The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:49 pm

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next
Black Mage 

MGN Username: riplip
Black Mage is one of my two favorite characters to play alongside Ichigo.

What I love about Black Mage is that when you fully charge a smash, it becomes an ultimate. This spruces up the gameplay so much and it makes it so fun to play him. his kit has so much to offer and is honestly a rewarding experience to even play him. It is just pure excellence to find a 1v1v1 match and 1v1v1v1 to play him in. His full-charged smashes unravel the fabric of the match for every side.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 am

MGN Username: Drarky
Currently Playing: SSF2, Starbound
Waifu: Lenna Tycoon
Corvid Crow wrote:
TheRebornBowser wrote:
Or use Fox

Or use Marth

Why Marth?

ImageImageImageImage

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:46 am

MGN Username: ShadowAssasin2600
riplip wrote:
Black Mage is one of my two favorite characters to play alongside Ichigo.

What I love about Black Mage is that when you fully charge a smash, it becomes an ultimate. This spruces up the gameplay so much and it makes it so fun to play him. his kit has so much to offer and is honestly a rewarding experience to even play him. It is just pure excellence to find a 1v1v1 match and 1v1v1v1 to play him in. His full-charged smashes unravel the fabric of the match for every side.

Agreed.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:36 pm

MGN Username: Corvid_Crow
Currently Playing: With nice hens out there...
Drarky wrote:
Corvid Crow wrote:
TheRebornBowser wrote:
Or use Fox

Or use Marth

Why Marth?

Cause I think Marth bodies BM better and does so way more consistently than Fox can

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Does he really? BM has good zoning tools, the tools to deal with Marth's recovery, and decent combos, while Marth has trouble edgeguarding.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:45 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Does he really? BM has good zoning tools, the tools to deal with Marth's recovery, and decent combos, while Marth has trouble edgeguarding.

Basically this. I do find it to be a MU that BM loses, but not by a lot.

ImageImageImageImage

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Drarky wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Good marth's can edgeguard black mage well

bm can space well but marth can space better, and he gets more reward off of it, and he combos you harder than you can do to him

:ichigo: :gameandwatch: :isaac: :bowser: :luigi: :lloyd: :chibirobo: :bomberman: :metaknight: :megaman: :donkeykong: :sonic: :samus: Image Image

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:13 am

Corvid Crow wrote:
Drarky wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

bm can space well but marth can space better, and he gets more reward off of it, and he combos you harder than you can do to him

Max distance Warp can't be punished by Marth without him SDing, and Marth can't space better than Meteor. Not only that, but Marth options to approach are not exactly scary for BM, so even if he combos harder, he won't be getting those combos that often.

ImageImageImageImage

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Drarky wrote:
Corvid Crow wrote:
Drarky wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Max distance Warp can't be punished by Marth without him SDing, and Marth can't space better than Meteor. Not only that, but Marth options to approach are not exactly scary for BM, so even if he combos harder, he won't be getting those combos that often.

Max distance warp doesnt matter much when he can just read your teleport and hit you before you can grab ledge or land

Marth is fast enough to get around meteor with relevant ease

I do agree with you about marth's approach being not the best but ur still gonna take around 30+ every time he hits you in neutral while you would be insane to get the same amount of damage as consistantly as marth can

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 am

Corvid Crow wrote:

Max distance warp doesnt matter much when he can just read your teleport and hit you before you can grab ledge or land

I do agree with you about marth's approach being not the best but ur still gonna take around 30+ every time he hits you in neutral while you would be insane to get the same amount of damage as consistantly as marth can

Uhh...

UThrow>UAir>UAir does 27% at the very least, and it can start some pretty powerful juggles. Then there's also Stop shenanigans.

The Warp thing I don't quite understand, since if he hits you, unless Marth uses DTilt (which is not exactly a scary move) or kills you, he's going to send you upwards, which lead to a lot of mix ups for the BM (Stuffing with meteors, trying to reach the stage, you can even risk Haste shenanigans if he fails to space it's moves). And that's a lot more than what Marth can do if the BM decides to edgeguard him.

Also, Marth is fast while accelerating. If you force him to stop and turn around in the middle of the air, it will take him a while to start moving backwards, and this is a huge thing since this means that Marth has no way to safely use FAirs without getting hit by the meteor, therefore killing it's momentum and combo oportunity. And that's if he touches the Meteor before release. If you add the KB of the meteor while thrown, it will cost him a lot of stage control, and that means that the flow of the match will come back to neutral, exactly what you want as BM.

Yes, Marth will get a lot of combos if he catches you, but that's why the game is to not get caught in one of those. It's easier said that done, hence the reason I find this MU to be like 60-40, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. BM has a lot of tools to deal with Marth's moveset.

ImageImageImageImage

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 pm

Drarky wrote:
Corvid Crow wrote:

Uhh...

UThrow>UAir>UAir does 27% at the very least, and it can start some pretty powerful juggles. Then there's also Stop shenanigans.

The Warp thing I don't quite understand, since if he hits you, unless Marth uses DTilt (which is not exactly a scary move) or kills you, he's going to send you upwards, which lead to a lot of mix ups for the BM (Stuffing with meteors, trying to reach the stage, you can even risk Haste shenanigans if he fails to space it's moves). And that's a lot more than what Marth can do if the BM decides to edgeguard him.

Also, Marth is fast while accelerating. If you force him to stop and turn around in the middle of the air, it will take him a while to start moving backwards, and this is a huge thing since this means that Marth has no way to safely use FAirs without getting hit by the meteor, therefore killing it's momentum and combo oportunity. And that's if he touches the Meteor before release. If you add the KB of the meteor while thrown, it will cost him a lot of stage control, and that means that the flow of the match will come back to neutral, exactly what you want as BM.

Yes, Marth will get a lot of combos if he catches you, but that's why the game is to not get caught in one of those. It's easier said that done, hence the reason I find this MU to be like 60-40, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. BM has a lot of tools to deal with Marth's moveset.

yea 27% from 0 where as marth gets around 30% from hitting you from 0-to 90, uthrow uair isnt even a confirm past 50% against marth because he can di the throw away and punish you if you try to follow up

Look if black mage is offstage, and he warps as far as he can, marth can cover every option either for more damage or for another edgeguard
Unless you are actually out of the camera than marth can just read your meteor and hit you with a fair or bair before you can release it, meaning you are just going to get more damage
and if you think of warping closer to the stage, you are going to eat a tipper bair or dair and thats usually death at 100%
I still agree that BM edgeguards him better but the fact is that the meta for edgeguarding BM is so underrated and characters like marth can really give him trouble off the stage

Marth is overall faster than BM is, if he sees you charging a meteor he really has two options
1. if hes too far just jump away from it or shield
2. if hes close enough challenge it with his disjoints, worst case scenario he trades with meteor and hit you, best case for him is that he hits you and negates the hitbox of meteor 1 with his sword

Also in a matchup where you're constantly fearing the overall superior range and mobility of marth i dont think neutral is what BM wants instead of controlling the entire stage and making sure that Marth has to take risks in order to approach or deal damage, something he really doesnt have to deal with in the neutral

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Eji1700 wrote:
As someone who's trying to learn black mage, can I get some basic ideas on what his gameplan is? Here's what i've gotten so far-

Stop- useless except for projectile reflection, or if you can get a charge(best time seems to be after KO or maybe a small one at spawn?). I still need to test what sort of punish you can get off common charge levels.

Haste- combo/punish fodder due to the down time.(i'm surprised at how much worse it is this version).

Meteor- seems better in air than on the ground? Great approach/pressure tool in that case, ok zoning on ground?

Teleport- My main thought's were 1. It's awful for recovering against an opponent, but awesome for getting back after aggressive edge guarding. Kinda screwed if you get knocked off, but can really commit to chasing/gimping if you get them. 2. Maybe some mild gimmicks with grounded tp into haste/followup on platform levels.

A/Ftilt/Dtilt/Utilt- all decent spacing tools with significant knockback.

Dsmash- Almost completely worthless? It seems atrocious in basically every category. Am I missing something? New charged form is meh(better, but still meh), since I feel like you're better off just charging a stop.

Fsmash- Pretty bad. The charge seems predictable and takes forever and the regular has tremendous windup for really eh payoff. I

Usmash- The absolute worst supercharge as far as I can tell(i've never figured out a way to land this besides high stop levels), but the normal smash is actually very very good, and seems like his go to kill move.

Nair- surprising damage potential. Good close quarters option.

Fair- feels worse with the new engine, but still easily one of his best options and main combo tools(I think?).

Bair- Another awesome move. Reminds me of pits bair.

Uair- It does what it needs to, but seems kinda meh.

Dair- Feels a LOT worse. Its more in line with other sweet spot moves where if you miss the sweet spot you get very little, but unlike those moves the payoff isn't instant, or even guaranteed. I also have yet to figure out a way to combo into it at all which really hurts. Thankfully the hitbox is huge, but one of my main strats pre b version was chasing and looking for good dair's to kill, or landing a dair into throw to setup the second spike. Neither seems very good now.

Dash- Seems really really bad(and did it get worse in the new patch?)

Throws- Forward was mostly to setup the second dair hit, down seems good, back feels pretty garbage, up might have combo potential, but i've yet to be able to do much.

Combos- i'm having input issues(can't shorthop easily with my current setup for some reason), so I've yet to really find anything outside of stop and shorthop fairs. I'm guessing theres more?

So yeah that's basically my breakdown as is. I feel really awkward because his air game seems to say "get in there" but almost all of his specials are mid/long range tools, and the awful smashes(besides up) doesn't help. Anyone care to share some basic strategy?

Personally I like black mage as he is. Good edge guard while u smash d air and awesome spacing. But he does need buffing. But that's none of mine bissines.

Mains
:blackmage:
:goku: :sora:
:peach:
secondairs
:chibirobo: :tails:
:mario:

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:42 am

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
Why did you quote someone from page 3?

Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:14 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
What noticeable changes did BM get in the Ssmash con build?

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 pm

MGN Username: thebeep41
Currently Playing: Void Els, BnS, AK, DFO, GA2, and SSF2
Haste has been revamped (you can see the new haste by checking the first few scenes of SSF2 Beta's Direct), Meteor looks better now but no real changes to it

"Because if you were truly tired of it, you would've done something about it."

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
:idea: :ichigo: :chibirobo: :captainfalcon: :link: :bomberman: :sheik: :idea:
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:39 pm
 [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next