The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:30 pm

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
Black Mage 

MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
That was what I was getting at yes.

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Maybe they should also fix the fact that getting the person hit out of your throw animation keeps you doing the throw animation without them inside (which is because the throws are just specially coded attacks).

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:17 pm
BR Member

Phoenix Wright wrote:
Maybe they should also fix the fact that getting the person hit out of your throw animation keeps you doing the throw animation without them inside (which is because the throws are just specially coded attacks).

Well with the exception of Poison I'd actually like to see his throws continuing on but with a hitbox.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:08 pm

MGN Username: coollogic16
ok, did you know BM's down b can be used in mid air to charge with?

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:51 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Yes. I'm not sure about the behavior this patch when you land, but I think they changed it so you can't get super charge from falling to the ground while charging it.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:50 pm

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
WelfareWednesday wrote:
Phoenix Wright wrote:

Well with the exception of Poison I'd actually like to see his throws continuing on but with a hitbox.

YESSSS.

Can you imagine having a mini tornado spawning after a fthrow? IT'D B THE BOM.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:51 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Black Mage is the most janky character in the game. Not saying he's broken, though he's ridiculously easy to play effectively. I'll list my feelings on this character below. Bare in mind I'm in PJSalt mode as I write this.

• Firstly, sidetilt comes out very quickly, has good range, has a ridiculous trajectory (pretty much a semi spike), very high knockback for such a quick move and is very hard to punish. The fact that BM can just throw the move out at any time for very little risk and mid-high potential reward is very annoying.
  • Fsmash has a very long lasting disjointed hitbox with a lot of knockback, and comes out very fast. It's avoidable, but the hitbox lasts a deceptively long time for a smash attack and the endlag is relatively low. Mid risk high reward.
  • Dash attack has super armour throughout the whole move AND EVEN AFTER THE MOVE IS OVER. It comes out relatively quickly, has high knockback and is hard to grab due to the long lasting hitbox. The only way to punish this move is to either space a grab perfectly, or grab them after the move has ended. You can't attack them to punish the move as the super armour lasts too long, enabling the opponent to have at least an extra ftilt or dtilt worth of invincibility. Low risk high reward.
  • Nair has very high priority, deceptively large range, little to no startup, little to no endlag, huge damage, huge shield damage and is multi-hitting and long lasting. Enough said here. It's basically MK's nair on crack, without the knockback. Low risk high reward.
  • Haste (sideB) is the most janky move in the game. It has a deceptively large hitbox that is extremely hard to judge (no clear visual indicator), has an almost instant startup, and has a ridiculously long lasting hitbox. It does almost 20% damage a pop, and has good knockback, even at low percents. It can be used as a combo breaker, a techchase covering almost every option (it even grabs foes who are lying down OR in their invincibility frames during a getup attack), an anti-approach, etc. Even though it has a lot of endlag, it's so easy to use that it's almost never punishable, not to mention that when you try and punish the move once you think it's over, it still grabs you because of the stupidly long lasting hitbox. I have a feeling that this move was supposed to be high risk high reward, but due to the factors above it is actually low risk high reward, and an EXTREMELY frustrating move to play against.
  • Meteor plus the chargable smash attacks gives BM perhaps the best camping game. Meteors can be instantly released and have low startup, have a hitbox on startup, have high knockback, high damage, large radius, etc. BM can zone you out far enough for him to start charging a smash attack, and then if you approach too hastily, release the smash attack early and catch you with a highly charged fsmash. If you don't approach, BM gets huge stage control with a fully charged fsmash. Meteor is also an amazing recovery option (covering his landing). Low risk high reward.
  • Stop has low startup, low endlag (in comparison to it's hitbox size and length), is chargable, immobilises the opponent allowing for an easy followup. Hard to punish due to the huge radius, low endlag and long lasting hitbox. Low risk high reward.
  • Overall Black Mage has an amazing camp game, great anti-approaches, surprisingly good range for a small character, high priority, good kill moves, decent combos, and most of his good moves are very low risk with a high potential reward. The character doesn't require a great amount of skill to play decently, as it forces the opponent to play your game in most cases. Black Mage can also be hard to combo due to his floatyness and good combo breakers. His large range, long lasting hitboxes and low lag moves with high rewards make this character extremely frustrating to play against. I'm not sure if he's a broken character, but I know for sure that he needs a change.

/salt

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:13 pm
BR Member

I think BM has some slight jank in Haste, which is super easy to hit people with online, but not really in other ways. I'll address your points:

1. Ftilt is certainly a good GTFO move, but it's not without risk because it is punishable on whiff, and it's not like you get a massive reward from it unless it semi-spikes.

2. Fsmash is super laggy, and basically impossible to use except when edgeguarding or off of hard read, and it's also really punishable. A move that is such a huge commitment needs a big reward on hit, so I have no problem with it.

3. Nair's main problem is its lack of range. It is a very good OoS option and close-range option, and I think it should be toned down, but it's not really criminally good or anything. Maybe it should have some landing lag, to fit in more with his strengths and weaknesses (good moves that are laggy)

4. The move has high reward, but it's hardly low-risk. I mean, if you miss they essentially can set up whatever they want: Fox can usmash you and you'll die, Falcon can probably PAWNCH you or stomp -> knee, etc., etc. It's a nice move for edgeguarding and tech chases because it can't be spot dodged or shielded, but it's hardly viable in neutral unless you're really confident. Even if you're far enough away that it won't hit you, you can still run in and punish them in the endlag. It needs a tone down, but it isn't awful. It is BM's best answer to run-and-gun characters, so if you're Fox or Falcon run-back -> Haste can become the bane of your existence, but with smart non-committal play it's hard to spam.

5. BM should never get enough space to charge a smash unless you have projectiles that will hit him out of it. It isn't that hard to avoid his smashes to punish him for charging them, and then you can abuse his lack of good close-range options and wreck him. Meteor is a good projectile, but it requires commitment that a character with mobility or speed can easily get around. It's great as an edgeguarding move, but that isn't criminal.

6. Stop has inherent risk like all of his moves. As a BM player, I'll say that it isn't as low-risk as it seems: whiffing it will not bode well for you. It's a nice ranged move that can catch bad approaches out, but it isn't spammable in neutral or usable all the time without risk.

7. I think BM is a very good character: S tier. Some disagree, but I think that. However, I think you've painted a slightly off-kilter picture. I see BM having a strong punish game and zoning game, but I think BM has serious weaknesses with the lag in his moves: he doesn't have good non-committal moves to escape pressure. Because of this, BM ultimately requires reads or mistakes in the opponent's approaches to let his punish game shine. Against characters like Fox, you can get overwhelmed and get massive droughts. This combined with a weak recovery means that you have to be really careful playing BM. The reverse is true as well: players who are used to baiting and punishing or approaching haphazardly can easily fall prey to the edgeguarding and combos that BM has, and playing BM requires being careful with your approaches and not committing too much to anything. He's a lot like Samus in that he can slow down the pace of the game very well, and requires that you sorta play his game: just doing Fox stuff against BM will get you killed really quickly, but realizing the weaknesses that BM has in defense can lead to easy victories. Ultimately, I think you underestimate the risk inherent in Black Mage's moves, and underestimate the weaknesses that BM has to pressure and to characters that can shut him down.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I think BM has some slight jank in Haste, which is super easy to hit people with online, but not really in other ways. I'll address your points:

1. Ftilt is certainly a good GTFO move, but it's not without risk because it is punishable on whiff, and it's not like you get a massive reward from it unless it semi-spikes.

2. Fsmash is super laggy, and basically impossible to use except when edgeguarding or off of hard read, and it's also really punishable. A move that is such a huge commitment needs a big reward on hit, so I have no problem with it.

3. Nair's main problem is its lack of range. It is a very good OoS option and close-range option, and I think it should be toned down, but it's not really criminally good or anything. Maybe it should have some landing lag, to fit in more with his strengths and weaknesses (good moves that are laggy)

4. The move has high reward, but it's hardly low-risk. I mean, if you miss they essentially can set up whatever they want: Fox can usmash you and you'll die, Falcon can probably PAWNCH you or stomp -> knee, etc., etc. It's a nice move for edgeguarding and tech chases because it can't be spot dodged or shielded, but it's hardly viable in neutral unless you're really confident. Even if you're far enough away that it won't hit you, you can still run in and punish them in the endlag. It needs a tone down, but it isn't awful. It is BM's best answer to run-and-gun characters, so if you're Fox or Falcon run-back -> Haste can become the bane of your existence, but with smart non-committal play it's hard to spam.

5. BM should never get enough space to charge a smash unless you have projectiles that will hit him out of it. It isn't that hard to avoid his smashes to punish him for charging them, and then you can abuse his lack of good close-range options and wreck him. Meteor is a good projectile, but it requires commitment that a character with mobility or speed can easily get around. It's great as an edgeguarding move, but that isn't criminal.

6. Stop has inherent risk like all of his moves. As a BM player, I'll say that it isn't as low-risk as it seems: whiffing it will not bode well for you. It's a nice ranged move that can catch bad approaches out, but it isn't spammable in neutral or usable all the time without risk.

7. I think BM is a very good character: S tier. Some disagree, but I think that. However, I think you've painted a slightly off-kilter picture. I see BM having a strong punish game and zoning game, but I think BM has serious weaknesses with the lag in his moves: he doesn't have good non-committal moves to escape pressure. Because of this, BM ultimately requires reads or mistakes in the opponent's approaches to let his punish game shine. Against characters like Fox, you can get overwhelmed and get massive droughts. This combined with a weak recovery means that you have to be really careful playing BM. The reverse is true as well: players who are used to baiting and punishing or approaching haphazardly can easily fall prey to the edgeguarding and combos that BM has, and playing BM requires being careful with your approaches and not committing too much to anything. He's a lot like Samus in that he can slow down the pace of the game very well, and requires that you sorta play his game: just doing Fox stuff against BM will get you killed really quickly, but realizing the weaknesses that BM has in defense can lead to easy victories. Ultimately, I think you underestimate the risk inherent in Black Mage's moves, and underestimate the weaknesses that BM has to pressure and to characters that can shut him down.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'll try and paint a scenario in which I found myself extremely frustrated playing against a BM.

So it's neutral, BM is camping one side of ToS with meteors. Falcon is dashdancing outside of meteor range, but the BM has no reason to approach, stock count is even. As a Falcon player, you are forced to approach in this scenario.
BM can vary the length of his meteors. A good BM will keep his meteors at mid range in this scenario until Falcon makes a move, to stop a full jump approach and stop any relatively close up ground or short hopped approaches. Falcon has limited options in this scenario.
He can try to double jump over the meteors to crossup BM, but BM will have a lot of time to react and maneuver back into neutral.
He can try to attack in the frame of time in which a meteor hitbox isn't out, which will be near impossible if the BM is using the move correctly.
Runup shield will likely get Falcon into shield pressure even if he blocks the move, as meteor can be released at any time and the endlag is minimal, allowing BM to act out of the move very easily to pressure shield with a nair, use haste (which is pretty much a guaranteed hit on a shielding opponent) or even grab.
Falcon's only real options in this scenario are to try and trade with the meteor while it's still rising (the meteor will still explode on Falcon and likely put him in a detrimental position) or to try and bait a higher meteor.

Lets say for this example that Falcon successfully baits a meteor that is raised too high, allowing him to get a ground approach in by running underneath the meteor.
Falcon will most likely be running in for an approach. Since the endlag of meteor will have already been over if the BM has good reaction time, BM has multiple options to stop this approach.
BM can shield, which will stop an unspaced aerial. Not too great of an option, as a spaced nair will allow Falcon to apply shield pressure. Still, it's an option.
BM can ftilt, which will successfully outrange and outprioritise nair and put Falcon in a worse position. Falcon can do little to avoid this unless he baits it first, then goes in to punish the (minimal) endlag.
BM can use haste to stop any approach whatsoever except for a run up roll (an extremely unsafe option) or a full jump approach (risk resetting to neutral again).
BM can use utilt or uair to stop aerial approaches.
BM can use fair or bair to stop grounded or aerial approaches.
BM can use Stop to stop any approach (requires a read, risky).
BM can fsmash to stop a grounded/short hop approach (requires a read, risky).

In this scenario, for Falcon to successfully turn the situation in his favour, it requires a successful bait from Falcon (a good BM won't fall for this, he has no reason to raise meteor higher than mid range) and a read on BM's reaction to the situation, of which BM has multiple options.

Every character has bad matchups, and I'm not saying that BM should get nerfed simply for the Falcon matchup. However, this is just an example of the multitude of relatively low risk options that BM has against an approaching player, while the other player must take risks and play mind games simply to have a chance of getting a hit in. This of course, causes a lot of frustration for the other player. And it's not as if BM's only good quality is his zoning. He has a good combo game, great punishes, high damage, high priority, decent range etc.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:27 am

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
So I was thinking about BM's d-air. Maybe, since the scythe swoops underneath him, instead of the actual d-air doing the spike, keep the reaper as spike and make d-air push them horizontally (not very strong) and slightly upwards in the direction of the scythe's tip (kind of a scoop up like Chibi's spoon but pushes the opponent behind). This would allow for some crazy cool looking setups and would make for less redundancy and less overpoweredness in the fact that BM's d-air spikes with a great hitbox and earns you ANOTHER spike in the form of the reaper. Also would be a unique move because players would essentially have to jump forward while aiming to knock backwards (or jump backwards while aiming to knock forward). What you guys think?

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:39 pm
BR Member

Jammy wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Not saying you're wrong, but I'll try and paint a scenario in which I found myself extremely frustrated playing against a BM.

So it's neutral, BM is camping one side of ToS with meteors. Falcon is dashdancing outside of meteor range, but the BM has no reason to approach, stock count is even. As a Falcon player, you are forced to approach in this scenario.
BM can vary the length of his meteors. A good BM will keep his meteors at mid range in this scenario until Falcon makes a move, to stop a full jump approach and stop any relatively close up ground or short hopped approaches. Falcon has limited options in this scenario.
He can try to double jump over the meteors to crossup BM, but BM will have a lot of time to react and maneuver back into neutral.
He can try to attack in the frame of time in which a meteor hitbox isn't out, which will be near impossible if the BM is using the move correctly.
Runup shield will likely get Falcon into shield pressure even if he blocks the move, as meteor can be released at any time and the endlag is minimal, allowing BM to act out of the move very easily to pressure shield with a nair, use haste (which is pretty much a guaranteed hit on a shielding opponent) or even grab.
Falcon's only real options in this scenario are to try and trade with the meteor while it's still rising (the meteor will still explode on Falcon and likely put him in a detrimental position) or to try and bait a higher meteor.

Lets say for this example that Falcon successfully baits a meteor that is raised too high, allowing him to get a ground approach in by running underneath the meteor.
Falcon will most likely be running in for an approach. Since the endlag of meteor will have already been over if the BM has good reaction time, BM has multiple options to stop this approach.
BM can shield, which will stop an unspaced aerial. Not too great of an option, as a spaced nair will allow Falcon to apply shield pressure. Still, it's an option.
BM can ftilt, which will successfully outrange and outprioritise nair and put Falcon in a worse position. Falcon can do little to avoid this unless he baits it first, then goes in to punish the (minimal) endlag.
BM can use haste to stop any approach whatsoever except for a run up roll (an extremely unsafe option) or a full jump approach (risk resetting to neutral again).
BM can use utilt or uair to stop aerial approaches.
BM can use fair or bair to stop grounded or aerial approaches.
BM can use Stop to stop any approach (requires a read, risky).
BM can fsmash to stop a grounded/short hop approach (requires a read, risky).

In this scenario, for Falcon to successfully turn the situation in his favour, it requires a successful bait from Falcon (a good BM won't fall for this, he has no reason to raise meteor higher than mid range) and a read on BM's reaction to the situation, of which BM has multiple options.

Every character has bad matchups, and I'm not saying that BM should get nerfed simply for the Falcon matchup. However, this is just an example of the multitude of relatively low risk options that BM has against an approaching player, while the other player must take risks and play mind games simply to have a chance of getting a hit in. This of course, causes a lot of frustration for the other player. And it's not as if BM's only good quality is his zoning. He has a good combo game, great punishes, high damage, high priority, decent range etc.

I totally see how in some situations BM can shut down opponents: we haven't even detailed how a single grab in neutral against Falcon is an easy 40% at least, and maybe an edgeguard opportunity (which may lead to death). I will note, however, that a Falcon in this situation should try to not let the stage be FD-like, and if he loses that game counterpicking to a stage with platforms would greatly benefit Falcon.

Let me try to paint a different side of the story. I'm playing Black Mage against a Fox, and I lost last game so I counterpick to ToS, which is a decent BM stage (the lack of onstage platforms make combos easy against FF'ers, but the offstage platforms help opponents recover).

Meteor doesn't really work because of Shine, so I probably have to approach. Let's just say that the Fox is really scared of charged smashes or something and decides to approach me. I can shield, but that is not a good idea against a character with low landing lag and a move that has no startup. I can try to block an aerial with fair or Haste, but both of them are punishable on miss. I have no option to block Fox's pressure that doesn't require a read, because of the lag inherent in BM's moves. If I get hit, it's grim: BM dies early to Fox and Shines wreck his recovery. I have essentially no options that don't make a hard commitment, and in order to win this MU I have to make several probably-hard reads.

Just as BM can shut down other characters, he can be shut down by characters with good pressure, and he doesn't have the defensive options that a character like Yoshi does.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:59 am

Huey wrote:
So I was thinking about BM's d-air. Maybe, since the scythe swoops underneath him, instead of the actual d-air doing the spike, keep the reaper as spike and make d-air push them horizontally (not very strong) and slightly upwards in the direction of the scythe's tip (kind of a scoop up like Chibi's spoon but pushes the opponent behind). This would allow for some crazy cool looking setups and would make for less redundancy and less overpoweredness in the fact that BM's d-air spikes with a great hitbox and earns you ANOTHER spike in the form of the reaper. Also would be a unique move because players would essentially have to jump forward while aiming to knock backwards (or jump backwards while aiming to knock forward). What you guys think?

Some players are already good at doing things like this. Adding such a feature is interesting to say the least. But What will probably happen will be the same as Tails' photon cannon to dair combo: unless the opponent's % is high, the photon cannon will push your target up so hard (not high, hard) that once you follow up with dair, the physics of each move will cancel each other out and the enemy won't go anywhere.

In the case of BM if you have a scooping animation that is lifting your target slightly up, the affect of the meteor will be weakened. It's an interesting idea though.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:54 pm

MGN Username: coollogic16
:sweat: well, BM does have a prettty good down air, and can be used amazingly, both parts, the reaper and the sythe, sythe could be used to start a combo, use a few hits then the reaper finishes it.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:14 pm

MGN Username: Jexulus
How odd. I'm looking all over the forum, and I can't find anything that defines what Haste does. I guess it's been a while since 0.7.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Haste is pretty much a small range grab attack. Get close enough to the front of your opponent and cast it.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:49 pm
 [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next