The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:59 pm

[ 11 posts ] 
Goku moveset pitches 

MGN Username: ButterMosaic
In case you get the wrong idea; this isn't a thread purely made to beg the devs to add some irrelevant transformation just to make him OP. Stuff like that should be subjected to quarantine by mods. But that's not the topic I'm trying to convey.

I've had a personal gripe with Goku's moveset for the longest time, which actually goes back to this thread where I tried to add some unnecessary Lucario aura gimmick that changed his moveset, which doesn't add to his character. What I'm trying to say is that SSF2 Goku does not feel like the Goku I'd see in his own series. Those punches thrown at the speed of light, those really flashy ki effects: either severely toned down, or outright absent. So I spent the last couple of days fooling around on how I can make Goku not feel like a cop-out fighter with the Kamehameha wave shoe-horned as his neutral-b. This thread is gonna be one hell of a read, so please bear with me.

Note: these are moves that I want changed, or expanded upon. So not every part of Goku's moveset was changed.
Normals

Jab:
A staple Dragon Ball attack. Goku will still keep the first two hits of his old jab.

Tilts:
A very heavy kick with enough knockback to kill reliably, if not a little slow. Inspired by SSGSS Goku's grounded heavy attack from FighterZ.

Click to expand thumbnail

A knee attack aimed at the air, making it useful for anti-airs and starting combos. Inspired from the second hit of Base Goku's light combo from FighterZ.

A straight crouching kick used to start or extend combos. Inspired from all 3 Goku's (SSJ, SSGSS, and Base) crouching medium.

Smash attacks:
A short Kamehameha wave fired at point blank range. Think Mewtwo or Lucario's f-smash. Very slow, but can kill very early.

Grabs:
Makes more sense to headbutt 'em than to punch with the same hand your grabbing with (TAKE NOTES, NARUTO).

Kill Bill? A reliable kill throw.

Goku raises two Ki blasts under the opponent to launch them in the air. A reliable combo starter on fast fallers.

Goku fires a barrage of ki blasts on his opponent while they're on the ground. The recoil of the ki blast shot leaves Goku in the air, but a reliable combo starter regardless.

Aerials
Loosely based off of Goku's anti-air heavy in FighterZ.

Based off of Goku's light combo in the air in FighterZ. The 2nd hit of the move has the possibility to combo into f-air depending on DI or the execution.

Specials
While the Kamehameha wave is still Goku's neutral-b, his old side-b is now integrated into neutral along Kamehameha.
To use, you have to lightly tap the b-button without trying to charge the wave. You can only throw one ki blast at a time akin to the Ki blast wave in Budokai Tenkaichi. But in compensation, they have the ability to be angled and it has the potential to kill if the Ki blast is thrown at a distance, which means you can get some pretty sick off-stage snipes. In the air, Ki blast is always angled down. But with his old side-b gone, that means we have an excuse to make a new side-b!

The Super Dash mechanic from Dragon Ball FighterZ. Also known as Ki flight.
Literally just watch any Dragon Ball FighterZ video and you'll get the idea...
YouTube Video:

Think Black Mage's Stop, but with a little more gimmick to it. It has higher start-up than before though.
Stage 1 charge: People near Goku will be stunned for a very brief time.
Stage 2 charge: The stun radius is slightly higher, but there's a clear flash that envelopes the at least 60% of FD (which is purely cosmetics).
Fully charged: The entire screen gets enveloped by the flash. Any character who makes direct eye contact gets stunned. VERY long time to charge, though.
But, if that's his down-b, what about Kaio-Ken?!

It's not going anywhere. I get that some people still want Kaio-Ken as Goku's down-b, but a move as powerful, dramatic, and tide-turning as Kaio-Ken should not be super easy to access.
Most of the details are already explained in the picture, but I want to add more details to the multiplier:

2x: Only raises his stats a little...
3x: Changes some moves.
4x: Significantly much more aggressive moveset (terms of frame data). Neutral-b can be mashed to make a multitude of ki blasts that can possibly kill.
Obviously, the higher the multiplier, the more damage Goku deals to himself.

All the moves that haven't be included are fine, so I didn't need to change them. Like I said, this isn't a soulless "buff my character plzzz" thread. This is just a personal gripe on what I think about Goku's moveset and how I can make him a more interesting fighter by being more faithful to his original source material without shoehorning unnecessary and exaggerated buffs. This is just a thought, not a proposal. All of this being added into SSF2 would make me ecstatic, but we all know it's never happening.

Please post your thoughts below!

Last edited by Akabonba on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 am

MGN Username: T-Permutation
Currently Playing: Parsec and sometimes Fightcade.
Nice kaio ken's implementation, but the 150% limit is a bit useless due to the atributes for a smash game (pichu still takes damage no matter what damage does it)

Good times at helping this great community
My discord: TheGodTierCeviche#0303

Also join Zimbax's discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/eevq7YJ

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:53 am

MGN Username: Randumbness132
Currently Playing: around doing nothing
Waifu: Yul. B. Suhray
I see a lot of inspiration taken from Fighterz and other dragon ball games, and I like it. Goku right now seems generic to me, seeing how he just does basic punches and stuff as his basic attacks.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 am

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
I absolutely love all the regular moves (Seriously, why doesn't he fight like that already? Right now he's way too bland!) but the specials seem a little iffy.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 am

MGN Username: ButterMosaic
It's been a while.

I just wanted to post a quick idea that someone else made for a re-imagined moveset for Goku.

Based off of the "Z-reflect" from Dragon Ball FighterZ, where you could deflect projectiles away. In SSF2, it works like a regular attack while still keeping it's projectile-reflecting capabilities. The projectiles now fly at an arc towards the opponent. Has very good priority, but easily loses to grabs (I mean, so do attacks in this current version, but that might be fixed).

Inspiration:

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Roblox, Kirby Star Allies, Sonic Mania Plus, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokemon Emerald, Leauge Of Legends
Waifu: Rera (SSVI)
These changes do look pretty cool! I'm a big fan of the Dragon Ball franchise, and I'm planning on getting Dragon Ball FighterZ for the Nintendo Switch soon! But my only slight problem with this is that, the Super Dash mechanic is used very commonly in the shows as well, and even the movies!

YouTube Video:

Last edited by Broly on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 pm

MGN Username: moGi
Currently Playing: MGR:R, GE3, etc MHXX
Waifu: Lancer Arthuria P.
They should change his sprites first since it all comes from the Jump games, lol.

black keys will be removed in the future anyways

*sniff*

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 pm

I would like that his heavy attack on fighterz was his forward smash

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:49 pm

MGN Username: MGoku9
Currently Playing: SSF2, Crash Tag Team Racing, Dragon Ball Budokai 2
Akabonba wrote:
I just wanted to post a quick idea that someone else made for a re-imagined moveset for Goku.

Someone, hmm? I wonder who could that possibly be...

I am the base for Event #11: Laagggggg

== SSF2 ==
Flash Card #10

RIP Forums. Hope you're having a good day, though! Unless you main Marth /s.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

Currently Playing: SSF2, Roblox, Kirby Star Allies, Sonic Mania Plus, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokemon Emerald, Leauge Of Legends
Waifu: Rera (SSVI)
MedK wrote:
Akabonba wrote:

Someone, hmm? I wonder who could that possibly be...

Attachment:
Observe.jpg
Observe.jpg [ 38.93 KiB | Viewed 917 times ]

YouTube Video:

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Real talk I really like a lot of these changes!

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:06 pm
 [ 11 posts ]