The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:35 pm

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
The Spriter's FAQ 

Yes if its actually yours.

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts re:Com/Bbs
It is
It's vanitas but he's not finished all the way yet

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:48 pm

MGN Username: Goombario64
Currently Playing: SSB4
Ramsey wrote:
How do I sprite, ZI?

A: Well, you open paint and just try! You should start by editing other sprites until you get the hang of it.

That's it? Wow, if I'd've known that, I would have started spriting a long time ago! :facepalm:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Mains:
SSB4: Pika, Mario, and Yyyoshiii! I also enjoy Captain Falcon Dittos (who doesn't?!)
Pokkén Tournament:
Weavile, Pikachu-Libre, Shadow Mewtwo
Looking forward to playing as the Sandbag in SSF2. Time for some Revenge to be dished out.
~Formerly Goombario64~

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

Can recolours be considered spriting?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
Admiral Swag wrote:

Ah, no. If you want to post them in a gallery, that's fine. I wouldn't expect huge rounds of applause, though.
However, getting good at recoloring is the first step to getting good at editing.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:24 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Admiral Swag wrote:

Well they can be, but in general recolours are considered the lowest (read: most basic) form of spriting. There are however, different branches of recolouring, each is held in a different regard. There is, for example, the 'making things more accurate' recolouring, and there is the 'recolour sprite to create a fan character' recolouring (something which a certain hedgehog has to live with every day. A tough life indeed).

Recolouring can also be used to improve sprites (see: "recolouring to make more accurate") but then an extra shade is useally added.

The progress of recolouring is often used to gain more understanding in creating colour palletes (it's also used to investiage certain styles, since each style has it's own way of colouring). Other then that, most recolours posted on the internet sadly go ignored, unless you happen to be on certain sites and you are creating certain recolours of a certain hedgehog or fox or echdina or whatever that series has spawned the last few years, while giving them totally awesome names like 'speed the hedgehog' or 'blue the fox'.

But knowing you, you probably are not doing that.

tl;dr: yeah they can be considered as a basic form of spriting.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:23 am

Damian wrote:
Admiral Swag wrote:

Well they can be, but in general recolours are considered the lowest (read: most basic) form of spriting. There are however, different branches of recolouring, each is held in a different regard. There is, for example, the 'making things more accurate' recolouring, and there is the 'recolour sprite to create a fan character' recolouring (something which a certain hedgehog has to live with every day. A tough life indeed).

Recolouring can also be used to improve sprites (see: "recolouring to make more accurate") but then an extra shade is useally added.

The progress of recolouring is often used to gain more understanding in creating colour palletes (it's also used to investiage certain styles, since each style has it's own way of colouring). Other then that, most recolours posted on the internet sadly go ignored, unless you happen to be on certain sites and you are creating certain recolours of a certain hedgehog or fox or echdina or whatever that series has spawned the last few years, while giving them totally awesome names like 'speed the hedgehog' or 'blue the fox'.

But knowing you, you probably are not doing that.

tl;dr: yeah they can be considered as a basic form of spriting.

Thanks. I just did some recolours for a game. Nothing special or anything.

.-.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Currently Playing: Dragonball Xenoverse, Civilization 5, Europa Universalis 4
what if I save a sprite as GIF and how can I change it? just type it in? does it even matter if I save it as GIF?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:04 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
TheCarlosfighter wrote:
what if I save a sprite as GIF and how can I change it? just type it in? does it even matter if I save it as GIF?

Depends on what program you use. Most programs can save as jpg, png and gif by changing the file extension in the "save as" function.
If you're using paint, saving most sprites as gif will be OK. However, it's important to remember that a "GIF format image supports up to 8 bits per pixel, allowing a single image to reference a palette of up to 256 distinct colors chosen from the 24-bit RGB color space."
Also, a gif can be animated, though you'll have to use a program like the GIMP to do so.
If you're looking at more complex sprites, try png. It's a high quality image type.

In case it's not obvious, never save sprites as a jpg, it messes the lines and colours up.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Currently Playing: Dragonball Xenoverse, Civilization 5, Europa Universalis 4
DJ Wizard Cop wrote:
TheCarlosfighter wrote:

Depends on what program you use. Most programs can save as jpg, png and gif by changing the file extension in the "save as" function.
If you're using paint, saving most sprites as gif will be OK. However, it's important to remember that a "GIF format image supports up to 8 bits per pixel, allowing a single image to reference a palette of up to 256 distinct colors chosen from the 24-bit RGB color space."
Also, a gif can be animated, though you'll have to use a program like the GIMP to do so.
If you're looking at more complex sprites, try png. It's a high quality image type.

In case it's not obvious, never save sprites as a jpg, it messes the lines and colours up.

Hmm...thanks, I'll try all of them except jpg to see which one I like.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 pm

I find Png to be the best. That's just my opinion, though.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 am
 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4