The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

[ 12 posts ] 
DSwift's BR App 
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
So, apparently patches count, so...let's give this another shot.

Name (aka Handle):
DSwift/CSWooly

How old are you?:

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):
I currently exclusively focus on Sora. I first mained him to work on my combo game and eventually just stuck with him as a full main. I've effectively been solo-maining Sora since August, but I first picked him up around May.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):
I play Smash 4. Robin is my main.
I play Brawl. Wolf is my main.
I play Melee uncompetitively. Mewtwo is my main.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
Assuming, SSF2 and house tournaments of about 8 people don't count, then none as of yet. Assuming the former only counts, I have attended four tournaments, however none of them gained particularly high numbers of participants, save for Hypest 14. Where I placed 7th out of 12. I don't attend many tournaments due to timezone issues and the fact that I run most of them.

When did you start playing SSF2?
Demo 0.6. I originally played because I found out you could play as :lloyd: , but then I went on hiatus and came back in 0.9a.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
I like Clock Town. Majora's Mask is a good game and I like the interesting layout of the stage. In terms of my favourite legal stage, I like Battlefield because my mains in Smash, save for Mewtwo, tend to favour this stage, especially Sora and Robin.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
Meta Knight. A valid case could be argued for Zero Suit Samus, but I feel Meta Knight is simply better due to his disjointed range, amazing recovery, fast dashing speed, amazing edgeguarding and fast KO moves like Down Smash. Additionally, he has a good combo game, both in the air and on neutral and he can juggle effectively with his up air.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
Sora. Before the most recent tier list, I thought Sora was the worst character in the game. Sora has few KO moves, abysmal range for a disjointed character, a poor recovery, a bad neutral that relies on him exclusively using dash attack, up tilt and flowdashing. Additionally, his combo game forces him to rely almost exclusively on openings to start combos and generally, the Sora player must be able to hold the momentum of the match.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
I would change Lloyd's Tiger Blade Aerials so that they don't entirely remove the landing lag from his aerials. Currently he can land with less landing lag than landing normally (0 frames)

What is your view on items in competitive play?
Absolutely banned. One random item can entirely change the course of a match, which could lead to an undeserved victory/loss.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
I have Skype.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.
I have been labbing with Sora a lot over the past few months. This has led me to gain a good understanding of the Sora metagame and I, with the assistance of Cruisin, created the Sora matchup chart for 0.9b. I also have experience organising tournaments so I am knowledgable on the system of tournaments and tournament legal. Additionally, I have written parts of a Sora guide which I am looking at completing fairly soon, again with Cruisin.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
Youtube Channel
YouTube Video:
Match vs Masky (I am the Sora)
I am a tournament organiser, running the Flash Royale series and running some of the Hypest Tournaments.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:56 pm
SSF2 Developer

Hey there!

If you could replace one Stage of the Anther's Counter-Pick list to improve players' general experience, what would it be? Why? Do you expect this change to have any significant impact on the Anther's meta-game, and if so, how? If you feel like the Counter-Pick list is fine as is, that's great, too.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:24 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Giant post incoming...
135 wrote:
If you could replace one Stage of the Anther's Counter-Pick list to improve players' general experience, what would it be? Why? Do you expect this change to have any significant impact on the Anther's meta-game, and if so, how? If you feel like the Counter-Pick list is fine as is, that's great, too.

Anther's Ladder wrote:
Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land 64
Tower of Salvation

Counterpicks:
Castle Siege
Jungle Hijinx
Mirror Chamber
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Dracula's Castle

I would add WarioWare to the counterpicks list.

WarioWare works similarly to Tower of Salvation. It's a small stage, with a high ceiling and unlike the latter stage, this stage has an array of platforms. Bevause of the stages small size and platforms, the stages can generally benefit characters with long range and/or disjointed hitboxes (The stage has been nicknamed KongWare for that reason). It also favours characters like Samus (easy missile cancelling because of the space between the platforms), and Bomberman (the range is helped by the small space between platforms). This can make it a decent enough counterpick for those characters.

The main reason this would improve player experience is because it allows them to gain knowledge of the benefit/drawbacks to the stage as a counterpick for their main. Many tournaments will run WarioWare, often in place of Mirror Chamber, with a notable example being Hypest. A lot of the pre-Anther's players will have a degree of experience with the stage and the benefits to their main, however it's likely that Anther's is the competitive starting point of many new players, so it may come as a shock to some players who've had no experience of the stage and how the matchups vary if it's counterpicked against them in tournament.

The most likely change to the metagame will stem from the nickname of the stage I mentioned. Kongware. I suspect that because of the small size and platforms, the following characters may benefit significantly:
:bomberman: (It has been called Bomberware before)
:donkeykong:
:marth:
among others. The Anther's metagame will likely lead to an increase in usage of these characters, especially Marth who may likely start seeing more usage based on his tier list position, and the potential for the other characters who are less common (namely :bomberman: ) to be used more often as potential counterpick characters.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:47 pm
BR Member

Sorry to sound horrendously impatient, but am I still being reviewed?

(Apologies for double posting)

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Sorry for the wait; your application is being reviewed, don't worry!

Next question!

The stagelist for the next set of questions is Anther's with your addition.

1. You are playing Sora, and you come up against a Fox in tournament. They will not switch. How do you imagine the striking process will go, assuming you strike first? Try to explain both your and your opponent's perspective.

2. Analyze the Sora-Fox MU in detail, including neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and anything else pertinent. Conclude your analysis with a matchup ratio indicating their relative ability to fight one another, such as 45-55 if Fox has a slight advantage or 80-20 if Sora crushes Fox.

Note that I don't really know which characters you're familiar with: I'm assuming you've probably played a couple Foxes in your time, but if you truly have no idea how to approach the questions (as I might if you ask me about Goku-Marth or something) feel free to say that and I'll switch the character. It's OK to not be an expert on every character, so you can get a pass on this round if you so wish and I can ask you about another common character.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:48 am
BR Member

Fox is not particularly familiar to me I'm afraid. I dropped my suggestions to you

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:55 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Do Naruto instead of Fox.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:46 am
BR Member

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
1. You are playing Sora, and you come up against a Naruto in tournament. They will not switch. How do you imagine the striking process will go, assuming you strike first? Try to explain both your and your opponent's perspective.

2. Analyze the Sora-Naruto MU in detail, including neutral game, punish game, offstage game, and anything else pertinent. Conclude your analysis with a matchup ratio indicating their relative ability to fight one another, such as 45-55 if Naruto has a slight advantage or 80-20 if Sora crushes Naruto.

1. For this particular matchup, the Naruto player requires a bait and punish playstyle, as Sora can deal with Naruto's projectiles in a variety of ways. Here's how I envision the striking process for Game 1:
Explanations: show
:sora: :
Ban Final Destination: This stage is beneficial to Naruto as he has an easy time playing neutral and setting up edgeguards. Sora hasn't got enough good tools to play neutral and he has to play in fear of a stray projectile. Additionally, Naruto is faster than Sora, so Sora is at risk of getting overwhelmed by Naruto.

:naruto:
The smartest play for the Naruto player would be to Ban Battlefield and Yoshi's Story as this removes the safe picks for Sora. Battlefield, whilst beneficial to Naruto, is Sora's one of Sora's best stages, and Sora can make the absolute most of this stage by using the platforms to do double Up-B's from the platfrom. Yoshi's Story is a similar playing field, as the low ceiling and close blastlines provide Sora with assistance in KOing, as well as a similar platform layout to Battlefield, make this stage very beneficial to Sora. The Naruto player would want to ban these stages in order to move the ball to his court and get an edge on the matchup.

:sora:
Sora is left with stages now that either benefit Naruto more, or benefit both with some compensation on Sora's end. Out of the stages left (PS3, SV, ToS, and DL), the Sora player will need to try levelling the playing field. To do this, he/she will need to Ban Tower of Salvation and Smashville. As Tower of Salvation and Final Destination have a similar layout, the reasons are very similar for banning them, due to then putting a larger focus on Neutral than any other stages. Smashville benefits Naruto immensely, as he can use the platform to set up using clone mines, as well as the greater focus on Neutral whilst cutting the benefit to Sora.

:naruto:
Naruto is left with a stage that will both benefit and hinder Sora, and a stage that can give Sora somewhat of a benefit. The most optimal pick for Sora would be Pokemon Stadium 3, so the Naruto player will most likely Ban Pokémon Stadium 3. Dream Land allows Naruto to still have a good stage, whilst it can help and hinder Sora at the same time, due to it's large size and platforms. Naruto can effectively perform clone setups here and combo well, whilst Sora is able to use the platforms but kill Naruto later than norma
l.

A condensed version of this is:
Sora will ban FD, ToS and Smashville
Naruto will ban BF, PS3 and YS
Game 1 will be played on Dreamland

The Sora/Naruto matchup is extraordinarily debatable, (and I believe my original ratio may be a bit off), but let's take a look:

Matchup Analysis Explanation: show
Neutral Game:
NARUTO WINS
Naruto wins the neutral game overall for the following reasons:
  • Naruto is slightly faster on the ground than Sora on the ground. This key difference in speed gives Naruto a better approach.
  • Naruto has four very strong projectile options, in Rasengan, Clones, Rasenshuriken and the Clone Mine, these can be troublesome to deal with.
  • Sora doesn't have many reliable approach options. He may have to rely on SH Flowmotion in order to get in, but this leaves him open to punishment.
Because Naruto is an average-faller, Sora can't rely on moves like his Up-Tilt or Dash Attack to reliably combo into themselves, and this leads his neutral game to consistently be looking for an opening. The Naruto player will be looking to bait an approach option for Sora and then punish them for their mistakes. Whilst Sora can deal with each of these projectiles, it either requires good enough timing or is outright situational. To elaborate:
Sora can DSmash Rasenshuriken to cancel it out, however, he has to be a significant distance away from Naruto in order to land it, otherwise the DSmash won't come out quick enough.
Sora can use an aerial to cancel a clone, but this can leave him open, especially if he's using Fair, which is arguably his most reliable method of doing this.
Sora can DSmash a clone mine to cancel it, but this requires him to be on the ground (of course) and it can be punished after the hitboxes end.
Because of this, Naruto can play a bait and punish game with Sora, where he can use the clone mines to bait Sora into approaching him and then punish with either a kill confirm into Rasenshuriken or just a string of moves.

Overall, Sora just has a hard time playing Neutral, and Naruto's ability to both zone and play really aggressively really hurts Sora as the Sora player will struggle to find an opening to start a combo from.

Punish Game:
TIED
Both characters have variable styles of punish. Sora's punishes are usually combos, considering the relatively high damage output of some of his attacks can lead a good Sora player to be able to get large amounts of damage off from a whiffed move or an opening of some kind. Naruto on the other hand can punish with various methods, ranging from a combo for the sake of building up damage to a clone that starts a combo to a kill confirm combo (for instance: UTilt -> Rasenshuriken). In this particular matchup, Naruto relies on a bait and punish game as Sora can outrange Naruto most of the time as well as build up spectacularly large amounts of damage on Naruto with a single combo. Naruto can overall punish harder than Sora can, however Sora has a more versatile kit off a punish. Both characters rely on punishes significantly, however Naruto can gain the edge simply on account of his higher speed and harder punishes. The punish game overall is in Naruto's favour though, as both characters can seriously gain a lot from punishes, however Naruto is simply better at punishing than Sora is.

Offstage Game - Edgeguarding:
NARUTO WINS
Both characters are good edgeguarders. Naruto can use his clone mine or his aerial Down-B to take out characters' double jump, he can meteor smash with his forward air, and he can use Rasenshuriken, however this can have a chance of missing. Sora can use Thundaga, USmash, Fair, and FSmash (on opponents recovering high).

Sora can use his USmash's windbox to mess up Naruto's recovery, he can use his Fair to knock Naruto far enough away from the stage so that he can't recover. He can use Thundaga to hit Naruto further offstage and even potentially KO, and he can FSmash is Naruto misses the ledge. Sora arguably has an easier time edgeguarding as Naruto can only protect himself reliably with a Rasenshuriken offstage, as it can stall his descent. Naruto can edgeguard using a projectile or a spike, the latter of which is especially poor for Sora, whilst the former can lead to a weak meteor or a hit that can knock out the double jump, often leading to death for Sora.

For breaking guards, and recovering, :naruto: has an easier time breaking :sora: 's guard simply because Naruto can entirely reset the edgeguarding game with a well placed Shadow Clone. Due to the backwards knockback, Naruto can potentially reset the offstage as he can displace Sora, sometimes enough to kill Sora due to sending him too far away to recover. Sora can also struggle with Naruto's guard as he can set up aerial Down-B clones, Up-B or even a Rasenshuriken offstage, whereas Sora can't do a huge amount about many of these without leaving himself open massively.

Overall, Sora only beats Naruto on recovery, but Naruto beats Sora everywhere else. The matchup is around 60:40

TL;DR:
Naruto wins Neutral Game
The Punish Game is tied. Naruto has more punish tools than Sora, but Sora gets more out of punishes.
Naruto wins Offstage, but Sora can recover slightly better than Naruto

VERDICT: 60:40

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 pm
BR Member

I'm bumping this to make sure it doesn't become completely irrelevant.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 am
BR Member

YouTube Video:

Bump.

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:42 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Thank you for applying to the Back Room! Your application has been accepted, and are now a part of the Smash Flash Back Room. The only thing you have to wait for is approval from a site admin to get you added to the usergroup. So don't change your name for the next little while, and this will hopefully be taken care within a day or two.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:50 pm
BR Member

Gotcha.

:lock:

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:57 pm
 [ 12 posts ]