The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:01 pm

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Poltergadget - Ruin This Guy's Day 

MGN Username: Detta
Waifu: Zinnia

i'm a piece of crap who can't keep focused on just one game SO.
fairly confident i could finish this one 100x faster than any other game i have planned though

Gameplay: You play as Giz (pronounced like in gizmo), a poltergeist who possesses appliances and other electronic devices in order to ruin some guy's day. Flip the light switch incessantly, burn toast, hit people with microwave doors, turn the windshield wipers on and off, change the TV channel, overflow the washing machine. Do whatever you can to make this guy's day terrible.
Roughly speaking this is something of a puzzle game. The guy (currently unnamed) will attempt to fix whatever you screw with, but he can only do so much. Each "level" is passed by screwing up enough of his stuff.

Story: Ruin guy's day.

Programming: GameMaker Studio 1.4 Professional. Yep, still stuck with this.

Team members: Me

Stuff to show (newest at top):
YouTube Video:

"made a blender (complete with fruit smoothie) and set up a textbox system. also made the poltergeist a bit smaller when moving between appliances, and slightly moved the cabinets."

YouTube Video:

"some visual stuff and smoothing out of movements/interactions (can't pour coffee if the coffee pot already has all the coffee in it)
also meet the guy whose day gets to be ruined"

YouTube Video:

"aforementioned new input display for the other game. limitations placed on appliance usage: you can only mess with one at a time, and you can switch between them with left/right. you are also (reasonably) locked out of any given action for a short time after performing an action. N/M are just debug buttons used to reset the toast and coffee pot."

Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:15 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I don't want to be rude but there is a game already that plays exactly like this; you're a ghost who must scare people out of their houses by possessing stuff. I can't remember the name but Game Grumps did an episode on it.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Ghost Trick uses a similar idea but s*** son it's a cool concept anyway

and tbh Ruin This Guy's Day is a 9/10 game title

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 am

Steven wrote:
I don't want to be rude but there is a game already that plays exactly like this; you're a ghost who must scare people out of their houses by possessing stuff. I can't remember the name but Game Grumps did an episode on it.

Not the same thing I'm going for, you're not scaring him out of his house, just bothering him endlessly. And I'm not at all surprised there are other games where you possess things as a ghost.

You end up following him in his car and to work as well, if that makes any difference lol.

Also I'm learning a lot of stuff in the process which is one of the main reasons I'm making it, so a very similar game wouldn't stop me anyway.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

MGN Username: -CJ-
Currently Playing: Risk of Rain, Toribash, and of course SSF2
Waifu: Sandwiches
Looks cool, put up a link to it when you finish, these games are something I really enjoy.

To all you Luigi mains (and others), come on over to Luigi's Mansion! The FA official Luigi discord: https://discord.gg/3hp8e9a

The Filthy Casuals crew discord: https://discord.gg/dVxVham
^A crew all about improvement and growth, I host tournaments at least once a month in this server^.

Speaking of tournaments! ->: https://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtop ... 29&t=46713

Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:34 pm
Site Moderator

@Term: The game I was thinking off is called Haunt the House: terrortown, not Ghost Trick

DettaDoodle wrote:
Steven wrote:

Not the same thing I'm going for, you're not scaring him out of his house, just bothering him endlessly. And I'm not at all surprised there are other games where you possess things as a ghost.

You end up following him in his car and to work as well, if that makes any difference lol.

Also I'm learning a lot of stuff in the process which is one of the main reasons I'm making it, so a very similar game wouldn't stop me anyway.

Yeah no by all means don't let me stop you, I was just pointing it out. If anything you may turn to Haunt the House as inspiration as what you can do or what has already been done.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
I've been laughing for 10 minutes straight with the title, it sounds hilarious.
Good luck with both SELUNA and this game, I always love spooky stuff c:

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:15 pm

YouTube Video:

finished textbox system (aside from modifications i'll make for menus), complete with custom font and textboxes which size themselves based on the input string.

this is a long way from copy/pasting letters in paint and then making a new sprite for every textbox lmao. which is what i did for RMS until i got sick of it.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:26 am

YouTube Video:

action menu system, microwave does more things, added a light switch.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:22 am

Waifu: I'm married
this is good training for when houses are integrated and we become 1337 hackers

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:53 pm
YIM WWW
Site Moderator

Kittenpuncher wrote:
this is good training for when houses are integrated and we become 1337 hackers

Isnt this pretty much the plot of Watchdogs

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 am

Waifu: I'm married
Yeah but watchdogs makes it dumb by having you actually be there

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:18 pm
YIM WWW

hey i'm not dead

YouTube Video:

some more additions, rounding out the kitchen; this should be the last of the appliances/interactable objects in the room.

the freezer will begin to frost the room if left open too long, and the food in the fridge will begin to smell if it is left open too long. will get to those later, however. faucet doesn't do much at the moment.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 am

YouTube Video:

Added a dishwasher. This should be the last appliance in this area.
Also gave the room a splash of color, and trimmed the counter towards the end.

YouTube Video:

Began to program The Guy’s AI. At this basic level, messing with any appliance will add its index to the end of a queue (really just a string) and, while there is at least one index in the queue, The Guy will walk towards that appliance until he is close to it. Once he reaches the appliance, he will pop its value off of the queue (really just deleting the first index of the string). This continues until the queue is empty.
Eventually, he will have something like a suspicion level, and if you interact with the object while he is near it, it will startle him. A cool idea might be to build up a combo by having him go back and forth between appliances to increase his suspicion level, then cash in the combo by startling him.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
idk how your code looks or what this is being written in but you know there's an actual Queue class you can use rather than faking one with a String, right?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:22 am
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next