The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

[ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 41  Next
Album a day in February -- with MG! 

can't wait!

and I uploaded my calendar with imgur becouse tinypic is s***

list: show

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:27 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Good idea. You know you don't have anything listed for the 30th though?

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:15 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Auraka wrote:
and I uploaded my calendar with imgur becouse tinypic is s***

same

(good calendar)

also move Pure Reason Revolution to the 15th if you want us to listen to it on the same day!!

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:21 pm

alright this is my final build
yep: show

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:36 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
I'm probably not gonna have much free time tomorrow so I decided to listen to my first album tonight (it's technically saturday so it's okay!!!)

The Lyman Woodard Organization - Saturday Night Special

It's a really funky soul album from the 70's with a lot of atmosphere and heart. I found it to be super fun and engaging while also managing to be really relaxing and laid back for the most part. It's a really fun record. I'm still humming "Joy Road" right now as I type this up. It's really groovy and smooth during some parts and more frenetic during others. The organ parts really make the album, they're stupendous. I'm pretty sure Lyman Woodard is an organist, so yeah.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good record, I really enjoyed listening to it. I look forward to giving it more attention and listens in the future.

I'm not that into number scores usually but for the sake of this month I'll try to put a score for every album I listen to.

7(ish)/10, definitely recommended for any fans of soul/jazz music, or just anyone really. Favorite Tracks: Joy Road, Creative Musicians, On Your Mind.

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:11 am

MGN Username: blossom
Okay!! starting day 1 in the early AMs cause tomorrow is mad busy.

Bella Lune - Abstract Visions

so I originally found this artist when a random japanese chick added me on last.fm, and this was one of her overall top artists. I've listened to 'Transmissions' many times already, but this is my first time going over the album
thoughts: show
1. Out Of Control
Album starts out w/ this cool track. She sings in a high pitched voice which really fits everything else.
Not much to say, but cool track.

2. Transmissions
Album has a smooth transition from track 1 to track 2, love that stuff.
This is the one song I know by Bella Lune, and I really love this song. 9/10 song imo

3. Never Where
Starts out cool for like the first minute but it doesn't pull me in really. It kinda just sounds like the same loop for half the song, this track is kinda boring and it doesn't help its 6 minutes.

4. Underwater
Starts out with pretty ocean sounds, relaxing!!
This song has a lot going on at once. Not a bad thing especially after the last track.

5. Full Moon On A Half Night
these lyrics are uh, ~deep~
yeah I don't understand s***
song sounds good

6. Silent And Still
Quote:
Death creeps silently upon us, opening her cruel hands... She's coming to take us with her, into her eternal land...

I really love how she sings this song. Again I feel the music, her voice and the way she sings just go so great together!

7. Interlude
good!

8. Blissful Escape
wow! was not ready for the fast pace of this song. It has the same feel as the previous songs but sped up hard. legit love this track

9. Coil
Listening to this more than once it doesn't really have lasting power. average

10. Don't Walk Away
another average track

11. A Recurring Dream
pretty sounds & voice for a minute and a half

12. Moonbow
I can't tell if my standards raised a bunch the past hour or its just another average track.

7/10 album
really 'darkwave' sums it up. some goth chick singing w/ some dark tunes
mixed feelings. has some awesome tracks but honestly after listening to the album a few times I don't feel a lot of the tracks have lasting power.

give transmissions and blissful escape a listen

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:21 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
#1: Midori - Second
Jazz/Punk

starting the month off with a band i'm familiar with

small write up: show
Second was a pretty fun listen. I've already heard Hello Everyone, Nice To Meet You, We're Midori, so i came in expecting more of the same. more of the same is essentially what i got, but that's actually really good in this case because i LOVE that album.
for those who haven't listened to Midori before, "more of the same" is a frantic sounding combination of jazz and punk. the jazz side of the band is made up of keyboardist/pianist Hajime and bassist Iwami Keigo (who plays an upright bass), while the punk side is made up of vocalist/guitarist Goto Mariko and drummer Kozen s***. on paper, these two genres shouldn't really mesh, but Midori execute it flawlessly.
album opener "Doping☆Noise Noise Kiss" is a perfect example, switching between calm jazzy sections and messy punk freakouts, until it devolves into a small jam session towards the end.

that's essentially the formula for most songs on this album (sans the jam session part), but with a runtime of about 33 minutes, it doesn't get old and it always sounds great.
the only thing i can see turning people off this album are the vocals, which range from "cute jpop idol" to "angry japanese older sister", but i think they're great and fit perfectly with the music itself

overall i'd give it an 8/10 and recommend it highly to anyone who hasn't listened to Midori before, or people who've only checked out We're Midori like myself. definitely added to my main library.
recommended tracks: Doping☆Noise Noise Kiss because it's great and also the only one i can find on youtube

notice how i started off trying to sound somewhat professional and then gave up halfway through the second sentence.
oh well. pretty sure i got my main point across, and it's almost 4am here so meh. sweet album

Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:54 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
blossom wrote:
I can't tell if my standards raised a bunch the past hour or its just another average track.

nah, it's sadly not uncommon for some albums to lose steam about halfway or 2 thirds of a way through. i've listened to a few albums like that.

blossom wrote:
mixed feelings. has some awesome tracks but honestly after listening to the album a few times I don't feel a lot of the tracks have lasting power.

yeah, i've felt that way about a few albums as well, even moreso on a bigger sort of scale. i may enjoy an album a whole bunch for a few weeks but then not think it's all that great later, after i've had time to soak it in

blossom wrote:

her vocals kind of turn me off, even if the instrumentation is a tad interesting at times (just a tad!)
not really my cup of tea but i'm glad you enjoyed the album

Scott wrote:
the only thing i can see turning people off this album are the vocals, which range from "cute jpop idol" to "angry japanese older sister", but i think they're great and fit perfectly with the music itself

i'm not the biggest fan of midori but i've listened to their first album at least 3 or 4 times and i can definitely see the appeal. one aspect i enjoy is the bipolar kind of vocal delivery you just described. it's pretty cool

Scott wrote:
notice how i started off trying to sound somewhat professional and then gave up halfway through the second sentence.
oh well. pretty sure i got my main point across, and it's almost 4am here so meh. sweet album

hahaha don't worry about it man. none of us are professional music critics or anything.

i'll probably check it out, i still have midori's first album in my library and i enjoy it on occasion. cool

good job u guys

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:19 am

First ablum!; Jordan Rakei - Groove Curse

Soul music is certainly not the type of stuff I usually listen to, but I enjoy this genre surprisingly well, that is, if other soul songs are as good as these

It has really clean grooves and sublime bass riffs. And Jordan has such a good fitting and smooth voice, he sings just within the measure of the beat making everyting feel super calm. Overall the songs sound super refreshing. His first single “Street Light” was okay, but ‘A Tribe Called Government’…are you kidding me? Man what a good tune with those drums right there! Album's 4th song called Alright feels really spacy and is my personal favorite

Yeah my favorite two tracks of this album are A Tribe Called Government and Alright

I give it a 6,5~/10

Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:48 am
Site Moderator

I've been interested in Hello Everyone for a while (mostly because of the album cover), and that sample sounded neat so I might listen to it later

Okay but my first album is some METAL

ObZen by Meshuggah
Preview: Bleed

I usually don't listen to metal, because my tastes in it are very specific. I don't like heavy for the sake of heavy -- few bands can pull off heaviness well for me. The Dillinger Escape Plan, Strapping Young Lad and Meshuggah come to mind.

To be honest, it's not Meshuggah's technical playing or their progressive elements that impress me. But it's f***' heavy and it has a nice groove. On first listen ObZen doesn't impress me as much as Koloss, but that album needed some time to sit with me too. It's got its share of cool moments and some headbang chugga chug chug stuff. It'll never be one of my favorite albums, but for what it is it's solid and I'll probably give it a more dedicated spin when I'm in more of a metal mood (like I was when I made my calendar... That mood's passed, lol)

Rating: Okay-Good (I should point out when it comes to ratings that I'll almost never give something a s*** or a great on the first listen)

Calendar

Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:42 am

feedback for you dudes: show
Lukepi wrote:
The Lyman Woodard Organization - Saturday Night Special
7(ish)/10, definitely recommended for any fans of soul/jazz music, or just anyone really. Favorite Tracks: Joy Road, Creative Musicians, On Your Mind.

yaaa boyy you were talking about the atmosphere of this album last night w/ me, i'm not really into soul mainly because i never really touched it but i'm def. going to check out more of this :D
blossom wrote:
Bella Lune - Abstract Visions

really 'darkwave' sums it up. some goth chick singing w/ some dark tunes

never really explored gothic stuff like darkwave, but it was interesting and weird enough, i'll be lookin' into bella lune a bit more, cool stuff
Scott wrote:
#1: Midori - Second
Jazz/Punk

i can appreciate the manic and frantic style blends, so that's pretty cool
Auraka wrote:
First ablum!; Jordan Rakei - Groove Curse

Soul music is certainly not the type of stuff I usually listen to, but I enjoy this genre surprisingly well, that is, if other soul songs are as good as these

It has really clean grooves and sublime bass riffs. And Jordan has such a good fitting and smooth voice, he sings just within the measure of the beat making everyting feel super calm. Overall the songs sound super refreshing. His first single “Street Light” was okay, but ‘A Tribe Called Government’…are you kidding me? Man what a good tune with those drums right there! Album's 4th song called Alright feels really spacy and is my personal favorite

Yeah my favorite two tracks of this album are A Tribe Called Government and Alright

I give it a 6,5~/10

more soul music! real calm stuff, and that guy's voice is sexy and smooth as hell, great stuff
Term wrote:
Okay but my first album is some METAL
ObZen by Meshuggah
Rating: Okay-Good (I should point out when it comes to ratings that I'll almost never give something a s*** or a great on the first listen)

ImageMeCHUGGAH DUNDUND DU-DUD-DUN-DUNImage
nice albums to all you dudes!

Devin Townsend Worship: show
So once upon a time Term was like "yo nix listen to devin townsend because that's what everyone ever needs to do" or maybe it was "woof woof woof" either way, Term showed me a canadian dude (who was born in the same area i was born in!!) who was a lot of gusto, variety, and all kinds of musical tricks that keep me coming for more, and I do, because this guy has been VERY BUSY in the music industry, both in the past and present, in fact he released a new DOUBLE album a few days ago (also kicks a**) and I'm going to see this guy on the 30th of this month, so I thought it would be a good way to kick off the month with a Devin album I have yet to hear.

Actual Album Review time: show
So right off the bat, the song Truth is the opener, hot damn it's a really cool track to open with, a nice repressed but majestic guitar riff slowly opens up the song, then you get attacked with all types of heavy riffs, choirs, high pitched nananana's and what have you, then boom, that s*** goes all drone-y with a pad and you KNOW things are pretty dramatic here, Christeen then follows, it's more of the radio rock single of the album, it's alright nothing special, but then BAM Bad Devil plays, this song is catchy as HELL. it's a SWING METAL song! if you like either jazz, metal, or just fusion of genres or just unique song in general, boom there you go, already fulfilled that on the 3rd track. War is next, the "longest" song on the record (will explain the quotes later) and it's a pretty cool prog. metal song, you get your fill of what you expect from standard progressive metal, the next song Soul Drivenis, well, very soulful, Devin's voice (which is one of the most versatile instruments in Devin's arsenal) goes really emotional here, you can enjoy this song and then out of no where, you will start to cower, this song becomes terrifying with its atmosphere right at the end, creepy as hell, this is best explained by the fact Devin found out he was bipolar and this record is a product of his realization, which this song expresses the deepest, in my opinion. Really hits you in a multitude of ways. Ants is a short, fun, psychotic song, if you were stuck in a straight jacket in a padded room, this song would be your soundtrack, played over and over again, I mean it's only 2 minutes and a second long, but that would just prove how maddening it is. Colonial Boys is special, it's like a Mr. Bungle song; it's just crazy carnival rock, fun track! Dynamics follows up, you get lots of cool stuff here, orchestral backing up the track, explosive wall of sound, dramatic stuff very much showing off like the first track, this track will pump you up! Unity at first was a let down, the same kinda cool and innocent electronic synth pattern repeating, but then it opened up to so much more, some strings came in, the drums really shined, and i appreciated the song a whole lot more, and actually proves to be a very nice and calming song, almost tugging my heart strings and telling me it's going to be ok, I feel very happy with this song, a healing tool as much as an entertainment outlet, I've said before War is the longest song, but technically Unity is, for it has about a minute of silence, if you trim off that, War takes the lead. Last song Noisy Pink Bubbles (which is a hidden track, due to Unity's silence) is a funky, uncomfortable, and a generally guilty song. Devin sing is a froggy, rapey voice, think of an uncle trying to cop a feel of a teenager or something... I need to take a shower after it, but it's all just in good fun, a good song and leaves the grody bits after the intro, so you can all take it. This album gets a 9/10

Ok boxed all the s*** so you can read what you want to, the review is somewhat long, I will review in different styles depending on the album.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 pm
Site Moderator

Infinity's a hell of a ride. It's sort of the result of his first bipolar episode and as such it's his most uncontrolled, schizophrenic work. Every bit of it is interesting and totally unique on the album.

Might just spin it myself later. Glad you liked it dude bro

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:33 pm

hell yeah it's a great record, 0 filler, ALL THRILLER

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:36 pm

MGN Username: blossom
@ luke
joy road is a really cool track man, gotta check that album out 4 sure

@ scott
glad you liked the album! midori is really solid
have you heard any of mariko's solo career yet? it's not midori but it's something to check out

@ auraka
6.5~ sounds right. not gonna buy the album or anything but the tracks you linked were p pleasant

@ term
i loved that quiet section in bleed by meshugga, and then the heavy stuff starts again and it just sounds really cool
my library lacks this kinda stuff so bad, so it's extra nice to listen to something with a different feel for once

@ nixter
album was also a pleasant listen, i listened to truth then skimmed through the rest of the album on youtube. sounds coooool. added to my list, def gonna get that some time

god i love this thread i'm so excited for the rest of the month

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:58 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Graveyard - Graveyard (I'll just write this out while I listen to it)

The first track on the album, "Evil Ways" is nothing special. It's just a boring song.
The second track, "Thin Line", is a huge improvement. It's pretty unique for a bluesy metal song, with a cool hook. and it's overall just a great song.
3. "Lost in Confusion" is reminiscent of the first track in lots of ways, but it's not quite as dull. I'm noticing a lack of guitar solos, which is always a problem. It also ends really abruptly for some reason
4. Don't Take Us For Fools - I like the verse riff a lot. So far this album has been really chill, i should smoke some weed to it one day.
5. Blue Soul - So chiiiilll! Well it's actually kind of intense. An intense chill. like a bob dylan song
6. Submarine Blues - A short little ditty.
7. As the Years Pass BY, The Hours Bend - Sounds kinda like a Hendrix song, except not retarded. I figured now would be a good time to point out that the lyrics are pretty good.
8. I can't listen to Right is Wrong, the 8th track, because it's blocked on youtube. :(
9. Satan's Finest - Starts off real bluesy, gets harder and edgier as it goes. Again, great lyrics. Wraps up the album all blues-like.

So overall I'd probably give this album a 7/10. The best song off the album is Thin Line, which is a great song. and that is my review :mrgreen:

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:29 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 41  Next