The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:55 pm

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
SSF Trivia - Bits of info so good, click bait is not needed. 

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
With the Beta out after almost three years of arduous wait, a good way to celebrate is by sharing those good bits of information that surround the game's history and development, and as someone who has indagate the SSF series I'd come with a bunch of them. I've posted some of them on the MG Wiki, but others are also exclusively new for this thread. Open the box and enjoy! And excuse me for the ironic title, it's just that it filled up perfectly all the allowed characters.

Super Smash Flash Trivia: show
  • The name "Super Smash Flash" was coined by mere coincidence by Cleod9 sometime in mid 2005 when he suggested someone (not himself) should create a good Flash-engineered Smash Bros. fan game mainly because he was displeased with the existent fan games such as Super Smash X. Yeah, little he knew he was foreshadowing his first masterwork.
  • Super Smash Flash started as an action-oriented flash game starring Blade, with Buzzers from Sonic 2 standing as enemies. When adding more enemies, Cleod9 implemented the SA-X from Metroid Fusion, this addition made him realize the similarities to a SSB game and his project so he reworked it into the SSB fan game we know and love.
  • That said, Blade and Samus were the first characters coded into SSF.
  • Speaking of the SA-X, the sprites for Samus in SSF are actually the SA-X's.
  • SSF also got some demo versions, Cleod9 released at least two of them. You can play a recovered version here.
  • If you played the demo above, then you can guess now why Emerald Hill Zone looks different in the stage selection screen, that's its Beta form, a little oversight by Cleod9.
  • Kira Buckland, using the pseudonym of Kagome, served as the announcer of SSF. She also did voice samplings for Naruto (way before Darcy Maguire did it for Isaac for SSF2) in the same game and voiced the girl student in the short, School. She would later become the voice of Trucy Wright in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and most notably, 2B in NieR: Automata
  • People knows SSF was launched on August 21, 2006 but little know the .EXE version was launched seven days later on August 28.
  • If you ever wondered how Cleod9 picked who would be playable in SSF, he did so by looking for sprite sheets on the web that he found "suitable" for the game. He was unable to find sheets for characters like DK or Yoshi, which explains their absence, conversely, that's the reason Mr. Incredible got in.
  • Burly-Brawl Melee is named after an infamous scene from the film The Matrix: Reloaded, the music you can heard while playing that mode also hails from that movie. Cleod9 is surely a big fan of the Matrix movies because he also included a Matrix reference in School.
  • For some reason, Mario is the only character facing to the left in SSF's character selection screen, the rest is facing to the right.
  • The Floating Islands stage from Adventure mode was so infamous for how unfair, laggy and tedious it was, that a skip button was added in the upper right corner of the downloadable .EXE version, if one would click the button, the stage will be cleared automatically and the player will receive the points the player eligible for so far as if the stage was cleared normally.
  • Though Cleod9 has more talent coding than spriting, that didn't stop him from creating the sprites from Pokémon Stadium in SSF. People could ask him for a copy before he revamped the website in 2008.
  • It seems that even before Cleod9 launched SSF, he already had plans for a sequel as the earliest mentions of SSF2 came just a couple of days before the original launch of SSF. This could mean SSF2 began development almost immediately following the launch of SSF.
  • The first demo, v0.1a, was announced on September 23, 2007 and launched on Christmas day of 2007, a great gift nonetheless.
  • Ichigo was the first character coded into the game, that's why the early how to play videos by Cleod9 star him.
  • I'm one of the lucky fellas that got a demo version release on his birthday... a shame I didn't followed the game back then.
  • Cleod9 opened the SSF2 Developers Forums on April 19, 2008. To be a dev back then, you simply had to ask for it and Cleod9 would simply evaluate you.
  • The only devs that still remain from the original 2008 staff aside Cleod9 are TSON, ElvisDitto, Zero Insanity and Sirtopeia. (If I'm forgetting someone let me know)
  • Former devs from the original 2008 staff that still frequent the forums are Lulu (formerly RoyMaster4), Dark Ermac, Term (formerly TerminX) and those are all I can remember.
  • The MG Wiki was founded on May 28, 2008 by beloved developer TSON. Back then, being a developer automatically granted you adminship powers, a great mistake that tainted the wiki's reputation as devs created page with their ideas that were yet to be approved.
  • Among the pages devs created for the wiki on its early days include the Premier Ball (basically how Master Ball works on Beta), a game mode similar to the Mario vs. Luigi mode from NSMB called Star Snag Brawl and the fan-favorite Final Form Brawl. Of course, none of them happened.
  • According to former dev, stoat.tamer, SSF2 was originally projected to be launched on the summer of 2008, he even wrote that down on a page in the second DOJO!!!
  • Speaking of that, there has been a total of seven iterations of the Smash Flash DOJO!!! and none has lasted actively more than two years.
  • Before becoming a dev, Tid opened the third iteration of the Smash Flash DOJO!!! but said website was never considered an official version.
  • The animations of the game used to be available for public viewing and submission. Most of them are archived here.
  • The animation archive was hidden away after the roster was publicly revealed to have changed following v0.7's release.
  • In the early years, as SSF2 was a more openly-made project, there were chances sprites made by non-devs could be used on the game. A perfect example is Cook Kirby, I actually made that recolor and animated some of the frames, or in v0.7, when series symbols were introduced, devs actually provisionally used some of the symbols I did for the game and reused for this old collage. SSBC also used some of them without credit.
  • Before victory screens were properly introduced, Kirby had a victory pose using GBA sprites already programmed into the game. As victory screens did not exist yet, and the pose was replaced with Kirby's updated sprites by the time they did, this pose can't be seen in normal gameplay.
  • The development revamp for v0.6 was the point where SSF2's updates became more extensive and loaded with more content, should this revamp should not happen, SSF2 might had been released sooner than we thought, but maybe as a less polished version compared to the Beta.
  • That revamp is the reason SSF2 is called a reboot and not a sequel to the original anymore.
  • When adding voice samples, devs actually test multiple recordings to see which fit the characters the best, for example DK had his voice from the Mario spin-offs when he was coded before devs eventually felt his grunt voice from Brawl was better.
  • Lloyd is the only character to have exactly the same sprites in both SSF and SSF2.
  • Sora has gone through the most moveset changes in SSF2.
  • Mario is the character that has had the most sprite changes and recolors in SSF2.
  • The record of the longest gap between demo versions is of 34 months between v0.9b and the Beta version. Conversely, the shortest gap is of 33 days between v0.3b and v0.3c.
  • I actually leaked Wario-Man's special attacks on the MG Wiki a day before v0.7 was released. Steven actually found that out but forgave me.
  • Steel Diver was actually leaked on December 2015 before devs properly introduced us to the stage in the Dev Blog #8 on April 2016.
  • SSF2 Beta has some convenient key commands: pressing Ctrl+Shift+M will mute or unmute the music in game at any time (this was apparently added at the last minute just before release by Cleod9 himself); pressing Ctrl+M on the character select screen at Home-Run Contest will convert the measurements between feet and meters.
  • The Nintendo 3DS stage has two rare colorations: Orange and Green. The chances to get any of those colors if of 1/400. The reason for this is because they are based on unreleased colors that Nintendo actually displayed at E3 2010 when the company first unveiled the Nintendo 3DS.
  • Also, there are chances CLEODBOT's face may appear on the bottom screen of the Orange and Green colorations.
  • Those are all the bits of trivia I could come up with but if you have bits and you wish to share them as well, I will add it for you here. I'm quite sure I don't have my information all mixed up but if it happens I messed up some with some information, you are free to correct me and point me where I went wrong, my word is not a law. Which other trivia regarding SSF1 and 2 you have knowledge for?

Last edited by Byllant on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:36 am

Currently Playing: bye bye MG
Byllant wrote:
People could ask him for a copy before he revamped the website in 2008.

are you saying we cant ask cleod for his pokemon stadium ssf1 anymore

Last edited by Nonya on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 am

MGN Username: MGoku9
Currently Playing: SSF2, Crash Tag Team Racing, Dragon Ball Budokai 2
"Steel Diver was actually leaked on December 2015 before devs properly introduced us to the stage in the Dev Blog #4 on April 2006."
It was actually in the Dev Blog #8.

- Devs are still accepting palette swap requests. A shame that even if the most part of the requests are possible and better than the ones in the game, they won't accept many.

I am the base for Event #11: Laagggggg

== SSF2 ==
Flash Card #10

RIP Forums. Hope you're having a good day, though! Unless you main Marth /s.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:44 am

Byllant wrote:
[*]When adding voice samples, devs actually test multiple recordings to see which fit the characters the best, for example DK had his voice from the Mario spin-offs when he was coded before devs eventually felt his grunt voice from Brawl was better.

I think this was my fault, actually... I felt like the spin-off DK voice fit better and coded him that way. Other devs didn't agree. I guess it's for the best now, to keep them close to their Smash counterparts.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:29 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
• Link to Super Smash X, mentioned in the first bullet in the OP: http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/SonicMa ... SmashX.htm
It's little wonder why Cleod thought "I can do better than that".

• The specific Dojo update that listed the erroneous Summer 2008 release date was Sephiroth, who was slated to be an expansion character: https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/mc ... 0713214211

• The animations of the game used to be available for public viewing and submission. Most of them are archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20090203184 ... /index.php
The animation archive was hidden away after the roster was publicly revealed to have changed following v0.7's release.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:29 am

MGN Username: 194
Currently Playing: most likely Celeste
Waifu: Curly Brace
Kagome, better known as Kira Buckland, would later become the voice of Trucy Wright in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and most notably, 2B in NieR: Automata.

Avatar and signature pics by Semicolon.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Updated with the new trivia provided, thanks.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:31 am

MGN Username: Popcioslav
Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, Len'en 4: Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle
Waifu: Sandbag
- In v0.9b, a glitch in the early Online mode made it possible for Sandbag to win against a player if they self-destructed. Because Sandbag was not playable at the time, at the results screen, the announcer and victory fanfare remained silent, and Sandbag itself stood still. Sandbag also has hitbox data in 0.9b, despite not being playable in that version.

- Floating Islands stage from Adventure Mode from SSF was so infamous for how unfair, laggy and tideous it was, that a skip button was added in the upper right corner of the downloadable .EXE version, if one would click the button, the stage will be cleared automatically and the player will receive the points the player eligible for so far as if the stage was cleared normally.

Quote:
The animations of the game used to be available for public viewing and submission. Most of them are archived here.
The animation archive was hidden away after the roster was publicly revealed to have changed following v0.7's release.

I think this link is broken or at least the archives themselves :cry:
194 wrote:
Kagome, better known as Kira Buckland, would later become the voice of Trucy Wright in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and most notably, 2B in NieR: Automata.

Oh wow, oh holy moly

Seems like no matter what kind of quality SSF was it did start a career for a lots of people.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 am

MGN Username: Game-spidr
Currently Playing: Russian Roulette
Waifu: Spiders
SSF2 0.9b has 5 cut stages Skyworld, Temple of Time, Butter Building, ice climbers, and Lake of Rage. Only ToT and Skyworld have preview screens (however when Skyworld is loaded into the game hovering over the skyworld stage displays a big X) the other 3 are just slots with text displaying their names it is unknown how much development went into those 3 but Skyworld is almost fully complete aside from having lower sprite quality than other stages and every part of the stage being able to be dropped through. Lake of Rage was later implemented into Beta while Skyworld was in previous versions of SsF2. Waiting Room is also visible in the stage selection screen of the photos though it was likely used for testing purposes.
The images i reference are from YaDad's stream and can found on the SSF2 wiki here: http://mcleodgaming.wikia.com/wiki/Skyworld

Ichigo combo video
YouTube Video:

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
>I'm one of the lucky fellas that got a demo version release on his birthday... a shame I didn't followed the game back then.
>I actually leaked Wario-Man's special attacks on the MG Wiki a day before v0.7 was released. Steven actually found that out but forgave me.

Don't you think you're treating this thread a bit too much of an autobiography or somethin?
I mean, I have a bit of history with this forum where I got to revive the SSF2 Videos Thread with a dumb bloopers video I made... but had I made a similar thread to that I wouldn't have included that bit of trivia.

Anyways I got one:
Kirby it's one of the few characters to get a taunt completely removed, despite the animation corresponding perfectly with one of his taunts in Brawl and beyond and the animation still being used in his victory animation.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:33 pm
BR Member

Before v0.5a, Kirby used sprites based on his GBA games. v0.5a switched over to new sprites edited from Kirby Super Star Ultra, but the change was incomplete, and Kirby switched back to GBA sprites during certain attacks as a result.

In the demo before victory screens were properly introduced, Kirby had a victory pose using GBA sprites already programmed into the game. As victory screens did not exist yet, and the pose was replaced with Kirby's updated sprites by the time they did, this pose can't be seen in normal gameplay.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 pm

Kirb-Star wrote:
>I'm one of the lucky fellas that got a demo version release on his birthday... a shame I didn't followed the game back then.
>I actually leaked Wario-Man's special attacks on the MG Wiki a day before v0.7 was released. Steven actually found that out but forgave me.

Don't you think you're treating this thread a bit too much of an autobiography or somethin?
I mean, I have a bit of history with this forum where I got to revive the SSF2 Videos Thread with a dumb bloopers video I made... but had I made a similar thread to that I wouldn't have included that bit of trivia.

I added those as mere jokes, also, because in the end they are also trivialities. The one from the demo on my birthday was added after I was making counts on the demo releases and I always look at the dates. The leak one was because SSF2 was a victim of it, and mine was so insignificant it played no importance whatsoever, that's exactly what a trivia is.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 am

Waifu: zero suit wario
yeah okay let me add my piece of trivia the dojo was updated once during my birthday with "Special Moves" i was out in the forest near my grandparent's cabin and almost get killed by a f*** bear and i came back all thirsty and see the post being posted that day this piece of trivia it's INCREDIBLY important to the history of ssf2 :pikachu:

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:20 am

:roll: Hmm... OK whatever you say. Updated the trivia with new bits.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 pm
SSF2 Developer

MGN Username: spid3y916
Currently Playing: SSF2
You should probably fix the trivia where it says "I" and "me" by giving the proper names.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 pm
 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next