The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:14 am

[ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 49  Next
Style Progress ft. Commissions Open! 

Not gonna bother making a separate post for such a small fix.

Anyway, CHALLENGER APPROACHING.
Image King.
I'm gonna say Arctic Wolf Man and leave it at that for now.

Next will probably be a sprite with different body type so I don't end up inevitably recycling a body frame. Something like Terran, with a much broader torso or something.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:33 am

The triumphant return of the Impudite.

Torso is obviously stylized to hell, but I think it came out pretty good.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:58 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I like it, the way you made the muscles looks super good.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 am

Steven wrote:
I like it, the way you made the muscles looks super good.

That's mostly you. It's almost a one to one from the original sprite, which was that base concept you made. The shading is mine, though, so I guess that's improving.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Slightly updated Cole, ¢o¢kier-than-he-really-should-be Reiciel*, Maki, and slightly updated newcomer King.
Still to come are Zoe and Jaunt, and a little down the road the new new guy.

*He also got a name change. Ziex is just a collection of letters, Reicio is Latin for 'To brave/reject,' making it actually meaningful and fitting to his whole rejection of sin thing. And I looooove using my name as much as possible.

Also, c*** is not a swear. Neither is c***.
Dammit.

Also, all my Neuropod stuff is gone.
Dammit.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:38 am

My problem with 'meaningful names': What parent knows their kid is going to be brave and reject sin, so they give them a Latin name that means that? Wouldn't they name him, like Christopher, if that was their wish for him, since Latin is sort of a dead language? There are various ways to give meaningful names, and 'just because' isn't a good one. Names don't determine destiny, in most cases. Meaningful names are rather corny most the time, and don't really fit in a world where some people have just regular names like Cole.

Some ways for a meaningful name to work:
*Coma with a side of amnesia patient is named Hope by a random person that found her, and hopes she be okay.
*Person rejects their old name for something more meaningful. Fred rejects his name and shall be called Bane, as he has just slain a Lich.
*A person is their name ie the daughter of Winter being named Snow, Blue is named so because of his blue hair.
*The world's laws of magic literally set destiny from the naming scheme. A dangerous and volatile thing, unless your world is mostly soft and fluffy. MLP's world works like this.

Of course, your world is your world so you can name things as you like, I'm just saying universal naming schemes are a thing and it might help in the long run to come up with one.

Also, is their a reason all of those characters have white hair? I think you mentioned something about only using blue, black, and white as a stylistic choice, but some of your character are going to start to run together if they all get the same body type and hair color, and even hair length, despite getting different clothes.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:40 am

Deciton_Reven wrote:
My problem with 'meaningful names': What parent knows their kid is going to be brave and reject sin, so they give them a Latin name that means that?
*The world's laws of magic literally set destiny from the naming scheme. A dangerous and volatile thing, unless your world is mostly soft and fluffy. MLP's world works like this.

It sort of works like MLP according to your explanation. Note how all the main character's names in CoEL end in El. It means Of God, in, you guessed it, Latin, and is included more often than not in Angel names. For example, Gabriel, Raphael, Barachiel, are all Archangels. Er is the same idea for Demons, Terran and Lucifer being the two you can see.
After dying on Earth and becoming an Angel, a new name is given to you. Not all are super meaningful, but it makes for a good naming convention. Joel, Rachael and Gael are all real names ending with it, while Jaciel and Demitriel are me just finding names that don't look or sound dumb. Jace and Demitri, what they would more often be called, are IRL names.

Also, while Cole is a real name, remember he uses ice powers. He's cold.

TLDR; it has canonical reason for being meaningful, Latin is angelic because religion, Cole is dumb joke.

Deciton_Reven wrote:
Also, is their a reason all of those characters have white hair? I think you mentioned something about only using blue, black, and white as a stylistic choice, but some of your character are going to start to run together if they all get the same body type and hair color, and even hair length, despite getting different clothes.

Short answer, I'm crazy.

At around the time a little after designing Maki, I realized A. They all had white hair just by coincidence. B. They all had a design based around either white or blue, and black undertones. Reiciel's blue shirt was actually just added recently. C. I just like the aesthetic. D. It's an easy codifier for who is the MC.
Barring the seventh, they all have radically different personalities and appearances, and they would look more varied and different if I had more skill and space as a spriter.
Cole is shorter, relatively serious and has pronounced eyes. This does not come across at all in the sprite...
Reiciel is really down to earth, focused on his job and has his goggles.
Maki is tallest, casual, fun loving and loves style, plus always has sunglasses/HUD.
Zoe is an expy of Robin in FE: Awakening, so she's mega tactics focused, and has the Raiden inspired goggle thing.
Jaunt is humble, derpy and kind of an idiot, and has either nothing or a hood.
King is lazy, ¢o¢ky as hell, and has a crown and sharp teeth.
7 is depressed and has a beard, as well as a scouter kind of thing.

TLDR; Cause I like it, easy identifying, actually radically different for small details.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Had to play with her design a bit to make sure her heart was very visible, but the only real thing that's different is she has a bit of an undershirt.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:51 am
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Pochi
I think that the torso looks kinda...weird

TwitterAsk
Kittenpuncher wrote:
imagine having sex with a clown though
instead of a dick he just has one of those flowers that shoots water out

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 am

Pochiman wrote:
I think that the torso looks kinda...weird

Probably something to do with the shirt and the length. Shortening it will probably help.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:22 am

ImageImageImageImage

Made some improvements on the anatomy with these guys. Mostly shortened torsos and lengthened legs.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:56 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Try not to do the same pose too many times. Other then that, I'm definetly seeing improvement.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Steven wrote:
Try not to do the same pose too many times. Other then that, I'm definetly seeing improvement.

Mostly just getting accustomed to the style ATM, as well as keeping the seven somewhat consistent with each other.

I'll forgo the two others for a while and try out some more dynamic poses, and possibly try for an animation.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Oh wow, this whole time I've been thinking you've been using two shades per color, when you're actually using three. A slight palette update might be an order, to either reduce your unnecessary colors or for the shades to be different enough to actually matter.

---

Taking a close look I think I can spot some other off things. Like, the light source. Even when creating a sprite as close as possible as I could manage to your style, I still didn't get where it was coming from. The crotches were very heavily shaded, but most other areas with something hanging over it weren't, and I just don't understand why.

The female character has some oddities on her. Like her right hanging piece of hair should probably be hanging over her shoulder, something easy to overlook if you draw the body after completing the head. Her bust is completely undefined, to the point where her chest jutting out makes her look like she has pecks instead of any kind of breast. Her 'heart'(?) is placed really far to her left, and when I did figure out what her breast were supposed to look like, it reads as if it is just implanted in her boob, rather than in/on her chest.

I still personally think your legs are a little short, but stylistically they're fine.

Character design is a whole other thing, but if you're happy with your characters, that's what really matters in the end.

Uploaded my attempt as well, mostly to feel like I'm not talking out my a**. (your two sprites in this picture are completely untouched) Obviously I did some things wrong (head size) but other things (bust definition) might be worthy to be looked into.

Attachments:
style-identify.png
style-identify.png [ 4.25 KiB | Viewed 1514 times ]

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'
Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:01 pm

-Sharpened contrast a bit.
-Crotch lightened(?) a bit.
-Fixed her hair.
-Added a bit more to the breasts. She's supposed to be more muscular than feminine, although having breasts is still necessary.
-Heart (Actual beating heart. It's a synthetic made of a mixture of science and magic.) moved and shrunk a tiny bit.
-Rounded out the magic aura. You didn't mention this, it just really kinda pissed me off.

Hope that makes it look a bit better. I'll go back to light sources and pants references when I have more time.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:28 am
 [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 49  Next