The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:34 pm

[ 10 posts ] 
My regular *not animated* sprites 

How do you like my pictures?
Awesome 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Cool 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Good 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ok 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mehh... 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Bad 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Terrible 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Absolutely Horrid 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
I have no idea... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

My regular *not animated* sprites 

Currently Playing: Everybody Edits, SSF2, SSF, Shellshock Live, Block Miner, Super Mario Brothers X
This is topic is for anyone to post their still pictures, or comment about mine.

Attachments:
File comment: This is a human, unlike my hedgehogs.
Dominic the Human.png
Dominic the Human.png [ 9.07 KiB | Viewed 2425 times ]

Boredom is suckish. >_<
Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:21 pm
YIM

Where do i begin with this?

The shading is terrible, the colors are plain, the hair is terribly blended in outline/detail/shading and the face structure is out of place.
For a beginner, its a fine shot but you're gonna need more practice. The leg outline is good i guess?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Michael M wrote:
Where do i begin with this?

The shading is terrible, the colors are plain, the hair is terribly blended in outline/detail/shading and the face structure is out of place.
For a beginner, its a fine shot but you're gonna need more practice. The leg outline is good i guess?

How about instead of completely bashing him, you criticize while telling him how to fix it?

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Ok... I was harsh..
Heres a tutorial i hope it can help you in some direction

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
A better way to draw custom characters is by making a stick figure first. That way, your characters won't come out with sloppy lines or lacking anatomy.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 am

Michael M wrote:
Ok... I was harsh..
[ Image ]

yeah, yours might actually look worse.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 am

Key wrote:
Michael M wrote:
Ok... I was harsh..
[ Image ]

yeah, yours might actually look worse.

Now, now, let's not start on this.

To 1Line088;
Now, don't get me wrong, but I believe you're in the earlier stages of spriting. You've already got a good grasp of the simpler facettes of spriting, although here are a few things you could do in order to take another step;
Your sprite is a partially shaded black-outlined character. Personally, I'd suggest for now, is to try and use references - perhaps sprite an already existing character, or draw-out the character before you sprite it. This'll give you a good grasp at what you're attempting (even if you're bad at drawing).
Or, if you want to go a little more in-depth, there's the shading you apply - when you use a darker color than the 'primary' color, and then outlining it (much as you outline the whole sprite in black), that is called 'pillow shading' (in reference to pillows, which have a particular type of shading reminding users of this). Pillow shading, normally, in the quasi-totality of your works, dangerously lowers the quality of a sprite. In order to avoid pillow shading, try to imagine a light source, and where it is coming from - as you can obviously guess, a light source is never directly in front of a character, naturally. Using this light source, try to guess where the shading would be. A good trick is to look at spherical objects, as they really demonstrate how light sources work.

I hope I helped. Good luck!

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Not start on what? We don't want someone thinking they are better then they are.

What happened to all the good spriters in spriter's corner? oh yeah, ssf2 development.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Key wrote:
Not start on what? We don't want someone thinking they are better then they are.

What happened to all the good spriters in spriter's corner? oh yeah, ssf2 development.

I only posted a quick tutorial i whipped up on my own to help him up a bit. To you and some others, its bad, but to him, it at least could help him up a bit in some direction.

No need to bash on me now
(But yea.. Its best to start from making a stick figure for proper anatomy, like Damian said)

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Key wrote:

Indeed, although it's a better idea to go disgress about that in the according topic.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 am
 [ 10 posts ]