The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 6:38 pm

[ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next
Tails 
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Ok, thanks for the tipps, I managed to 2-stock and 3-stock one Puff online. Too bad I forgot his name, still gave me a hard time.

Another topic: RemPrower brought this up as a joke in the Online Matches thread, but what if Tails would throw/roll a bomb at his opponent as a new Neutral-B? Not that much range, but fast and gives you a good oppurtunity to follow up. Could also help with Sword characters like Marth, as you can stop their approach pretty solid. If this idea is just bad, tell me. I am just a guy with too many ideas :sweat:

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:07 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
The last character I have no idea how to play, and that ends now:

How do you play Tails? From what I've seen he's really fast and just runs around a lot, but I'm trying to pick him up. I can tailsdash most of the time, but I'm not really sure how Tails is meant to be played. What combos does he have, what MU's are good and bad for him, what AT's I should learn, etc. Thanks for the help in advance :)

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:49 pm

MGN Username: Bomono3
Currently Playing: Some platformer
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
The last character I have no idea how to play, and that ends now:

How do you play Tails? From what I've seen he's really fast and just runs around a lot, but I'm trying to pick him up. I can tailsdash most of the time, but I'm not really sure how Tails is meant to be played. What combos does he have, what MU's are good and bad for him, what AT's I should learn, etc. Thanks for the help in advance :)

understand that you have some massive priority, and understand that disjointed hitboxes are the enemy, from there your on your own.

My main is tails.
My secondaries are peach and fox.

My soundcloud (no relation to other accounts of the same name, its a long story)
https://soundcloud.com/caffinluvstmgc

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:15 pm

MGN Username: JollyJuggernaut
Currently Playing: SSF2, Minesweeper (lol), SSBB, SSBM
Could someone give me a quick rundown of tails as a character? I don't understand him and I've only played Remmy and Bomono a couple of times.

Edit: Just noticed CodeSamurai just asked this. My bad.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:23 am
BR Member

JollyJuggernaut wrote:
Could someone give me a quick rundown of tails as a character? I don't understand him and I've only played Remmy and Bomono a couple of times.

Edit: Just noticed CodeSamurai just asked this. My bad.

Side B. His other moves are pretty good too.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:38 am

MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
I'll check through my replays and post a couple of good ones. I can't tell you too well how to play him, but you can watch how I play him and attempt to imitate what makes sense to you.

Obviously the 1st thing you want to do is to know your moveset and what each attack does. Another thing you will want to understand is Tails has fantastic tech chasing and combo ability. I just changed my fighting style again about two days ago. My success with it has been an overbearingly massive improvement.

Lastly there are three advanced techniques you want to know about.

1st would be fakies. Jump in the air and charge a spindash. Before letting go of the special button, jump in the air while still holding it. you will cancel the spindash and perform a jump, which you can then perform another command instead.

2nd is dashing upspecial. It's very straightforward. Just use upspecial at the beginning of a dash and you will shoot forward a far distance with it.

Lastly is the ever coveted pseudo wavedash. Jump in the air and charge a spindash. Land on the ground while still charging. immediately after releasing special, perform a jump. If done correctly, you will slide across the ground while in idle stance. If done too early, you will perform a fakie. If done too late, you will simply spindash. If successful, as you slide you can perform many commands such as shielding, sidestepping, smashing, rolling in either direction, and so forth. DO NOT pseudo wavedash + sliding upspecial. You will fly clear out of the map.

Even without these advanced techniques Tails' pride is his combo game. See what attacks chain best based on your opponent AND HIS/HER % AT THAT TIME. Practice such techniques in training mode against idle targets to see if a combo is viable. Since an idle cpu in training mode will not DI after getting struck, ask yourself how long it took to chain from one hit to another. "Would a human have counterattacked me by now?" See what attacks cause what landing lag and so forth. This advice is typical for any character but for Tails this is paramount to a fast and easy kill.

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?

Last edited by RemPrower on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:01 am

MGN Username: JollyJuggernaut
Currently Playing: SSF2, Minesweeper (lol), SSBB, SSBM
Quote:
I'll check through my replays and post a couple of good ones. I can't tell you too well how to play him, but you can watch how I play him and attempt to imitate what makes sense to you.

Obviously the 1st thing you want to do is to know your moveset and what each attack does. Another thing you will want to understand is Tails has fantastic tech chasing and combo ability. I just changed my fighting style again about two days ago. My success with it has been an overbearingly massive improvement.

Lastly there are three advanced techniques you want to know about.

1st would be fakies. Jump in the air and charge a spindash. Before letting go of the special button, jump in the air while still holding it. you will cancel the spindash and perform a jump, which you can then perform another command instead.

2nd is dashing upspecial. It's very straightforward. Just use upspecial at the beginning of a dash and you will shoot forward a far distance with it.

Lastly is the ever coveted pseudo wavedash. Jump in the air and charge a spindash. Land on the ground while still charging. immediately after releasing special, perform a jump. If done correctly, you will slide across the ground while in idle stance. If done too early, you will perform a fakie. If done too late, you will simply spindash. If successful, as you slide you can perform many commands such as shielding, sidestepping, smashing, rolling in either direction, and so forth. DO NOT pseudo wavedash + sliding upspecial. You will fly clear out of the map.

Even without these advanced techniques Tails' pride is his combo game. See what attacks chain best based on your opponent AND HIS/HER % AT THAT TIME. Practice such techniues in training mode against idle targets to see if a combo is viable. Since an idle cpu in training mode will not DI after getting struck, ask yourself how long it took to chain from one hit to another. "Would a human have counterattacked me by now?" See what attacks cause what landing lag and so forth. This advice is typical for any character but for Tails this is paramount to a fast and easy kill.

Thank you for the thoughtful response, Remmy! :)

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:23 am

people despise tails side-b very much, because its like shieks chain, EXEPT ITS MOVING, RIGHT AT YOU, AT HIGH VELOCITY, COMBOS INTO FAIR, UAIR, AND DAIR. CAN BE SLOWED DOWN, JUMPED WITH, AND HAS HIGH PRIORITY.

My main is tails.

My soundcloud (no relation to other accounts of the same name, its a long story)

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:22 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Bomono wrote:
people despise tails side-b very much, because its like shieks chain, EXEPT ITS MOVING, RIGHT AT YOU, AT HIGH VELOCITY, COMBOS INTO FAIR, UAIR, AND DAIR. CAN BE SLOWED DOWN, JUMPED WITH, AND HAS HIGH PRIORITY.

It has less lag at the beginning and ant the end and it can be grabbed fairly easy if predicted.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:36 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Skailler wrote:
Bomono wrote:

It has less lag at the beginning and ant the end and it can be grabbed fairly easy if predicted.

Can confirm that it is totally shieldgrabbable, even if the tails holds special (this move has no shieldstun lol). Btw this move comes out on frame 3.

BUT, if you get hit with this then you are going to probably be eating one or two more, and then the follow up. The majority of low-level Tails players probably abuse this move to no end, and it gives Tails a bad name.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:23 am

Phoenix Wright wrote:
Skailler wrote:
Bomono wrote:

Can confirm that it is totally shieldgrabbable, even if the tails holds special (this move has no shieldstun lol). Btw this move comes out on frame 3.

BUT, if you get hit with this then you are going to probably be eating one or two more, and then the follow up. The majority of low-level Tails players probably abuse this move to no end, and it gives Tails a bad name.

i try to stop abusing the moment that the other player starts abusing me for using it.

Rule #1 about OOS as tails, you have a massive amount of options, jump side-b, tailsdash reverse fsmash, tailsdash into walk canceled pivot upsmash/downsmash/ftitlt/dashattack/spindash/side-b, jump nair, jump upair, jump spindash, jump tailsdash spotdodge for a slightly better roll, jump tailsdash shield, and jump backair if you are ballsy.

rule#2 a lot of tails combos are pseudo combos and you must be carful not to get punsiehd for doing them.

rule#3 raw fair leads into more combos than side-b fair, its odd but trust me on it.

rule#4 foxtrot, it allows tails to have many more followups to his combos and allows side-b fair to combo into more things than normal.

rule#5 abuse priority and memorize it.

rule#6 dont hold forward and spam fair, fair chains are only safe at medium precents, and even then dont hold forward when doign them, use the c-stick to space out the fairs to maximize safety, with the new patch jumps reset momentum so you dont have to worry about not being able to follow up on the next fair.

rule#7 use spindash fakeout, and jump out of spindash airdodge as a offensive spotdodge option, or tailsdash spotdodge out of it as a roll, spindash can be used very effectivly as a offensive shield.

rule#8 dont give up side-b chains easy, if the charecter is heavy carry them as far as possible, and if possible diar them off the stage when doing it.

rule#9 side-b has a variable momentum, you can keep the opponent from Diing inwards to escape via holding back, more than that if you hold down while side-bing and jump you will do a shorthop, this is useful for small chjarectersl ike kirby who can di down to avoid the fulljump, or heavy charecters liek fox who you can overshoot if you try the fulljump side-b into fair, also keep track of where the oppoentn is durring the side-b if they are high enough above consider your options and determine if a fiar or upair is more apporopriate given the situation.

rule#10 tails uptilt can stab platforms and lead to combos out of the stab, tails shortjump upair can stab platforms and potentially sweetspot kill.

rule#11 recovering is a very option based prospect, you can fastfall your spidnashes whilst spindashing to go at a diagonal curve for a offensive recovery and recovery fakeouts, if you are at non kill % but offstage and moderately high, use bair into up-b rather than spindash to recover, it saves jumps. neutral b can also be used to stall and access safe points on flatter stages.

rule#12 upsmash > downsmash. downsmash is just too risky, its ending lag is far too much for anything outside of a tailsdash downsmash approach. fsmash is bad for anything besides tailsdash out of shield reverse fsmash retreat. its kill power and combo power are beaten by both bair and fair in most instances, and it doesn't even send them at a good angle, it is no more safe than tails better options.

rule#13 upthrow leads into either fair or upair depending on the di, both can kill at reasonable percents.

rule#14 areal spindash always leads into fair.

even if i dont follow these rules, they are the rules you should generally follow, but its important to remeber that shieldgrab with tails is suicide,

My main is tails.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm

MGN Username: knight223
Currently Playing: SSF2, Brave Frontier, Unison Leauge
Can someone tell me the match up between Tails and Marth.

Characters I barley use: Marth

Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:29 am

Currently Playing: Robin via SSB WiiU
I'm training my Tails, how do I master him completely? Any advice works.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:52 am

TerraForm wrote:
I'm training my Tails, how do I master him completely? Any advice works.

u c-stick for arials, dont waste your jumps, and know when to space and when to combo, tails cant combo reliably at low precents on most charecters, you have to space easrly on, and preform large combos at medium to high precents. know your kill mvoes, and sweetspot fair, always edgegaurd. just play him you will get a feel for him.

3ds1234 wrote:
Can someone tell me the match up between Tails and Marth.

grossly in marths favor.

My main is tails.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:08 am

MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
With bomono out of favor with Tails, somehow I feel like I'm the only Tails main left. Is this gonna cause him to get overhauled? The thing is, there's not very much wrong with him, unless I've gotten used to it and there's a lot wrong with him. I couldn't say if he has plenty kill moves or a few, if he has too much priority or too little, so on so forth. I trust our dev team and our balancers, but sometimes I wonder what's gonna happen to the little guy.

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:54 pm
 [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 29  Next