The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 pm

[ 1132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76  Next
Super Smash Brothers Crusade: !!!0.9.1 RELEASED!!! 
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: KingTremolo
Currently Playing: Super Mario 64, Monster Hunter 4, Sonic Generations
The long-awaited Super Smash Bros. Crusade v0.9.1 is now available for download!

Main Download:
https://gamejolt.com/games/ssbcrusade/52583

Mirror:
https://mega.nz/#!9gM11C6S!ZfhRuG8WLad8 ... IQDuQG2Oww

http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/

Check out the latest news later in the thread or in the following link for a special announcement!

Latest news:
Special announcement

v0.9.0 Demo Trailer!
Watch in 720 and go download!
SSBC v0.9.0 Demo download!

Gameplay: It's a Smash clone. More is explained in the FAQ section below.

Programming Language: Game Maker Language.

Design Docs: Not really sure what goes here, just going off of the sample topic. I'm sure it would be much easier to explain if I was Falcon, but I'm not so I'll just say that it's a LOT of scripts.

Team Members: See "SSBC Development Team" and "Project: Crusade Development Team" sections below.

0.9 Developer Blog Post #1

What is Super Smash Bros. Crusade?

Super Smash Bros. Crusade is a large project built from the ground up and started by three die-hard Smash Bros. fans, Phantom7, Falcon8r, and Dr.MarioX. Our goal is to create a Smash Bros. game packed with characters and stages from the most memorable video games of all time as well as create a Smash Bros. experience that combines the greatest features that all three official Smash Bros. games have to offer.

SSBC Development Team

Jaklub - General Programming, Game Direction
Dettadeus - General Direction, Character Coding, Character Spriting
GigaPichu - Character Spriting
SmashKing - Character/Stage Spriting, Stage Coding, Forum Administration
Mp3 Toaster - General Programming
Dry - Character Coding, Character Balancing
Perfect Hell - Character Coding, Character Balancing
(There are many other people helping out, but too many to list here. A full list will be included in the game's credits)

Inactive/Retired Developers:
Falcon8r - Programming, General Development
Phantom7 - Art and Graphics (Original poster of this thread)
Dr. MarioX - Spriting
Werekill - Miscellaneous
Felipe_9595 - Character Balancing, Stage Programming

System Requirements

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
DirectX 8 or later
DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory
Pentium or equivalent processor
DirectX 8 compatible sound card
128 MB of memory or greater (noted only in official Game Maker help file documentation)
960×720 or greater screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors

Characters currently in Demo version 0.8.4:

FAQs
What types of / How many characters will be included in this game? -- We have quite a lengthy list of fighters (the character roster will total 80 characters, plus alternate forms). There will be plenty of 3rd parties and new representatives from Nintendo games, along with a bonus -- 1 4th party (not originally from a video game series) representative that appears frequently in video games, and that is Goku.

What types of / How many stages are in this game? -- We also have quite a long stage list (app. 60-65) that includes a great variety of past (64, Melee, and Brawl) and original stages. The roster is being changed slightly, but will still be around 65 stages.

Will this game include and Online Play feature? -- This should be in a future update. I plan to have it done before the end of the year.

How many hours a day does the team work on the game? -- There isn't a set amount of time. Personally, some days I may not touch the .gmk, others I might work on it as long as I'm awake. I plan to devote a lot of time to Project: Crusade, but I have a life too, you know! As for the rest of the team, it's still pretty choppy.

Which Smash Bros. game is SSBC going to resemble the most? -- Probably Melee. But some features showcased in Brawl are a part of this game (this does not include tripping!). Overall, though, it tries to be its own game, and it feels very much like that.

What resolution does SSBC run in? 960 x 720. However, we do have plans for making HD versions of the game that will run in 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720.

Will there be NASL in SSBC? Edges have a significant sweetspot area around them, mainly implemented to help out characters with shorter horizontal recovery. The sweetspot is approximately the size of Kirby's body. Also, note that you will auto-grab an edge if you walk off or roll off of it while DI'ing toward the stage.

Lol can I do SHDJCFFL in SSBC? Uhhh, not exactly, but I'll tell you this. Double jumps can be short-hopped. There is fast-falling, but it doesn't cancel upwards momentum. L-Cancelling is in the game as of v0.8. Some moves will autocancel in their last few frames as well.

Will there be [LOLrandom mehanic from other game series]? Mostly, the answer here is no. The game will have the mechanisms present in Melee, for the most part, but even these may only to be some extent.

How many moves do characters have? Here is a full list:
Jab
Forward, Up, and Down Tilts
Dash Attack
Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, and Dair
Forward, Up, and Down Smashes
Grab
Forward, Back, Up, and Down Throws
Neutral B
Side B and Smash B (on some characters, such as Samus and Ryu)
Up B (and Smash Up B on few characters)
Down B
Edge Recovery Attack
Final Smash(es)

Examples of Smash B vs Side B - Samus Super Missiles vs. Homing Missiles, Ryu's EX Hurricane Kick vs. normal Hurricane Kick

How much Hitstun will attacks cause? The hitstun is somewhere between Melee and Brawl, leaning towards Melee, and it depends heavily on the attack being used. Also, throws have an intrinsic 3 extra stun frames which is just enough to allow some combos to occur. Many attacks have extra inherent hitstun, like Snake's Knee and Ryu's Down Tilt, but most normal attacks do not have much. So, for instance, Up Tilt juggling with Mario is mostly dependent on your opponent's failure to escape. This is not to say there are no true combos; in fact, every character in the game so far has at least two true attack strings that occur at specific damage percents. This game is not too combo-heavy, but it has a few. However, there is a combo-counter that lets you know when you successfully perform an attack string.

Are there Final Smashes / How do they work? Well, you have a Smash Gauge below your character's percent monitor on the screen, and this gauge fills up as you pound the living tar out of your enemies. It also fills up a little bit when you take damage, as well. When it's full, it will turn white and say "FINAL SMASH!" That's your chance to pull out all the stops and unleash your character's ultimate attack. You can even adjust the amount of power the gauge will take to fill up in the VS Settings. The default is 200, but you can go as low as 50 and as high as 1000. 50 is a little ridiculous, though, so use wisely.

Is this a Flash game? Nope. We use Game Maker 7 Pro, for specific reasons, like ease of programming and knowledge of the GM language.

Will there be Mac Versions? Hopefully, but it may be a while before that's possible. As Windows (and Lynux) users, we'll have to get our hands on a Mac somehow in order to do that.

How can I insert my own music into the game? Simply insert an MP3 (.mp3) audio file into the SSBC/music/(stage name) folder. The audio file will play at the stage that corresponds to the folder you inserted it in (obviously). The game will display the name of the file - without the extension - at the beginning of a match. You can insert multiple files, and they will be selected randomly during gameplay.

Gameplay Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZ-zqNXSdU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-u4Z44G26I&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by Alexander on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 47 times in total.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:50 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
You should probably update your FAQ, Melee and Brawl have the same hitstun, just Brawl's can be cancelled by airdodges & aerial attacks.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:58 pm

It's great to see this under new command but I still think you guys should upgrade/update your sprites by a lot.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:28 pm

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Graphically the whole game needs a lot of work.
But the shadows and hit effects are nice.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:44 pm

MGN Username: Detta
Waifu: Zinnia
[TSON] wrote:
You should probably update your FAQ, Melee and Brawl have the same hitstun, just Brawl's can be cancelled by airdodges & aerial attacks.

By hitstun, they meant the amount of time between when you're hit and when you can perform actions outside of DI again. I think...
To be honest, about 95% of that post was copied directly from the SWF thread, which I didn't change a whole ton after I got hold of it. Most of what I did was add new forum links and more info on what happened recently.

G0L3M‼ wrote:
It's great to see this under new command but I still think you guys should upgrade/update your sprites by a lot.

I have a spriting team currently in the process of updating quite a few characters. The most recent projects have been Kirby (nearly complete), Meta Knight (Just starting) and Goku (sort of half-way).

If anyone's interested in helping with sprites though, the Spriting Team could always use some new members.

Tid wrote:
Graphically the whole game needs a lot of work.
But the shadows and hit effects are nice.

Again, we're working on it. Before the game changed hands, there was only one actual spriter and everything else was what we could get permission to use.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:45 pm

That's fantastic to hear, keep us posted and good luck!

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:48 pm
BR Member

Hey there, wanna steal some more sprites from us?

Nah, I'm kidding. This looks great. Keep up the good work!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
DensetsuNoKaboom wrote:
Hey there, wanna steal some more sprites from us?

Nah, I'm kidding. This looks great. Keep up the good work!

Please don't joke bout that man =0

Anyway this game I guess doesn't look to bad I mean nearly everything sprite wise should be redone if you ask me... But one of the better smash fan games if you ask me.

Keep on going! I can't wait to see what else you guys got ^.^

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Starting up a massive Stage Roster Discussion to decide which stages stay and which ones get cut and replaced.

Also, The Mother/EarthBound representative poll is now active. It's between Porky and Claus.

And now for some actual game-related news:
Felipe (my coding assistant) managed to get L-Cancelling to work. If you make a shield input while landing, the landing lag will go away. He says it can be "buffered", so if you hold the shield button while the attack is going the shield input will be read as soon as you hit the ground and will instantly cancel the lag. This is coded in every individual attack, so some attacks will be left out for balance purposes (Fox's D-Air being the most glaring example of how broken it would be universally).
As he put it...
Felipe_9000 wrote:
HYESH FALCON KNEE TO KNEE HYESH!

We also have a couple of new stages in the works (Gyromite and Big Blue).

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 pm

Update time!
Online is almost fully functional! Jaklub and I are trying to work out some bugs with the random seed that cause desyncs and crashes, but besides that it runs very well. There's significantly less lag than Brawl's Online mode (and Jaklub says he has a terrible connection) and it's generally consistent. There's also a chat mode so you can talk with friends during the match.
At the moment, it's a client-host system, meaning one person hosts a "server" for the match that another person can connect to. We use Hamachi to connect, but I'm sure there are other programs that work as well.

Here's a couple screens of the absolutely glorious Online menus:
As you can see, you can change your nickname. It will be displayed in-game the same way as in Brawl and Melee. You select your character by pressing "C" then typing in the name of the character.

If we can do a match that doesn't desync, I might upload a video of it on the new official Youtube account.

Also, DK is complete, and I'll be starting on Duck Hunt Dog and Ridley tomorrow. Release is still set for late December.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:50 pm

I haven't had the chance to try this but if it can be synched properly then I can't deny the new teams skill, hope to see more in the future.

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:52 am

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Why are the character choices so bad? Dog from Duck Hunt? Phoenix Wright? Pacman? Tingle?

Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm

With a roster of 80 characters, are four that you don't like really a big issue?
Tingle is actually a very popular character to be in Smash. I personally can't say why, but he is.
Phoenix Wright made it in mainly due to his appearance in UMvC3, proving that he does indeed have some fighting potential if given a lot of creativity with his attacks. He's also a great WTF character and is very popular.
Duck Hunt Dog is actually going to be a very fun character (sprites were just finished and I'm starting on the coding). He's a great retro addition and now you finally have a chance to beat the crap out of him for laughing at you all those years ago. Betcha can't guess what his taunt is.
PacMan is a character from the old roster that we decided to keep. He's extremely well known and has been in countless crossovers with other Nintendo characters.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:04 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
How big do you plan on getting this game? Your 0.7 is already around 225mb (According to the download site) which is more than double ssf2's iirc...

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:14 am

PixelBoy wrote:
How big do you plan on getting this game? Your 0.7 is already around 225mb (According to the download site) which is more than double ssf2's iirc...

SSF2 stays consistent with their sprite resolution, on the other hand Crusade tends to jump around. Lots of their effects and stages are also high res compared to SSF2, this may be the reason. SSF2 has also been focusing on getting things done properly (as of current) and that also reduces the amount of content per demo, all in all it doesn't really matter. (It could even have to do with compression but w/e :sweat: )

Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:19 am
 [ 1132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 76  Next