The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Back Room Application 
BR Member

MGN Username: Thomas Terminator
Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo Master Chief Collection, Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Name (aka Handle): Vet MGers (2010 - 2014) know me as Thomas Terminator, while the new kids on the block know me as x2WiN

How old are you?: 19 (almost 20)

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):

My main is Yoshi. Not only is he my favorite character in the Mario series, but I seem to enjoy SSF2 more as Yoshi. I feel that he is rather underrated and has potential that is either being overlooked or just hasn't been discovered (such as Egg Roll aiding Yoshi's recovery, or Ledge canceling Egg Throws that are easier to perform in SSF2 than they are in Melee, etc).

Wario and Mario are my secondary characters. Before v0.8 was released I mained Mario before switching to Yoshi. SSF2's iteration of Mario has almost the same feel that Mario has in the official Smash games.

Wario is my low tier pick for v0.9b mainly because there's potential that can be executed by Wario in the right hands that doesn't feel like its being noticed.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.): I play all 4 official Smash titles at a competitive level.

My main in SSB64 is Captain Falcon, with Mario, Luigi and Yoshi as secondaries. I can effectively Z-Cancel and can utilize my characters combo games well both in tourney and casual play.

In Melee, my mains are Luigi and Yoshi, with Captain Falcon as my secondary. I'm recognized as one of the better Luigi players in my region, noted for my wavedashing skills and baiting skills to put up a fight against top tiers and top professional players in my region. My Yoshi is no different, as I can effectively parry (although it can be inconsistent as I haven't worked on my Yoshi as much as my Luigi), but I can ledge cancel my Egg Throws and abuse my double jump super armor effectively. L-Canceling skills are pretty decent thanks to having to learn it for effectively playing Falcon.

In Brawl, I main Wario, due to his weird archetype of being a higher mobility heavyweight (plus not to interfere with my Luigi and Yoshi skills in Melee). I don't play Brawl competitively as much as I used to due to me getting more active in the Melee and Smash 4 competitive scene in my region.

In Smash 4, I main Shulk due to the uniqueness of his move set, plus being a game changer at times with the Monado Arts (in addition, I'm a huge Xenoblade fan haha). Mario and Wario are my secondaries for the potential disadvantageous match-ups that Shulk might have. Mario is due to the combo game he possesses and Wario for pretty much the same reason I mained him in Brawl.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?

I've competed in quite a few middle/high school tournaments since 2009, placing in top 8 in Brawl (usually 1st place) during the days when I only played Brawl competitively. When I joined the local Melee scene (Known as Black Wolf Smash in Eastern Washington) back in 2013, I was getting significant results, but due to the matchup spreads that Luigi and Yoshi have (plus the skill that the top players in my region have) the only peak placement I have gotten is 17th in Smash 4 and Melee, usually coming out of losers bracket. Usually these local tournaments have Melee as the main event, with Smash 4 and PM joining the list. We also have Smash 64 and SSF2 as side tournaments at our events.

The only national tournament I've participated in was Smash @ PAX 2015, where unfortunately I did not make it out of pools, and was bodied by HugS on stream in Melee ahahahahaha xD

When did you start playing SSF2? I started playing SSF2 in v0.1a, and started hosting small tournaments in my area around the time v0.6 came out.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain. Mine would have to be Yoshi's Story (you could see that coming from a mile away probably XD) Platforms to work with, close quarters combat, and close blast zones, which work with my play style.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others? I feel that the tier list is right with Meta Knight being top tier due to his air combo capability, multiple recovery options (which offer great recovery mix-ups), and edge-guarding capabilities.

Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others? I feel like the tier list is also correct with Sora being bottom of the barrel. His combo game is great and he can rack up damage rather quickly (especially in the air) compared to the rest of the cast, but his recovery is just lackluster imo and can be easily punished. Plus a lack of reliable KO moves with a combo oriented game just holds Sora back from reaching his true potential.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why? I would rework the lower tiers to help them gain an edge on these notorious top/high tiers, either giving them buffs (Ex: Wario gaining part of the power he had in v0.8b that made him top tier) or giving them changes like Sora is getting when Beta comes out.

What is your view on items in competitive play? I feel items are a random gimmick and would have a negative impact on competitive play and therefore shouldn't be allowed. Yes, the argument can be made that in the official Smash games, G&W's Judgement is a random gimmick, along with Luigi's misfire on his Green Missile, but when you're about to 4 stock that DK in tourney and achieve victory and then he grabs a Home-Run Bat that randomly spawned right next to him and slams you into next Sunday and eliminates all your stocks and grabs that E-Tank and restores all that damage you just applied to him and wins the last game of Grand Finals, yeah that would make me a salty sailor.

G&W's Judgement and Luigi's Green Missile misfire mechanics aren't as gimmicky as items are. Yes, they can decide a stock (or even a set for that matter), but they have at least have a balance to them (G&W number 9 can be rather difficult to get and doesn't instantly KO you on most stages at low percents, Luigi misfire doesn't do that much shield damage, and it can launch Luigi farther than he would want to if you dodge it)

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam. Yes. My username is thomas.terminator.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible. I would like to join the Smash Flash BR to contribute more than just an old-school fan that has stuck around for a while to a project that always amazes me and those that I show it to. I can contribute by giving MU charts to characters that aren't so popular in the meta atm (like Yoshi for example which I'm in the works of making one), along with giving constructive criticism on tier lists and MU charts made by our fellow users and players. I have knowledge of how frame data works and how to read it from my research to improving my skills in the competitive scene in the official titles.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)

Attachments:
File comment: Egg Roll utility in aiding Yoshi's recovery.
Untitled Replay.2015-12-06.v0.9.1.198255.ssfrec [4.07 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:59 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
BR Stagelist as of 1st May 2015: show
Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
Dream Land
Tower of Salvation
Castle Siege
Jungle Hijinx
Mirror Chamber
WarioWare Inc.
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Dracula's Castle

Hey there!

Using the stagelist I've enclosed at the top, answer the following questions:

1) What is Yoshi's best stage, and why?

2) You are Mario, and you come across a DK player in bracket who will not switch. Detail the process of stage striking for Game 1, stating your reasons why you think this would occur.
Note: I'm not sure what characters you are/aren't familiar with. It's fine if you aren't an expert on every character, so if you really have no clue, feel free to state this and I'll ask you another common character.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:51 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo Master Chief Collection, Super Smash Bros Ultimate
DSantaClaus wrote:
BR Stagelist as of 1st May 2015: show
Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 3
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:
Dream Land
Tower of Salvation
Castle Siege
Jungle Hijinx
Mirror Chamber
WarioWare Inc.
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Dracula's Castle

Hey there!

Using the stagelist I've enclosed at the top, answer the following questions:

1) What is Yoshi's best stage, and why?

If you play a more defensive Yoshi (Ledge cancelled egg throws, baiting and faking your opponents out and punishing them for their mistakes), his best stage would have to be Dream Land. The stage's blast zones are rather far out compared to other stages (the ceiling is also pretty high), which makes Yoshi harder to KO due to his weight and his aerial mobility. Plus there's platforms that Yoshi can utilize for his combo game. If you utilize Egg Roll's utility in your recovery, you should be able to survive over 200% with good DI.

If you're more offensive on your Yoshi game (eggscellent combos using a mixture of Egg Lay, aerials and finishing off with a smash attack since they can kill at earlier percents or a good Uair/Fair), I feel that Yoshi's Story would be the best stage. Yoshi's Story has smaller blast zones and a shorter ceiling compared to Dream Land and when utilizing the platforms on YS, Yoshi can get KOs rather early on, whether it's off the side with a Fair into F-Smash, or juggling with Eggs and finishing with a nice Uair, or even an Up-Smash off the top platform.

2) You are Mario, and you come across a DK player in bracket who will not switch. Detail the process of stage striking for Game 1, stating your reasons why you think this would occur.
Note: I'm not sure what characters you are/aren't familiar with. It's fine if you aren't an expert on every character, so if you really have no clue, feel free to state this and I'll ask you another common character.

Let's say I strike first. Being Mario, I would first strike Battlefield. I feel that Donkey Kong benefits way too much from the platforms on Battlefield and can juggle me to death with his amazing aerial combo game if he gets below me.

Donkey Kong gets second strike. I would expect him to ban Final Destination. Donkey Kong doesn't have any easy ways to set up his juggle game on me except for grabbing me or getting a f-tilt on me. I also have a projectile (Fireball), so I can zone out Donkey Kong due to his large hitbox unless he's able to powershield most of my fireballs. Otherwise, it's a beneficial stage for me being Mario.

Now it's back to me. I would want to ban Yoshi's Story due to it having the same nature as Battlefield, but with smaller blast zones and short ceiling. Again, Donkey Kong's combo game is even more overwhelming on YS because there's little to no room for me to run anywhere due to how small YS is compared to Battlefield.

Donkey Kong is up again. I would expect him to ban Pokemon Stadium 3 because unlike Battlefield and YS, he doesn't really benefit from the platforms like he does on the previous stages mentioned, which can work well in my favor with my aerial combo game and on the ground.

Last stage remaining is Smashville, which is a stage that both of us don't have an significant advantage over each other because the platform aids us both in aerial game, mobility and in recovery.

Comments in bold.

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:28 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: w/ emotions
Waifu: joey
For stage choices, please use the stage list given to you in the previous post.

1) Analyze the Yoshi vs Fox MU in detail. Make sure to consider each character's options in the punish game, neutral, off-stage, etc. Also don't forget to include a ratio

2)You are playing against a Pikachu in a tourney as Mario. Assuming the Pikachu doesn't ban any stages, what would Mario's best stage counterpick be in that MU?

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:12 pm
BR Member

dopeness wrote:
For stage choices, please use the stage list given to you in the previous post.

1) Analyze the Yoshi vs Fox MU in detail. Make sure to consider each character's options in the punish game, neutral, off-stage, etc. Also don't forget to include a ratio.

Neutral Game: show
Yoshi's Neutral
Yoshi is limited on what options he has in my opinion (and this is goes across the board against all characters, not just Fox). You have Nair (which is the quickest aerial you have, plus it has decent priority),and you have F-tilt and D-tilt (good poking tilts). This is where double jump canceling will be your best friend because abusing that super armor that Yoshi gets from his second jump will help you be the victor in the neutral. Your other attacks are either situational or not viable in the neutral because a decent Fox won't allow you to get close enough with U-tilt, and Fair has a bit of start up lag, which can leave you open for a hard read or a punish from Fox.

Egg Lay falls under this situational category as well because it has a little bit of start up and ending lag. If you miss it, you're left wide open for Fox to deal some damage on you. If you land it however, it can lead to a decent amount of damage racking when you follow up with a Bair (or Dair. although more damage, it is less safer to do because you have to be up close, which can lead to an aerial attack from your victim upon breaking out of the egg). Speaking of grabs, if you land a grab on Fox, Yoshi can chain grab him till 35% with Fthrow, and from 35% to 60% with Dthrow, provided that Fox doesn't tech or DI properly. This is situational because of the start up lag and the ending lag if you miss on your grab can be punishable, just like Egg Lay. Egg Throw also falls under the situational category as well because it's highly dependent on what stage you're on. In addition, your eggs move a bit slower compared to the official Smash titles, which makes them easier to dodge or even reflect/powershield.

Fox's Neutral
Fox's neutral seems remarkably better, especiallyy against Yoshi. Unlike Yoshi's eggs, Fox's blaster lasers are invaluable during the neutral. Unless Yoshi can powershield extremely well (despite it being easier to powershield in SSF2, it's close to impossible to powershield EVERY laser), you have free harass and damage, which is nice because Yoshi's weight and recovery options make him hard to KO horizontally at times.

Fox also has his shine, which if Yoshi gets close to go in for a u-tilt juggle, he can shine, jump cancel and immediately follow up with a Nair, which can leave Yoshi exposed for combos if he doesn't tech properly. There's more options than that, I just haven't seen many other options besides that one.

Like Yoshi, Fox's Nair is a decent tool in aerial approaches due to damage and how quickly it come out. Fox can also use F-tilt as a poking tool. Unlike Yoshi however, Fox's Dair is much more safer to use than Yoshi's because it's harder to DI out of than Yoshi's Dair is, resulting more damage. Plus, Fox has more follow up options after Dair (unlike Yoshi) like shine, f-tilt, or d-tilt.

Punish Game: show
Yoshi
Yoshi's punish game is rather decent (not too bad, but not too great in my opinion), especially in the air. Yoshi can punish tech fails with Fair, because you can combo one into another, and finish Fox off (and pretty much any other cast member) with a well read F-Smash or a D-Smash. U-Smash is situational depending on the stage, as it can kill on YS, but not on stages like Dream Land without heavy damage on Fox as an example. Yoshi can also punish Fox with U-tilts and Uair if Fox allows Yoshi to get under him.

Fox
Fox's punish game seems to be significantly better than Yoshi's, especially on the ground. Any time Yoshi tech rolls (due to his rather slow tech roll), or messes up a grab/Egg Lay, Fox can capitalize on it using a grab, a shine, or a tilt (probably u-tilt or d-tilt) or a smash attack (U-smash, which can easily turn into a KO with a sweetspotted uair).

Off Stage: show
Yoshi

Off stage options is arugably where Yoshi can get the edge on Fox.

In the edge-guarding department, Yoshi's aerials (especially Nair) has a higher priority over Fox Illusion. Fire Fox also has quite a bit of starting lag, which Yoshi can easily punish with Dair, Fair or Bair. In addition, Fox is also a fast faller, which can make him subject to getting gimped. Yoshi can also ledge cancel his Egg Throws, making it easy to rack damage after the neutral.

In the recovery stat, Yoshi is rather underrated in terms of recovery in my opinion. If you go off the stage horizontally, make sure you have your second jump. If so, you're pretty much guaranteed to get back on the stage due to Egg Roll stalling you in mid air, which stops your downwards momentum from fast fall physics. When you use your second jump, it'll go higher than what you usually expect, making it possible to recover from almost any distance horizontally. You might need assistance with UpB at times, but other than that, you should be able to make it on the stage (or at least the ledge to grab onto) without the use of a small egg jump. I use this whenever I go off stage and I know I have my second jump because I'm more than likely to get back on the stage.

Despite a good off-stage game however, if you double jump cancel and you go off the edge and are either in mid animation or just knocked off, you become the unlucky winner of a Golden Gimp'd Award.

Fox
Fox seems to have good options as well, but I feel that Yoshi outshines him in this aspect.

In the edgeguarding department, Fox has his shine, which slows down his fall speed in mid air, plus sends his mid air opponents and a downward angle. This can be used to interrupt Yoshi's double jump if Yoshi is in mid air. Fox can also use his Bair to keep Yoshi off the edge, as this is the safest aerial to use and it sends Yoshi away from the edge when hit.

But for recovery, Fox's recovery is rather predictable. As mentioned in Yoshi's off-stage secion, Fox Illusion does cover a good distance, but Yoshi's nair out-prioritizes it. Fire Fox has some start up lag, and is punishable with a Yoshi aerial if you're not in motion yet. In addition, Fox is a fast faller, which means he's going down if he doesn't act quick.

TL;DR

Neutral: Fox dominates.
Punish Game: Fox is better on ground and has more options, while Yoshi prefers the air, although doesn't have much options.
Off Stage: Yoshi has the better options in my opinion.

Ratio: 35/65 in Fox's favor.

dopeness wrote:
2)You are playing against a Pikachu in a tourney as Mario. Assuming the Pikachu doesn't ban any stages, what would Mario's best stage counterpick be in that MU?

I would take Pika to Dream Land. With the blast zones being so far out and the ceiling being so high, Mario's extended recovery makes survivability against Pika much easier. Plus, Mario can utilize platforms to combo Pika with Uair, Bair, Star Spin and finishers like Fair or a smash attack (F-Smash/D-Smash typically. U-smash if Pika has enough damage on it).

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:09 am
 [ 5 posts ]