The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 pm

[ 4 posts ] 
it's taken me 7 years to watch and finish evangelion 

spoilers in this thread

so story is, since I joined internet communities at 14 and started to watch anime at that point, I tried like 5 times to watch evangelion but never could make it past episode 11 because I both found it boring and slow, and hated shinji

now as an adult and since it came out on netflix, I was like, okay, let me give it another chance. I don't have the angst I had when I was younger when I thought "shinji is a terrible character to relate to and justifies feeling hating yourself and feeling depressed, if you relate to him that's a problem". and I mean, if you lose your mum when you're like 4 and your dad completely ignores you, of course you're going to have some problems (and I mean you see that with asuka as well)

After finishing it and really enjoying the last two episodes, honestly, I couldn't be happier with the message that was being told. Life is hard, it always will be hard and if you're depressed it's not like you will never be depressed again. But you have the power to make the world a happy place, you have the willpower to do so. Not everyone hates you, it's all in your head, you have to ignore the voice. I love how positive this is and I saw the point of eva isn't to justify being depressed but to empathize with it and provide a solution, to show that it's all just your perspective, life is worth living despite your thoughts. That's beautiful.

other thoughts: the fact that gendo thought he would worsen shinji's life by being a part of it, as he reveals when he's about to die in the movie. man. what a way to humanize him and show he and shinji are more similar than it seems
also: I find Kaworu overrated, he seemed to me more of a tool (giving Shinji someone who, for the first time, tells him/gives him love, but being someone he has to kill regardless). as a character, being only in one episode made his plotline very rushed and left no room for development, aside from that his character speaks more poetry than actual realistic dialogue. As a tool he's good but I didn't feel any connection to him

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 am

at this point what makes me wonder the most is like. what would have happened if I watched evangelion to the end when I was 14? I feel this could have sharply changed my life, this one small choice of watching a series to its finish. Would I have been able to appreciate it as I am now and can understand the characters better? Would the message have completely gone over my head?

Or, considering my life when I was 15/16, would it have changed my perspective on the world and given me a more optimistic viewpoint than the negative and depressed one I had at that age? I have literally no clue. but this has been shaking my head for the past week and I find it crazy to think about

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 am

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon
madam im adam wrote:
After finishing it and really enjoying the last two episodes, honestly, I couldn't be happier with the message that was being told. Life is hard, it always will be hard and if you're depressed it's not like you will never be depressed again. But you have the power to make the world a happy place, you have the willpower to do so. Not everyone hates you, it's all in your head, you have to ignore the voice. I love how positive this is and I saw the point of eva isn't to justify being depressed but to empathize with it and provide a solution, to show that it's all just your perspective, life is worth living despite your thoughts. That's beautiful.

Don't watch End of Evangelion then, cause that doesn't sugarcoat how life works at all. :bowser:

In all seriousness though, I prefer the ending of the Anime to EoE. Sure EoE's more fitting, but I think Shinji finally managing to overcome himself and prevailing over his self-hatred and self-doubt and use Rei's/Lilith's gift to do good instead of badi s nice way to end the story.

Also plenty of good fanfiction out there. Some Eva fanfics I've read (some of them dead tragically) are truly great works.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:39 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
madam im adam wrote:
at this point what makes me wonder the most is like. what would have happened if I watched evangelion to the end when I was 14? I feel this could have sharply changed my life, this one small choice of watching a series to its finish. Would I have been able to appreciate it as I am now and can understand the characters better? Would the message have completely gone over my head?

Or, considering my life when I was 15/16, would it have changed my perspective on the world and given me a more optimistic viewpoint than the negative and depressed one I had at that age? I have literally no clue. but this has been shaking my head for the past week and I find it crazy to think about

as someone who first watched through it when i was like 16, yeah it definitely changed my life

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:09 pm
 [ 4 posts ]