The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
OpenSmash 

Currently Playing: SSB4

OpenSmash is a free and open-source rewrite of Super Smash Bros in Unity3D, version 5. It is designed to be extremely customizable and is going to be deployed to Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, with Wii and/or Wii U versions being made after if/when possible. OpenSmash intends to not only allow people to customize gameplay and content to how they want, but to also serve as a replacement to Brawl mods and hacks.

What OpenSmash is
As stated above, OpenSmash is a free and open-source rewrite of Super Smash Bros. It is being programmed with extensibility as the biggest priority. OpenSmash is being licensed under Apache v2 (and will probably be dual-licensed with GPL v2). It will feature 4's roster, with Brawl's cuts and 10 to 15 new characters, with up to 6 confirmed. It will feature modes from various installments, like Board the Platforms, Break the Targets, Event Matches, Special Smash, Smash Run, and at a much later point, a SSE-like story mode.

OpenSmash won't be just a game, either. It will be a full framework and engine for Unity, allowing people to easily create SSB-like games using it.

What is done so far
Currently, we have a basic prototype done so far. As of this writing, it has a camera system, basic knockback, KO detection (with shaking camera), 4 player, colored player tags (P1, P2, P3, P4), player portraits with current amount of damage and stocks (yet no series symbols; if they were in, the prototype's characters' symbol would be the Unity logo), damage meter darkening with damage, neutral A implemented, motion and jumping, basic ledge grabbing, basic crouching, revival platforms, hard and semisoft platforms, and a basic scripting API for customizations and configurations. You can see the progress made on the prototype on our GitHub repo.

What we need
We need Unity3D programmers (C#) for the engine and game implementation, 3D modelers for characters/items/stages/trophies, 3D animators for characters/stages/items, vector artists for series symbols, concept artists for new content, 2D artists for UI and menu art, reverse engineerers to look for and document the working of Melee's and Brawl's engine and overall game mechanics, moveset writers and (series) researchers for new characters (and for stage ideas/mechanics), and possibly sound designers for creating game sounds (unless our composer decides to do this).

Here's an example of C# code from the current prototype build, which makes characters run: "m_Rigidbody.velocity = new Vector3(Input.GetAxis(horizontal) * moveSpeed * Time.deltaTime * 250, m_Rigidbody.velocity.y, 0);"

Formats OpenSmash will use
OpenSmash is being created in Unity3D 5 and programmed in C# (and potentially UnityScript). Models and animations will be in the FBX format. Extensions and content will be Unity assetbundles (the only way we can load external data in Unity). Sounds and music haven't been decided yet; will probably be WAV or OGG.

People helping with OpenSmash
WindozeNT - creator, project manager
Soapitonnic - concept art (characters), programmer (soon)
Ace MC - 3D modeler
Antuan - animator
Dylan - character research
Tyler - composer
Gavin - programmer
Joe - programmer
Andrew - reverse engineering
Kiwidog - reverse engineering
Matthew - stage design

Screenshots (as of the April 30th build)
When the game starts
Attacking
Jumping
Crouching (no animations yet)
Ledge grabbing (no animations yet)
Standing on a revival platform

Joining the team
A project as massive as OpenSmash will obviously take a long time to develop (it takes Nintendo an average of 3 years to create a new installment of SSB). We are looking for members who can work on the project for as long as possible, but anyone can join if they want to contribute something. If you can help with OpenSmash's development, add me on Skype at windoze96 and you will be added to the OpenSmash developers group.

Links
We don't have a website up yet.
GitHub repo for the prototype
@OpenSmashTeam

Thank you and I look forward to working with you.
- WindozeNT

Last edited by WindozeNT on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat May 09, 2015 8:05 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
This sounds cool, but I don't have Skype.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue May 12, 2015 9:49 am

CSWooly wrote:

Then... download it?

Tue May 12, 2015 11:04 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
qbit wrote:
CSWooly wrote:

Then... download it?

I wont have the time to use Skype, and my internet HUGELY freaks out if I use Skype.
Apologies if I sounded like a douche.

Last edited by TSF.Strife on Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 12, 2015 4:17 pm

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
CSWooly wrote:
qbit wrote:
CSWooly wrote:

Then... download it?

I have no intention of doing so.

how come

Tue May 12, 2015 5:03 pm

Currently Playing: League of Legends, Killing Floor 2, Overwatch
Waifu: Cleod9
CSWooly wrote:
qbit wrote:
CSWooly wrote:

Then... download it?

I have no intention of doing so.

Then why even reply saying that it's too bad that you don't have it. Might as well just not even say anything.

Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm
BR Member

My post has been edited explaining things.

Check out the expansion speculation if you want character ideas.

Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 am

Currently Playing: SSB4
An update on OpenSmash's partnership with the developers of Genso Shoujokosen: Battle Maiden
A few nights ago, the OpenSmash team and the team working on Genso Shoujokosen: Battle Maiden ultimately cut ties to each other. A few hours before, a developer of the Battle Maiden team had done some code cleanup (though broke the revival platform code) then later reverted the changes he made from the OpenSmash GitHub repo, supposedly moving it to a private repo, and declared disinterest in working alongside us. The OpenSmash team has concluded that the Battle Maiden devs were using us for our progress and actually had no interest in helping further the engine's development, either from the start or by recent decision.

Discussions that occurred in the Battle Maiden group suggest that before and especially during the partnership between the teams, they were attempting to create a prototype for their own engine (that wasn't any type of fork of OpenSmash), even though they agreed to use ours. These discussions also showed that after the release of the April 30th prototype of the OpenSmash engine, we had significantly more progress than their engine prototype. Since there hadn't been progress on the engine prototype since April 30th (as we were putting more work into game planning after the prototype commit and were discussing what we needed implemented next in the engine and how it would be done), they had 2 of their developers join the OpenSmash group to optimize the code (which they pushed back onto our repo). Yesterday (a day or so after their optimizations), there were talks in the OpenSmash group about how the physics and gravity would be implemented, as well as what the formulas for things like knockback were. A few hours after we had decided on how they would be implemented, the Battle Maiden developers who had joined our group left, reverting the optimizations they had made from our prototype, but kept and reuploaded their optimized version of our prototype to a private repo. They immediately removed members of the OpenSmash team from their group as well, stating that they did not want to continue working with us due to OpenSmash also being a game (which they knew good and well from the very start, and I made that very clear that OpenSmash was going to be 2 separate things when the projects partnered with each other). That is when their true intentions became apparent to the OpenSmash team.

While they did disassociate with us, they failed to keep us from having their optimized version of our engine as I had cloned it (as I do after every commit made to the repos) before it could be removed. It has been recommitted. So OpenSmash and Battle Maiden are no longer being developed alongside each other.

tl;dr: The developers of Battle Maiden decided to use us for our progress when they were unable to make a prototype for their own separate engine. Ultimately, the OpenSmash team and the Battle Maiden team have split.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:22 pm
WindozeNT wrote:
An update on OpenSmash's partnership with the developers of Genso Shoujokosen: Battle Maiden
A few nights ago, the OpenSmash team and the team working on Genso Shoujokosen: Battle Maiden ultimately cut ties to each other. A few hours before, a developer of the Battle Maiden team had done some code cleanup (though broke the revival platform code) then later reverted the changes he made from the OpenSmash GitHub repo, supposedly moving it to a private repo, and declared disinterest in working alongside us. The OpenSmash team has concluded that the Battle Maiden devs were using us for our progress and actually had no interest in helping further the engine's development, either from the start or by recent decision.

Discussions that occurred in the Battle Maiden group suggest that before and especially during the partnership between the teams, they were attempting to create a prototype for their own engine (that wasn't any type of fork of OpenSmash), even though they agreed to use ours. These discussions also showed that after the release of the April 30th prototype of the OpenSmash engine, we had significantly more progress than their engine prototype. Since there hadn't been progress on the engine prototype since April 30th (as we were putting more work into game planning after the prototype commit and were discussing what we needed implemented next in the engine and how it would be done), they had 2 of their developers join the OpenSmash group to optimize the code (which they pushed back onto our repo). Yesterday (a day or so after their optimizations), there were talks in the OpenSmash group about how the physics and gravity would be implemented, as well as what the formulas for things like knockback were. A few hours after we had decided on how they would be implemented, the Battle Maiden developers who had joined our group left, reverting the optimizations they had made from our prototype, but kept and reuploaded their optimized version of our prototype to a private repo. They immediately removed members of the OpenSmash team from their group as well, stating that they did not want to continue working with us due to OpenSmash also being a game (which they knew good and well from the very start, and I made that very clear that OpenSmash was going to be 2 separate things when the projects partnered with each other). That is when their true intentions became apparent to the OpenSmash team.

While they did disassociate with us, they failed to keep us from having their optimized version of our engine as I had cloned it (as I do after every commit made to the repos) before it could be removed. It has been recommitted. So OpenSmash and Battle Maiden are no longer being developed alongside each other.

tl;dr: The developers of Battle Maiden decided to use us for our progress when they were unable to make a prototype for their own separate engine. Ultimately, the OpenSmash team and the Battle Maiden team have split.

That's pretty shady.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:37 pm

There is a lot on your post about reading and understand that why we get so many error on windows or any programming though so nowadays I have been taking notes and classes online from writing where people can write my essay for me online without any big error or any grammatically mistake.
its a huge successes to me that now I can get in and perform things as per need though

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:59 pm
 [ 10 posts ]