The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
Yoshi 
SSF2 Developer

I think there was a really pro SSF2 Yoshi player at Apex or something. It was on Stream too. Like, the Yoshi was so fast, attacks were popping out one after another like it was SSBM Fox or something lol

Not sure what his name was...I dunno, was it Crow or something?

It was on Battlefield IIRC, and he really utilized the Platforms well.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
You also can't use Melee Yoshi, who has much more options and tools, to SSF2 Yoshi as a compares on why Yoshi's good, or better than another character. They are similar incarnation of the same character playstyle, but they do not share all the same identical qualities.

Yoshi has to land twice or more as many hits as Mario to get his opponent to 100%; and even then, he still has problems confirming a KO, outside of Fair gimps. I can do 70% short-hop Uair juggles-chain on Ichigo just fine offline. As well as DJC Nair-plane across stages. DJC is his saving grace in being viable. It improves his combo potential and makes up for his lack of mobility. And having good aim with Egg-toss can cover him decently. Mario still has a strong combo game with all-rounded above-average damage. Can't play him right online, but offline I can get Uair juggles into Fair without gaps in hit-stun; something I originally thought was impossible this demo. Bair chains & confirms as well. Chain-Dthrow consistently, and land 2, sometimes 3, Fair in a row to combo. The fact that Yoshi has to first get-in and approach, pull-out full 10-hit combos for reasonable damage and avoid taking damage. And can be a bit of struggle land his kill moves, but even landing them at 120%, opponents have a good chance to survive. Maybe Yoshi not bad in this regard, but he's definitely a step below Mario in overall potential. DJC mobility can only compensate for so much for his other weaknesses.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
I think that one major buff from canon games that you're ignoring is that not only can Yoshi jump out of shield, but that combined with his other defensive tools (invulnerability to shield pressure, DJ super armor), he has one of the best defensive and anti-pressure games in SSF2. He's very difficult to force rolls or spot dodges on, and he has the same DJ trades that he has in canon games. Once someone devotes enough time to the character to really utilize his tech, I think Yoshi will climb up many people's tier lists. (I nominate DescendedSun to show us the light.)

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:02 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Zapperrix
I don't see why people consider Yoshi to be a weak character. If you factor in his double jump, U-spec, weight, and fall speed; he has some of the highest survivability among the cast. His double jump also gives him the best OoS options in the game. With DJCs, he has crazy offensive potential (especially with platforms) and excellent mobility. While he didn't change much, his only real issue last demo was his bad matchups against the top tiers; and from what I tested his smashes got stronger (please correct me on this) and due to their speed and deceptive range, they become even better options for him. While he might not be top 5 in my eyes, he's still very good.

ZERO_OR wrote:
Also their is no such things as GODS.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:56 am

MGN Username: gEmssbguy13
Currently Playing: Smash Bros, FNaF, Undertale, GMod, Delver, Xenoblade, ect...
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I think that one major buff from canon games that you're ignoring is that not only can Yoshi jump out of shield, but that combined with his other defensive tools (invulnerability to shield pressure, DJ super armor), he has one of the best defensive and anti-pressure games in SSF2. He's very difficult to force rolls or spot dodges on, and he has the same DJ trades that he has in canon games. Once someone devotes enough time to the character to really utilize his tech, I think Yoshi will climb up many people's tier lists. (I nominate DescendedSun to show us the light.)

Ha lacks range a priority that alot of characters have, no move of his can really stand up to characters like Zelda or Ichi without getting the hit first.

Zapperrix wrote:
I don't see why people consider Yoshi to be a weak character. If you factor in his double jump, U-spec, weight, and fall speed; he has some of the highest survivability among the cast. His double jump also gives him the best OoS options in the game. With DJCs, he has crazy offensive potential (especially with platforms) and excellent mobility. While he didn't change much, his only real issue last demo was his bad matchups against the top tiers; and from what I tested his smashes got stronger (please correct me on this) and due to their speed and deceptive range, they become even better options for him. While he might not be top 5 in my eyes, he's still very good.

Eh, he's weak to most because of his seemingly low kill and damage potential throughout his moveset. Which I won't lie to think this is true. Yoshi can do all he wants for damage...combo's, chain grabs, DJCs, egg camping, ect... But when it all boils down to it, you need to remember that all this is useless if you can't take a life of your opponent. Yoshi has just this problem most of the time, but no where near as bad as Mario.

He isn't that bad, infact, I agree with ya. He's got plenty of ups, but he's got plenty of weaknesses as well. People just haven't taken the time to try and learn the dino like he needs to be played. So they underestimate him, alot.

Sure, he definitely isn't bottom or low tier material anymore, but he definitely isn't high tier ether. His quite standard abilities are really just outshined by most of the cast, which is why many plain out ditch him.

Though honestly, chaning fair mutiple times into itself is plain awesome imo. 8-)

Last edited by gEmssbguy13 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:40 am
BR Member

gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Ha lacks range a priority that alot of characters have, no move of his can really stand up to characters like Zelda or Ichi without getting the hit in first.

Zapperrix wrote:

Eh, he's weak to most because of his seemingly low kill and damage potential throughout his moveset. Which I won't lie to think this is true. Yoshi can do all he wants for damage...combo's, chain grabs, DJCs, egg camping, ect... But when it all boils down to it, you need to remember that all this is useless if you can't take a life of your opponent. Yoshi has just this problem most of the time, but no where near as bad as Mario.

He isn't that bad, infact, I agree with ya. He's got plenty of ups, but he's got plenty of weaknesses as well. People just haven't taken the time to try and learn the dino like he needs to be played. So they underestimate him, alot.

Sure, he definitely isn't bottom or low tier material anymore, but he definitely isn't high tier ether. His quite standard abilities are really just outshined by most of the cast, which is why many plain out ditch him.

Though honestly, chaning fair mutiple times into itself is plain awesome imo. 8-)

True he lacks some priority, but is range is fairly good and he has a decent projectile. However, he is very effective at getting in opponent's faces because of DJC's, which can get inside normally near-unpunishable moves. He has a mediocre kill game but not a bad one: fair can meteor smash for early kills off of a lucky ftilt or other launcher, nair can kill off the stage at reasonable percents, usmash and fsmash can be comboed into and can kill relatively early, and dsmash can kill fast-fallers early, and can also be comboed into or used to punish missed sweetspots. He has quite a few aspects of his game that are unique and the best in show: the best OoS options, the arguably best defensive game, the best combo breaker in the game (DJC nair or uair), and arguably the best launchers and jugglers in the game. He also has a decent recovery distance-wise that is very hard to edgeguard, a mediocre kill game and projectile, extremely good aerial mobility, and average range.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:39 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Ha lacks range a priority that alot of characters have, no move of his can really stand up to characters like Zelda or Ichi without getting the hit in first.

Zapperrix wrote:

True he lacks some priority, but is range is fairly good and he has a decent projectile. However, he is very effective at getting in opponent's faces because of DJC's, which can get inside normally near-unpunishable moves. He has a mediocre kill game but not a bad one: fair can meteor smash for early kills off of a lucky ftilt or other launcher, nair can kill off the stage at reasonable percents, usmash and fsmash can be comboed into and can kill relatively early, and dsmash can kill fast-fallers early, and can also be comboed into or used to punish missed sweetspots. He has quite a few aspects of his game that are unique and the best in show: the best OoS options, the arguably best defensive game, the best combo breaker in the game (DJC nair or uair), and arguably the best launchers and jugglers in the game. He also has a decent recovery distance-wise that is very hard to edgeguard, a mediocre kill game and projectile, extremely good aerial mobility, and average range.

Meh, Samus does it better. Including the airspeed/air control.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 am

MGN Username: coollogic16
So, Yoshi seems pretty good.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:43 pm
BR Member

gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Zapperrix wrote:

Meh, Samus does it better. Including the airspeed/air control.

LOL at nested quotes.
Samus doesn't have super armor on a double jump, juggling that Yoshi has, a worse recovery, few good launchers, a worse grab and throws, worse OoS options, and worse defensive options in general. I think of them as completely different characters: Yoshi is a defensive tank who thrives off of mid-range play and fading in and out the opponent's range, punishing bad approaches, and capitalizing on mistakes. Samus is far more of a zoning character who depends on missiles and charge shot to keep people out and to approach.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:04 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
yoshi is a rushdown character with a huge deadspot in mid range. he can just jump in and tank your hits and hit you with a nair sourspot and combo you to the end of the stage. his projectile is too laggy and his movement is too clunky to be defensive unless you're doing djc bair walls or something

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:28 pm

MGN Username: SoldierSunday
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Sometimes i'd take doing the ACT over edgeguarding a Yoshi in this game.

he has so many options oh my goodness

" You know what neither Melee nor Brawl have ? Controller input history in training mode." - 228zip, 2013

Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:13 am

Oh Samurai, if you only knew Samus's true power as an offensive tank....

Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:26 am
BR Member

Apparently I need to see a better Samus than any I've seen, because I've never thought much of Samus as an offensive character.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:15 am

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Apparently I need to see a better Samus than any I've seen, because I've never thought much of Samus as an offensive character.

Bro, you can combo into fair mutiple times and then end it with dair or nair.

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC

So does anyone have any tips for Egg Roll? I can't seem to use it properly.

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:04 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
gEmssbguy13 wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

Bro, you can combo into fair mutiple times and then end it with dair or nair.

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC

So does anyone have any tips for Egg Roll? I can't seem to use it properly.

It cancels when you roll off ledges. Hit them near the edge, edge cancel, double jump fair. It works.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 pm
 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next