The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 am

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
an idea for local tourneys? 
BR Member

MGN Username: mcompany
Currently Playing: ssf2,melee,pm,sm4sh
Just an idea, if you go to regular smash tournaments (melee, sm4sh) and you know a TO, you should try to let ssf2 as a side event in some of them to raise awareness that we exist

ssf2 main: idk, haven't seriously played yet. secondaries/jokes: :gameandwatch: :marth: :link: :sandbag: :jigglypuff: :falco:

Pm main:g&w second: ROB, lucario

Sm4sh main: good question

Man do I wish there were local ssf2 tourneys or at least side events so my practice is actually worth it.

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:07 am

MGN Username: SpaceMiner
Currently Playing: super smash flash 2
Its a gr8 idea

Mon May 25, 2015 12:04 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
TOs aren't gonna want to run an extra event normally, so if you do this make sure that you're prepared to run it yourself

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 am
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
As far as I'm aware, setting up IRL tournaments in SSF2 is a complete nightmare because of all the controller setups/configurations required by each player. Every time I've seen a tourney, it's taken ~1 hour per set due to all the setup required.

Mon May 25, 2015 12:03 pm
BR Member

Dark Ermac wrote:
As far as I'm aware, setting up IRL tournaments in SSF2 is a complete nightmare because of all the controller setups/configurations required by each player. Every time I've seen a tourney, it's taken ~1 hour per set due to all the setup required.

I guess, although if GameCube remotes would be standard (considering that it's more of a promotion side event), that could quicken up setup times.

Then the only problem would be having enough computers to have it run smoothly. Not a perfect idea, just an idea.

ssf2 main: idk, haven't seriously played yet. secondaries/jokes: :gameandwatch: :marth: :link: :sandbag: :jigglypuff: :falco:

Man do I wish there were local ssf2 tourneys or at least side events so my practice is actually worth it.

Tue May 26, 2015 7:31 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
badcon troller wrote:
Dark Ermac wrote:

I guess, although if GameCube remotes would be standard (considering that it's more of a promotion side event), that could quicken up setup times.

Then the only problem would be having enough computers to have it run smoothly. Not a perfect idea, just an idea.

Yeah that's exactly my thoughts if this was being done at a typical smash event with the intent of getting people to try the game.

Once an actual scene develops, it becomes more feasible to support the other control schemes. In this regard, if someone uses an alternate control scheme (such as a fightstick or X360/PS3/etc) then it should be on them to either provide their own setup with the functionality for their controller set up. Then, if they can't set up their computer to support a GC controller on their own, have a TO at the venue set up the computer so that their computer can support a GC controller.

It might be rough, but I think we should recommend that people play using a GC controller if at all possible (and I'm sure if we got people from the smash community into SSF2 they would), but we should try to accommodate all styles of play (which would take some time).

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue May 26, 2015 3:03 pm

MGN Username: TaylorGang
Currently Playing: SSF2
Its a good idea if anyone needs help setting up a gamecube controller I would be more then happy to help and even give you the files and xpadder if needed.

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/TaylorJames1234?lang=en
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/taypalacio/

Tue May 26, 2015 4:13 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
But the GameCube suuuucks for this game. It's layout just isn't well suited for this all digital input game and has fewer buttons than most other controllers.

This is the 4-player setup I have on my Xpadder to all of my controllers.

Played 1 - Red, Player 2 - Blue, Player 3 - Yellow, Player 4 - Green.

I think if every tournament setup maintained this, or a similar configuration, you could use the same Xpadder/Joy2Key profile to cover mostly all controllers. It'll set the same keys to the stick-1, stick-2, D-pad, and buttons. You'll only have to adjust deadzones and the in-game buttons layout to fit your needs before playing a set. It allows any controller plugged-in the option to change between player 1 through 4 ports with one-click, as well as make Keyboard vs. Controller accessible. I think a standardized layout to apply to configure to controllers is possible and better than just standardizing one type of controller to use.

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Tue May 26, 2015 8:28 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
official ssf2 sets only run gcc so thats what id recommend

Tue May 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
I'd think it be unwise or not necessary. We're already limiting a large portion of the player-base getting rid of keyboards because they aren't coherent at this point. Now going for a single type of controller to further shrink; not sure how I feel about that when there's a possible simple solution aside from that.

YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive

Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm

MGN Username: qqwxiron,IronH
We want that auto-dash boiz.

♪ But first let me play another #friendly!

Tue May 26, 2015 9:17 pm
BR Member

For now, especially when ssf2 is lesser known by the official smash community, doing a ssf2 side event at, say, a melee tourney, most people wouldn't join if GC controllers wasn't standard.

As for other config types, I think it is a matter of whether that is the preference of everyone, and a matter being able to have a universal config that can be saved for everyone to use. This could mean that we may even be able to make gamepads become less of a setup chore as we could just load the config files (assuming that there is a common program for most/all gamepads) and the only change of controls is tap jump.

However, keyboard vs controller won't happen until someone finds something to separate keyboards to make them fully configurable for 2 reasons
1. people could cheat and just press their opponent's buttons
2. Most keyboard players use variations of a player 1 setup. Would it really be that fair forcing someone on a different setup?

Tue May 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I still find keyboard too conflicting for the local competitive-scene at this point, but still try to accommodate Keyboard vs. Controller at the least. If Player-1 is the keyboard player on a mini-keyboard without arrow-keys & numpad, that will allow the controller user to be on the Player-2 port without worrying about their controls being tempered with. P1 will have the freedom to arrange the letter-keys for their hand placements.

YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive

Tue May 26, 2015 10:48 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
There should be some research into how to map keys so that you can avoid these problematic setups. Ideally, there would be some way to set one input device to remapped keys (arrow and numpad controls), and that way two players can play using preferred setups and not have problems.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 pm
BR Member

I might check into it again, but last time I checked, the best I could find was keyboard remapping software that remaps ALL keyboards and does it through the registry, so it might work for keyboard vs controller, but not keyboard vs keyboard and seems like a over-the-top plan if there were planning to be multiple computers

Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 pm
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next