The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:47 pm

[ 14 posts ] 
Peril Roulette Discussion - Was Removing It A Good Idea? 

Was removing the Peril Roulette a good idea?
Yes. 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but I wouldn't mind its return. 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
No. 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
No, but I could live without it. 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Neutral/Other 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21

Peril Roulette Discussion - Was Removing It A Good Idea? 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
The Peril Roulette was deconfirmed a while ago, and the topic has come up again pretty recently.

To recap for those who didn't create an account until after early 2015, the Peril Roulette was a proposed system for Classic Mode where, on higher difficulties, a random buff to the opponent and/or debuff to the player would be applied. It was announced in the McLeodGaming Direct and, for a long time, was one of the only things we knew about Classic Mode.

Here's the video itself, already at the correct time stamp:
YouTube Video:

Arguments for it that I've heard include that it would help to make Classic Mode different between playthroughs, differentiate SSF2 from the official games, and make up for the (to some) lackluster CPU AI.

Arguments against it that I've heard include that it would be artificially inflating difficulty with random chance and Classic Mode on higher difficulties already being hard enough without it.

What are your thoughts on the concept? Would you like to see its return? Are you happy it's gone?

---

My personal opinion is that I liked the concept on paper, but do see why it would be unappealing and intrusive to some. I don't want it abandoned entirely, though, and would like to see the Roulette as a Special Versus mode or something.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
I'd love to have it as an option we can enable or disable to spice up Classic Mode a bit without making it frustrating if we just wanna beat it.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm

MGN Username: JalStar
Currently Playing: SSF2
What was the reason for it being removed in the first place? Was it causing too many glitches and bugs or did they just think it was a bad idea and scrapped it?
Either way, I don't think it would make that big of a difference in the game now. If it was present at Beta's release and they attached some unlockables to that mode, then I could see it's purpose. As of right now, I think we'll be fine without it but it would've look good for the game overall.

Click to expand thumbnail
Jamaica to be exact... :)
Check out my friend's shop here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/jo3HD/shop?asc=u

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:21 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Peril Roulette was something that we had working on paper, but actually pulling it off within the engine proved less easy. We were a lot more optmistic about what we could and couldnt pull off at the time and sometimes announced things before they were properly in the game, a process that we've now tried to stay clear off as it usually ends up just dissappointing the fans. Furthermore its reception upon reveal was also pretty mixed to say the least so in order to not delay beta for 5 more years we decided to just scrap the concept from Classic Mode.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
BR Member

Steven wrote:
Peril Roulette was something that we had working on paper, but actually pulling it off within the engine proved less easy. We were a lot more optmistic about what we could and couldnt pull off at the time and sometimes announced things before they were properly in the game, a process that we've now tried to stay clear off as it usually ends up just dissappointing the fans. Furthermore its reception upon reveal was also pretty mixed to say the least so in order to not delay beta for 5 more years we decided to just scrap the concept from Classic Mode.

That makes me curious: if the trouble was with implementing it, how was the footage shown in the Direct gathered? Were the individual effects shown forced for demonstration purposes, and the issue was with the randomization or not-shown effects or something like that?

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:30 pm

MGN Username: TaylorGang
Honestly I like the current classic mode and glad it stays true to the idea of classic mode like melee and smash 64 and isn't tampered with like smash 4. I feel like smash4 changed up classic mode so much with the who walk your own path and other things that it didn't feel like classic mode. Peril roulette not being in SSF2 is kind of a good thing because it keeps the classic mode feeling the same way it did in melee and smash 64 and doesn't tamper the formula.

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TaylorJames1234?lang=en
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/taypalacio/

Last edited by tay on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Personally, I have to agree with Sonario. If the Peril Roulette was (at the very least) an option we could turn on and off, that'd be appreciated.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
tay wrote:
Honestly I like the current classic mode and glad it stays true to the idea of classic mode like melee and smash 64 and isn't tampered with like smash 4. I feel like smash changed classic mode changed up so much in smash 4 the who walk your own path and other things that it didn't feel like classic mode. Peril roulette not being in SSF2 is kind of a good thing because it keeps the classic feeling the same way it did in melee and smash 64 and doesn't tamper the formula.

The original Smash Bros. doesn't have a Classic mode, at least, a mode that goes by that name (it is actually called "1-P Game"). I'll have to disagree with you on that, choosing your path is what makes the Classic mode from Smash for 3DS and Wii U feeling fresh and new. Not matter how nostalgic you feel about the "Classic mode" formula you claimed it has been tampered (which I think it doesn't, on the contrary, it improves it), you have to admit that having a serialized fight scheme, like the original or Melee eventually turns dull and repetitive (the worse being the original 1-P Game, which never changes, no matter what) and SSF2's Classic turns out to be like that. If you think the game should keep that formula, at least it should be on par with Brawl's Classic formula, which at least has some variations on the levels.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:46 am

MGN Username: ;Danny;
Currently Playing: Poker
Waifu: Gwyndolin
Another +1 for Sonario's proposal. Though I don't mind its absence from Beta I hope it gets reconsidered for the full game

Pochiman wrote:
Frank stretches his dick to the other side and asks his son to grab it. Then he ties his balls into a rock, and after that he cuts off his dick with his knife. Then he crosses by his dick.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 am
BR Member

Byllant wrote:
tay wrote:
Honestly I like the current classic mode and glad it stays true to the idea of classic mode like melee and smash 64 and isn't tampered with like smash 4. I feel like smash changed classic mode changed up so much in smash 4 the who walk your own path and other things that it didn't feel like classic mode. Peril roulette not being in SSF2 is kind of a good thing because it keeps the classic feeling the same way it did in melee and smash 64 and doesn't tamper the formula.

The original Smash Bros. doesn't have a Classic mode, at least, a mode that goes by that name (it is actually called "1-P Game"). I'll have to disagree with you on that, choosing your path is what makes the Classic mode from Smash for 3DS and Wii U feeling fresh and new. Not matter how nostalgic you feel about the "Classic mode" formula you claimed it has been tampered (which I think it doesn't, on the contrary, it improves it), you have to admit that having a serialized fight scheme, like the original or Melee eventually turns dull and repetitive (the worse being the original 1-P Game, which never changes, no matter what) and SSF2's Classic turns out to be like that. If you think the game should keep that formula, at least it should be on par with Brawl's Classic formula, which at least has some variations on the levels.

Objection.

• It wasn't called "classic mode" back then because it was the first installment (thus, had nothing to call back to) and it was the ONLY single-player mode (thus, giving it a special name to differentiate it would have been redundant). To say it wasn't the same thing is nitpicking at its worst.
• "Arcade Mode" is standard issue in virtually all fighting games, and for good reason; it provides a quick set of simple matches to pass the time.
• Tampering with the formula (not just with the choosing paths, the other changes like two-stocks-only and all the GODDAMN 8-player matches), didn't make it feel fresh and new, it made it feel in-name-only. The Wii U's implementation in particular was particularly insulting, and, worst of all, did not fulfill the purpose of the mode. I don't play Smash for Intruders and 8-Player s***. I replayed Classic on the other games constantly; on Wii U, I avoid it whenever possible.
• Brawl's was more repetitive than Melee's because the opponents were confined to specific series rather than randomized throughout the entire roster.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am

MGN Username: ASemih46
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta , Minecraft , NFS Most Wanted
What is peril roulette ? :huh:

I can't translate my own language

I wanna see this updates in the SSF2 : Smash Ball, Lucas , Shadow , Ganondorf

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:27 pm

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
ASemih wrote:

Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) wrote:
To recap for those who didn't create an account until after early 2015, the Peril Roulette was a proposed system for Classic Mode where, on higher difficulties, a random buff to the opponent and/or debuff to the player would be applied..

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 pm

MGN Username: ASemih46
Currently Playing: SSF2 Beta , Minecraft , NFS Most Wanted
Sonario wrote:
ASemih wrote:

Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) wrote:
To recap for those who didn't create an account until after early 2015, the Peril Roulette was a proposed system for Classic Mode where, on higher difficulties, a random buff to the opponent and/or debuff to the player would be applied..

Thank you buddy 8-)

I wanna see this updates in the SSF2 : Smash Ball, Lucas , Shadow , Ganondorf

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:32 pm

MGN Username: TaylorGang
Byllant wrote:
tay wrote:

I guess I see your point

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TaylorJames1234?lang=en
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/taypalacio/

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm
 [ 14 posts ]