The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 2:45 pm

[ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Sandbag 

MGN Username: CraftGMC
Waifu: Random No. Generator
If an opponent powershields his bob-omb toss, there's a chance the bob-omb won't despawn and will just stay there on the ground (unsure if affected by gravity) repeatedly dealing minor damage only to sandbag due to it being reflected by a powershield (sandbag can reflect it back with another powershield, but it's kinda difficult)
Unfortunately, this is not a "landmine" tech since the bob-omb does not seem to be able to explode from damage or even from time, it simply despawns after a minute, what a shame.
So i guess i'll put this into the bug report thread.
(i used invincibility just so i don't keep dying over and over, but invincibility changes nothing aside from sandbag also taking the hit)

~-~-~-~-~ WALL OF EDIT (Feb 19th at 00:16 AM) ~-~-~-~-~

HEY, GUESS WHAT
YOU GUESSED IT

YET ANOTHER SANDBAG TECH
This one is however only useful in doubles

After seeing how rayman and sandbag can have infinite bob-ombs practically anywhere, i was curious if this same thing was possible with other characters, even if it's overall less effective.
lo and behold, it is possible!

Any grab with decent range that pulls Sandbag towards you can be used to make them drop the bob-ombs. Rayman's neutralB is possibly the best overall due to the speed, low knockback with a somewhat high angle (always keeping Sandbag close) and the fact it can be used mid-air
1: show
Image Image

However, grabs that pull you into Sandbag or make you latch onto them don't work, and the bob-omb will immediately explode instead of being dropped.

Normal attacks work just as fine too, if not better when it comes to the speed you can throw out the bob-ombs, but you must avoid connecting the hitboxes with the bob-omb aswell as have balls of steel
2: show
Image Image

Edit: Weak projectiles do the job just as well too, with Pit and Chibi probably being the better options as their projectiles are faster and aimable. but again avoid hitting the bob-omb
3: show
Image Image

~-~-~-~-~-~ SECOND WALL OF EDIT (Feb 20th at 02:12 AM) ~-~-~-~-~-~
Remember the bug where Sandbag prematurely drops his bob-omb if a different one explodes in the arena?
This is actually how to make him drop the bob-omb as an item instead of always exploding!
Bomb-drop 2: show

Alright, i think we can safely say Sandbag is the most broken character in all of SSF2
THE SANDBAG TECHS JUST NEVER COME TO AN END

Well, old friends, this is the day where everything will be archived for all to see and reminisce about.
This isn't a farewell, but rather a "See you later", as we move on to the next world

who'd've guessed my secondaries bit would have a new purpose!

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 pm

MGN Username: CraftGMC
Waifu: Random No. Generator
How about our Sandbag get the same treatment as Ryu and Waluigi with getting all the data stuff, eh?
...I was already regretting it before i started because i know how wacky sandbag is, but it was all in the name of data :sandbag: :sandbag: :sandbag:
I bet i'm gonna be forgetting something, oh well, it is what it is.

Before we get to his moveset, let's talk about his.. uh, gimmicks:
First and foremost, Sandbag cannot grab the ledge: show
secondly, Sandbag walk and dash are unconventional: show
A quick workaround to this is to repeatedly tap crouch (for walk), or mash crouch (for dash)
Image         Image

And now, HERE WE GO*voice crack*oOOoooooo.. (and boy will it take forever to load all the GIFs in this post)

Jab
Think Ganondorf's jab in the official smash games - It's slow, coming out at frame 8 and 9 and deals 9%, but oh god is it strong, with enough knockback to KO around 80% on ledge and 100% from the center of the arena (or an extra 15% to 20% with good DI) and has quite a large hitbox around Sandbag. One could surprise their opponent quite a bit with a simple jab since it's as strong as his FSmash and has a lower angle (but deals less damage)
: show

No DI

DI Up-Backward (in relation to where sandbag is facing)

Getup Attack
You might be confused why i'm including his Getup Attack, but that's because Sandbag is able to fall on the ground without needing to take a hit! which makes his Getup Attack a very interesting and niche option as an attack.
Anyways, this move deals 6% and little knockback (enough base knockback to tumble at 0%, but very low knockback growth), being active on frames 12 to 14 and having 25 frames in total, and invincibility on frames 1 through 14.
However, because Sandbag has to "tumble" against the ground in order to do so, you have to deal with at least 12 frames of lag when landing on the ground (like as if you missed a tech) until you can use his getup attack.

Forward Tilt
Deals 13% and is active on frames 7 - 8 (but the second frame's hitbox doesn't quite change to match the animation), with a little bit of range and sends at a somewhat dangerous semi-spike angle, killing about 25% later than his Jab

DI Down-forward, No DI, DI Up-Backward

Up Tilt
Deals 9% with moderately low knockback, decent as a combo starter and as an out-of-shield option thanks to the move hitting as soon as frame 5, however it lacks some horizontal range and stretches sandbag's hurtbox quite a bit during startup.
Oh, and it reaches above platforms.
Image         Image

Image         Image

Down Tilt
Oh my, what a move we have here.. first off, the move comes out FRAME 3 and lingers up to frame 8, dealing 10% and enough base knockback to send the opponent tumbling at 0%, setting up for his powerful aerials

Secondly, this move can be easily edge-cancelled (his other tilts can also be cancelled, but this one is the easiest to do so), allowing you to completely ignore the endlag while keeping the momentum in the air.
Image         Image

Thanks to the move dealing at least 10% and lingering for a few frames, it can be used to clank with several attacks and projectiles! (bless devs for fixing clanking projectiles, this indirectly buffed sandbag quite a bit)
clank: show
Image         Image         Image

Dash Attack
Quite similar to his down tilt, but hits wayyy harder, dealing 14% and killing at 80% - 100%, being active at frame 6 until frame 10, however this move also has a painful amount of endlag (29 frames!!). Thankfully, just like his down-tilt, it can be edge-cancelled to completely skip all the endlag, with the added bonus of making you zoom in the air faster than an edge-cancelled Down Tilt when done early.
Image         Image

Because of how much endlag the move has, you'll most likely only use it in platform/ledge shenanigans
Image         Image

(Before getting to his Smash Attacks, be aware that i will count the initial "charging" animation as part of their frame data, which adds 3 startup frames to all smash attacks)

Forward Smash
Decently strong and deals at least 16.7% damage, with hitboxes active on frames 10 through 13 while sandbag yeets launches himself forward, without losing any strength at all, killing at around 80% on ledge.
On top of that, for whatever goddamn reason, HE HAS 2 INVINCIBILITY FRAMES DURING STARTUP (frames 4 + 5)

Invincibility frames

Down Smash
Deals at least 9.4% damage on both hits, dealing a total of 18.8% damage and somewhat high knockback. The first hit coming out on Frames 13 to 15, and the second hit showing up on frames 16 to 18
The first hit is able to meteor smash opponents as soon as an average of 22%, and reaches above platforms, but does not actually reach under the ledge, only on it.
The second hit throws at a semi-spike angle with somewhat decent knockback, which can stack with the first hit's knockback to create a disgusting spike angle

Image         Image

Oh and, should Sandbag get hit during the move, he'll actually move back to his original position during knockback, since he doesn't actually "jump", but rather animates to look like so.
gif i forgot to resize: show

Up Smash
Deals 8.35% damage on both hits, for a total of 16.7%. The first hit comes out frame 6 until 12 and has set knockback, while the second one comes out on frame 16 until 20 with moderate knockback. this is probably his weakest smash attack in terms of killpower, but you keep your momentum during the move and are left airborne, which means not only you have a liiittle bit more control over the move, but you can jump away before the opponent tries to punish with a grab or a smash attack if you didn't land onto a platform.
And it still has a bit of combo potential too because of the first hit having set knockback, though just a bit..
(actually not going to bother with the DI angles on this one.. sorry :sandbag:)

Also, this is his only smash attack that can be done mid-air! (by sliding off the edge mid-charge)
aerial up-smash: show

Neutral Aerial
If you're not interested in starting a combo, it's quite useful as a "get off me" aerial, coming out as soon as frame 3 and lingering until frame 16 (with the strong hit only being on frames 3 and 4, dealing 11% and then 6% after that), and autocancelling as soon as frame 11, with the move in total taking 20 frames.
Also useful to catch dodges and rolls due to how long it stays active, while also being a kill/combo confirm (like any late-hit NAir)
DI Angles are Down-Forward, No DI, Up-Backward
Image         Image

Image         Image

Curiously, if you land on the ground at the same time you hit an opponent, the move will deal the same damage and knockback as if it were an early hit no matter what moment of the move was it.
Another thing i've found out is, this move can jab-reset downed opponents up until 70 - 93% damage depending on the opponent's weight (Plus, with how move staleness currently works, this "condition" will also increase if you use NAir more often!)

Forward Aerial
Deals 11% damage, with relatively strong knockback that sends at a semi-spike angle and has frighteningly fast startup (Active on frames 4 and 5, but only autocancelling at frame 10), able to kill at around 80% on ledge, basically your main kill move while in the air.
DI Down-Forward, No DI, DI Up-Backward
Also, you can Wall-Of-Pain with FAir if you gather enough momentum
wall of pain: show

Up Aerial
Deals 9% damage and has relatively weak knockback, but it's a very quick move, with 14 frames in total, being active as soon as frame 3 directly in front of Sandbag and active up to frame 7 directly behind and slightly below him, with an autocancel as soon as frame 6, and even without it, the move comboes into all of his aerials extremely easily (Except for Down Aerial, in which either the opponent has to tumble, or the aerial has to be autocancelled).
Quite a great kill confirm move aswell
in relation to where Sandbag is facing: No DI, DI Forward, DI Backward

Back Aerial
Like his Up Aerial, deals 9% and a bit weaker knockback, and only hits directly behind and on Sandbag, but oh my god is it really fast, only having 9 frames in total (just under one third of a second!), and also active as soon as frame 3 to frame 4 with an autocancel as soon as frame 6. Along with Up Aerial, it is extremely useful in combos due to its insane speed and low knockback, and like Up Aerial, can be used as a form of kill confirm.
In relation to where sandbag is facing: DI Down-Backward, No DI, DI Up-Forward

Image         Image

Down Aerial
His slowest aerial in terms of lag (A total of 19 frames, one frame "faster" than NAir in total, but only becomes active during frames 10 and 11), but it is also his strongest attack (aside from his Bob-Ombs and a charged forward smash), dealing a whopping 19% damage with immense downwards knockback and a slightly misleading (in a good way for sandbag) amount of range.
Surprisingly, despite being laggy in startup, it still can be done out of his shorthop!
Oh, and it reaches under platforms (and therefore, ledges too!)

Image         Image

Image         Image

Oh boy, even his grab & throws have a bit of uniqueness, so i have to talk about them..
Grab Range: show
Frame 4

Frame 5
Sandbag's grab actually has 2 active frames, with the second active frame having much more range than the first one. Which makes me wonder whether or not Sandbag's grab counts as a tether grab..

Back Throw: show
No DI
Image         Image

DI Down-Backward (in relation to where sandbag is facing)
Image         Image

DI Up-Forward (in relation to where sandbag is facing)
Image         Image
Deals 9% and throws at a high semi-spike angle. As for the knockback, think of Ness' backthrow - It has little base knockback but has a lot of knockback growth, being able to kill at around 80% on ledge or 115% from the center of the stage (with no DI)

Forward Throw: show
No DI
Image         Image

DI Up-Backward
Image         Image

DI Down-Forward
Image         Image
Deals 13% and throws at a somewhat higher angle than Back-Throw. Possibly the strongest forward throw in the game in terms of base knockback, but still has little knockback growth. Can be useful if you want to set up for edgeguards early on.

Up Throw: show
No DI
Image         Image

DI Backward
Image         Image

DI Forward
Image         Image
Deals 11% and moderate knockback, and like the name implies - it throws the opponent upward, this throw has very little endlag and can set up for many of his aerials
If they DI Backward (in an attempt to stay onstage) at earlier percentages (before 50% on average fallers, or 80% for fastfallers. this does not work on floaties!), it can combo into his Down Smash, which is pretty handy since everyone already DI's in against DThrow -> DAir to survive, while DSmash sends at a nasty angle when both hits connect

Down Throw: show
No DI
Image         Image

DI Backward
Image         Image

DI Forward
Image         Image
Deals a total of 17% (4% + 13%) with overall low knockback. This throw is his most "special" throw because
1: it has absolutely no endlag and leaves you airborne, meaning you can immediatelly go for a kill with DAir or FAir, or start combos with BAir and UAir (You'll still have to guess the opponent's DI however)
2: Because it has absolutely no endlag, you can buffer a Down Special (which we will soon talk about) to be able to perform a chaingrab, or to be able to do a grounded move while the opponent is still tumbling

And now the stuff you can do with his throws:
Down throw chaingrab n stuff: show

Image         Image
upthrow down smash: show
Image         Image
Even if they get too far for Down Smash, you have enough time to double jump and do whatever you wish
Additionally, all of his grabs can be edge-cancelled, whether you like it or not, this opens up for even more gimmicks that can be used to confuse the opponent
grab release: show
Image         Image

Here comes the good stuff..
Neutral Special (Capsule Spawn)
Sandbag stands in place (If he's mid-air, he will be helpless during the move) and bend the laws of the universe as he then spawns a capsule from within him. it takes Sandbag 30 frames to spawn an item, but the move takes 39 frames in total.
Because the item is a Capsule, if you have any items enabled (not to be confused with item spawn being enabled/disabled), they will spawn from the capsule once it gets destroyed.
And it has a chance to explode too, which deals a surprising 32% damage in total (8.5% from being hit by the capsule, 23.5% from explosion), and is able to kill at around 50% on ledge.
Image         Image

Since the Capsule is an item, obviously you can do whatever things involve items (throwing items during roll/dodge, aerials while re-grabbing an item..)

Down Special (Sanddash)
Before anything else. No, this is not a Counter
not a counter, okay guys: show
With that out of the way.. So what is sanddash?
Let me take an image from the official MG Discord and..
what is sanddash: show
bless you, Bedoop. :sandbag:
This move is basically the holy grail for Sandbag's techs and gimmicks aswell as a workaround for his poor mobility. It's pretty much his own version of the Melee Wavedashing (hence the name, the animation even looks like it) and mimicking the directional air-dodging (Unfortunately no invincibility frames) as a movement option.
As explained in the picture, Sandbag is able to can cancel it into pretty much anything (other than another DownB) while keeping the momentum (In the case of Side Special, he keeps the momentum only until he leaps, and in the case of Up Special, he only keeps horizontal momentum)
sanddash sideways on ground: show
Sanddash sideways on air: show
If you land on the ground in the middle of the animation (but not quite at the very start or near the end), Sandbag will be downed, allowing you to use his getup attack without needing to get hit!
sanddrop: show
Fun fact, you can still do an upward/sideways sanddash when performing a sanddrop, like with Sora's flowmotion cancels
Plus, there is a tech where you can Sanddash twice:
You shorthop and perform a Sanddash after the jumpsquat frames, then sanddash upwards after you touch the ground. The game registers your Sanddash as being used since the first frame, and not after the "fling", and touching the ground refreshes it, allowing you to use it twice!
You can use Sanddrop to make the Double Sanddash tech sliiiiiightly easier if you can't get the spacing right, but you still have to be quick about it.
Double sanddash: show

Side Special (Sandgrab)
Sandbag leaps forward and grabs whoever gets in the way (and can be used as a recovery move, as sandbag rises upward slightly), should he connect with an opponent, he will latch onto them and fling them forward while also rising upwards, dealing 6% damage. The command grab comes out frame 8 and lingers until frame 19.
Should he whiff the grab, he will fall down for a bit before you're able to do anything else (In total, the move has 32 frames, autocancelling as soon as frame 27)
Anyways, this move is able to kill on ledge at around 130%, which is.. not good
On the upside, you can just do it offstage out of a combo to kill earlier :sandbag:
Image         Image

Image         Image

If he lands on the ground during the move (which can happen as soon as frame 15), the move changes into Sandbag doing a front flip to stand upright after landing, which has a hitbox on frames 14 and 15 and deals 6% aswell, autocancelling as soon as frame 17, with a total of 28 frames if sandbag does not land on ground afterward
Oh yeah and in Battlefield (and arenas with lower platforms), it can reach above platforms

Up Special (Bob-Omb Toss)
Ah, saving the best for last.. this move is pretty much a prime example of "If I'm going down, I'm taking you with me!", almost always resulting in a Sacrificial KO when sweetspotted.
Anyways, it takes Sandbag 4 frames to spawn a Bob-Omb, and at least 13 frames for the bob-omb to be able to explode from direct contact (can explode immediately upon spawning if it gets hit by something), and 28 frames for it to naturally explode on Sandbag (with only 1 active frame, holy crap). And this move has pretty much no endlag (technically 2 frames of endlag if you have invincibility), due to Sandbag taking knockback as a result of the explosion.

So, what about the kill power? Well, it depends on whether or not you sweetspotted the move, and by sweetspotting the move, i mean having the bob-omb explode due to colliding with a hitbox/hurtbox that isn't Sandbag's, or when Sandbag ends up actually dropping it, instead of animating like so (which does the true bob-omb item's damage and knockback, dealing 27% and killing as early as 25% on ledge, or 45% from the center of the stage)

And the "sourspot" is when the Bob-Omb naturally explodes on Sandbag (Dealing 18% and having mostly vertical knockback, KO'ing off the top at average 85% - 95%)
The sweetspot is obviously what you'll be going for, however be aware that it will still deal recoil damage, which means you'll most certainly end up performing a Sacrificial KO when over 45% damage.
Image         Image

So how can Sandbag survive the dreaded bob-omb? Easy: by teching against a wall/ceiling (notably the ledge, which makes this move grant Sandbag an infinite recovery)
teching: show
Plus, if done correctly, this move can absolutely demolish recoveries that are low enough for sandbag to tech against the ledge
oh no oh god oh frick: show
Image         Image

Image         Image

If sandbag gets hit (or grabbed) during this move, he will drop the bomb as a thrown item (assuming it didn't connect with a hitbox), which is another form of "sweetspotting" the move, making it useful as a "pseudo-counter" of sorts (there are certain circumstances in which Sandbag drops the bob-omb directly below him however, instead of releasing it above)
Image         Image

Now, let me tell you: There is a way to drop the bob-omb without getting exploded.
First, you MUST start the move while mid-air to be able to perform this tech.
Second, Sandbag has to have enough momentum to slide off an edge in order to drop the bomb.

Bomb Slip: show
Make sure you start the move mid-air! or else this won't work

Image         Image

Sandbag can also drop the bob-omb as a normal item too, however it's extremely tricky to do so, and while i'm close to finding out a way to make this tech work without having the opponent do it for me (or sandbag getting 'sploded), i don't think i'll be able to unveil such dark arts before the forums eventually close, so have this little unfinished piece:
So close, yet so far, alas this discovery cannot be concluded in here: show
Image         Image

And that concludes the final data dump for the SSF2 forums!

Well, old friends, this is the day where everything will be archived for all to see and reminisce about.
This isn't a farewell, but rather a "See you later", as we move on to the next world

who'd've guessed my secondaries bit would have a new purpose!

Last edited by CraftGMC on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:23 am

MGN Username: T-Permutation
Currently Playing: Parsec and sometimes Fightcade.
Archived for the eternity, lab monster.

Good times at helping this great community
My discord: TheGodTierCeviche#0303

Also join Zimbax's discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/eevq7YJ

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:58 pm

MGN Username: moGi
Currently Playing: MGR:R, GE3, etc MHXX
Waifu: Lancer Arthuria P.
You did great Craft.

black keys will be removed in the future anyways

*sniff*

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:09 am