jumping
Description: Use Morph Ball Bombs to propel yourself into the air and increase your recovery distance.
How to: Quickly lay down two Morph Ball Bombs in a row without moving too far to the sides. The explosion of the Morph Ball will propel you up. Can be used as a landing mixup, to increase your recovery distance or even stay offstage longer for a flashy edgeguard kill.

Name: Morph Jump (not official)
Description: Allows Samus to perform any move mid-air without falling.
How to: Lay a Bomb on the ground. As the same time it explodes (second bounce if started on the ground), jump. Samus will jump slightly higher than she normally would. Performing any airial or special besides Screw Attack will cause her to hover and even glide a bit if it is a Homing Missile.

Name: Missile Cancelling
Description: Fire a Homing Missile or Super Missile without lag, allowing her to fire another Missile or do anything else.
How to: When about to land from a jump, running of a platform or being knocked into the air, fire any Missile type. If done right, Samus will fire a Missile and then land, which will negate the lag completely.
Gif: https://gfycat.com/ForthrightWildKoodoo (not by me)

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:17 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Cookies, since Samus is just landing while launching a missile, I feel like this isn't really an advanced technique. Unless you want to count Fox landing from shooting a laser an advanced technique as well. The slow platform drop and the drop cancel however, are ATs and the gif demonstrates one of the methods.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:43 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Well, it is a big part of her playstyle, so I though it would deserve a spot. I saw this as a place where new players could check the techs their char has, but apparently not. Sorry.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:47 pm

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
This technique is super slept on. I'm not sure what to call this one. Maybe the MDA for multi directional approach. Once again this is a base technique which branches off into sub techniques that can cover many options. The base of it is simply holding both your left and right movment keys simultaneously. Any character can do it and doing it should result in you walking forward at normal speed. You may be asking "Well if holding both direction keys just results in walking, why not just hold the forward key to gain the same result..?" Excellent question, dummy. If you simply hold the forward key and attack, your character will do an ftilt. If you hold both directions, the inputs more or less cancel themselves out, allowing you to do neutral attacks while maintaining the momentum of walking. Which brings us to the branch techniques;

MDA Jabbing - It's simply MDAing and pressing the attack key at the same time. It should result in your character doing a walking jab. If you dash while MDAing you can do a dashing jab as well. This tech can lead to better spaced jab resets, double or even triple jab to grab strings, more aggressive use of jab combos, and much more.

MDA Nairing - MDA Nairing is just MDAing in the air and attacking. It will result in your nair carrying significantly more forward momentum than it normally would. Uses vary from character to character but it is essentially just a more effective way to nair.

Auto Pivot Grabbing - I have no idea why, but if you MDA to the left and grab, your character automatically does a pivot grab and will be facing right. Doesn't work in the other direction but still very useful in some situations.

MDA Dtilts - This is just MDAing and tapping crouch and attack in a rhythmic sequence to perform an approaching dtilt. It basically turns all dtilts mobile more or less. Unfortunately, it can't be combined with the tilt drop.

You can also MDA Utilt and a few other things. Play around with your character to find his/her best options.

Last edited by Huey on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:17 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
TSF|Skailler wrote:
Well, it is a big part of her playstyle, so I though it would deserve a spot. I saw this as a place where new players could check the techs their char has, but apparently not. Sorry.

No no, you misunderstand. I personally consider it a strategy, not a technique. Other people can disagree though, I wouldn't consider Fox landing while shooting lasers as an advanced technique but hey some ppl might disagree.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:09 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Godot wrote:
TSF|Skailler wrote:

No no, you misunderstand. I personally consider it a strategy, not a technique. Other people can disagree though, I wouldn't consider Fox landing while shooting lasers as an advanced technique but hey some ppl might disagree.

I think if there was an autocancel window, then yes. However, you could also consider chaingrabbing a strategy, yet you list it as an AT in your Falcon Guide.

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:44 pm

MGN Username: MaskedShadow2017
Currently Playing: the game called "the struggle of life."
Waifu: Don't need one.
Huey wrote:
This technique is super slept on. I'm not sure what to call this one. Maybe the MDA for multi directional approach. Once again this is a base technique which branches off into sub techniques that can cover many options. The base of it is simply holding both your left and right movment keys simultaneously. Any character can do it and doing it should result in you walking forward at normal speed. You may be asking "Well if holding both direction keys just results in walking, why not just hold the forward key to gain the same result..?" Excellent question, dummy. If you simply hold the forward key and attack, your character will do an ftilt. If you hold both directions, the inputs more or less cancel themselves out, allowing you to do neutral attacks while maintaining the momentum of walking. Which brings us to the branch techniques;

MDA Jabbing - It's simply MDAing and pressing the attack key at the same time. It should result in your character doing a walking jab. If you dash while MDAing you can do a dashing jab as well. This tech can lead to better spaced jab resets, double or even triple jab to grab strings, more aggressive use of jab combos, and much more.

MDA Nairing - MDA Nairing is just MDAing in the air and attacking. It will result in your nair carrying significantly more forward momentum than it normally would. Uses vary from character to character but it is essentially just a more effective way to nair.

Auto Pivot Grabbing - I have no idea why, but if you MDA to the left and grab, your character automatically does a pivot grab and will be facing right. Doesn't work in the other direction but still very useful in some situations.

MDA Dtilts - This is just MDAing and tapping crouch and attack in a rhythmic sequence to perform an approaching dtilt. It basically turns all dtilts mobile more or less. Unfortunately, it can't be combined with the tilt drop.

You can also MDA Utilt and a few other things. Play around with your character to find his/her best options.

Hey would you mind sending me some replays showing this off, this seem very complicated.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 pm

MGN Username: Sachamel
Isn't strategy is more like a gameplan, what you aim to do against a certain character/player?

Landcancelling altough maybe not "that" advanced is still a really useful technique and as Skailler noted, many new players may not know about it. However it shouldn't be listed as a unique thing to Samus imo and instead should be a more general AT where all chars that can landcancel their projectiles should be added (i.e. Mario, Samus, etc.).

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:12 pm

RedLightning wrote:
Hey would you mind sending me some replays showing this off, this seem very complicated.

I can't unfortunately but it just sounds complicated. Probably mostly because of my wording. If you play keyboard, this tech is cake. Let's say you move with the arrow keys. If you hold both left and right at the same time, you'll begin walking forward at normal pace. Continue holding, then start tapping your attack button. You should start doing a walking jab. Easiest and most effective to do with Captain Falcon. Practice that and it'll make more sense

If you play controller like me, you'll need to improvise...

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:29 pm
SSF2 Developer

Sachamel wrote:
Isn't strategy is more like a gameplan, what you aim to do against a certain character/player?

Landcancelling altough maybe not "that" advanced is still a really useful technique and as Skailler noted, many new players may not know about it. However it shouldn't be listed as a unique thing to Samus imo and instead should be a more general AT where all chars that can landcancel their projectiles should be added (i.e. Mario, Samus, etc.).

This I agree with, which extends to what you guys were saying. Autocanceling should be mentioned (especially since it's use is very prevalent in higher level gameplay), and then the different ways it appears across the roster should be noted.

Chaingrabbing is not an AT, when I think about it. It's just a type of combo, really.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:49 pm

I agree with the chaingrabbing bit too.

Also, add Cucco cancelling, super "useful" against Peach:

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:26 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
I injured my left hand so I can't make examples for super technical stuff right now, hopefully it heals soon. Currently readying about 5 entries to be added to the OP.

@DoqK, Dope: Thanks, I'll add MK to the teleport tech. Apparently Goku can do it too.

@Skailler: Thanks for the post! Bomb jumping is kinda just how the move works so I wouldn't consider it an AT, but I'll definitely add morph jumping.
Land cancelling is a (sub)universal technique so I'll be adding it under one of those two categories, but wow that gfy illustrates it beautifully.

@Huey: Neato. This one should be pretty easy to make an example for so I'll add it soon.

Yeah, chaingrabbing definitely isn't an AT.

@Sachamel: Wow that's hilarious. I'll make a new category for techniques that require items.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Lol cool, btw it works on the whole cast besides Wario and Captain Falcon (for some reason). Instead, they keep hovering even after touching ground; Captain Falcon can go faster than the Falcon Flyer this way.

Also if you need I could try to make some gifs, dunno how to make gfycats tho.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Semicolon wrote:
@Huey: Great post, there are a lot of sub techniques there so I'll try to think of a good way to organize them before adding them to the OP.

Updated the Dash cancel post with GIFs. Hopefully that helps a little

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:47 pm
 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next