The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:48 pm

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Yoshi 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Discuss Yoshi specific gameplay here.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
He's still very good this time around... although I keep forgetting that his up special can actually be used to recover now. :p

I don't really immediately notice any big changes from v0.9a, save for the stronger Final Smash and the improved Egg Lay graphic. I have to keep looking for what got adjusted or I'll get blindsided.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
Running at the ledge and doing a reverse up special makes you grab the ledge. UpB also cancels double jump momentum now. Nothing much else.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:19 am
BR Member

[TSON] wrote:
Running at the ledge and doing a reverse up special makes you grab the ledge. UpB also cancels double jump momentum now. Nothing much else.

Ah, I see. Just a couple minor buffs.

I hope people will come up with strategies to bump him up the tiers a bit. Maybe that burden'll fall on me. :p

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:30 am

Yoshi can no longer DJC aerial platform cancel into an immediate dash. Although he can still DJC aerial platform cancel, now he needs to spend some frames to start dashing in order to do the same move sequence.

DJC u-aerials are much, much more better than before. This may be thanks to how characters fall now rather than a direct buff to Yoshi itself. Yoshi can now do the u-air juggles with the same consistency and effectiveness as in Melee. In the last version, u-airs were much more difficult to combo because of the trajectories they would induce onto the enemy.

Egg roll now makes Yoshi jump a bit before it begins the animation. It also happens to out prioritize Chibi-Robos sideB, giving it some more utility.

DJC upBs will help Yoshi be a bit more mobile while throwing eggs. Egg camping at the ledge doesn't seem so great since the eggs still don't have a lot of horizontal range.

With Yoshi's new u-air, he has become a lot more Melee like. He's kept almost all his combos from last update. With the u-air addition I think he's one of the stronger characters this version, although only if you can make use of his various technologies.

Last edited by kana on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:38 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: sports
Good post. Yoshi is a lot of fun this version for me because it's cool to play a character where you feel like there's always room to play better than you do.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Yeah, his speed gives him a very high skill ceiling. What really gets me going with Yoshi is how well you can replicate combos that you see Amsa do in Melee.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm
BR Member

I've mainly been trying and trying with Yoshi because I've liked the character - they've always been my favorite fictional species. But I am so glad to see that both in here and in SSB4, he's actually not too bad of a choice, and he actually feels like he's not too bad of a choice. It's not even a "potential, but it's a stretch" like in Melee, he's just straight-up good.

That feeling when your favorite character to play as is actually your favorite character.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Although in Melee, it is no longer a stretch. Check out Amsa vs M2K in KoC4 if you haven't seen it, Amsa's takes his gameplay to another level and just blows everyone away.

Lucky for you that your favourite char is viable :D. Personally Yoshi is one of my mains, although I enjoy him mainly because of his speed and not the fact that he is Yoshi.

EDIT: Yoshi's nair seems to come out a few frames slower than before. You can see this by attempting to platform cancel with an enemy on the platform. If you do it too fast, you won't get the n-air hitbox out, as opposed to before where you would always get it out.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 pm

MGN Username: ProLuigi
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2 Demo v0.9b, Pokemon Moon
In v0.9a, yoshi didn't make a sound effect for star k.o or screen k.o. But in this demo yoshi has the sound effects for star and screen k.os

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:12 pm

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
Yoshi's d-trow now sends your opponent at a 90 degree angle straight up which I like because you can follow it up with an up-smash.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:01 am
BR Member

WRXJoey wrote:
Yoshi's d-trow now sends your opponent at a 90 degree angle straight up which I like because you can follow it up with an up-smash.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Another thing, speaking of his Usmash: If an opponent's behind you, you can combo Dair -> Usmash easily. If they're behind you.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 am

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
Saikyoshi wrote:
WRXJoey wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that.

Another thing, speaking of his Usmash: If an opponent's behind you, you can combo Dair -> Usmash easily. If they're behind you.

Dair to uair < jump + air dodge

It's really good for escaping drill-like attacks, including moves like Yoshi's dair or Black Mage's nair.

Yoshi hasn't really changed all that much, cept his better bair and his overall physics. I think out of all the characters shown, I think Yoshi and Wario were changed the least. Which is good on my part, less training and stuff.

Imo though, Yoshi shouldn't have smashes that can be abused like V0.9a's Mario Dash Attack. :annoyed: Just give him the range he's supposed to have, and nerf his smash attacks' speed.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:17 am
BR Member

I love the Jab x2 -> Dash Attack B&B combo. I hope I can do the same thing in the official game.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Hey guys, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested on video guides about covering the advanced techs with Yoshi. also, I found this glitch when you do Yoshi's down-B right as you get above a platform. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvP9xGY ... e=youtu.be

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:02 pm
 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next