The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 5 posts ] 
Mix Art and Spriting 
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I'd like to suggest mixing the Art subforum and Spriter subforum into a more general 'Art' forum.
McLeodgaming isn't really an Art-orientated forum so I don't really think it's neccesary to make the distinction between artistic crafts at this point.

So basically just throw Art and Spriters together in a forum that deals with all kinds of graphics and art (papercrafting, handcraft, traditional and digital drawing, pixel art, 3D modeling and misc. stuff)and maybe move all the tutorials to a subsection.

I understand that this'd be kind of an ordeal as there would be various topics you'd have to merge, which some people might want to discuss first, and the ruleset will have to adept. I'm willing to help out with the latter if neccesary.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:46 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Eh, I don't really think that's necessary. There are enough people who only do spriting or drawn art specifically that I feel like it's fine to keep them separate. I don't really see an upside to merging them. It's just merging them to merge them. If art was completely dead I would kind of get it a little more, but it's fine in my opinion.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:22 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
As of right now there are like 3 active contributors in the Art section or so?

In general I think that mixing the two will just make the art community here a bit more cohesive and makes organization potentional art-related events easier. Furthermore the Art section currently doesn't really cater to any craft outside of traditional and digital drawing.

I will agree that up to a certain degree it's also a matter of merging just to merge to make the forum easier to navigate but at the same time I don't really think there are really any good arguments not to merge them (except if the rest of the forum doesn't want it or required effort or so) either. People can keep just spriting regardless of what the subforum's name is.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:42 pm
Site Admin

What? In the last month there have been over ten threads with discussion and posts in them in the art section.

I don't believe merging them will promote any growth or cohesion, it'll just make a slightly larger singular group that is slightly harder to navigate with no potential upside. It would not be difficult to organize something art related under the current forum layout. The art section's description says anything art related, so if people are interested in posting something like papercraft there they are free to do so.

I don't even think it will make the forum easier to navigate. There are lots of users who are only interested in spriting, and lots of users who are only interested in the other forms of art, which is why they are split in the first place. There is enough activity in both groups to justify them being separate, and merging them would only be an inconvenience to someone who is only interested in one of those medium.

I'm gonna have to decline this idea. If there is someone who reads this conversation and agrees, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I don't think it's a good idea.

:lock:

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:13 pm
Site Admin

After a few people have messaged me with their ideas, I've decided to turn art as a whole into a new forum, with "art" as you now know it and "the spriters corner" being sub forums within that. That way the art community of MG has a central place where they're all together, but are able to cleanly split into their mini communities. We'll also be able to cleanly run art contests through this new area. I'll construct this area sometime today.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:31 pm
 [ 5 posts ]