The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 pm

[ 11 posts ] 
GameCube Controllers Ranked 

What's your favorite GameCube controller for SSF2?
Official Nintendo GameCube Controller 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Third-Party/Non-Standard GameCube Controller (MadCatz, WaveBird, ASCII, etc.) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
PDP Wired Fight Pad 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
HORI Battle Pad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hyperkin ProCube 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Other (Please specify) 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7

GameCube Controllers Ranked 
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
EDIT: This thread is about GameCube controllers specifically, since that's the layout most people who go for controllers prefer to use. There are other threads for controllers in general.

---

The GameCube controller is the traditional controller layout for Smash. While many of us do fine with a PlayStation or Xbox controller, it's a matter of personal preference, and a lot of us just don't feel comfortable playing Smash without the GC's layout.

But, there are a lot of GameCube and GameCube-style controllers to choose from. I'm going to tell the ones I've experienced, and you can chime in with your own.

---

Official Nintendo GameCube Controller
Controller Cost: $50 USD
USB Adapter Cost: $55 USD (Nintendo), $22 USD (Mayflash)
Comfort: A
Responsiveness: A
SSF2 Utility: B
External Utility (will I JUST use this for SSF2?): C
Ease of Setup: B (Nintendo adapter), A (Mayflash adapter)
The tried-and-true GC controller, and chances are the kind you probably already have. It's fine if you already have the resources to set it up. If you already have them. If you don't, it's not worth it unless you have an actual Wii or GameCube that needs another controller; the cost is just too prohibitive.
Where it suffers is the missing buttons. To use PlayStation terminology, it does not have buttons in the L1, Select, Home, L3, or R3 positions. Not only does that severely limit its potential in non-Smash games, it also causes some trouble in SSF2 as well. You see, you'll probably need L1 due to how the native control support in SSF2 is set up. I've most commonly seen it mapped to Dash or Taunt (speaking of which, there's another issue; the D-pad is terrible.)
It's the only option with truly analog triggers, though, so that's something to consider. SSF2 doesn't use them, but other games do.

PDP Wired Fight Pad
Controller Cost: $17-30 USD
USB Adapter Cost: $20 USD (Mayflash Classic Controller adapter)
Comfort: C
Responsiveness: B
SSF2 Utility: A
External Utility: B
Ease of Setup: A
This is what I personally used for a while. Being a Classic Controller, it has most of the buttons that the GC proper's missing with the exception of L3/R3, so it's more versatile. However, there are two things that keep me from really recommending it.
First is the grips. They're very bulky, especially compared to the GC proper. I mainly put up with them because I personally have big hands.
Second is the false analog triggers. ZL and ZR are meant to feel like the original GC's shoulder buttons, but they're actually digital, so instead it just feels as if there's a very big deadzone to them.
Overall, this is mostly a budget choice.
It is the easiest to set up by far, though. The adapter is cheap, easy to find, and plug-and-play.
I've never held its competitor, the Hori Battle Pad, before, so someone will have to fill me in whether or not that's better.

Hyperkin ProCube
Controller Cost: $20-30 USD
USB Adapter Cost: $20 USD (Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller adapter), $0 (Bluetooth exploit possible)
Comfort: B
Responsiveness: A
SSF2 Utility: A
External Utility: A
Ease of Setup: C
This is, if you ask me, the best option for a PC GameCube controller. It has all of the missing buttons, the grips are sleeker and feel more natural than the Wired Fight Pad (though are still differently shaped than the GC Proper), and ZL/ZR actually behave like the digital buttons they are, which for SSF2 is a boon.
The main drawback to this is the difficulty of setup. The adapter, although cheap, is in short supply. If your computer has Bluetooth capabilities, there are ways to connect it through that, but it's tricky and a potential security risk.
Great if you have the means, but if you don't, settle for the Wired Fight Pad or Battle Pad.

Last edited by Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Currently Playing: bye bye MG
tbh i'd have to give pdp a B on comfort, but i guess it comes down to what you're used to

that and the fact that they look pretty damn cool makes them my controller of choice in just about everything that doesnt require analog triggers

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:32 am

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
PDP is probably the best GCC to claw / double-claw with (without having to do modifications). Slightly difference in buttons-spacing, plus elevated sticks make it comfortable and efficient for both types of grips. The gripe I have is its Y-button being tall, so it makes it difficult to slide from 'B' to 'Y' without having the muscle-memory to lift your finger up slightly. I've been meaning to shave down the button on my DK-Pad.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:57 pm
BR Member

Anyone use any not on the list? Like the Hori Battle Pad, or third-party GC controllers?

...I still want to know how that Phantasy Star Online keyboard/GC monstrosity performs.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:01 pm

MGN Username: TaylorGang
Currently Playing: SSF2
I been thinking about getting Hyperkin ProCube thanks for this review glad to see other people using it for SSF2

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TaylorJames1234?lang=en
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/taypalacio/

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:51 pm
BR Member

I found my old MadCatz controller. I'll take it for a spin in a little while, see how it holds up to the others.

Also, I added a poll, just for fun.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:47 am

MGN Username: RavinRaven
Currently Playing: SSF2, The Game of Love
Waifu: Luna (Gwain Saga)
Uh... Keyboard all the way? :)

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:39 pm
BR Member

No joke, I'd try it if it weren't so expensive. Maybe I'll save up for it sometime.

Now. As for the one I said I found and was gonna test;
MadCatz GameCube Gamepad
Cost: Discontinued; used prices range from $12 to over $60
Comfort: B
Responsiveness: C
SSF2 Utility: B
I've always had a soft spot for MadCatz's stuff in the early 2000s. I loved the grips on their controllers and the see-through designs. This one's no exception. Its main flaw is in its durability, or lack thereof; MadCatz control sticks and shoulder buttons tend to go wonky; I even remember having problems with that as a kid. Also, the buttons have a generally stiff feel to them, and the Y button is much taller than on any other controller... but the D-Pad is better than the official controller's. I wonder how they managed that.
Anyway, these usually come with a Macro functionality, which gives it a few function points. But otherwise, not worth investing in as a main controller. Just like in the old days, save it for Player 2.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 pm

MGN Username: SuperDevon
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
I use an Xbox 360 controller, worked fine until it broke by stepping on it by complete accident someonehelpmenowendmymissery :cry:

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 pm

MGN Username: Skewy
Currently Playing: No lag
Steam controller is dank for beta, fits the hands nicely and good deadzones

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:17 am
BR Member

SuperDevon wrote:
I use an Xbox 360 controller, worked fine until it broke by stepping on it by complete accident someonehelpmenowendmymissery :cry:

riplip68 wrote:
Steam controller is dank for beta, fits the hands nicely and good deadzones

This thread is about the differences between GameCube controllers specifically. There are other threads for controllers in general.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:53 am
 [ 11 posts ]