The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 12:11 am

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
My Huge Super Smash Flash 2 Speculation Roster Analysis 

Right, I forgot to mention, I kind of feel like there should be a bit more retros, but that's just me.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2
Alright, I'm finally here to answer some of your questions!

blackking1700 wrote:
I think for a final roster, it's alright. I think there are too many 3rd Parties. I personally believe the theory that each third-party franchise will get 2 reps in the final version, and then maybe more as DLC. I Think the lack of retro reps in the starting roster is most likely because they wanted to save them as unlockable's in the final version.

Two per third-party franchise? Very interesting mindset. It's hard to decipher how much representation a third-party franchise will get, but I think at most we could see for 3-4 characters for extremely big franchises like Sonic. It depends with Final Fantasy, but I think there's potential for it to happen.

Quote:
I think we're only getting Snake. People say that Simon Belmont is almost a guarantee because he's got a stage, but the devs stated that they only added the stage because they liked PM's stage. Not to mention that adding Simon Belmont kinda kills BluePikmin's statement(wether it's something the devs actually said or something he's speculating), "5. The developers are doing their best to avoid adding clones in the game." Last I checked, ZSS uses a whip for all but 2 of her moves essentially making Simon no longer unique(and yes the same can be said for Krystal and her staff) and making him a Semi-Clone at the least, which is exactly what he stated the Devs are avoiding. There I just put up a whole list of reasons why I think Simon Belmont WILL NOT happen.

As someone who has played through Castlevania I and Super Castlevania IV, Simon is not a clone. His play-style is based around his whip and a few other subweapons that makes him distinguishable from Zero Suit Samus. ZSS has around 3-5 attacks that use her whip and that's not her primary playstle, and her play-style revolves agile movement. Simon would be a slower, heavy character with lots of melee range if he came to Smash.

That's just basing on his old games, believe me, he is very different.

Bedoop wrote:
I know that she isn't exactly popular, but she's probably the most occuring Fire Emblem Character (Showing up even more than Marth, iirc) and her role as a Merchant means that she has access to a lot more than just a Sword (She could use literally everything, from Swords to Tomes to Bow n' Arrows to Cannons to Axes to Lances and all that good stuff, she could be a jack of all trades and a master of money :chibirobo: )
Alright then. I might just be the one of the only ones who sees potential in her, I guess. :chibirobo:

I'm a big supporter of Anna personally, but I see devs looking into the more popularly demanded FE characters, and Anna would probably be the last they would consider and add. I'd love to see her in though.

0_ZeroSuitUser_0 wrote:
IMO, Paper Mario and Shadow aren't necessary. I also think it would be a missed opportunity to not add a new Pokemon (ex: Sceptile). And no Waluigi?

And 3 Final Fantasy characters is kind of over-kill (even though I love Terra).

I also think that Scorpion would be a better fighting game rep. than Ryu.

I'd love to see Waluigi in, I need to consider him in the runner-up list considering his demand and wacky personality.

Final Fantasy getting three characters is not overkill IMO, since the franchise has sold more than 110 million in sales.
Black Mage, Cloud, and Terra would represent the best of Final Fantasy.

Rift of the Nova wrote:
I still think Leon should be in this game and should be speculated. But pretty nice roster analysis though.

TBH, I'm not sure if Resident Evil had a huge role in Nintendo's history. Was there that Resident Evil game that defined Capcom and was remembered for being on a Nintendo system.

dragonballhero wrote:
Right, I forgot to mention, I kind of feel like there should be a bit more retros, but that's just me.

I personally think the devs don't really have a focus on retros IMO. I feel their focus would be on adding Gamecube/Gameboy Advance characters over them, and it doesn't feel like a priority since we have not seen a retro Nintendo newcomer in the roster yet.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:31 pm

MGN Username: Vega
Currently Playing: The Beta
Resident Evil didn't have a huge role in Nintendo's History? Umm...

Resident Evil 1 (DS; known as Deadly Silence)
Resident Evil 2 (N64, GCN)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (GCN)
Resident Evil Code Veronica (GCN)
Resident Evil: Gaiden (GBA)
Resident Evil REmake (GCN, Wii)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN, Wii)
Resident Evil 4 (GCN, Wii)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS)
Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS, Wii U)

...totally didn't have a huge role in Nintendo's history despite having almost the entire franchise on Nintendo consoles. Our last game for the series may have been Revelations, but we could even have Resident Evil 7 or Resident Evil 2 Remake on Nintendo's next console. So yeah...I don't see how you could have missed all of those titles. It looks like Resident Evil has had a long history with Nintendo.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Rift of the Nova wrote:

...totally didn't have a huge role in Nintendo's history despite having almost the entire franchise on Nintendo consoles. Our last game for the series may have been Revelations, but we could even have Resident Evil 7 or Resident Evil 2 Remake on Nintendo's next console. So yeah...I don't see how you could have missed all of those titles.

Okay let me correct myself. It's not that I think it's not huge enough to have a playable character, it's just that I don't think Resident Evil does not feel like a series highly associated with Nintendo's history for devs to consider a RE character, given the franchise's vastly different tone from other Nintendo franchises.

I always thought that was a franchise associated with Sony growing up, because of its mature and horror themes that Sony would allow in their franchises and other third-party games back in the PS1 days.

I know I have Crash and Cloud in my roster, but they at least represent something with Crash being a rival to Mario in the PS1 days and Cloud represent the huge transition of Square from Nintendo to Sony.

What does RE represent for Nintendo? I'm legitimately curious, I have no history with RE.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:04 pm

BluePikmin11R wrote:
Rift of the Nova wrote:

...totally didn't have a huge role in Nintendo's history despite having almost the entire franchise on Nintendo consoles. Our last game for the series may have been Revelations, but we could even have Resident Evil 7 or Resident Evil 2 Remake on Nintendo's next console. So yeah...I don't see how you could have missed all of those titles.

Okay let me correct myself. It's not that I think it's not huge enough to have a playable character, it's just that I don't think Resident Evil does not feel like a series highly associated with Nintendo's history for devs to consider a RE character, given the franchise's vastly different tone from other Nintendo franchises.

I always thought that was a franchise associated with Sony growing up, because of its mature and horror themes that Sony would allow in their franchises and other third-party games back in the PS1 days.

I know I have Crash and Cloud in my roster, but they at least represent something with Crash being a rival to Mario in the PS1 days and Cloud represent the huge transition of Square from Nintendo to Sony.

What does RE represent for Nintendo? I'm legitimately curious, I have no history with RE.

First and foremost; that first argument of "it's not huge enough to have a playable character" and "the franchise's vastly different tone" being reasons are absolutely horrible excuses. The Resident Evil series is the first horror series you'll think of when someone says "horror" or "survival horror", the second being Silent Hill. And secondly, we have had two characters in Super Smash Bros. already who've had series that are vastly different in tone than that of Nintendo's other franchises. You know what they are? Metal Gear Solid and Bayonetta! The fact that you believed that this game couldn't be in because it had a different tone than other Nintendo games is absolutely preposterous when we have had games like Resident Evil in terms of tone. While Bayonetta is in no ways serious, it's something you'd never think Nintendo would ever release, but they did it. You'd never think Nintendo would release a Call of Duty game, but they did.

Secondly, it is extremely simple to know what RE represents for Nintendo. Resident Evil represents Nintendo's first look at Survival Horror video games, and without Resident Evil, we may as well not have had Eternal Darkness, Fatal Frame, ZombiU, Slender or even Silent Hill on Nintendo consoles. So Resident Evil represents the acceptance of Survival Horror to Nintendo's library or games and opened up the gates for other companies to bring in their own horror games to Nintendo consoles. And then the game Resident Evil 2 represents one of the biggest milestones in N64's history and the history of porting video games, because it was the first video game ever ported to the Nintendo 64 that kept the original cutscenes instead of made them static images; before that, no other Nintendo game could be thought to have done that, so that's an extremely impressive feat!

And I'll have to address your thoughts on the franchise being represented in Sony. Sure, it's had its long share of games put on Playstation consoles, but there were Resident Evil games that have been exclusive to Nintendo consoles until they were ported. The biggest examples of these are Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero, which were never released on a non-Nintendo platform until 12 and 14 years later respectively! Then you've got The Umbrella and The Darkside Chronicles, which took their own long amounts of time to get on a Sony platform. But then there were Resident Evil games truly exclusive to Nintendo. Resident Evil Deadly Silence, Gaiden and The Mercenaries 3D.

So what I'm saying is, is that Resident Evil has had a huge history with Nintendo. It's almost as huge and as prominent as Mega Man, and definitely far more prominent than Street Fighter or most other Capcom series were. In fact, if we include no Street Fighter remakes, and the original series of Mega Man, Resident Evil would still top their libraries since Street Fighter has only 6 games on Nintendo consoles, Mega Man has 10 and Resident Evil has 12. So it's safe to say that Resident Evil has had an enormous past with Nintendo, mainly the consoles, and Resident Evil should be represented in Super Smash Flash 2 because of its history.

And Leon S. Kennedy or Chris Redfield could be the representative of Resident Evil because they're also the two most popular characters of the Resident Evil titles. And like I've said in countless other places in other times, there's so much those two could pull from the Resident Evil series that it's not even funny. To be honest, I just want one of them in. I'm just sick and tired of not seeing any Survival Horror game be represented in any Smash-related game.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:14 am

Rift of the Nova wrote:

First and foremost; that first argument of "it's not huge enough to have a playable character" and "the franchise's vastly different tone" being reasons are absolutely horrible excuses. The Resident Evil series is the first horror series you'll think of when someone says "horror" or "survival horror", the second being Silent Hill. And secondly, we have had two characters in Super Smash Bros. already who've had series that are vastly different in tone than that of Nintendo's other franchises. You know what they are? Metal Gear Solid and Bayonetta! The fact that you believed that this game couldn't be in because it had a different tone than other Nintendo games is absolutely preposterous when we have had games like Resident Evil in terms of tone. While Bayonetta is in no ways serious, it's something you'd never think Nintendo would ever release, but they did it. You'd never think Nintendo would release a Call of Duty game, but they did.

Secondly, it is extremely simple to know what RE represents for Nintendo. Resident Evil represents Nintendo's first look at Survival Horror video games, and without Resident Evil, we may as well not have had Eternal Darkness, Fatal Frame, ZombiU, Slender or even Silent Hill on Nintendo consoles. So Resident Evil represents the acceptance of Survival Horror to Nintendo's library or games and opened up the gates for other companies to bring in their own horror games to Nintendo consoles. And then the game Resident Evil 2 represents one of the biggest milestones in N64's history and the history of porting video games, because it was the first video game ever ported to the Nintendo 64 that kept the original cutscenes instead of made them static images; before that, no other Nintendo game could be thought to have done that, so that's an extremely impressive feat!

And I'll have to address your thoughts on the franchise being represented in Sony. Sure, it's had its long share of games put on Playstation consoles, but there were Resident Evil games that have been exclusive to Nintendo consoles until they were ported. The biggest examples of these are Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero, which were never released on a non-Nintendo platform until 12 and 14 years later respectively! Then you've got The Umbrella and The Darkside Chronicles, which took their own long amounts of time to get on a Sony platform. But then there were Resident Evil games truly exclusive to Nintendo. Resident Evil Deadly Silence, Gaiden and The Mercenaries 3D.

So what I'm saying is, is that Resident Evil has had a huge history with Nintendo. It's almost as huge and as prominent as Mega Man, and definitely far more prominent than Street Fighter or most other Capcom series were. In fact, if we include no Street Fighter remakes, and the original series of Mega Man, Resident Evil would still top their libraries since Street Fighter has only 6 games on Nintendo consoles, Mega Man has 10 and Resident Evil has 12. So it's safe to say that Resident Evil has had an enormous past with Nintendo, mainly the consoles, and Resident Evil should be represented in Super Smash Flash 2 because of its history.

And Leon S. Kennedy or Chris Redfield could be the representative of Resident Evil because they're also the two most popular characters of the Resident Evil titles. And like I've said in countless other places in other times, there's so much those two could pull from the Resident Evil series that it's not even funny. To be honest, I just want one of them in. I'm just sick and tired of not seeing any Survival Horror game be represented in any Smash-related game.

Ok, thanks for clearing things up. I'm still a bit skeptical, but I'll try to consider revamping my roster.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:45 am

MGN Username: blackking1700
To be fair I don't think BluePikmin was saying he shouldn't be added he was just asking about a character he didn't know about.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:34 pm

blackking1700 wrote:
To be fair I don't think BluePikmin was saying he shouldn't be added he was just asking about a character he didn't know about.

Well, even then, I don't think a simple explanation would help since to know a character and what their combat, weapons, skills, etc. are, you'd have to look at their source. I'd at least suggest he watch walkthroughs of some Resident Evil titles to know the gist of what the characters are, what they do, etc.

Although I did explain some important knowledge on the series itself and the history of it and Nintendo.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Rift of the Nova wrote:

well survival horror isnt important for nintendo and contrast a lot. the reason why snake was added is because sakurai did a favor to the creator of metal gear. and with bayonetta she s the most viable character of the poll( you know because they dont want shrek in the game)
a lot of RE games are ports, most of the games are made for play station. only a few are thinking first for be for nintenddo
leon is a wild speculation because he doesnt have many thing in favor of be in this game as you think

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Here's my thought's on OP's proposed newcomers be warned,wall of text incoming:
Geno- I'd honestly rather not have him since sure,I guess you could give him a moveset that emphasizes on projectiles but he's not really important to the series outside of maybe appearing in the first mario RPG which could also be applied to Mallow the crybaby. who,now that I think about it,actually has more moveset potential due to his weather manipulation.
Paper Mario-I'd be down with it but what would he really add aside from hammers and cosmic artifacts that would probably be relegated to his final smash,anyway?
Diddy kong-agreed.He's one of the most iconic DK characters so I'd say he's pretty likely.
K.Rool-I support this if only to shut up the people who still complain that he wasn't in sm4sh.IIRC he also has some gadgets to help differentiate himself from bowser,too.Although now we're kinda pushing it with characters from the marioverse.
Ganondorf-practically a shoe-in since the other 2 triforce bearers are playable.Hopefully he'll have a revamped moveset from the official smash games,though.
Skull kid-This could work if you got really creative and pulled from several sources.(Hyrule warriors maybe?)FS is pretty obvious,tho.
Mewtwo-Sure, why not?People were pretty upset at his removal in Brawl and him getting in sm4sh as DLC generated alot of hype so I'd be pretty happy with Mewtwo's return.
Lucario-absolutely yes.He has a very unique aura mechanic that differentiates him from other brawlers and is also one of the more popular monsters in pokemon to boot.
DeDeDe-Same situation as Ganny.He's far too iconic to not include,especially as we currently have Bandana Dee of all people in the game.
Wolf-While I never really supported his inclusion in sm4sh,I could see this happening solely due to his sheer popularity.His main issue is that he might end up being a semi-clone of fox.
Krystal-I definitely support this.Her staff from Star fox adventures alone gives her a huge amount of potential in moveset diversity.
Ridley-I was a supporter for him getting into sm4sh so I definitely support this so long as he has a decent moveset and doesn't look completely awkward.
Ike-Dear god no.Ike is way too flavor of the month, brings absolutely nothing to the table in terms of gameplay, nor does smash Ike even faithfully portray his abilities in his own game,and hell he doesn't even bring in anything from his home series that Marth doesn't already bring.I'm absolutely down for more FE representation but make it someone like Tiki(either loli or adult) or Anna.If we MUST have someone from fire emblem tellius what about Micaiah?No smash game has ever had a dedicated FE mage in it IIRC.
Lucas-I like Lucas.I really do but there's no real way to not make him a derivative of Ness.
Ice climbers-all of my yes because broken chaingrabbing.
ROB-He's an important part of Nintendo's history and is fairly unique so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him.Definitely not very likely,though.
Olimar-A highly unique character based on resource management from a beloved cult series?You bet I'm gonna support that.
Andy-It's been awhile since I've played the now dead advance wars series but what exactly does Andy do in the game besides commanding troops and maybe applying passive boosts?Like,what moveset potential does he even have?
Ray-Support.Smash needs more robots besides megaman anyway.
Knuckles-You can't have Sonic and Tails without Knuckles.It just wouldn't feel right. so I'd be surprised if he didn't manage to get in.
Shadow-Given how insanely often he gets requested, I'm fully expecting him to get in through sheer demand a la Luffy.
Terra-Not much to say other than I'm not really too keen on having 2 FF dedicated mages on the same roster.
Cloud-He's a SSF1 veteran and we already see how well he translated to official Smash so no complaints here.
Crono-If possible I'd love to see him if only to see how they'd translate all of his abilities from chrono trigger.
Zero-Zero's my favorite Megaman character and has tons of material to draw from so absolutely.
Ryu-Loved how they managed to make a seemingly generic shoto unique and would like to see how well that would translate to SSF2.
Simon-I'm more of a Soma Cruz kinda guy myself but considering that we already have a Castlevania stage,i'd say he's pretty likely.
Snake-Snake is literally the one character on the old roster that I'm fully expecting to return.
Rayman-Rayman comes from a verse so crazy that there's almost no doubt that he'd be super fun to play as.
Crash-basically bargain bin Sonic crossed with the Tazmanian devil.Yeah,I'm pretty indifferent towards Crash if you can't tell.
Banjo-Kazooie-I'd be down with this.He'd be an interesting take on the basic idea behind duck hunt.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:30 pm

yamnow wrote:
Rift of the Nova wrote:

well survival horror isnt important for nintendo and contrast a lot. the reason why snake was added is because sakurai did a favor to the creator of metal gear. and with bayonetta she s the most viable character of the poll( you know because they dont want shrek in the game)
a lot of RE games are ports, most of the games are made for play station. only a few are thinking first for be for nintenddo
leon is a wild speculation because he doesnt have many thing in favor of be in this game as you think

You surely are quite a downer, you know that? And your statement of survival horror not being important for Nintendo is only...half-true. See, Nintendo sees Survival Horror as just as important as other companies, or else we still wouldn't have had games like ZombiU, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater or even Slender: The Arrival, all on the Wii U. Nintendo has its limits, don't get me wrong, but it will do survival horror games, it allows developoers to put in those kinds of games.

Secondly, don't ever use those two excuses again when arguing about a character's potential for this particular game. The fact of the matter is, is that these two characters, Snake and Bayonetta, are drastically different for Smash in a sense that nobody really expected an M-Rated character to be in the series. And then come a character with legitimate guns to being in the series!

Thirdly, let me tell you that of the 12 games that have appeared on Nintendo consoles, the ones that started on Nintendo were:
Resident Evil: Gaiden, Resident Evil REmake, Resident Evil Zero, Resident Evil 4, The Umbrella Chronicles, The Darkside Chronicles, The Mercenaries 3D and Revelations.

That's 8 out of 12 games that started on Nintendo consoles. And keep in mind that outside of Gaiden and Mercenaries 3D, all of these games went on to be some of the most beloved Resident Evil titles to date, especially, REmake, Zero and 4, which are regarded as some of the best.

And lastly, Leon has everything in his favor to be in this game. Firstly, he's a character of a genre of games yet to be represented, and would definitely get the attention of a lot of people if made playable. Secondly, he's one of, ifn't the most popular Survival Horror protagonist to date; ask anyone who's played Survival Horror about any protagonist, and you'll either hear Leon or Chris's name come first. Thirdly, he wins the Nintendo Rule. Fourthly, he has things he can draw from from his games. And lastly, Leon's like Snake and Bayonetta in the sense that you don't see them coming at all due to their games being M-Rated, but then suddenly, boom, here they come bringing in an M-Rated character.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:14 am

12cheeper wrote:
Andy-It's been awhile since I've played the now dead advance wars series but what exactly does Andy do in the game besides commanding troops and maybe applying passive boosts?Like,what moveset potential does he even have?

Andy's moveset goes far beyond that. He can summon vehicular units like Artillery's (long-range units) and Tanks (direct combat units) in his moveset in addition to all the unique attacks he can do with his wrench. Also the things you mentioned about healing abilities and maybe using Infantry/Mechs as well. I wrote up an entire article about Andy in Smash Bros so you can see the moveset I made for him there...

http://sourcegaming.info/2016/06/28/ds-andy/

As for Advance Wars being a dead series it's not. Yeah, it's been gone for a very long time but Intelligent Systems continues to comment about the series in interviews and stuff.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... e_is_right

If Advance Wars was dead Intelligent Systems wouldn't talk about the series and instead they said they would reveal a new Advance Wars game when the "time was right". Methinks they're looking to revive AW on the NX but who knows really.

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 pm

SMX wrote:
12cheeper wrote:

Andy's moveset goes far beyond that. He can summon vehicular units like Artillery's (long-range units) and Tanks (direct combat units) in his moveset in addition to all the unique attacks he can do with his wrench. Also the things you mentioned about healing abilities and maybe using Infantry/Mechs as well. I wrote up an entire article about Andy in Smash Bros so you can see the moveset I made for him there...

As for Advance Wars being a dead series it's not. Yeah, it's been gone for a very long time but Intelligent Systems continues to comment about the series in interviews and stuff.

If Advance Wars was dead Intelligent Systems wouldn't talk about the series and instead they said they would reveal a new Advance Wars game when the "time was right". Methinks they're looking to revive AW on the NX but who knows really.

I thought that they stopped making advance wars games because the last couple of games sold like garbage?Also,that article is amazing because you're implying that an advance wars title has been in development for at least 2 years which was the maximum amount of possible total development time for Fire Emblem:Fates and yet they still haven't finished enough of this hypothetical advance wars game to officially announce it to the public.I also love how you're proposed moveset is basically advance wars:the character.(then again, Zelda's even worse and Marth is only slightly better so whatever)

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:20 pm

12cheeper wrote:
SMX wrote:
12cheeper wrote:

I thought that they stopped making advance wars games because the last couple of games sold like garbage?Also,that article is amazing because you're implying that an advance wars title has been in development for at least 2 years which was the maximum amount of possible total development time for Fire Emblem:Fates and yet they still haven't finished enough of this hypothetical advance wars game to officially announce it to the public.

Only Dual Strike sold poorly (Still did okay in NA). Days of Ruin did really well despite not having a Japanese release; selling as much as the GBA Advance Wars games.

I never said an AW game was in development. I just said that the series isn't dead because Intelligent Systems have made the comment that AW is still alive, noting that they would reveal a new AW game whenever it happens. I'm hopeful that maybe there's some sort of revival for the series on the NX but I never said that there was an AW game in development right now.

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Not like it really matters in a game like SSF2 where we actually do have characters from dead franchises( not counting mother which will never get another game or f-zero which has been dormant since f-zero gx.)Specifically I'm referring to chibi-robo and isaac.Not that I really mind but I doubt he's gonna get in anyways.I'd expect Dixie Kong before Andy tbh.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:52 pm
 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next