The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 pm

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
My Sprite Topic 
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Ziku wrote:
The "style you're going for" doesn't suit the characters to begin with

I think he's just trying to develop a general style to project on all time projects, really.

@Trebean; regardless of style, the theory behind shading a muscle remains roughly the same, I also linked you to material from various styles, and as you can see they all have similairities. Pick those outs, and learn from them is my advice.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 am

Steven wrote:
Ziku wrote:

I think he's just trying to develop a general style to project on all time projects, really..

That's honestly an awful idea. Sprites and characters are, in most situations, heavily stylized and they should remain as such. There SHOULD be a hundred different styles a spriter has to adapt to because not all sprites can work in the same style. As the guy who opposed the Brawlification of Smash Flash 2 waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I still stand by it.
Can a character look good in multiple styles? Sure. EVERY style? No.
Ad if this is just a practice template it should be applied towards edits that look okay when it is executed

Thu May 09, 2013 8:12 am

Ziku wrote:

It shouldn't be judged on what style it is based off... Ever. It should only be judged on how well the artist adapts that character/object to that style.

Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 am
Site Moderator

Ziku wrote:
Steven wrote:
Ziku wrote:

I think he's just trying to develop a general style to project on all time projects, really..

That's honestly an awful idea. Sprites and characters are, in most situations, heavily stylized and they should remain as such. There SHOULD be a hundred different styles a spriter has to adapt to because not all sprites can work in the same style. As the guy who opposed the Brawlification of Smash Flash 2 waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I still stand by it.
Ad if this is just a practice template it should be applied towards edits that look okay when it is executed

By all means a respectable opinion mr. Ziku, but keep in mind that
YouTube Video:

Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Ziku wrote:

I don't get what you're saying.
The "style" I was referring to to Damian, was for an entirely different sprite.
If you're referring to the Scott Pilgrim Sprites, those where made back when the Expansion Forums where active and I was planning on making him, obviously for size comparisons, I wanted to make them as proportioned to the normal JUS Sprite, but still have their own comic-booky effect.

Also the extra shades for the outlines was for palette reasons (Yeah I know the SSF2 Engine uses tints, but I like messing around with palettes, like changing all the outlines to black for a more comic book like look, if I had the time, I would have probably added a smart palette.)

Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 am

Hands!? Why must you anger me!?
Can't seem to get both hands correct, the Black Blank outline part was copied off another sprite, the red and head were fully custom.

Sat May 11, 2013 9:50 am
trebean wrote:
[ Image ]
Hands!? Why must you anger me!?
Can't seem to get both hands correct, the Black Blank outline part was copied off another sprite, the red and head were fully custom.

I see a thumb, but thats really it. It appears there are no fingers besides the thumb. Also the hand looks way to circular.

Sat May 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Michael M wrote:
It shouldn't be judged on what style it is based off... Ever. It should only be judged on how well the artist adapts that character/object to that style.

I know this is late... but if the forum had a like button, this would get one. Also not only how well it adapts to the style, but how well it adapts to the environment around it. Cave Story (the original pc port) is an example of having a very NES style character in a very SNES style environment. But nonetheless it worked well.
ninja_pig_pro wrote:
I see a thumb, but thats really it. It appears there are no fingers besides the thumb. Also the hand looks way to circular.

It's incomplete, and coloring and shading can alter the circular appearance and show fingers.

@trebean
Don't fret over the hands just yet, you can make it work by certain color choices and shading. Look at a Jump Ultimate Stars sprite, and look at the details of the hands for reference (reference being to take notes, not copy paste). The only thing weird I see with your outline is the wrists. Overall a pretty good outline, and the head looks well detailed. Keep it up.

Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 pm

:P wrote:

@trebean
Don't fret over the hands just yet, you can make it work by certain color choices and shading. Look at a Jump Ultimate Stars sprite, and look at the details of the hands for reference (reference being to take notes, not copy paste). The only thing weird I see with your outline is the wrists. Overall a pretty good outline, and the head looks well detailed. Keep it up.

Haven't been to this place in a while, saving up for college is taking up it's toll in my time.
I can see what's wrong with the wrist I'll try to fix it if I have time today.

EDIT:
Moved the hand then added a weapon. I'm still visualizing a good leg base.

Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 am
The left hand doesn't look like it is holding the weapon.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:44 am

trebean wrote:
Haven't been to this place in a while, saving up for college is taking up it's toll in my time.
I can see what's wrong with the wrist I'll try to fix it if I have time today.

EDIT:
[ Image ]
Moved the hand then added a weapon. I'm still visualizing a good leg base.

The pipe is just a pixel off the angle. When I do custom sprites, I tend to use google images for an idea of what perspective, and posture to use for reference. Also a basic understanding in anatomy (i mean real basic) can help as well. Perhaps you can do the same to help visualize a good leg base.

And applying for scholarships should help you tremendously. Seriously, you can get 1000 dollars or more towards college for doing, being, or having the most random things. Or hell, if you think you can do it, you can apply for an internship. As long as you get the grades, some companies will pay your tuition entirely, house you, and even pay you while you work the job. (its extremely hard work though, and you will lose a lot of free time)

Mon May 27, 2013 7:42 pm

ninja_pig_pro wrote:

That's probably because there's no fingers yet (Because there's no shading yet)

Tue May 28, 2013 4:50 am

trebean wrote:
ninja_pig_pro wrote:

That's probably because there's no fingers yet (Because there's no shading yet)

Actually, I thnk the hand is in the wrong angle to look like it's holding the weapon.

Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 am
Site Moderator

Right now it looks like he's strummin' on a guitar, yes. The grip (and therefore the base of the hand) should be angled differently.

Tue May 28, 2013 8:39 am

Adding highlights are hard.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 am
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2