The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:59 pm

[ 11 posts ] 
SSF2 Balancing Discussion 

MGN Username: Vega
Currently Playing: The Beta
Just going to pull this thread out of left field, but yeah, it's a thread that can focus on discussing the balance (or balance issues) of characters or stages in Super Smash Flash 2 Beta. I think it would be fun to see what the community thinks about the balance of the game so far.

And maybe if we whine really loudly, they'll listen to us.

Last edited by Mysteric on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:35 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Rift of the Nova wrote:
Just going to pull this thread out of left field, but yeah, it's a thread that can focus on discussing the balance (or balance issues) of characters or stages in Super Smash Flash 2 Beta. I think it would be fun to see what the community thinks about the balance of the game so far.

And maybe if we whine really loudly, they'll listen to us.

The only PROBLEM I've noticed is :goku:'s ridiculous back throw chain. (EDIT: This problem has since been patched.)

Everything else I've heard, there's not enough evidence yet.

Last edited by Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 pm

MGN Username: FluffyRuff
Yea, even when playing meta knight, being stuck in :lloyd: s infinite jab isn't what I would like to call fun/competitive. :hmph:
Imo, he's ssf2 beta ice climbers to me (melee reference).

I think :metaknight: might need a little buff.

:metaknight: s up smash can't kill unless it's a really high percent, or at-least doesn't kill as early as most other characters up smashes do.
But maybe that doesn't need a buff.

Like I said in a :zerosuitsamus: thread, I think controlling where her up b goes might make recovering a little easier?

Also a curious question, why is :zerosuitsamus: up b bringing them down instead of sending them up? Idk if this happens, but doesn't it make the person it hits in a situation for edge guarding let them come closer to down air you? Any other :zerosuitsamus: mains out there experience that or seen how good her up b could be?

Just my opinions, no need for hate comments 8-) .

Also to note, most of what I said here could be wrong, but most of this stuff I've said is my experience when playing online players (mostly laggy matches so escaping using down special was obviously hard, at-least for me).

Practicing: :yoshi:

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I personally believe that the developers need to look at Sora's kit and realize that his power isn't there. His combos are, just not the power he needs to actually close off a stock efficiently.

Oh, and they should probably look at Galaxy Tours and probably make it to where all five variations could be selected on the stage select screen, via a secondary screen when selecting the stage itself, or putting them in their own spot all together by moving the list around. It'd help out for people who don't like the randomness.

And a personal pet peeve of mine is how Peach's Down Smash does ridiculous damage.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:48 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Rift of the Nova wrote:
Oh, and they should probably look at Galaxy Tours and probably make it to where all five variations could be selected on the stage select screen, via a secondary screen when selecting the stage itself, or putting them in their own spot all together by moving the list around. It'd help out for people who don't like the randomness.

This. I used to be highly in favor of legalizing Galaxy Tours as a counterpick, but then someone in the Back Room Discord pointed out how the randomness could be abused in a tournament setting.

Savvy, eh? wrote:
Ok so. The way I see it, Galaxy Tours should absolutely be a no-go in order to avoid opportunities for scumminess and grime.
Picture this:
Player 1: *counterpicks Galaxy Tours*
- Match Starts, layout isn't what Player 1 was hoping for. -
Player 1: "Oh, my bad, I have to fix my controls."
Quit match, fix controls, pick Galaxy Tours again.
- Match Starts, much better layout for Player 1. -
Player 2: "Shoot, my controls are messed up too. Hang on a second."

Absolute nightmare.

I think that alone is reason enough to ban the stage, without taking into account the camping opportunities present in some layouts.

That argument's what convinced me to be in favor of banning it.

I don't think a second screen is necessary, though. Random should still be the default, because that's kind of that stage's thing. I think choosing a specific form should be like the official games; holding down a button while it's loading. Maybe the four directions and Shield to switch between the five.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) wrote:
Rift of the Nova wrote:

This. I used to be highly in favor of legalizing Galaxy Tours as a counterpick, but then someone in the Back Room Discord pointed out how the randomness could be abused in a tournament setting.

Savvy, eh? wrote:
Ok so. The way I see it, Galaxy Tours should absolutely be a no-go in order to avoid opportunities for scumminess and grime.
Picture this:
Player 1: *counterpicks Galaxy Tours*
- Match Starts, layout isn't what Player 1 was hoping for. -
Player 1: "Oh, my bad, I have to fix my controls."
Quit match, fix controls, pick Galaxy Tours again.
- Match Starts, much better layout for Player 1. -
Player 2: "Shoot, my controls are messed up too. Hang on a second."

Absolute nightmare.

I think that alone is reason enough to ban the stage, without taking into account the camping opportunities present in some layouts.

That argument's what convinced me to be in favor of banning it.

I don't think a second screen is necessary, though. Random should still be the default, because that's kind of that stage's thing. I think choosing a specific form should be like the official games; holding down a button while it's loading. Maybe the four directions and Shield to switch between the five.

That could definitely work and be possible for the developers to do. Hopefully they do implement this at some point in Beta's life cycle.

Also, they should find ways to make some of the stages more competitive, too, while retaining their fun aspects.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 am

MGN Username: riku434
Currently Playing: Project M
Waifu: Joseph Joestar
Kirby needs:
-More hitstun on Up tilt so it can combo better
-A stronger Bair so Kirby for better and more reliable kill options.
-Stronger Dair. Doesn't have to be 0.9b strong, just stronger than the current Dair (the current Dair isn't very good)
-Maybe make F-Smash a little stronger
-Make Down Smash a bit stronger, it's somewhat weak in Beta.
-Increase Kirby's grab range.

With these changes Kirby should have an easier time killing and combo better.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:20 am

MGN Username: obi_nation
Currently Playing: with my limit!
remove isaac from the game i think thats fair

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:00 am

MGN Username: FluffyRuff
Hmm, how about a little more range (just a little) on :metaknight: s down special and or back air?

Practicing: :yoshi:

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:21 am

MGN Username: Skewy
Currently Playing: No lag
Pikachu's down B could potentially knock enemies to the side rather than up, idk it would be a bit less ridiculous. even making it back into a spike would be more desirable

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 pm

peach turnips need better priority
bowser up b less ridic
remove isaac
buff zss and bbm

upthrow nerf 1.0.2 on sonic was unnecessary
megaman isn't THAT broken but he's very annoying to play against atm (isaac too)
sandbag needs more mobility, even if nerfs are needed to compensate. He's just not really that fun beyond a casual level
give gnw better throws >:^(

In general I have more issues with the game as a whole with the majority of the top tiers nerfed. Killpower seems to have gone down significantly, with many of games I do 650+ damage. It's just much more slow paced and floaty, and I hate that sm4sh feeling.

Also, less shield stun please. I really don't know who thought the extra shield stun was a good idea. Shields are so bad in this game.

Main: Maindentity crisis
Secondaries: :fox: (might pick up as main) :link:
Pockets: :goku: (might pick up as main) :lloyd: :megaman: :marth: :ichigo:
For Fun: :falco: :captainfalcon: :peach: :gameandwatch: :jigglypuff:

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 pm
 [ 11 posts ]