The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:14 pm

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Refurin's Sprite Thread 
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
This is my thread for sprites and stuff. Here are some of my sprites and stuff, in this thread. For you to look at. Or something.

MOST RECENT:

Big Pixel Art: show

Sprites and Animations: show

Wow, cool and such.

Last edited by Refurin on Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 am
SSF2 Developer

I finally finished up the pixel art.
There's a few problems I have with the shading, and I think I may have used a bit too much dithering, but overall, I think it turned out okay.

Any thoughts?

Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:59 am

It's great, mate. I r8 8/8.

nice signature

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:08 am
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: Killatores
Looks really good! You consider the option of apply for SSF2 Dev?

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:53 am

Waifu: zero suit wario
Looks pretty good!

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:59 am
I like it, but I feel without critism it'd be difficult to improve, so I'll give some thoughts;
I think the big problem here is shading. When making Pixel Art (and any art, really) you need a good lightsource, and viewers should be able to tell where it is. It seems you've got the technique right, but the spots shaded contradict eachother, like his left leg (our right) and it's shoe.
The rest are just minor fixes, like moving the shoe a little to our right, and maybe a bit more contrasting colors.

Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:47 pm
SSF2 Developer

To Tupilluis, I probably wouldn't try to apply as a dev, spriting is not really a thing I'm focused on, I just do it very rarely for fun, and I'm really slow, as well as that I often shut down when under pressure, or when people expect things of me.

To Clubby, I know what you mean. The main parts that I'm not a fan of the shading of, is the part of his right hand that sits below the ring, his left pants-leg, his shirt and the end of his left ear.

I do want to mess around with the palette, too, because the contrast on a lot of things isn't really consistent. I feel like the high contrast on the ring and other shiny things is fine, but between the various pieces of clothing, on some, it's higher than others. I also feel like the coloured outlines on a few things need to be darker.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the ear, pants, shirt and hand right, but I couldn't get it to look much better than that, and because I'm lazy, I left it as is. As far as the shading on the ear goes, though, it doesn't pop out as being badly shaded, so I think it's okay.

If I do get back to this sprite, I'll try and fix up a bunch of this stuff, if I can be bothered.

At some point I want to try and create actual battle sprites of Klonoa, but I still have to figure out how to make the moveset I have for him more cohesive, so that it isn't just a bunch of attacks that wouldn't really work together.

To everyone, thanks!

EDIT: Better? Worse?

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:34 pm
SSF2 Developer

I've been working on in-game SSF2 styled sprites of Klonoa, but I've gone through lots of revisions so far, none of which look good, so I haven't got anything I want to show of that, yet.

But I did quickly whip up a short animation of one of Klonoa's ears, to see how I'd do, and (other than the fact that I've not shaded it) I think it turned out okay. I'm no good at animation, so if there's any particularly obviously bad things about it, feel free to point them out, so I can try to work on them.

Also, I still don't have a good program for making gifs, I used GifCam for this.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 am
I like the movement, it's very smooth.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 am
SSF2 Developer

It's been a very long time since I last posted sprites (again) and I felt like doing some more because of the "expansion moveset" I made for Klonoa and posted in the expansion character moveset speculation thread.

Yes, I'm spriting Klonoa again. Aren't I full of ideas.

Anyway, I touched up my big sprite a bit, but there's still a lot to do, because the lighting is a bit weird, the palette is lacking contrast in some places, it's got a bunch of dithering (which I like but isn't really in the style of SSF2's character art) and a lot of the lines and curves are not very neat.

I also decided to try making some sprites and animations for some of the enemies from the Klonoa series that would be in the up-special, and this is the animation for a Kiton, apparently.

It has obviously been slowed down, and while I don't think it's absolutely perfect, I think it's good enough that you wouldn't really notice the problems while it's moving at proper speed.

Other than the things I've already mentioned, is there anything in either of these that needs fixing?

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:05 am
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: likiji123
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta, Hyper DBZ
Waifu: Robbie Rotten
Neat :D

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:07 am
SSF2 Developer

I messed around with the palette a bit, touched up some shading, fixed a good chunk of the jagged lines, removed most of the dithering, and spent hours messing around with no success on the right hand (which is on the left, of course).

So I'll have to have another go at the right hand at some point. It's given me a lot of trouble.

Anyway, I'm mostly pleased with how it's looking now, other than a few minor issues.

I might attempt to sprite another enemy from the games, next.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:27 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
You're consistantly getting better, well done. The only thing I'm curious about is why you chose to use reflected shading on the cap, as that is usually used for metal or shiny surfaces.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:54 am
SSF2 Developer

Steven wrote:
You're consistantly getting better, well done. The only thing I'm curious about is why you chose to use reflected shading on the cap, as that is usually used for metal or shiny surfaces.

You mean the lighter outline on the top-right of the blue section? Dunno, that was in the lighting from the image I based it off of, I'll take a look at changing that. It's certainly inconsistent with the rest of the shading.

There's a few areas that I want to touch up the shading on, specifically his left leg, the shoes, the shirt and the ears. I also want to change the palette a bit for the pants and shoes. Once I've got all those looking a bit better, I'll post that and see if you think it's improved.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:14 am
SSF2 Developer

So, I touched up the big sprite a bit more, fixing a bunch of problems.

The only issues I have with it now are the shading on the left ear (visually right) which I still have to figure out how I want to do, and the right hand (visually left) which I intend to try and move further away from the body and fix up the shape and shading. I've tried to do this before, but I couldn't get it just right.

Is there anything else anyone notices that I should fix?

Also, I need to get better at posting in a way that doesn't result in me double posting.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:49 pm
 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next