The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 11:33 pm

[ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next
McLeodGaming Mafia II [Town vs Mafia] 

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III
         ...and so it begins. Whatever I say quite probably will be used against me, but I might as well get the game started as someone has to go first. The first bit is always the hardest as the people who have something to hide, be it to save themselves from the Mafia,from the Serial killer or from lynching (ie. everyone), will quite often keep their mouth shut or just copy what is said by others.

I'm only really saying this so that the mouth shutting people or the copiers say something, contribute and possibly let slip something important. It's either that or let the game go on with little conversation and as a result, little thought put into each post. Like last time, where the whole game's lynching was based on people voting out other people due to their activity or their eagerness to defend themselves, as if the Mafia were the only ones who had a need to defend themselves.

That said however I honestly can't put forward a solid vote. The only people who have said anything game related (besides acknowledging the fact that they received a vote) are Brikmaethor, Tid, WP and myself. The logic behind their choice could be used to determine their position. I, as someone who believes that the day time gives the Mafia less of an advantage, could believe that Tid or Brikmaethor were from the Mafia, silently pushing towards an alternative which benefits the mafia.

My experience of this game is slight however, reduced merely to a few games (maybe 3 in my whole life, on and offline?) and so I may be blatantly ignorant of the merits of day/night. Choosing day time benefits may not be the optimum choice, thus putting me and WP under fire. Obviously, I wouldn't like to put evidence forwards that could falsely get me lynched, so I won't put any forwards about myself, whereas WP on the other hand, put forwards an opinion that could benefit the Mafia (hypothetically assuming that day time benefits the mafia of course) without evidence that could be used as evidence for his claims, suggesting that perhaps he wishes to hide his motives.

Just some things to get things moving. I have put evidence forwards against Brik, Tid, myself (because everything everyone says will probably be used against them and I've said a lot) and WP. Now follow suit, get chatting.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:08 am

Come on Tid, you're online, say something

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:17 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Um, in a real game of Mafia, we get told what roles are in.
E.G
4 Townies, 3 Mafia, 1 naive cop, 1 insane cop, 1 cop, 2 watchers
so on and so forth.
Also, judging by what DVDV has said, I doubt he has played Mafia before, as little of that is true. Generally, the Mafia will be the first to talk when something happens, or a day begins. At this point, there is NO way of knowing who we can trust, hell, we can't even strategise because we don't know what roles are in.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:19 am

I did say that I haven't played Mafia often, but when I did, the roles weren't told in order to make things more interesting and I merely spoke first in order to prevent what happened during my last game from happening: a game where nothing was said and all lynches were based on retardedness.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:23 am

No, I've played Mafia quite a bit, I've really gotten into it these past two weeks especially.
Not knowing does not make the game more interesting, because nothing can be done strategy wise. When we know, we can plan. Imagine for example we knew we had a Doctor and a Watcher. We could ask the watcher to announce who they were, or "claim", so that they could give us reports in the safety of the Doctor protecting them.
Or another example, say we looked at who was dead (dead people have their roles revealed) and who was in the game, we could do the math and figure out that the Mafia had the same amount of people as the Townies. We'd realise we couldn't no-lynch, and we'd have to lynch or lose the game.
With no roles list, we have to work entirely off what people say, and while that sounds great in theory, it only works in real life when you can read people's body-language and it's harder to lie. Here on the internet, we don't see someone sit for ages as they formulate a plan, being a dead-giveaway that they're trying to think of an excuse to worm their way out of a situation.
Long story short, we need roles lists.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 am

Fair enough. You're obviously an expert, but now that starting during the day has been decided and roles haven't been revealed, everything'll have to go back to talking and debate. You'll find that the logic I used in an earlier post encompasses both scenarios, regardless of my ignorance: me being right and me being wrong about the benefits of day vs. night. What I said defends you, Tid as well as Brikmaethor, but also condemns WP and this should be taken into consideration. Note I said 'taken into consideration', not 'biblicised'. I'm not already voting in WP for lynching because that would be retarded.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:33 am

I appreciate your support, both in my game-mechanics arguments, and also in my innocence. It's fairly standard to NL the first day-vote, especially in day-start games, so..
Tid votes to not lynch.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:37 am

So no logic then Tid? Righto then. I'm going to vote No lynch merely because I have homework that I need to do and I don't know when I'll be back (but knowing my procrastination abilities, it'll probably be tomorrow), but also because Tid's quite often the only one online around now and he's obviously made up his mind. If I'm back before 'night time' I'll probably change my vote, but in the mean time.

Elipsiser reserves his right to not lynch

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 am

Psst, DV!
If you wanna get a little practice in before the other players get here and it gets intense, try www.epicmafia.com
It's easy to sign up and some people there are REALLY good at Mafia.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 am

Psst, Tid!
Dad installed a blocker so it doesn't work: he says I play too many computer games :(

I can get around it for some sites (in fact, I use mg as the main tool to unblock other sites :P), but not for sites that are constantly refreshing with IM :(

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:50 am

>Use another computer
>problem solved?

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:52 am

Nah, I'm only allowed to use mine and those at school. If I went to a friend's house then I theoretically could, but that wouldn't be exactly considerate. That said, I'm going to see if I can get an IRL version running at school, during lunch at some point.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 am

...or having some chat, which is what I'm trying to get happening :(

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:57 am

Like I explained, kinda pointless without Roles List.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 am

Chat > No chat, regardless of whether or not there's a roles list. Unless no chat results in you getting lynched.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:03 am
 [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next