The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:25 pm

[ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
TerminX's Spriteworks (Trollbean won State competition!) 
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Snake (999)
This is Snake, from a frickin' awesome DS visual novel I just finished called 999: 9 hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. I recommend it to anyone who owns a DS. I may do the other 8 later..

Gonna go reorganize the OP now
Edit: AWESOME, EVERYTHING IS IN BOXES NOW

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Currently Playing: Let's use Daddy's Welfare Haphazardly
You should be more active.

You look like crap.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 pm
Site Moderator

Santa
Maybe I'll do the whole cast.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:27 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Please tell me that second one is unfinished

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 pm
Site Moderator

Tweaked

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:10 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Alright gonna do a full blown critique. This whole critique is going to assume you were trying JUS style.

Snake:

The shading isn't very JUS. In fact you messed up quite a few rules of the style. All articles of clothing should have no more and no less than three shades at all times, excluding the outline. There are minor exceptions for some pieces of clothing, but Snake has none of these. So moving on, The pants have only two shades. Not only does that flatten the legs, it also forces you to break another rule of the style, which is the lightest shade doesn't go on the back leg under any circumstance, unless said leg in equal ground with the other. All that did was make the leg look flat and oddly shaped. Moving up, I notice the undershirt had three shades. I use the word 'notice' vaguely, because even with the, what, 400% increase in size, it's still a bother to try and notice the lightest shade. Heck, even the darkest shade could use more contrast. Remember, contrast is your friend in JUS, and is never a bad thing when used right. Moving up once more, that, er, red line you used in the shirt to resemble a tie isn't working out well. Thicken it and give it an outline. If it hides behind the jacket, you need to widen the jacket a bit then. Moving on once more, onto the jacket. Looking at the reference image, the jacket shouldn't be that tight at all. It should be more loose and hanging to his sides. Another thing, the jacked has some, funny shading. all three of your shades are there, which is nice, but their used inefficiently. On the left most arm, it should also have a pixel or two of the lightest shade of the blue, to signify it's closer, and to follow the shading rules of Jump Ultimate Stars style. The coat's line art overall isn't very flattering either. It should definitely, again looking at the reference picture, fit him much more loosely. Moving upward a tad, you get to the face, and the skin. First of all, for following JUS skin shading, you didn't do so hot, because you gave his skin a fourth shade, which doesn't blend in, and I could easily pick out the one you created for the sprite. It has much less saturation than the other colors, inevitably making it stick out more than had you have just left the three shades a lone. So I'd suggest going back and looking at official JUS sprites, then copying their shading technique. The shading on each hand only have two shades, which I don't understand because the face has four. Plus, you, again, didn't follow the JUS shading rule of, basically if it's in the back, it doesn't get the lightest shade. Going up once more, I see the head. I also see a bunch of random stray pixels that do nothing for the sprite but degrade it. I don't know what you were going for here, maybe stray hairs, but they should definitely be removed. Also looking at the hair, it's an obvious base, and looking at the reference, looks almost nothing like Snake's hair. For one, the side bangs on your sprite should be much, much shorter. The back of the head's hair should be shorter as well. It wouldn't be all that impossible to add his little ahoge either. Now, looking at the sprite in general, then looking at the reference picture, I noticed a lot of palette issues, mainly the hair. You have this silvery white thing going on, while his is a light tan. The tie is far too bright in your sprite, and there is a random red pixel on his cuffs. Also, the cuff design is radically different than of the reference picture. The pose alltogether looks as though it wouldn't fit his personality. I believe you should go with more of a relaxed pose, but that's just me. Overall, it's not a bad sprite, but it could be made a lot better.

tl;dr- You need to follow the rules of JUS if you want to continue working in the style. If you change small aspects and call it yours, it doesn't look original, it looks sloppy.

EDIT: I'll do a critique for Santa too if you want.

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Currently Playing: UNIST
Woo, 999. :3
Though Santa looks off.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:21 pm
YIM
Site Moderator

Me and two other guys are making a crappy game for CAD class at school, these are most of the sprites I've made. I make more every day, but it's inconvenient to transfer them daily, so expect large, infrequent updates. Everything on the sheet is 100% custom, and while some don't look great animated, I'm quite proud of some of them (Especially Gripolicon - The big green dude. Looks great).
This will be listed in the boxes as Trollbean Game Sprites. Trollbean is the dude on the top left - looks like a jellybean with troll colors, sorta. It's a temp name until we come up with something better.

From the left row, going down.
Trollbean - the main character. Has idle, punch and two walking animations
Chili Pepper - Stronger/faster transformed form of Trollbean. Has several angled punches
Blue & Greyscale Trollbeans - May be other transformations. No idea atm
Bunny - The defenseless enemies from the first level. No challenge here.
CompuSnake - Enemy. BSOD/Greyscales when it dies.
Face - Not sure if it's gonna be used yet. I was thinking it would teleport around just before it got hit
Eyeball - /shrug. Just an enemy
Oldbot - Enemy. Left is without beard, just as a reference sprite.
EggMan - Boss of the first level. When he opens up, he spits a metric crapton of rabbits out.

Right row:
Transy - Recognize him? It's the original cartoony version. He'll be the boss of the second level - A level that will have only characters I used to draw.
Gripolicon - Another character I used to draw. Transy will transform into him.
Batat - Enemy on the 2nd level.
Batole - Another level 2 enemy
The Bomb Juggler - Transy will transform into him, and throw bombs.
Ig - The derp/joke enemy. Dies easily etc

Whoo. Gonna do a comparison between the original Gripolicon sprite and the new one animated in a sec, just to show progress/suck my own dick. I'm quite proud of the progress there, as I thought he was beyond hope originally :p

EDIT: Here we go, here's a comparison
Image Image
Obviously the improvements are drastic. :D

EDIT2: That animation is way too fast. I'm pretty sure it's because Beneton lags on my computer, f*** it up. Damn :/
Ah well. Just slow it down mentally :p

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
TerminX wrote:
[ Image ]
Me and two other guys are making a crappy game for CAD class at school, these are most of the sprites I've made. I make more every day, but it's inconvenient to transfer them daily, so expect large, infrequent updates. Everything on the sheet is 100% custom, and while some don't look great animated, I'm quite proud of some of them (Especially Gripolicon - The big green dude. Looks great).
This will be listed in the boxes as Trollbean Game Sprites. Trollbean is the dude on the top left - looks like a jellybean with troll colors, sorta. It's a temp name until we come up with something better.

From the left row, going down.
Trollbean - the main character. Has idle, punch and two walking animations
Chili Pepper - Stronger/faster transformed form of Trollbean. Has several angled punches
Blue & Greyscale Trollbeans - May be other transformations. No idea atm
Bunny - The defenseless enemies from the first level. No challenge here.
CompuSnake - Enemy. BSOD/Greyscales when it dies.
Face - Not sure if it's gonna be used yet. I was thinking it would teleport around just before it got hit
Eyeball - /shrug. Just an enemy
Oldbot - Enemy. Left is without beard, just as a reference sprite.
EggMan - Boss of the first level. When he opens up, he spits a metric crapton of rabbits out.

Right row:
Transy - Recognize him? It's the original cartoony version. He'll be the boss of the second level - A level that will have only characters I used to draw.
Gripolicon - Another character I used to draw. Transy will transform into him.
Batat - Enemy on the 2nd level.
Batole - Another level 2 enemy
The Bomb Juggler - Transy will transform into him, and throw bombs.
Ig - The derp/joke enemy. Dies easily etc

Whoo. Gonna do a comparison between the original Gripolicon sprite and the new one animated in a sec, just to show progress/suck my own dick. I'm quite proud of the progress there, as I thought he was beyond hope originally :p

EDIT: Here we go, here's a comparison
[ Image ] [ Image ]
Obviously the improvements are drastic. :D

EDIT2: That animation is way too fast. I'm pretty sure it's because Beneton lags on my computer, f#%$& it up. Damn :/
Ah well. Just slow it down mentally :p

why not mak a good game ?

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 pm
Site Moderator

ClashX wrote:

We're making it in Game Maker. Only one of has any experience in that program, and his is minimal. It's destined to fail :p

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:43 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
TerminX wrote:
ClashX wrote:

We're making it in Game Maker. Only one of has any experience in that program, and his is minimal. It's destined to fail :p

Ohhh Okay well continue and as for the sprites.. they're interesting lol

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:15 pm
Site Moderator

Trollbean? Trollbean!

I've been making pisstons of edits of the guy at school. Not sure if I'm gonna use any of them in the game. Which is on hold, btw. Sorry.

The second row is various genres of music. Third is combined with enemies/original characters/new shading styles. Fourth is Trollbean versions of my other characters. Fifth is everything else.

Enlarged version:
http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads ... d60c8d.png

Other sprites I've mad recently:
Just some random works. I particularly like weeaboo Trollbean :v

spritan spritan. As usual this stuff is almost entirely custom (The only things I can think of that aren't custom on these two sheets are the Super Saiyan hairstyles). Comments would be kewl pl0z

Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:49 pm

Currently Playing: Skyrim
I like the simplistic shading style.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:53 pm
Site Moderator

It's partly going for cartoony, but also partly the best I can do. I'm not much of a spriter really :p

Still, I like how they came out, for the most part.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:02 pm
Site Moderator

How does it feel to be fuggin' awesome?

I swear I think I had that in my sig not too long ago

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:03 pm
 [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next